PDA

View Full Version : Best Silver Cleaner?

Catty1
07-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I have some coffee spoons and some cutlery that was my and my sister's FIRST. I am assuming the coffee spoons are silver plate...not sure about the cutlery (I don't think Huckleberry Hound or Yogi the Bear came in silver plate...but anyway).

I know there is stuff called Silvo.

Any other stuff that you know works really well - home-made or commercial?

Thanks!

critter crazy
07-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Tarn-X has worked great for me!

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-959889reg.jpg

Craftlady
07-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Toothpaste works great on jewelery gold or silver, worth a try.

CathyBogart
07-29-2007, 10:01 AM
A paste of baking soda and water. :)

RedHedd
07-29-2007, 10:39 AM
If its REALLY tarnished, there's a baking soda, salt & hot water dip your can do (cheaper and safer than the store-bought dips and just as effective). I found the recipe last year when dealing with a large amount of very tarnished silver - Google is your friend. The tarnish pretty much just slips off. Then there's a 3M silver cream (can't remember the name -darn! Need more coffee this a.m.) that's real easy to use to polish.

Silver is a pain to keep up though. I have so much - my late husband was a collector - and it's almost impossible to sell. Even the local antique dealers won't touch it.

gini
07-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Be careful though, some of the commercial dips take a layer of silver right off with the tarnish (if it is silverplate).

The creams are the best to use, or at least what I have learned.

Catty1
07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I have Tarn-x, but still need the silver done....the rose cloths I have work ok. Baking soda, salt and hot water? Hmmm....I remember Googling this but not finding that idea.

Thanks!