PDA

View Full Version : Easy Recipes?

sammy101
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm going to be home alone for 9 days and i need some ideas for making an easy dinner. I usually don't cook myself so i'd prefer nothing that has to be cooked on the barbecue. :o
I'm currently on Weight Watchers so it needs to be fairly healthy,lol. I pretty much like anything so any ideas would be great! I know a few of you are on WW so it would be very helpful. I'm also on the flex plan so i have to follow my points too.

Thanks! =)

Jadapit
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Do you like veggie sandwiches? We buy the whole wheat sub bread and load it up with veggies. I love them. :)

sammy101
07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes i love veggies! What do you put on it?

Jadapit
07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes i love veggies! What do you put on it?

I use tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, green peppers, onion, banana peppers, pickles, lettuce. I think that’s about it. Oh, some shredded cheese. You could use any veggie you think would taste good. I put mayo on mine. Does Weight Watchers allow mayo?

Do you like tacos? They are super easy to make. Brown some hamburger with taco seasoning. Nothing to it. :)

sammy101
07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I use tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, green peppers, onion, banana peppers, pickles, lettuce. I think that’s about it. Oh, some shredded cheese. You could use any veggie you think would taste good. I put mayo on mine. Does Weight Watchers allow mayo?

Do you like tacos? They are super easy to make. Brown some hamburger with taco seasoning. Nothing to it. :)'

Yeah they allow it, just not a lot of it. And tacos sounds good too!

Freedom
07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't know about WW, but one of the easist things I make is a baked chicken breast. I have a toaster oven and cook in that so there are minimal pans. Slice up a small red potatoe and bake that as well. If fully thawed, it takes about 30 minutes at 350. Last 8 minutes add some carrots so they warm and soften without being mushy.

I also eat plenty of fish. I do the same thing as above with a piece of salmon, and a sweet potatoe.

With either the chicken or the salmon, you can put something on it depending what you have. Olive oil adds some sweetness and is heart healthy. Or if you have some marmalade - we use Smuckers sugar free - brush a bit of that on at the last few minutes, after making some slices in the top for it to melt into. You can do a slice of cheese, we don't happen to like that. Capers are GREAT flavor adds, if you use those; I always have a jar in the fridge. Garlic can also be used.

I LOVE beets. Dad hates them. Anytime I am eating without him, I open a can of beets. Eat some of the things you enjoy but don't bother with too often. I buy the ones with beets and water, NO SALT in them.

I use the toaster oven the most, rather than the big oven, as I am just cooking for 2.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

RedHedd
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
To me there's nothing simpler than pan-grilling a chicken breast, some fish, or any other cuts of meat (even turkey burgers) and serving with some quick-nuked fresh vegetables. Microwaving veggies leaves the most nutrients intact. Most veggies can be quickly nuked (less than 5 minutes in a small microwave oven). No need to add water, the veggies steam themselves in a microwave-safe covered dish. Dinner is ready in less than half an hour.

Fresh fruit w/yogurt for dessert and you've used very few points.

sammy101
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely write those down. :)
I didn't know you could microwave vegetables!

Rachel
07-27-2007, 06:17 AM
I have this meal I call *Plate-O-Vegetables*. I use a pot of water with a steamer insert and steam baby carrots, broccoli, and potatoes. Add a little Smart Balance and whalla....*Plate-O-Vegetables*

Another quick meal for me is a salad with a piece of toast and a boiled egg on the side. It is a little more satifying than just a salad.

Pam
07-27-2007, 06:28 AM
I love salads for dinner. I could eat them every night but hubby requires more. :rolleyes: I like to take leftover chicken from the night before (cooked any way you want, but I usually use leftover chicken from the grill) and cut it up in small pieces and add it to my salad with some Italian dressing. It is very filling and nourishing too. :) On the nights that I do that, hubby makes himself a steak on the grill to go along with his salad. I don't eat steak any more due to cholesterol issues, so this works well for us. ;)

Laura's Babies
07-27-2007, 08:25 AM
I have been trying to eat healthier for the last year and these are some of my favorites that I make..

I take a frozen bonless chicken breast out of the freezer and put it in a skillet.. Load it up with salt , pepper and garlic granules.. Cover and cook on medium heat. Turn when it browns, add about 1/4 cup of water cover again with a light sprinkeling of the same seasonings, cover and let cook until that side browns... What you are trying to get now is that brown glazing (right word?) on the bottom of the skillet.

#1 option is adding as much California Blend frozen veggies as you want, adding a small amount of water and steam them until done... season as needed..

#2 option, it is summer, everybody has a over abundance of fresh tomatoes.. add some fresh tomatoes and basil..

The other that I do is I buy that ground turkey, thaw and skillet fry like scrambeled eggs. While that is cooking I shred with a knife a head of cabbage and chop a onion.. Add to the turkey and stir fry it together and add the seasonings. (This one one of my guys at work favorite things for me to cook). Both are 1 pot/pan meals.

joycenalex
07-27-2007, 09:11 AM
turn the oven on to broil. as it preheats, slice the ends off a tomato, then slice it in half. you take the ends off so the tomato won't tip. place basil leaves if you have them on the sliced tomato, lay a slice of cheese-provolone, jarlsburg swiss, lorraine swiss, mozzarella are all good-on the tomato, place in oven, set timer for 3 minutes, check, if the cheese isn't bubbly and brown enough, cook 2 more minutes keeping a close eye on it. fresh tomatoes and basil and cheese this time of year are heavenly.
brown 1/4 pound ground turkey/beef, drain well, slice big zucchini length wise, scoop out seeds leaving a boat. mix cooked meat and pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, fill zuke boat, top with cheese, broil. enjoy, wipe chin

BitsyNaceyDog
07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I didn't read the other replies so forgive me if I suggest something others have already suggested.

Fijitas are really easy and quick. I use KC Masterpiece Fijita Marinade (http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/mar_fajita.html) on the chicken. In another pan cook up some onion and green pepper.

I add chicken to salad and it makes a nice meal.

Pasta is really easy too- I use whole wheat pasta so it's a bit healthier.

sammy101
07-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Thankyou guys so much! I'm going out to buy some grocery's soon so i will definently try what you guys have suggested. :)

kittycats_delight
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I do a pasta with ground turkey or chicken 'ragu'.

You can use tri-color pasta. Basically.

Sautée ground turkey with finely chopped carrot, celery, onion, fresh garlic, parsley, salt and pepper with a little bit of olive oil. When the meat is browned add 1/2 cup of white wine and some water and simmer for about 30 minutes or so until all the liquid is absorbed. Cook the pasta is the meantime as per package directions. When all if ready toss together and serve. It is low is fat and quick and easy. And oh yeah I forgot yummy too atleast it is a big hit in my italian household. (And they are not easy to please) :rolleyes:

Alysser
07-27-2007, 10:12 PM
A good healthy snack I always eat is Sliced Apples dipped in Peanut Butter. It's very easy to make:

-Cut the apple into slices. The easiest way is with an apple cutter but a knife should work.
- Peel the skins off(optional)
- Take an apple slice and dip it into the peanut butter.

OK, sorry if I made an "easy" reciepe sound complicated. :D

Peanut butter also tastes good with celery, which I'm sure you know.