PDA

View Full Version : HELP! A problem with Rosie..

CountryWolf07
07-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Since most of y'all know I have a beagle, Rosie.. she's one year old.. and she STILL has accidents in the house, she has peed on my mom's bed (more than one time..), she has peed on the floor, she even has peed ON MY BED, she even has peed on my BROTHER'S bed.. But when she does that, she'll immediately know she did a BAD BAD thing, and she walks into her crate and sit way back at the end of it, and just stay there frozen. My dad has read a lot of beagle books and all of them has said that they're VERY hard to train to housebreak... I actually think Rosie is S-T-U-P-I-D. She KNOWS how to sit and gimme paw.. that's IT! I can't even teach her how to heel or how to lay down.. I was wondering if she can be, AT ALL, housetrained for good? She'll be fine for like 3-4 weeks, then, one accident, it's like a cycle. Oh, and... my mom is serious on getting rid of her... if it happens.. again. Any suggestions/help here? I'd appreciate it! - Rachel

ramanth
07-25-2002, 01:28 PM
I've never had to potty train a dog so I wish I could help but I don't have an answer...

I did want to say that Kenny Chesney is going to be in concert here and I can't get tickets. Waaaaaahhhh!!!!!! :(

ChrisAK
07-25-2002, 01:35 PM
First off, have you taken Rosie to the vet? When a dog eliminates outside of her routine trips, then something is going haywire in her system. She will drink more water, causing her to go more often. If there is a problem then it may prevent her from being able to hold it. Although she is a beagle; hard headed, stubborn, etc., she should be housebroken. Again, another sign.

When a dog eliminates and then cowars, then something is wrong somewhere. She is telling you she knows she’s not supposed to do this, but maybe she can’t control it (incontinence (sp) )and runs to her safe haven.

As far as stupid……that’s an uneducated guess and a rotten opinion. She already knows how to shake paw, and sit, eliminating the stupidity theory. Try finding the problem and fixing it. It could be as easy as taking a small pill 2x a day.

As far as getting rid her because of this…….lame.

CountryWolf07
07-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Awwwww man! Kenny throws a great concert, speaking of him.. "Young" is on CMT ;) *sings along* Hey, there's always next year! :) I'm planning to go to the Nashville Fan Fair in June.

And.. I know it's lame about getting rid of her because of Rosie's accidents, but.. I can't convince my mom to do anything. She won't just listen. - Rachel

Dixieland Dancer
07-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Rachel,
First you do need to verify that it is not medical. At this age though I would venture to say it is not but that still needs to be addressed.

My guess is that your poor little Rosie never was fully house broken and doesn't really understand the concept. Let me say this is not because she is stupid, it's just she was never trained to understand. The good news is, it is not too late!

You may be asking then why does she cowar when she goes potty in the house? Simply because she is afraid. Think about your reaction (or other family members) when she does this. She probably sees you getting very angry and telling her she is a bad girl or other negative things. Your anger is why she is cowaring and because she knows you are angry with her. She wants to please you, not make you mad! Let me give you an example.

My Dixie suffered with separation anxiety. Before I understood why this was occuring and reading all I could to figure out how to help her, I would come home mad and putting her in a down and ignoring her for significant amounts of time. I would not pet her and give her the normal greeting I usually did. I was mad. :mad: Since she probably did the damage within minutes of my departure and I was being mad hours later, she had no clue why I was mad, just that I was and it was directed at her. Now I realize she was smart enough to realize not to tear things up but she had another issue that was the underlying problem - the separation anxiety. She needed help not anger and punishment. Fortunately, once I realized what the problem was and learned how to help her, she got better and is comfortable now when I leave.

My suggestion is to back up and make sure Rosie knows the fundamentals of potty training.

* Do you crate her?
* Do you have a command such as "go potty"?
* What do you do when she eliminates where she shouldn't?
* Is there consistency with all parties involved in making sure she goes outside?
* Have you had her since she was a baby?

There are several excellent threads on house breaking that you can refer too from the past. Do a search. This is a common problem for new puppy owners. You are not alone but you do have a source of help in your Pet Talk friends. A lot of us have been there and can relate. :eek:

Tell mom that you are getting help and to hang in there. Rosie will be house trained before you know it.

P.S. There are training techniques that can get you having Rosie doing sits and downs in a matter of days consistently. Don't fret over that too. I believe there are no stupid dogs.... only untrained trainers. Have you ever done obedience classes with her? If not find a class that teaches positive reinforcement or clicker training. You will enjoy the bond it helps build with your furkid! :D

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aspen and Misty
07-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Still at the nasty potty traing stage here to. Chewy is getting it though. i hoep she starts to get the idea soon so you don't have to give her up! I beleave Dixieland dancer explained it very well!

Ashley

CountryWolf07
07-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Dixie - Thank you so much.. I finally got my mom to read what you had wrote.. hopefully, she and my dad will think more about Rosie.. and what they'll do about it :) Thanks a lot.. I'll let you know how it goes.. - Rachel

CountryWolf07
07-25-2002, 09:45 PM
Dixie.. what are the best tips to housetrain Rosie? And what could we do....? We REALLY want to housebreak her. My parents wants to know :) Thanks. - Rachel

Dixieland Dancer
07-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Rachel,
Here are a few links from past threads that have good information in them. Hope they help!

Potty training link 1 (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7728)

Potty training link 2 (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1190)

Potty training link 3 (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=942)

The third one starts as a seperation anxiety issue but also deals with house training.

You should be able to get lots of helpful information from these posts.

lovemymaltese
07-26-2002, 09:31 AM
I was tuaght a trick by my vet, it works great and fast. Take an empty soda can and fillit with pennies about 10-15. Tape up the top of the can to hold the pennies inside. Whenever the dog has an accident, shake the can by his ear, and say "No". Make sure that the dogs face is near the accident so that he knows why he is being punished. I have trained many dogs with this method, one dog was trained in a week, no all dogs are this easy though. I also had a friend that used this mehtod to successfully train her boxer to stop jumping on the kitchen counter tops to get to food. Give it a try, it just might work for you.

wolf_Q
07-31-2002, 02:29 AM
Ahh, Rachel, you definitely CAN'T get rid of Rosie! I hope you get it all figured out with her. I know she cannot be S-T-U-P-I-D! How can you look at those eyes and think that? ;) lol. She'll learn, I know she's a year old but that's still young. Reggie and Smokey have peed in our house thoughout their lives. Smokey had (and still does) an obsession with peeing on a certain couch corner in the front room. I believe it is is pee post, which really pisses (haha joke) my parents off. They are both constantly going on the floor in their room. The room was never finished, and it's just some kind of partical board...I think they keep smelling their pee then going again. Ok enough of that, Rosie won't end up like them! lol

Nebo has had several accidents himself. But he's really doing good in my opinion, he will whine and sometimes go to the door when he needs to go. He will still go if you forget to let him out, or dont' get there in time. He has never done the other thing in the house...and has never soiled in his kennel.

Nebo knows sit, down (lay), and shake very well. He learned each command very quickly (in a day). Of course he's only getting to know them better because I practice them frequently. I haven't really started on any new commands yet, until I know he has these ones down completely. I bet you could teach Rosie to lay down real fast. How have you tried to teach her that command?

Maybe you should try getting her into a class....I KNOW that Nebo needs it (he's a demon!)

Rachel
07-31-2002, 07:08 AM
At a year old Hannah was the same way as your Rosie. I used to refer to her as *the dog who wouldn't be housebroken*. My other dogs were housebroken in a matter of days with one and a couple weeks with the other, and I really was doing all the right things. But the good news is that eventually the intermitant peeing in the house got less and less and then it she just didn't do it any more. Make sure these *accidents* aren't your fault. Is she going out frequently enough? Are you taking her out last thing at night and early in the morning? The others have given you techniques you might want to try if you haven't already. What I want to give you is hope that Rosie can become completely housebroken. Hannah is living proof. It took a lot of time and a lot of energy, but she is worth it. Please don't give up on Rosie.