PDA

View Full Version : Heel spurs?

catnapper
07-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Remember when I hurt my foot last winter? The doctor said that the toe wasn't officially broken but the X-rays revealed that I had heel spurs. At the time it didn't mean anything to me because I wasn't ever on my feet too long. Well it means a lot to me now. I feel crippled by the end of the day. My feet throb at work and some days I groan when I realize I have to get up from my desk to greet a customer. By bed time.... well, if you need a laugh, watch me go down the steps to let Nicki out.

Hubby's been the same way and he had X-Rays done a few weeks ago to confirm it. So we're suffering together. You should have seen us last night. Two oldsters sitting on the couch. Both were thirsty but neither one of us could get up to refill our cups because of our throbbing heels.

I did a quick online search for remedies. But I kept finding people selling stuff. I don't want to buy something unless I've heard its effective. A coworker said there are stretching exercises that provide relief, but I couldn't find it online. I did chuckle over many sites saying Birkenstocks provide relief. Can you see me dressed up for work and wearing Birkenstocks? LOLOLOL Hubby said a lot of people have told him about those sandals. Speaking of hubby, his doctor confirmed heel spurs but didn't say anything about how to get relief.... he only mentioned that if it gets too painful to go to the orthopedist. :rolleyes:

Anyone have/had them? What can we do to get some relief? Different shoes brands? Supportive insoles? Stretches? What worked/works for you????

Barbara
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Siegmar has it and he is wearing orthopedic insoles. They were prescribed by the doctor and they helped so well he didn't have to wear them after some time. He still wears them sometimes when he goes for a hike or so.

joycenalex
07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
heel stretches-put the biggest yellow pages/hardbacked book you can find on the floor, drop your heels off the side while you balance on the toes/forefoot 4-6 times a day. anti-inflammatories, motrin 800 mgs three times a day with food, a real meal. tape your heels-no not together :p but from the outside (little toe side) to the inside-(big toe side) this didn't work as well for me. coritsone injections can help, weight loss helps. and really well padded shoes help,-no more cute cheap shoes-heel pads with circular holes are available, hope some/any of this helps

Catsnclay
07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
ICE......when sitting down, put your feet up and place them on a bag of ice!

It has worked for me for several years! It is hard to get use to at first, but the ice numbs the pain, plus it is good for your heels, it will help the inflamed tissues to settle down and possiblely heal !

Also where those pads in your shoes. Take a look at some of the sales peoples shoes....you will be surprised how many are in sensible shoes Vs heels!

krazyaboutkatz
07-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain.:( I think that my mom also has this problem and she's been using the orthopedic insoles in her shoes and even in sandals for several years now. I know that if I wear sandals for too long or shoes that don't offer my feet much support that I'll also be in pain and my toes will hurt really bad. I hope you'll be able to find something that'll work for you.

shais_mom
07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
my mom swears by the heel inserts you can buy @ walmart.
to help relieve swelling - take a frozen bottle of water and run your foot over it -
it helps -
or a tennis ball - helps break up the spur
if you can find magnetic insoles or magnets for pain relief JUMP on them.
i don't know what it is - but it helps!