PDA

View Full Version : Breeder Question: Would You....

NicoleLJ
07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Sell a pup to someone with a New Born Baby?

Personally I would not. Even though I have raised puppies with a newborn and will be with the pup we keep since I am expecting in October. I still do not feel comfortable with sending a pup to a home with a newborn baby. Not because I don't know if they could handle it but because I know how much work it can be to raise a pup properly without a newborn let alone with one. Both are not easy but with a newborn you have added work and stress.

So what are your feelings?
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Karen
07-29-2007, 01:43 PM
For me, it would depend on the experience level of the family - both experience with children, and with pets. It would also depend if it were a one-adult home or two or more adults. By the time I was born, I am sore my parents could have handled me and a puppy at the same time, as I was kid #3, and the older two were old enough to take some pet care responsibilities.

If it were a single parent expecting a first child? No, as he or she will have enough to handle already. I'd advise him or her to rescue an older dog instead.

critter crazy
07-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I would have to say, it would all depend on the family, and their experiance level. My only concern is all these ads you see of people getting rid of the New puppy, because of the new baby. But if you know the family, and know whether or not they can hadle it, then sure. Cause there are alot of people who can handle it.

tessa_s212
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Not to most of the general public, but if say someone very experienced in training, showing, etc, then yes, I'd feel they would be capable of handling both without worrying.

lute
07-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I think it depends on the particular family and their situation. A newborn baby takes a lot of time, and so does a puppy. Unless the family for sure has enough time to devote to both the child AND the puppy I don't then I don't think it would be a good idea. If the family doesn't end up having enough time for both the child always comes first and the puppy could end up neglected, in a shelter, or chained up in the yard and forgotten.

Another thing I might add is the family might want to make sure their newborn isn't allergic to dogs. Just to prevent more of those "my baby is allergic, so we have to give up the dog." The dog doesn't understand. He just knows he's losing his family.

dab_20
07-30-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't think I personally would. I'm sure some families could handle a pup with a newborn if they are experienced enough, but I would want to feel completely sure. Maybe in a certain situation where they show dogs and are very experienced in training and stuff.

Genny
07-30-2007, 12:55 AM
I've never raised dogs and probably never will, but if I did then I guess I would after checking the family out and seeing how serious they are about getting a puppy. I'd want to make sure they were well experienced with dogs too.

Thirteen years ago When my little brother was born we got 2 new puppies shortly after (collie & great pyr) My dad brother and I all were here to help my mom out with everything, but it's not like it was impossible!! ;)

CathyBogart
07-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Personally, I would say absolutely not. A puppy is enough work by him/herself, as is a newborn baby....the combination would take a toll on anybody!

dukedogsmom
07-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Positively not. I've seen too many dogs given away just because someone had a baby :( I don't care how much experience they've had.

animal_rescue
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Honestly I never would, I just don't think it would be the best situation for a puppy and a newborn at all.

Ginger's Mom
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I think my answer would be the same no matter what scenario followed the question, Would you give a puppy to someone if... Everyone should be considered based on their own experiences, abilities and resources in raising a pup, and not based on any preconceived formula.

WELOVESPUPPIES
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I guess it would depend for me the reason a family would want to get the pup. I mean after I gave birth to my son I was not like 'hey lets run out and get a puppy'. I wanted to spend all my time with my son. I could not imaging changing diapers and cleaning up potty pads, trying to get my baby on a schedule, my new puppy on a schedule, trying to teach my pup household manners, I just think it would be very overwhelming for most. If they are a family that is into showing as some stated above and they have raised other children and have dogs in their households that they have had since pups then I guess you would have to just go with your heart, after all they are experienced.

cloverfdx
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Depends of the family. Friends of mine got an 8 week old BC pup, about a week later their baby daughter was born. The dog is nearly up to competing at Flyball now at about 14 - 15 months old and is a beautiful boy :). So it can work out fine.

Zippy
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't.They have there hands full with there baby and I would worry the puppy wouldn't get the time he/she needs.Having a puppy is alot of work and time.

bckrazy
07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I definitely do not think it's right to label people, based on the age of their kids. Some people do have the time & experience to raise a puppy and a child... but, I would have many talks with the family about whether or not they can handle both, and I would be super-extra-cautious!

mike001
07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
I would have to go with how much experience the family has. We always had dogs, even with our newborns, I didn't notice much difference as far as the workload or stress. I think dogs and kids growing up together is rather nice, especially with a newborn and a pup. Seems they bond closely and keep each other busy, the dog kind of babysits the child when the child starts walking around. I've got friends who just had a baby and they purposely went and bought a golden pup so the child and pup will bond as early as possible.They aren't having any problems with the situation at all.