PDA

View Full Version : you might be an 80s child if.....

angelbow20
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
-You wanted to be on Star Search. (Didn't we all?)
-You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off. Or even when he had those freaky eyes in "Thriller" at the end of the video.
-You wore a banana clip or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth.
-You can remember watching Full House and Saved by the Bell for endless hours.
-You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock.
-You'll always hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future."
-You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name."
-You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. (Was there an 80's movie she WASN'T in?)
-You fell victim to 80's fashion: big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, and you wore spandex pants.
-You wanted to be a Goonie ("Goonies never say die.")
-You ever wore fluorescent—neon if you will—clothing...
-You know, by heart, the words to any "Weird" Al Yankovic song.
-You remember when ATARI was a state-of-the-art video gaming system.
-You own any cassettes or albums.
-You remember and/or own any of the Care Bear glass collection from Pizza Hut.
-"Poltergeist" totally freaked you out.
-You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.
-You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
-You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.
-You ever had a Swatch Watch.
-You had a crush on one of the Coreys (Haim or Feldman).
-You have worn a Banana Clip, or knew someone who did.
-You have heard of "Garbage Pail Kids" (and perhaps still have a collection of them).
-Extra point You have seen the Garbage Pail Kids TV show. (Only one episode was aired.)
-You wanted to be The Hulk or Rainbow Brite for Halloween.
-You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV.
-You've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases:
"When I was younger"
"When I was your age"
"You know, back when..."
"Because I SAID so, that's why"
"What the HECK is this noise on the radio?"
"Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"
-Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language.
-You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video.
-"Celebration" by Kool & the Gang was one of the hot new songs when you first heard it at a school dance.
-You ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons.
-Your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting."
-You had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi, or knew someone who did.
-You actually know who Rick Springfield is

wombat2u2004
07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Well that puts me out of that one....I was in my 30's then :D
Wom

ramanth
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes to pretty much all of those. :D

Twisterdog
07-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Ooooh, yeah. I must admit the following crimes. I had REALLY big hair. It was da bomb. ;) And I STILL have a crush on Jon Bon Jovi!

-You wore a banana clip or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth.-You fell victim to 80's fashion: big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, and you wore spandex pants.
-You ever wore fluorescent—neon if you will—clothing...
-You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video.
-You ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons.
-Your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting."
-You had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi, or knew someone who did.
-You actually know who Rick Springfield is

JenBKR
07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Wow that's me.....I even remember being so upset when the slap bracelets were banned from my school. And of course I crimped my hair, and my bangs were so high I think they touched the ceiling. Boy, I remember almost every single one of those...... :o

jackmilliesmom
07-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Guilty to all of the above except Yackoniv (sp) songs - how sad am I so I am definitely an eighties child BUT PROUD OF IT..........

BitsyNaceyDog
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I was born in '82, so I'm an 80s/90s kid. I remember so much of that. Justin still has a set of Garbage Pail Kids trading cards.

Yesterday I actually said "kids these days..."

angelbow20
07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I was growing up through the 80s and 90s so I can remember all those things from the 80s and 90s :eek:

cassiesmom
07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
I went from age 15 to 24 during the '80s - does that count?

-You own any cassettes or albums. (BOTH!)
-You ever had a Swatch Watch. (Check. WITH the requisite accessories.)
-You have worn a Banana Clip, or knew someone who did. (I did.)
-You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV. (Would MTV exist without "Friday Night Videos"?)
-Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language. (Not only the English language, but math, history, and civics as well!)
-You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video. (Not intentionally - but when I look back now at pictures taken during those years - OUCH!)
-You actually know who Rick Springfield is. (Oh, my gosh! I LOVE Rick Springfield! He played a doctor on "General Hospital" when I was in high school AND he was a rock 'n' roll star. The scary part is - he gave a concert in Chicago recently and the audience was mostly women my age!)

Starched my polo-shirt collars to death, and wore them flipped up. No starch at hand? Hair spray. (YUCK! Did I really do that?!) Shoulder pads the size of pillows. Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Nothing comes between me and my Calvin's.

There was a PBS show recently, a retrospective about "The Electric Company" and the whole way through, I was thinking I remember that bit, I remember that character, I remember that song... I was a total "Electric Company" kid. I hope it's on again soon.

BOY, AM I GETTING OLD!!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
All very true! and funny! :D

Twisterdog
07-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Starched my polo-shirt collars to death, and wore them flipped up. No starch at hand? Hair spray. (YUCK! Did I really do that?!) Shoulder pads the size of pillows. Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Nothing comes between me and my Calvin's.

There was a PBS show recently, a retrospective about "The Electric Company" and the whole way through, I was thinking I remember that bit, I remember that character, I remember that song... I was a total "Electric Company" kid. I hope it's on again soon.

BOY, AM I GETTING OLD!!

Oh, that's hilarious, I remember doing that, too. Preferably, two polo shirts layered, and BOTH collars starched up. LOL

I LOVED Electric Company! My husband and I were talking about that show just the other day.