PDA

View Full Version : Slain GSD Justice...

crow_noir
07-25-2007, 01:55 AM
I thought for certain that the original article from months ago was posted here but i can't find it.

-----------------------

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NEWS01/707230309/1002&GID=6wGfpqoaRuP9s/mc1ahTJ8OS+XP1T+RJD7GB2HmsKUc%3D

At dog's memorial: Grieving, rally cry
By DEBORAH M. MARKO
Staff Writer
[email protected]

VINELAND -- A memorial service for a slain German shepherd, posthumously named Justice, became a public rally for stricter animal cruelty laws and severe penalties for those convicted of such offenses.

"It's heartbreaking -- every day, there's another case," said Rachel Ogden, who drove 40 minutes from Westville to attend the service Saturday morning at the Cumberland County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

She held up a large paw print-shaped sign that read, "Justice, you left a paw print on our heart."
Ogden joined a crowd of more than 200 people gathered outside the SPCA shelter on North Delsea Drive to remember the shepherd, who was found dead and discarded April 18 along a Fairfield Township rural road.

The dog's muzzle was bound in duct tape. Investigators later determined someone had gutted the shepherd while it was alive, causing the distressed dog to bite through its own tongue.

An outraged public has contributed more than $10,000 toward a reward fund for information leading to the arrest and convictions of those responsible.

They donated food and supplies to help the animal shelter with day-to-day operations. Last week, more than 12 dozen shelter dogs found new homes.

But for many, it wasn't enough.

Maggie Lewis, 68, of Bridgeton came to the memorial service with one question.

"What can we do to help?" she asked.

Guest speaker Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, D-1, urged those present to join his 2 1/2-year fight to revise the state's 125-year animal cruelty laws. He's pushing legislation that would make inhumane acts against animals specific criminal offenses and would significantly increase criminal and civil penalties for violations.

He was moved to take action after a pit bull, named Angel, died after being repeatedly beaten by those who were supposed to provide her care.

There weren't laws strong enough to stop those beatings, he said.

"That's wrong, that's a disease," Van Drew said. "It has to change. It's bad for society."

Local incidents are not isolated cases, the assemblyman said, referring to last week's high-profile indictment of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick on dog fighting allegations.

Getting Angel's Law passed has been an uphill battle, Van Drew told the crowd.

"The truth is, because there are so many players and it's such a complicated process, we haven't been able to get entirely to the finish line," he said. "We need to get to the finish line -- we need to make it better."

The public can help by contacting Agriculture Secretary Charles Kuperus and legislators throughout the state to lobby their support for the bill, Van Drew said, hoping to get a vote on the bill this fall.

The two words "justice and law" are often tossed around, he said.

"Many of us know the law does not always achieve justice," Van Drew said. "In this case, let that happen."

Meanwhile, the investigation into the slaying of Justice continues.

A credible source did come forward two days after Justice was discovered, said Bev Greco, SPCA executive director. The names of two "people of interest" are known to the Bridgeton state police, who are heading the investigation.

This particular SPCA case required additional law enforcement assistance because SPCA agents are not armed, Greco noted.

"These people are dangerous," she said of the suspects.

State Sen. Nicholas Asselta, R-1, who also has taken up the fight for tougher animal cruelty laws, said legislation alone is not enough.

The public must demand that law enforcement officials and prosecutors aggressively pursue the prosecution of animal cruelty offenders, he said.

"This morning, I believe that's what it's all about, challenging our prosecutor's offices around this state and our law enforcement people to pay particular attention to all the laws already on the books to make sure our animals are protected," Asselta said.

One of the youngest attendees, 3-year-old Jaxon Jones of Vineland, listened to the speeches.

His aunt, Lisa Jones of Vineland, said the youngster might not know what to make of the memorial services, but he understood the public sentiment.

The 3-year-old wouldn't hurt an animal, she said.

"He gets it," Jones said.

Copyright ©2007 The Daily Journal. All rights reserved.

jackie
07-25-2007, 02:48 AM
This is the first I have heard of this story, at least it is opening peoples eyes to animal cruelty.

Too bad it takes the death of an animal to make people consider rescue pets, and donate to shelters.

dukedogsmom
07-25-2007, 05:16 AM
That poor dog. Things like that just make me sick. And I feel so helpless for the innocent victim that suffered so much. I hope the people that did this burn eternally in Hell. I would love to be the one to send them there :mad:

Laura's Babies
07-25-2007, 07:07 AM
They need to make the penalty for cruelty a lot stiffer and treat these cases extreemly harshly. A slap on the wrist is not going to stop a whole lot of people.

pitc9
07-25-2007, 07:48 AM
omg.... :( :(

RIP Justice...
May the person/people responsible for your unnecessary and cruel death pay dearly for the rest of their lives.

Sevaede
07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh my gosh.. :( That poor pup... :(:(

My heart weeps for you. R.I.P. Justice :(

elizabethann
07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
That just breaks my heart. That poor dog. I hate people sometimes. :(

dukedogsmom
07-25-2007, 06:36 PM
That just breaks my heart. That poor dog. I hate people sometimes. :(
I'm beginning to hate them more and more, learning things like this.

crow_noir
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
If you go to that page there is more information about what is being done, and what you can do to help.

The pictures alone make the old ticker thump a bit too hard.

They need to make the penalty for cruelty a lot stiffer and treat these cases extreemly harshly. A slap on the wrist is not going to stop a whole lot of people.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

# The abuse and slaying of Justice remains unsolved. Anyone with information about the incident or who would like to contribute to the reward fund is asked to call the Cumberland County SPCA at (856) 691-1500.

# To send e-mails to state legislators about the animal cruelty legislation, go online to www.njleg.state.nj.us. Click on "Contact Us" at the top of the page to the right. Go to where it says "Your state legislators welcome your thoughts ..." and click on "Complete this form." Select a municipality, then click on "Find Representatives."

# To e-mail the state Department of Agriculture about the legislation, go to www.state.nj.us/agriculture/contact.shtml

AT A GLANCE

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew's bill to establish "Angel's Law" would increase penalties to as high as 20 years in prison and $200,000 in fines for certain animal cruelty offenses. The bill, A-2646, establishes 12 types of offenses:

# Abuse of an animal.

# Aggravated animal abuse.

# Animal abandonment at an animal care facility.

# Abandonment of an animal.

# Animal cruelty in the presence of a child age 16 or younger.

# Animal neglect including cruel restraint.

# Aggravated animal neglect.

# Animal hoarding.

# Improper euthanization.

# Cruel commercial exploitation of an animal.

# Animal fighting.

# The crime of patterns of abuse.