PDA

View Full Version : Odd letters in the mail.

catnapper
07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I have been receiving these odd letters in the mail. Some guy is seriously looking for some girl. She has my last name and was apparently in this area 10 years ago. She was the one who got away (or something like that) and he wants to find her again. I think its sweet..... but the letters are long (I'm talking 10 notebook pages handwritten) and very hard to follow. Its like he is just rambling with his thoughts.

I am certainly not the girl he's looking for. I kept the letters to show hubby - and kept forgetting to show him ;) :p I got another one this afternoon and hubby asked what I keep getting. He thinks its either his uncle's ex-wife of his daughter (the uncle's daughter not hubby's daughter ;))

Do I get involved and tell this guy we might know who she is and how to contact her? Maybe she WANTS to remain a mystery. Or I could possibly put two star crossed lovers together. Its kind of interesting.... but the only thing that bugs me is that this guy seems so scattered. Could he be just some nutcase?

Cinder & Smoke
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Hubby asked what I keep getting.
He thinks its either his uncle's ex-wife or his daughter (the uncle's daughter not hubby's daughter ;))

But the only thing that bugs me is that this guy seems so scattered.
Could he be just some nutcase?

Scattered / NutCase is a possibility ...
I would NOT contact the searching guy;
but rather contact the two women you think might be the possible ex-flame ...
Show or send them the letters and contact information -
Let THEM decide if they want to contact him.

pitc9
07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I agree with Phred, what if you're right and you know who he's looking for, but what if she doesn't want him to find her??

I'd let the woman know who you think it might be he's looking for and let her tell you if she wants to be found by this guy.

Rachel
07-28-2007, 05:55 AM
In some way I would want to let this guy know that you are not the person he is looking for and I certainly wouldn't interact with him in any other manner, i.e. helping him find someone. Ten handwritten (rambling) pages as a first shot to someone he hasn't seen in 10 years to me is a big waving red flag.

Marigold2
07-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Ten pages of writings. Oh yea he does sound like a few slices short of a loaf.

Lady's Human
07-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I would talk to the postmaster and have the postal inspection service ask the person to stop. It sounds too much like stalking to be taken as "sweet".

I would avoid contact with the person yourself, as the postal inspectors occasionally meet some "interesting" people when handling issues like this.

There are some things that you just shouldn't mess with.

Catty1
07-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, the postmaster for sure - and talk to the women he may be trying to reach. I am sure you will get some VERY interesting information! ;)

catnapper
11-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Remember this thread? I got another letter in my mail today. I haven't gotten anything since the last time I posted, then this guy apparently STOPPED BY MY HOUSE TODAY and slipped the letter through my mail slot!!! :eek:

He included a menu from the diner on the corner and taped the letter to it. I'm seriously freaked right now. He said he hadn't heard anything and all he's asking is if I know her. I'm honestly scared but not sure what I could do. I was home all afternoon.... thank God I never heard the front door.... can you imagine if I answered the door with him there? It was just me and Cameron all day.

I want to go to the police, but what do I say? What leads can they follow? I threw out the other letters after none others followed.

Karen
11-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Definitely contact the postmaster, as it is illegal, I think for anyone but a mailman to put mail through your mailslot, and if you have any of the other letters, that would be good. If not, just describe to the postmaster everything you remember. Were there return postmarks? Have you talked to either of the women you think *might* be who he is looking for?

catnapper
11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh, I hadn't thought of the postmaster! I will get hubby to do it since he used to work for the Post Office and knows some people still.

I don't remember the return address. I know it wasn't local though.

Hubby thinks he knows who the guy is looking for but nothing else. Hubby hasn't had any contact with that side of his family in over 20 years.... its either his cousin's ex-wife or his daughter. Either way, he has no idea where either woman would be. nor does he know where his cousin is.

Catty1
11-16-2007, 09:03 PM
If you know the guy's name, maybe mention this to the police in case he is on a list somewhere...maybe not for anything horrible...but report the mailed letters and now the delivered one.

(and what's with the diner attachment???? :confused: )

Also, if you have his name, look him up on whitepages.com You never know!

I hope you act on this soon...

Marigold2
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Right to the police I would go. This is an nut case. I would get a restraining order as well.

jennielynn1970
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
ok, that hand delivered letter, including menu, would freak me out. Hope you can figure out a way to get him to go away and leave you alone.

columbine
11-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Tell the police. They'll tell you what to do. This guy is obsessed and unstable - not a good combination.

Love, Columbine

crow_noir
11-17-2007, 01:34 AM
I don't know why right off the bat, you didn't tell him you're NOT that person and you know nothing about them(OK, so that last part is a *tiny* fib.) Some people hate being ignored and just want answers.

But yes... If i were you i'd have hubby tell him(the guy) to hire a P.I. or something and stop bothering his (your hubby's) family.

jackie
11-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Creepy, have a solicitor send him a letter letting him know if he continues, you will press charges.

catnapper
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I finally got the letter to the police this morning (been crazy busy with work, family, house) and they saw the letter.... said this guy is truly unhinged and if I get another to not touch it, to call them ASAP. Darnnit, I wish I had saved the other letters!

Laura's Babies
11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
This is scarey! Do they know this guy or are they just going by the letter? Looks like he would get the hint if you haven't responded to them by now and figure you don't know who it is he is looking for.