PDA

View Full Version : Laura, How do you do it?

Trinityagain
07-26-2007, 07:03 AM
We are getting ready to leave Saturday for our annual 2 week Medieval camping event. I go thru this every year...I hate leaving my furrkids! Have to make sure to snuggle them all about a billion times before walking out the door. I know they are well looked after as my in-laws (bless their hearts!) come out every other day if not EVERY day and spend some time and check on them etc but I hate leaving them! Laura, how do you get thru the "leaving"?

Laura's Babies
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
I leave in tears a lot of the time. It breaks my heart every time I have to leave but I know I am making us a living and I couldn't afford them if I didn't work. I think I love them so much more while I am home because of the time that I can not do it when I am away. I bet there is not a hour that passes that I do not kiss one of them, pet one, talk to them or sing to them. They take turns warming my lap, letting me know they are so glad I am home and missed me. I miss them so much while I am gone.

Pawla
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm gone every weekend. I try to give Squeak extra special attention through the week. She also gets a special treat on Sunday when I get home...TUNA! This seems to work wonders, but she is still quite "needy", and VERY vocal!!!

catmandu
07-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I Actually Have Only Left The Cats About Four Years Ago When I Had To Spend Time In The Hospital.
And I Tried To Put It Off But Couldnt. I May Have To Go Back And That Will Be Tough Leaving My Furry Friends.
I Am Home 21/24 And I Know That They Will Miss Me.

Donnaj4962
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I travel a few times each year, and it is always hard to leave. I wait to get my suitcase out until the very last minute, as it freaks both Tabby and Sashy and they then avoid me. Once it is out, they lay inside, and look at me with that "I will be good if you will take me also" look. Breaks my heart every time.

Knowing that you are leaving them in good loving hands helps. And the reunion once you get home, well.... lots of luvvins!

Enjoy your trip. Your babies will miss you as much as you miss them!

lvpets2002
07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
:) OMG I would hate to think of even being gone overnight.. My babies know my patterns of in & out times at home/work/shopping & back home..

kuhio98
07-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm away from home 2 weeks out of every month. :(
I used to try to sneak out so that I wouldn't upset them, but Bobcat says they (especially Halo) would look for me for hours and give him an accusatory glare every now and then. :p

So, now I get my suitcase out the night before so that they all know. Pepper spends a lot of time hopping in and out of it making sure it smells like her.

I don't cry anymore when I leave, but I sure do miss them!

cassiesmom
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Poll question: If you had to leave your pet with someone else, would you still go on vacation? ... I voted no. I've left Cassie a few times with someone in my family cat-sitting. But neither she nor I are getting any younger, and we have recently developed this goofy feeding routine - first half of breakfast between 3 and 4 AM, second half with me at 7:30, and then supper when I get home from work. But she doesn't abide left-overs, which is the reason for the 3-4 AM pre-breakfast. :rolleyes: We just started doing this a month ago - maybe less - and I want to see how long it keeps up before I try to go away again. When I leave and she's giving me the look, I remind myself that she's so easy to come home to! I also say aloud (often) that I have to leave for work because I'm the one with the opposable thumbs.

phesina
07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I go away for a few days maybe once or twice a year.

The cats know something they won't like is in the works when they see me packing things up.

My sister takes very good care of them while I am away, but when I get back I find Statements here and there from them informing me that they were Not Happy about my absence.. such as hairballs and/or poopies in strange places that I don't find right away.. papers such as the piled-up mail torn up.. toilet paper hanging shredded from the roll...

Pat

orangemm
07-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Yup, quiet little reminders that someone was not happy at all!

Laura's Babies
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Amy has started leaving me those reminders right at the front door.. :eek: I still think it is better leaving them here than that long car ride that stresses them out so bad to get to Kevlins.

DJFyrewolf36
07-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Im gone quite a few weekends in the summer and even though I only pack up my DJ gear (usually as Im dashing out the door), the cats KNOW days in advance! They glare, they yowl, they make generalized pests out of themselves and boy do they find something to shred while Im away...even though I try to "cat proof" everything before I go.

Well, I guess the more I try to cat proof something, the more my cats want to prove they are smarter cats!

I worry a lot about them when Im gone though, even though sometimes its less than 24 hours. John (hubby) always is telling me to quit fretting (Impossible though lol)