PDA

View Full Version : Dog-dish cake

cassiesmom
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I saw this on another forum, and it just made me smile...

"Dog Food Bowl" Cake Recipe: For Humans Only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does someone you know love dogs? Really love dogs? And do they have a celebration coming up? Then try this recipe for a cake that looks like a food bowl filled with kibble! But don't feed any to your dogs please!

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-activi...bowl-cake.aspx

Karen
07-30-2007, 04:39 PM
That link doesn't work - could you recheck it?

I_luv_rusty
07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
The link doesn't work for me ethier :o

Freckles
07-30-2007, 05:43 PM
This should work (http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-activities/dog-fun/dog-bowl-cake.aspx)

There's a slide show of pictures that demonstrate the steps.

dukedogsmom
07-31-2007, 12:19 AM
That is so cool! I might make one on my days off. Here's a recipe I found at LJ
Ingredients
Chocolate cake mix (18.25 oz.)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup oil
Flour for dusting pans
1 large can of vanilla frosting
Food coloring (to “color” food bowl; choose your favorite color)
3 cups Cocoa Puffs cereal

Directions:

1. Flour two round, 9-inch cake pans.

2. Prepare cake batter as indicated on the box of cake mix.

3. Pour equal portions of batter into each floured cake pan. Make sure the batter is evenly spread by tapping each pan on the counter a few times.

4. Bake the cakes according to the directions on the box. When the cakes are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool for at least 45 to 60 minutes.

5. While you’re waiting for your cakes to cool, empty the can of vanilla frosting into a large bowl. With a spatula, blend drops of food coloring with the frosting until you achieve the color you want.

6. Once the cakes are cool, remove one from the pan and place it flat-side down on a tray, plate, or other flat surface. With your colored frosting, frost the top and sides of the cake.

7. Remove the second cake from the pan, and place it on a plate, flat-side down. With a large knife held parallel to the top of the cake, trim off the rounded top of the cake until you’re left with a flat top.

8. Place the (unfrosted) flat-top cake onto the frosted cake, top-side down. The bottom of the unfrosted cake will now be the top.

9. With a knife, cut small, 1/4-inch slices off the unfrosted cake. Work all around the edges. This will give the cake a tapered look, because the top cake will be slightly smaller than the bottom cake.

10. The next step is to cut out the circle that will be the bowl part of the cake. Use whatever circle is handy (for example, a clean dish) to trace the outline of a circle onto the top of the cake with a knife. The size of the circle will determine the size of your bowl. I left about 2 inches on all sides, making a relatively shallow bowl.

11. Gently score the inside of the circle with a knife (I made an X). This will make it easier to remove the cake from inside the circle to make your bowl. Remove a thin layer from inside the circle. You don’t need to remove much cake. Despite what the finished result looks like, the bowl is actually very shallow.

12. With your colored frosting, frost the top cake, starting with the edges of the bowl, then inside the bowl. You may need to use an extra amount of frosting around the bowl and around the sides of the cake where you tapered it, because the cake is exposed in these areas, and the crumbs will stick to the frosting as you spread it.

13. Work the frosting all around the cake until it is completely frosted. Smooth the frosting as much as possible to achieve a glossy bowl look. You may need to use two or three layers of frosting.

14. Once the cake is completely frosted, gently place Cocoa Puffs into the bowl, one or two at a time, until the bowl is filled with “kibble.”

15. Enjoy your dog bowl cake!

16. If you’re celebrating a special occasion, you can decorate your dog bowl cake however you wish.