PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd movie

ChrisH
07-28-2007, 05:50 AM
The poster is awesome. (imo)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Micellaneous%202/sweeneytodd-19.jpg

cassiesmom
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow, I didn't know Tim Burton was doing a Sweeney Todd movie. Is it the musical version?

ChrisH
07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes, it's the musical ... they got approval from the redoubtable Mr Sondheim first. :D

The film was completed in June and will have a limited release in December - which may mean it'll only play in LA and NYC, or it may mean a few more locations than that - before going wide in January 2008.

cassiesmom
07-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Neat! Can't wait to see it and I wonder if Johnny Depp has a singing role?

wombat2u2004
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Geez.......just as I was about to have a pie for lunch....someone reminds me of Sweeney Todd.... :eek:
Wom

ChrisH
07-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Neat! Can't wait to see it and I wonder if Johnny Depp has a singing role?
Yep, he has the title role of Sweeney Todd, and sings. :D

ChrisH
07-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Geez.......just as I was about to have a pie for lunch....someone reminds me of Sweeney Todd.... :eek:
Wom
Sorry about that Wom! :D

finn's mom
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
I know, that is awesome, I cannot wait! I've been excited about this one for awhile, now. :D

ChrisH
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
A publicity shot/still from the film (the lettering is my doing)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/JD/Wallpapers/Sweeney-Todd-700x.jpg

lizbud
08-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Didn't Angela lansbury star in the Broadway play? I like Johnny Depp
but I can't get over feeling it's a strangs subject for a musical comedy.

ChrisH
08-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Forgot to add, it now opens countrywide on Christmas Day.

Didn't Angela lansbury star in the Broadway play? I like Johnny Depp but I can't get over feeling it's a strange subject for a musical comedy.
Yes, Liz, Angela Lansbury played Mrs Lovet in the Sondheim show on Broadway. It isn't a musical comedy though, a dark operetta could be a better description. :)

ChrisH
08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Another Sweeney shot, this time a behind the scenes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Micellaneous%202/sweeney3.jpg

ChrisH
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Doubt if many are interested but for those who are there is now a trailer for the film.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834155/video/4367764/standardformat/

Killearn Kitties
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Trailer looks good! I'll remember to go and see that one.

ChrisH
10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Trailer looks good! I'll remember to go and see that one.
Karen, I'll be sure to remind you. :D

I doubt if anyone wants them but just in case, here are a couple of Sweeney wallpapers I made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/JD/Wallpapers/Sweeney-Todd-Demon-Barber-800x600.jpg

ChrisH
10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/JD/Wallpapers/nfnf-800x600.jpg

RedHedd
10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I just saw the play here in San Francisco, and it was fanstastic, but seeing as I LOVE Johnny Depp I will HAVE to see the movie too :cool:

ChrisH
11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Publicity is gearing up in the US. You lucky people will be able to see it long before me,
doesn't open until January 25 here in the UK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/desktops/716fab82.jpg

anna_66
11-14-2007, 09:15 AM
The trailer looks great! Although I'm not a musical lover I'll be sure to see this one:D

Love your wallpapers!

ChrisH
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumbsup3.gif
Anna, I'm not a big fan of musicals either, nor of gore, *sigh* the sacrifices I make for that man. ;) Seriously, regardless of my fandom, I think it's going to be a memorable movie.

And thanks, happy you like my wallpapers.

finn's mom
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I am really excited about this movie. I love Tim Burton's films. And, the fact that he's a fan of Johnny Depp's is a big bonus! Helena Bonham Carter is awesome, too.

lunasmom
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I am SOO excited for this!!

ChrisH
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
A first for you. There was An Evening With Tim Burton event last night at which some clips from Sweeney were shown (excellent reviews :) ) and a member of the audience recorded one of the songs 'Johanna'. Here for your delectation is JD singing. (You hear the voice of Anthony first)
youtube link - audio only
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Bg7Oj_Kzc

If you want to be able to distinguish who is singing (in other words when Johnny sings ;) ) here are the lyrics.

ANTHONY
I feel you, Johanna,
I feel you.
Do they think that walls can hide you?
Even now I'm at your window.
I am in the dark beside you,
Buried sweetly in your yellow hair,
Johanna...

TODD:
And are you beautiful and pale,
With yellow hair, like her?
I'd want you beautiful and pale,
The way I've dreamed you were,
Johanna...

ANTHONY:
Johanna...

TODD:
And if you're beautiful, what then,
With yellow hair, like wheat?
I think we shall not meet again —
My little dove, my sweet
Johanna. ..

ANTHONY:
I'll steal you,
Johanna. ..

TODD:
Goodbye, Johanna.
You're gone, and yet you're mine.
I'm fine, Johanna,
I'm fine!

ANTHONY:
Johanna...

BEGGAR WOMAN (In a rage, loudly, sings):
Smoke! Smoke!
Sign of the devil! Sign of the devil!
City on fire!
Witch! Witch!
Smell it, sir! An evil smell!
Every night at the vespers bell —
Smoke that comes from the mouth of hell —
City on fire!
City on fire ...
Mischief! Mischief!
Mischief...

TODD:
And if I never hear your voice,
My turtledove, my dear,
I still have reason to rejoice:
The way ahead is clear,
Johanna...

ANTHONY:
I feel you ...

TODD:
And in that darkness when I'm blind
With what I can't forget —

ANTHONY:
Johanna...

TODD:
It's always morning in my mind,
My little lamb, my pet,
JOHANNA...

TODD: ANTHONY:
You stay, Johanna — Johanna ...

TODD:
The way I've dreamed you are.
Oh look, Johanna —
A star!

ANTHONY:
Buried sweetly in your yellow hair . . .

TODD (Tossing the customer's hat down the chute):
A shooting star!

BEGGAR WOMAN (Pointing):
There! There!
Somebody, somebody look up there!
Didn't I tell you? Smell that air!
City on fire!
Quick, sir! Run and tell!
Warn 'em all of the witch's spell!
There it is, there it is, the unholy smell!
Tell it to the BEADLE and the police as well!
Tell 'em! Tell 'em!
Help!!! Fiend!!!
City on fire!!!
City on fire . . .
Mischief. .. Mischief.. . Mischief...
Fiend . . .
Alms .. . alms ...

TODD (Shaving the customer):
And though I'll think of you, I guess,
Until the day I die,
I think I miss you less and less
As every day goes by,
Johanna...

ANTHONY:
Johanna...

TODD (Sadly):
And you'd be beautiful and pale,
And look too much like her.
If only angels could prevail,
We'd be the way we were,
Johanna...

ANTHONY:
I feel you . . .
Johanna...

TODD (Cheerfully, looking up at the sky):
Wake up, Johanna!
Another bright red day!
We learn, Johanna,
To say
Goodbye..

ANTHONY (Disappearing into the distance):
I’ll steal you, Johanna!

btw, the laughter is from the audience, nervous laughter at all the blood and slashing I believe. :)

p.s. for those who don't know Johanna is Todd's daughter.

finn's mom
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh, thank you for the link. It sounds wonderful. Whoever Anthony is, has a beautiful voice. Johnny sounds awesome, I cannot wait to see this movie!!!! They're all so talented.

ChrisH
11-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Anthony is played by Jamie Campbell Bower, and I agree with you, he does have a beautiful voice.
:D
Two more, JD and Helena
part of 'My Friends' (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X5LEXk3n518)
'Epiphany' (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y00aTcOfl8c)

cassiesmom
11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Got this via e-mail, thought I'd share ... ends 4 Dec ...
Enter the
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sweepstakes

Stephen Sondheim's demon barber is back with a vengeance –
both on stage AND on screen!

The producers of John Doyle's Tony Award-winning musical have teamed together with DreamWorks Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures to bring you a grand prize offer you won't want to miss!

You'll have the chance to win a private screening of the new Tim Burton movie Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street starring Johnny Depp, for you and 50 friends.

To enter, go to
www.sweeneytoddtour.com/contest
for your chance to win!

cassiesmom
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Best Picture, Best Director Tim Burton, Best Actress Helena Bonham Carter, and Best Actor Johnny Depp!

Medusa
12-16-2007, 07:32 AM
I love everything I've seen Johnny Depp in and I can't wait to see this. I'll probably have to go alone, though, since none of my friends are fond of musicals. Can't wait!

ChrisH
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I'll probably have to go alone, though, since none of my friends are fond of musicals. Can't wait!

Ah, but tell them this is not just any musical, it's like something they've never seen before, nor likely to see again.

Part of report from someone who went to an advance showing last night

"I have never been a movie where the people gave a standing ovation. On Broadway, yes, movie theater, no. New one to me but I guess that says it all."

:D

ChrisH
12-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Any Pet Talkers seen it yet? (I've got to wait until January 24 :( )

anna_66
12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
No, but I really want to!

Cincy'sMom
12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Really hoping to this weekend!!!

Jessika
12-28-2007, 01:35 PM
I saw it a few days before Christmas, and I had no clue what it was about except that it was a barber who killed people. I knew no background, nothin', but hello it has Johnny Depp and Tim Burton on the marquee so it's bound to be good!!

And it was. It's bloodier than bloody, though, so if you aren't into blood and gore you may want to skip this one.

But they can SING! They all can. It really was a great movie!

Medusa
12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Any Pet Talkers seen it yet?
My son and I saw it today. Neither of us are fond of musicals and I have a background in theater! But I wanted to see this and since he's home for the holidays, he decided to humor his mom and go w/me. Even he said it was good. I'm thinkin' that there isn't a part that Johnny Depp can't play. He was truly good! And no amount of makeup can make that man ugly. :)

Jessika
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
For those of you that HAVE seen it:

Is it just me or does it seem like Johnny is playing the exact same role as Jack Sparrow in Pirates? I mean, it was a good movie regardless but I couldn't help but notice it seemed Sweeney and Jack were almost the exact same character... or they were at least both played as the same character. If that makes sense lol

I mean I've never seen the original to know how Sweeney was supposed to be played but that's just my observation.

ScottieMommy
12-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I been dying to see that movie.

Genny
12-29-2007, 12:48 AM
is this going to be a scary movie??? my brother said he kills people..

Jessika
12-29-2007, 01:45 AM
is this going to be a scary movie??? my brother said he kills people..
I wouldn't say it's scary... but it is VERY bloody and gory, so if blood makes you queasy this is not the movie for you.

Medusa
12-29-2007, 07:23 AM
It isn't scary per se but he's called a demon barber sooooo.....I don't want to give it away and ruin it for you but it's quite bloody.

Kalei
12-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh my gosh, I want to see this movie so bad. And so far my theatre hasn't come out with it yet, I may have to drive an hour just to see it, but it would be worth it!

It looks amazing and I love musicals!!:D

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 12:32 PM
I really want to see this movie.... ever since I watched "Jersey Girl" with Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin and and that little girl he's in the movie (who stole the show in my opinion), and they did the re-enactment for her school talent show(they did the "God that's good" song) I just have been dying to see the real thing.

Cincy'sMom
12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I really want to see this movie.... ever since I watched "Jersey Girl" with Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin and and that little girl he's in the movie (who stole the show in my opinion), and they did the re-enactment for her school talent show(they did the "God that's good" song) I just have been dying to see the real thing.

We finally saw it this afternoon, and that was the song I was waiting for the whole time, becuase of Jersey Girl.

It was very well done, and very good. Gory yes, but I still liked it!

ChrisH
12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Happy to hear the positive reviews and so glad you enjoyed it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif :D

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 03:03 PM
We finally saw it this afternoon, and that was the song I was waiting for the whole time, becuase of Jersey Girl.

It was very well done, and very good. Gory yes, but I still liked it!

You liked Jersey Girl too?! Yay!!! I love that movie! The little girl in there is so talented! I was kinda glad to see J-Lo killed off in the first 10 minutes, lol, but the rest of it was great! George Carlin is a good actor as well as comedian. And Liv Tyler... who cannot adore Liv Tyler!

Suki Wingy
12-31-2007, 01:36 AM
I flipping loved this movie. I saw it last Saturday with a friend and it was awsome. Part great musical, part making fun of musicals, great cast. I've been playing the soundtrack since then!

Kalei
12-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Guys your making me too excited lol I want to see it!!

Cincy'sMom
12-31-2007, 08:34 AM
You liked Jersey Girl too?! Yay!!! I love that movie! The little girl in there is so talented! I was kinda glad to see J-Lo killed off in the first 10 minutes, lol, but the rest of it was great! George Carlin is a good actor as well as comedian. And Liv Tyler... who cannot adore Liv Tyler!

I love Kevin Smith movies, even if that one wasn't his typical. Of course, George Carlin is great...we've seen him live, and I wasn't too such about Liv Tyler at first, but she's growing on me.