PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of Billy Connolly?

Heather Wallace
07-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Just wondered if anyone has ever heard or seen someone called Billy Connolly?

He is a great comedian stand up, film star etc.

He is from my home city of Glasgow which is in Scotland.

Is there anyone form your place of birth who is now famous??

TheAntiPam
07-25-2002, 05:48 PM
The most famous person from my home town is an actress that had a one-line role in the Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want". :cool:

We obviously still need our 15 minutes of fame!
:p

Oh, and Yes Heather, I know about Billy - he's become a good actor - and I remember seeing a TV biography about him - and his home town! :) :)

mugsy
07-25-2002, 05:53 PM
Heather, wasn't he also on a sitcom here in the states???

lynnestankard
07-26-2002, 04:35 AM
HEATHER - LOVE THAT MAN TO BITS! HE REALLY HAS MY SENSE OF HUMOUR! AND HE;S PROVED HE'S A GOOD ACTOR TOO.

MUGSY - YES HE DID APPEAR IN A USA SITCOM - CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT.

MANCHESTER HAS LOTS OF STARS TO IT'S CREDIT - GROUPS FROM THE SIXITES LIKE THE HOLLIES AND HERMANS HERMITS AND OF COURSE DAVY JONES FROM THE MONKEES.
ACTORS GALORE INCLUDING IAN McSHANE AND BEN KINGSLEY.

MORE RECENTLY THE GROUP OASIS. AND THE WONDERFUL VOICE OF RUSSELL WATSON - WHO SANG AT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES LAST NIGHT

OH MUSTN'T FORGET THE HALLE ORCHESTRA AND L.S. LOWREY.

COME ON PET TALKERS - WHO'S FAMOUS FROM YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS?!

LYNNE

Heather Wallace
07-26-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mugsy

Yes thats right, he was a teacher I think, we alsohad it over here too.

Billy Connolly is one of Glasgows most famous sons, I love him yo death, hes the best.

Yes Lynne so many famous people have come from Manchester, its a shame, as like Glasgow the media gives it a bit of a hard time. I would like to visit there someday.

jennifert
07-26-2002, 07:35 AM
I don't think I know who Billy Connolly is? I'll have to see a picture....
BUT, believe it or not, there are soem famous people from my hometown!

First, Tom Cruise was born here and lived some of his childhood here before moving to Long Island I think.

Richard Gere lived here all through high school and his mother still lives in North Syracuse! When he was married to Cindy Crawford, they came home every Christmas and went to midnight mass at a local church. Needless to say, that church membership increased tenfold!

All the Baldwin(Alec,Billy, Steven) brothers are from here too and their mother still lives here also. They are all actually very active in the community. They participate in lots of local events and do tons of fundraising for breast cancer research. I've spotted them at the mall a few times myself!!!

And of course, there are also the athletes that attend Syracuse University and make it to the pros....And sportscasters like Bob Costas, that attended SU or Al Roker, who went to Oswego ( ~ 30 minutes from here)

So for a city of ~180,000 we have quite a few "claims to fame"

Karen
07-26-2002, 07:41 AM
The most famous person from the town where I grew up was Clara Barton, a nurse who, among her other accomplishments, founded the American Red Cross. She was born up the street from my parent's house, I went to Clara Barton Elementary School, traveled by the birthplace and down Clara Barton Road every day, and grew up thinking she was the most famous women ever! ;)

Logan
07-26-2002, 07:45 AM
If you're a baseball fan, you will remember "Shoeless Joe Jackson", who was from Greenville. A memorial to him was unveiled last week, as a matter of fact.

Another "famous" one who was born here (and I'm telling you this for information only, not bragging, for sure) is Rev. Jesse Jackson, who is not one of my favorite people.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. Karen, I think that is really neat that Clara Barton was born in your hometown. What a contribution she made that still affects so many people's lives.

Logan

mugsy
07-26-2002, 07:47 AM
Let's see...Shawn Kemp and Rod Woodson are from Fort Wayne and so is Shelly Long.

I remembered the sitcom...Head of the Class!!! I loved that show. Billy is a very funny man!

Lynne...I have a friend who was born and raised in Stockport. He came to the states on a soccer (football) scholarship and stayed. He's played professional indoor soccer and his brother is a big name in Canadian football. Does the name Ridgway sound familiar??

Edwina's Secretary
07-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Mugsy....

Don't forget Bill Blass -- who just died a few weeks ago. I keep asking my husband (who is from Fort Wayne and 20 years younger than Blass was) if he knew him!

My home town -- Rockford Illinois -- Janet Lynn -- an Olympic figure skater grew up there (she was in my class from grade school through graduation) Jane Addams of Hull House attended college there and lived there for a while, and Rockford claims -- although she was really from Belvidere -- Judy Ford -- a Miss America whose talent was the trampoline!

Paul
07-26-2002, 09:29 AM
   Photos and a filmography of Billy Connolly are here at the Internet Movie DataBase (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Connolly,+Billy). Once people see his photo more people will recognize him. (Unless there is another Billy Connolly from Glasgow.)

Paul

Gio
07-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Do I know Billy Connolly... I LOVE Billy Connolly. When I lived in England I used to watch all the stuff he was in. I even went to the pictures to see "Water" :D

ramanth
07-26-2002, 09:49 AM
No one from my home town had any 15 minutes of fame, but my mom's cousin was in Home Alone. He was on the airplane sitting behind the parents. :)

mugsy
07-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks Sara....I knew I was forgetting someone. HEY!! I remembered somone else....ok, old movie buffs.... how about Carole Lombard? She's from here. Her old home is now a B&B owned by one of my former teachers.

catland
07-26-2002, 03:08 PM
From the Portland area - two of my favorites...

the late, great Mel Blanc - voice of Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Elmer Fudd, etc....

Matt Groening - the creator of The Simpsons.

A little bit of Portland/Simpson trivia. Our streets in the northwest grid of town are from the early days of the city and are alphabetical. They include Ankeny, Burnside, Couch, Davis, Everett, Flanders, Glisan, Hoyt, Johnson, Kearny, Lovejoy, Marshall, Northrup, Overton, Pettygrove, Quimby, Raliegh, Savier, Thurmon and Vaughn. (hope I got that right - did it from memory)

Simpson fans, recognize a few of the character names from the above list?;)

mugsy
07-26-2002, 03:12 PM
catland, I recognize a few of those names as Civil War generals! lol

catland
07-26-2002, 03:46 PM
I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

mugsy
07-26-2002, 04:06 PM
It may be senators too, but I'm not sure...I'll have to go check my Civil War book and see.

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Paul

Photos and a filmography of Billy Connolly are here at the Internet Movie DataBase (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Connolly,+Billy). Once people see his photo more people will recognize him. (Unless there is another Billy Connolly from Glasgow.)

Paul

Your a star Paul, thanks for that.:) Great link.

Other famous Glasgow and Scottish people are:

LuLu, who sang 'you make me want to shout' in the 60's. Robbie Cultrane, actor and comedian, Sean Connory from the bond movies. Also a Scottish person invented penicillian, the television (John Logie Baird) and I think a Scottish person invented electricity but dont quote me on that one.

The Bay City Rollers where form Glasgow, Elvis also had Scottish roots, the band Texas are from Glasgow, also the lovely Ewan Mcgregor then of course theres ME! Only kidding.

mugsy
07-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Heather, the Bay City Rollers were from Edinburgh weren't they?

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Heather, the Bay City Rollers were from Edinburgh weren't they?

I think one or two where from Glasgow, but correct me if I'm wrong.

mugsy
07-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Now, Heather, remember I'm drawing on HOW many years ago?? lol I used to be a HUGE BCR fan. I was in love with Leslie and Eric! lol And I had friends who were in love with every other member! lol I thought they were all from Edinburgh, but then, I could be wrong. I know when they got Ian something or another, he was from Ireland, but that's as far as it goes! God, I'm OLD!

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 05:28 PM
Dear Mugsy, yes you are probably right, i do apologise. They are from scotland anyway! I was born in 75, so I am no authority on the subject.

Can I ask, do you look back and cringe that you where a BCR fan or do you look back with fond memories?

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Mugsy, just found this photo of me when I was about 3 yrs old, thats my aunt with me.

I am wearing something else that is famous in scotland. The kilt!

mugsy
07-27-2002, 05:37 PM
Heather,

Kind of both. I actually wore those hideous shin length pants with the plaid bottoms and sides and the striped socks....It's pretty scary!! lol

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 05:41 PM
Heather,

Kind of both. I actually wore those hideous shin length pants with the plaid bottoms and sides and the striped socks....It's pretty scary!! lol

Did you have a tartan scarf?

lovemymaltese
07-27-2002, 06:39 PM
I am from Warner Robins Georgia-- the home of Boobie Eakes (from the Bold and the Beautiful) and Victoria Principle.

mugsy
07-28-2002, 07:21 AM
That picture of you in the kilt is just too cute!!

I can't remember if I had the scarf or not, but I would think that I did. Now, that's a scary thought!!

Puffin83
07-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Florida? Well, Jimmy Buffet...<shudders>:o

AdoreMyDogs
07-28-2002, 08:32 AM
From Detroit and/or suburbs of:
ME! :)
Madonna
Kid Rock
Gilda Radner
Alice Cooper
and Bob Seger. My aunt actually went on a blind date with Bob Seger. She and her friend had double dates, and my aunt was hooked up with Bob Seger, before he was famous, of course. He was such a total jerk that my aunt pretended like she was going to go to the bathroom and she walked out on him.

He was certain that he was going to "score" with my aunt that he was not at all shy about sharing his thoughts with my aunt and her friend and her friends date. Needless to say he didn't "score" with my aunt :)

ChrisH
07-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Billy. Oh yes, he is THE MAN. I just love him.
No-one famous from my town, though there are quite a few from Wales itself. Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Jones, Richard Burton... I`m sure there are more but they don`t come to mind right now.

Heather Wallace
07-29-2002, 06:15 AM
Hi Chris

Charlotte Church also, a couple of members of the group Steps. Emmm..... Sir Harry secombe (hope I spelt it right!) Shirley Bassey, so many to choose from.

ChrisH
07-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Heather - Yes, of course those too, also Maniac Street Preachers and (I think) the Stereophonics, though I`m not sure if either of those are world famous. Anyway, :D , I think maybe we have nearly as many as Scotland. LOL. Though no-one to match the unique Billy!

kohala
07-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Until a few years ago, I used to be so proud to have known and graduated with:

OJ:eek:

Andie
07-29-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm from a little town that no one has ever heard of and no one has ever escaped from. LOL!

The only famous thing about New Madrid is the New Madrid Fault. Woohoo we get the earthquakes:rolleyes:

Heather Wallace
07-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by kohala
Until a few years ago, I used to be so proud to have known and graduated with:

LOL!

OJ:eek:

LoudLou
07-29-2002, 10:34 PM

Billy Connolly replaced Howard Hessman in the sitcom " Head of the Class":D

lynnestankard
07-30-2002, 04:38 AM
HEY KATE YOUR BACK - YOU'VE NOT POSTED FOR AGES -HOPE ALL IS O.K. WITH YOU - WELCOME HOME!!

LYNNE

delidog
07-30-2002, 05:08 AM
is that Loud Lou posting???? i had just put out an A.P.B. for you...
(All Pets Bulletin, that is!!!!)\
hope that all is well....we've missed you and those corgi ears!!!!!
yet another famous Welshman!!!!!!!!

glad that someone brought up Harry Secombe!!!loved him in Oliver...along with Oliver Reed!!!!

Heather Wallace
07-30-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LoudLou

Billy Connolly replaced Howard Hessman in the sitcom " Head of the Class":D

Yes thanks, I remember watching it a few times.