PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Knows When the End is Coming

Freedom
07-26-2007, 07:37 AM
This article is in our Providence journal newspaper this morning.

This cat has a sense for patients’ final hours

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, July 26, 2007

By Mark Arsenault

Journal Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE — Death walks silently among us, invisible except to the cat’s eyes.

The cat would be Oscar. He seems to know when people are about to die.

Doctors cannot say for sure how Oscar does it, but they insist the 2-year-old house cat, one of six cats at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, has foretold the deaths of more than 25 residents.

Oscar is one of six cats on duty at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Providence. Oscar’s uncanny prophecies are described today in The New England Journal of Medicine, in an article by geriatrician Dr. David M. Dosa, an assistant professor at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.

The stocky long-haired cat lives among patients with severe dementia, in an end-state ward in which death is a common event. The facility treats people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

“There are weeks that three or four people will die in that unit, and Oscar will nail every one of them,” says Dosa. “I know it’s seemingly far-fetched,” but he has repeatedly witnessed Oscar’s odd gift. “It’s a very surreal thing.”

Usually about two to four hours before a patient dies, Oscar goes to them.

He hops onto the bed, curls up, and stays with them.

The cat’s “mere presence at the bedside is viewed by physicians and nursing-home staff as an almost absolute indicator of impending death, allowing staff members to adequately notify families,” wrote Dosa, in his article for the Journal of Medicine.

Another doctor who treats people at Steere House, Dr. Joan M. Teno, professor of community health at Brown and an expert in end-of-life care, confirms that Oscar “always manages to make an appearance, and it always seems to be around the last two hours.

“Dying is a process that occurs over days,” she says. “It’s not like the cat parks himself there several days in advance. He only goes for those last hours. If it’s not the last hours, he’s not there.”

After the patient dies, Oscar “just gets up and leaves the room,” says Steve Farrow, executive director of Steere House.

So how does Oscar know? How does he know when people are about to die?

“I don’t think this is a psychic cat,” says Teno. “There’s been proven scientific articles that dogs in England are able to sniff out cancer cells and I think a similar type of explanation is possible here. Oscar is smelling some type of chemical or toxin from the body that helps him recognize that the person’s dying. He may like the scent. Part of me says it’s a little bit freaky. Sometimes when I’m making rounds Oscar will come and sit with me in the window, and I keep on saying, ‘Does he know something I don’t?’ ”

Dosa cited studies that suggest some animals can predict seizures in people. Animals have been known to act strangely before earthquakes. “Animals, for whatever reason, are able to pick up things that we cannot.”

It seemed that nobody in Oscar’s domain was near death yesterday afternoon. The cat chomped some treats at a nurse’s station, and then plopped down in a hallway and licked his shaggy white belly. Oscar looks to be at least 15 pounds. He’s friendly, accepting a quick scratch on the head, but not interested in any more luvin’ than that.

His feline companion on the ward, Mayer, dozed in a plastic tub. Mayer does not share Oscar’s gift for premonition. The cats were not from the same litter, and are not related, Farrow says.

The ward bustled with patients pushing walkers, and nurses wheeling equipment on carts.

Oscar ignored it all.

“He’s just become part of the life there, and really become a very positive part of the life,” says Teno.

Home and Hospice Care of Rhode Island presented Oscar with a certificate of merit for providing exceptional end-of-life care, said Farrow.

And Dosa says, “Oscar provides companionship at the time of death.”

So what are family members going to think? “I hope they realize this is a behavior that comes from a community that really cares for these patients,” Teno says, “That’s what I know and see.”

What Oscar sees in the halls of Steere House remains his secret.

With reports from staff writer C. Eugene Emery Jr.

[email protected]

kb2yjx
07-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Yes, I have read about other cats in nursing homes that are able to do the same thing!! My therapy cat, Spunky, had that sense, too. Uncanny....Thanks for the article and photos. Just proves cats are TOPS!!

Laura's Babies
07-26-2007, 08:06 AM
I have always wondered if Kitty Boo understood what happened to Mama, this make me think that perhaps she did since she stayed with Mama on the bed until she died and we had to remove her, so did her little poodle.

I have no doubt that they have senses we don't have. I think it is great that this place allows cats since we all know what joy and happiness they spread.

DJFyrewolf36
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I believe cats are creatures that are capable of showing great kindness...maybe Oscar senses that some comfort is needed during those final hours...especially to patients that have struggled with a disease that makes them feel very isolated and afraid. Further proof that cats are awesome :D

Randi
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I deleted my thread about the same subject. ;)

It must be very comforting to have a cat snuggled up next to you when you're dying. :)

kuhio98
07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
It must be very comforting to have a cat snuggled up next to you when you're dying. :)Yes, when my times comes, I hope I have many kitties in bed with me purring me on.

catmandu
07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I Pray He Comes For Me So The Found Cats Can Go To The Pampered Feline Where They Will Live In Luxury. Its A Great Palce And The People There Will Keep An Eye On Them And Theres A Vet On Call If They Need It.
And They Have Outdoor Runs So They Can Get The Sun.

phesina
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
There was a story about that on the 5:00pm News (Detroit TV station). If you hadn't already started a thread on it, I was going to start one asking if you knew about it!

Pat

AvaJoy
07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I was so touched when I read about Oscar in my newspaper, and went on the internet to read the article in the Journal of Medicine. I regard cats as being the chosen ones, if you will. This story simply fuels and cements my belief. :cool:

I have often thought that if I live long enough to be in a nursing home, there had better be resident cats there or I am not going . . . unless I can bring my own! :)

Kirbys Mom
07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
this story was on my towns news last night, sure got my attention. pretty amazin and creepy at the same time... ^_^