PDA

View Full Version : Skunk!!!

Pawla
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't have a dog, but my friend just called and her's has had an encounter with a skunk. Can anyone tell me what she might do about the smell? I've always heard tomato juice, but I'm thinking that this might not work well with a white dog. Any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

bckrazy
07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Gonzo has been skunked so many times... it's horrible. The only thing that has really worked well is a product by Nature's Miracle, for skunk odors. You can buy it at Petsmart/Petco. ;]

Pawla
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Thank you! She will appreciate all the help she can get!

clara4457
07-30-2007, 08:37 PM
This works wonders - I've tried it myself and it definitely works, plus you probably have the ingredients at home. The faster you do it after skunking the better it works.

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent (Dawn works best)
Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

Taz_Zoee
07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, since we just went through this back in April, I can tell you what we did. Zoee got it right in the eye and mouth. :( At first we did the tomato, and yes she was pink for a day or so. :p But then I tried all different kinds of recipes that I had heard of. I think the best one is the one clara4457 posted. But it will need to be done LOTS of times. And let your friend know that the dog will stink for MONTHS after every time it gets wet. Zoee smells bad after a swim. :o And if it was in the face don't forget to clean out the ears. I wish your friend luck and she will actually get used to the smell eventually.....I did.

Pawla
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
she will actually get used to the smell eventually.....I did.
Thank you for your advice. I'm sure she will love to here this! LOL!

cyber-sibes
07-30-2007, 10:45 PM
My Star gets a skunk every year. :rolleyes: I've given up, she's gonna smell like a skunk when she gets wet forever!
Yes, that's the skunk remedy recipe. It works pretty well.

Here's a website with some interesting info from the man who developed it, he's a chemist:
Skunk Remedy (home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/contents.htm)

Lady's Human
07-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I second the nature's miracle......Lady was skunked several times in our old home.

(I think she finally learned.........There's a skunk carcass buried under our deck...)