PDA

View Full Version : CALLING ALL RAW FEEDERS!! I need an interview from you :)

.sarah
07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I am doing a paper called "Raw Food Is Best" for my writing class, and I just think that quotes from raw feeders will make it 1000x better. So please help me out :) I will be sure to post the final product if anyone is interested and I will love you a million times over if you help me out! You do not have to answer all of the questions and you can be as detailed or as vague as you want to.

I am especially interested in senior dogs or any dog really that has had big changes in the switch. And I'd be interested in hearing about dogs that have been fed raw since puppyhood. Also please include any complications you may have experienced. I am interested in this as well because I don't want to paint the picture that raw is worry-free, because it definitely isn't.

Please just fill it out and post it or PM it to me! Thank you!!!

PS. I realize I have not been around a lot lately but I hope y'all don't hold it against me. I have been extremely, extremely busy with this new college thing! ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***IF YOU DO NOT EXCLUSIVELY FEED RAW PLEASE TELL ME HOW OFTEN YOU FEED IT OR WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THE TOTAL DIET IT MAKES UP.

How was your dog's health while on kibble? Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)? How was his/her dental health?

How long have you been feeding a raw diet?

What were the immediate changes you noticed after the switch? (ie. cleaner teeth, cleaner coat, less odor.)

How many dogs are you currently feeding a raw diet to?

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs? If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs?

How is your dog's overall health? Please note anything that has not improved since the switch. Please only answer this question if you have been feeding raw for more than three months, as it often can take this long or longer for some previous problems to subside.

What made you make the switch? Please state if the reasoning had any involvement with the pet food recall.

How did you first hear about raw food?

Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it? How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet?

Please note anything else that may be of great interest.

rutylr
07-24-2007, 06:34 PM
***IF YOU DO NOT EXCLUSIVELY FEED RAW PLEASE TELL ME HOW OFTEN YOU FEED IT OR WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THE TOTAL DIET IT MAKES UP.
My dogs are fed raw in the morning and Kibble in the evening.
How was your dog's health while on kibble?
Good

Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)?
No.

How was his/her dental health?
Good

Elwood is almost Three and was started on it as a puppy.

What were the immediate changes you noticed after the switch? (ie. cleaner teeth, cleaner coat, less odor.)
Less poop then all kibble.

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs?
No.
If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs?

How is your dog's overall health? Please note anything that has not improved since the switch. Please only answer this question if you have been feeding raw for more than three months, as it often can take this long or longer for some previous problems to subside.
Never had any real health problems in any of my dogs,even the ones fed kibble only.

What made you make the switch? Please state if the reasoning had any involvement with the pet food recall.
I was feeding some raw before the pet food recall.Have known quite a few people who feed raw and swear by it.
Someone I knew got a puppy from Lew Olsen B-Naturals
http://www.b-naturals.com/
Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it?
I'm not into the total raw.I don't have that kind of time to prepare food in advance,Grinding Veggies and buying suplements.
I feed Chicken in the morning(quaters,Thigh and leg)or they get canned fish(mackerel)
How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet?
When I tell I feed raw chicken they look shocked...RAW!!!!
I explain why it is good.Also at the save a lot they sell pig tails.One lady looked at me funny and asked how I cooked them .I told her they were for the dogs and they eat them raw.

Some people just feed meat as a raw diet,but they are missing out on some important vitamins and minnerals that come with adding veggies.The raw diet need to be well rounded not just all protein.

cali
07-24-2007, 06:35 PM
How was your dog's health while on kibble? Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)? How was his/her dental health?
Happys coat was practlcly gray, she was constantly sick, had horrable gas etc.. she was about 8 months at the switch so dental health wasnt bad. Shadow was throwing up every single day, he coat was gray, her teeth were yellow. she was so arthritic she could barly stand, and at 4 years old the vet reccomended we have to PTS.

going on 7 years

Happys problems all disapeared on the spot, her coat was suddenly so rich and black that she made other black dogs look gray next to her, she is goin on 7 years old and hasent been sick since. Shadow took a little bit longer, but she is currently 11 years old, absolutly NO signs of arthritis, hasnt thrown up since, and bounces off the walls with energy.

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs? If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs?
nope

all of my dogs are in outstanding condition. our Vet said they are the healthiest dogs she has ever seen, their coats gleam, they have rippling muscles, sparkling white teeth, and everyone thinks they are puppies. when kennel cough goes around, other dogs are coughing for weeks, the absolute LONGEST KC has ever lasted in my dogs is 3 days. even my 8 year old, the differnce is obvious, she preformed a group freestyle ruetine wth other dogs her age, while the others had a hard time getting through it all, Perky was leaping through the air, seemingly a young puppy in a group of seniors.

Happys issues mostly, she was always so sick and her coat was gross, her breeder told us to feed her broth and overcooked white rice till her tummy was feeling better, and while she was eating that we researched Raw. we made the switch straight from the rice and broth.

just random internet research

Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it? How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet?
absolutly, I reccomend it whenever possable. reasctions to it vary, I have had everything from genuine interest, to "wont they develop bloodlust?" to "WHY?" lol

.sarah
07-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Thank you both so much!

Kater
07-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Is this for English 100? ;) I'd love to read the final product!
I am not a raw feeder, so I can't help with the interview.
Good luck!! :)

.sarah
07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
It is for ENC1101, not sure if it's the same thing? Freshman English :) I will most likely post the final draft. It's due next Wednesday so it will be some time around then :)

Roxyluvsme13
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I fed Raw before, but don't anymore.. so would you still want my opinion?

Giselle
07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
FYI, I feed raw/kibble to Ivy and Giselle and homemade to Lucky.

Lucky's health was deplorable. For the first few years of his life, his coat was sparse, unhealthy, flaky, and had a profound odor to it. He also had constant hot spots on his paws and wrinkle and constant diarrhea. I do heartily believe that Lucky was allergic to something in his diet. What it was for sure, I could not pinpoint, but it's noteworthy that his hot spots were alleviated when switched to a corn-free kibble. The diarrhea, however, continued. Giselle was fine with 100% kibble. Ivy was on poor-quality kibble (Pedigree) when I got her, so her coat was abnormally harsh and flaky. Dental-wise, they've all been pretty good.

I don't know exactly, but I'm estimating around 1-2 years.

Since this is for raw fed pups, I'll speak just for Giselle and Ivy, but the change was most dramatic in Lucky. Anyhow, Giselle's coat has gotten a lot of softer, as has Ivy's. I can actually hold Ivy and not get rashes now. Giselle used to have a lot of plaque on her molars, but a daily meal of RMBs has kept them pearly white and clean. Their poops are AMAZING. Extremely small and firm. It's almost like cat poop :p

Two. Half raw half kibble.

Nope.

Overall, they're very healthy. The only problem with any of them is Giselle's dandruff. She's always had a flake problem, so I suppose part of it is absolutely normal (and possibly genetic, who knows?).

My dogs fulfill my life, and I find it common courtesy to give them the same respect by keeping them healthy as possible. It makes perfect sense that our canine friends should eat a diet appropriate to their anatomy. However, in a time and age where science can construct an almost perfect balance of vitamins and minerals, I feel that it's necessary to utilize the best of both worlds. That's why I do half raw and half kibble.

Internet, probably.

Yes, I always share my thoughts on canine diets if people ask me for advice. People in public don't usually ask me what I feed my dogs, though. From time to time, however, people will tell me, "But I heard you're not supposed to feed them bones..". Oh, what bitty irony :p

Please note anything else that may be of great interest.[/QUOTE]
If researched and prepared properly, the conscientious owner will be making a very smart decision to feed their dog raw. However, it does require serious consideration, and people should not make the switch without sufficient knowledge of the benefits and risks of raw feeding. IMO =P

gemini9961
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM

How was your dog's health while on kibble? Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)? How was his/her dental health? Their overall health on kibble was decent. I didn't make the switch to raw because of any specific problems. I wanted to feed them a better diet that I was in control of. Sadie is the only one with any kind of allergies but I don't think they are food related. Her's are more of a skin/enviornmental allergy. Since she has been on raw they have not improved nor gotten worse. They aren't horrible allergies but she does have occasional itching. Their dental health has improved. I check their teeth regularly and they have far less plaque than before. I can compare my 5 year old's teeth to a dog younger than her that is not on a raw diet and my dog's teeth look much better. Grant's teeth are beautiful, pearly white beauties. Maggie is the only one with teeth that aren't as great but she has some pretty crooked ones and the raw bones are not able to get all of the plaque off of them.

How long have you been feeding a raw diet? I'm not sure of the exact date but I would guess a year and a half.

What were the immediate changes you noticed after the switch? (ie. cleaner teeth, cleaner coat, less odor.)First change would have been nicer coat. The next changes are the teeth. Mine have all come down to a nice weight since being on raw so overall weight has changed. As far as odor goes I don't see much change but they weren't too smelly before. Other changes are that they nearly knock the door down to get outside and eat.
How many dogs are you currently feeding a raw diet to? 3

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs? If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs?No, all 3 of mine are fed raw and have not had any kibble since being on raw. The transition was very easy and all 3 took to it very well.

How is your dog's overall health? Please note anything that has not improved since the switch. Please only answer this question if you have been feeding raw for more than three months, as it often can take this long or longer for some previous problems to subside. Their overall health is fantastic. All 3 are at an excellent weight. My oldest Sadie had her annual check up in May and this was the first time in years that I was told her weight was good. The vet asked what I was feeding and said that a lot of people were moving to raw since the pet food recalls. I purchased some vitamins for the dogs called Petamins that I pour in their food daily. She suggested that to give them some added vitamins and minerals. The Petamins are great.

What made you make the switch? Please state if the reasoning had any involvement with the pet food recall.I started the raw before and made the switch so I could control the food they were eating. The health benefits also had an impact on my decision.

How did you first hear about raw food?PT of course.

Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it? How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet?I will tell anyone who asks me what I feed them. Some give me strange looks but they are my dogs so it's really none of anyone else's concern what they think. My dogs have had nothing but positive results from the switch and it's one of the best decisions I have made concerning their health and well-being. I am an advocate for those who feed it. I won't push anyone into feeding it as it is a decision that may not work for everyone.

Please note anything else that may be of great interest.I enjoy making their meals for them and seeing what they like and don't like. They are usually fed chicken. I will also brown ground beef and mix in rice on occasion. They also get many different kinds of veggies as well as yogurt and eggs.

bckrazy
07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I feed Raw, with occasional kibble... about 90% Raw.

Gonzo was always a few pounds over his ideal weight, his muscle tone was average, his stamina was pretty poor, he shedded TONS, and a few of his teeth were very plaquey! Fozzie, who I switched to Raw at about 9 weeks, really loved it from the beginning... he was a very picky puppy about eating kibble, but he has devoured every thing I've given him since switching.

1 1/2 years.

Gonzo's teeth were the first immediate change, almost overnight his teeth were plaque-free. Gonzo also became much leaner, and I noticed a drastic improvement in his fitness & stamina. He sheds way less, as well!

Two.

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs? If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs? Nope.

Both of them are, basically, as healthy as I could ever hope for them to be! They're both very vibrant and happy, and I know they looove what they eat every day, which is also a plus. Fozzie has grown up eating Raw and he has always had a soft, healthy coat, good breath, sparkling white teeth, and clean ears & eyes. I also noticed that his growth was nice and gradual on Raw... which is awesome, because with him being part Corgi, I worried about growth spurts, and joint issues resulting from them.

I love my pups, of course, and I want to give them the happiest lives possible. I honestly feel that this is the best diet for them... still, I do understand that Raw is not for every dog or for every owner. But it IS right for me and my dogs, and the proof in that is obvious just by looking at them. :]

About 6 years ago, from a family member who bred dogs & fed Raw. I was definitely a skeptic!

Oh, definitely! Five of my friends and several family members feed Raw... mostly because they saw how great my dogs were doing. People typically react by laughing, but they usually seem curious. It really is just common sense, to feed your dog a diet that is appropriate for their species! There are some people who roll their eyes... or blurt out the "bones are baaad!" line. ;3

.sarah
07-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Thank you so much, guys!!!! Bri, you can respond if you want to. I already have a lot of great things said from this forum and another but if you want to reply you never know if you'll write something that I can use :)

Roxyluvsme13
07-25-2007, 11:43 PM

How was your dog's health while on kibble? Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)? How was his/her dental health? Roxy had horrible teeth. Her coat was always really dry, and she was just overall stinky too. And besides that, some of her teeth are chipped to this day because of kibble. She was energetic and everything, but not as energetic as she was on raw.

How long have you been feeding a raw diet? I think it was about 3-4 months that we fed it.

What were the immediate changes you noticed after the switch? (ie. cleaner teeth, cleaner coat, less odor.) Roxy's teeth started improving rather quickly. Her coat wasn't as oily and I she started shedding a lot less. Her breath was fresher too. She was more energetic.

How many dogs are you currently feeding a raw diet to? It was only Roxy. Lily didn't like it, but only because she is the pickiest dog on the face of this earth.

Are you feeding exclusively kibble to any other dogs? If so, what is the reasoning behind the different diets for different dogs? Lily was/is on kibble. She's just a very picky dog.

How is your dog's overall health? Please note anything that has not improved since the switch. Please only answer this question if you have been feeding raw for more than three months, as it often can take this long or longer for some previous problems to subside. Roxy was healthy on the kibble, but healthier on the raw. As I mentioned earlier, her entire health really was better.

What made you make the switch? Please state if the reasoning had any involvement with the pet food recall. I was reading here on Pet Talk about everyone feeding Raw and all the improvements in their pet's health, so I decided I might as well give it a shot. It took a lot of convincing on my part.

How did you first hear about raw food? Pet Talk.

Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it? How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet? Yup, I do. I made a video that's quite popular on Youtube about Raw and I mention it to anybody looking to try something new. Most people are a little surprised that my dog was being fed Raw. My mom mentioned that she ate better than we did :p.

Good luck on your paper, Sarah! :D

shais_mom
07-26-2007, 01:38 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

99% b/c on rare occasions she stays @ my parents house I have a bag of high quality kibble for them to feed her
How was your dog's health while on kibble? Did you see any problems with allergies (please be specific as to what kind)? How was his/her dental health?Keegan's health was fine before the switch, she didn't really have many allergies, her coat was fine, a bit dry but it still is even with the switch. Her teeth have always been great - she's going on 6 years old and has never had a dental yet.
Keegan has bilateral hip dysplasia and has torn both ACL's of her rear legs she was getting quite arthritic and limping a lot. She's on an all natural pain relief tablet that I think in conjunction with her RAW feeding has made a world of difference in her comfort- she acts like a younger dog - and has high energy for doing what she loves - chasing the tennis ball. :)

How long have you been feeding a raw diet? about 10 months

What were the immediate changes you noticed after the switch? (ie. cleaner teeth, cleaner coat, less odor.) higher energy, less doggie odor, limping decreased rapidly, appetite is better - before she could go days without eating - now she eats once a day - with occasional fasting.... (my choice;)) Her stool size has changed drastically- it is so much smaller now.

just one
n/a
Keegan has been doing fabulous. People comment to me - that isn't the same dog that could barely get around before. As I said previously - I really think that in conjunction with the all natural pain relief she is on -and this new feeding plan has helped her immensely. The only thing I find is it harder to get her to lose weight with this- altho that is probably more directly my fault with the weighing and measuring of the food
What made you make the switch? Please state if the reasoning had any involvement with the pet food recall. I had heard a few of my friends here on this board talk about the benefits of it with their dogs. One of them has a dog that has arthritis due to 2 surgeries on its leg and it is a much younger dog than mine. I researched it and decided I had to try it - it couldn't hurt and I owed it to her to make her more comfortable - after a month - she was doing so well I knew I wouldn't go back. [/color]
I had heard about it for years - I just didn't know much about it - I talked with my friends here on PT.
Do you share the information about raw food with others, and are you an advocate of this diet for those who are interested in it? How do people typically react when you tell them you feed your dog a raw diet?I do share it with people, and am an advocate- I tell people to not knock it until they try it. Some people turn their nose up especially when I talk about her eating raw liver. The only 'issue' I ran into was when I was first buying meat to switch her - I stopped at a small mom and pop run meat store - in a small town. I had never been in there before - I was thinking it was a meat/butcher shop but it is more of a pre-packaging place. The old man running the store told me it would be cheaper to put the dog to sleep than to switch to this type of feeding. I was so mad I couldn't speak. And his employee asked if I was trying to make my dog mean. :mad:

Please note anything else that may be of great interest.if anyone has a dog that has any kind of issues I think they should at least try it for a short time. If you don't like how the dog is reacting or if you don't think its helping you can always go back - but I think you owe it to your dog to do it for their health and well being....

Sorry but I couldn't resist adding the :mad: face up above - I couldn't help it!

.sarah
07-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Thank you both!! I'm fixing to write my second draft, and I'm going to try to incorporate some quotes in it. The final draft is due Wednesday, and I'll post it then. :)

crow_noir
07-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Yup, more energy, better smelling dogs, and all around better health. Those are things i noticed and i can only afford to feed raw once per week if I'm lucky. Though i searched for high quality kibble based off of raw ways of thinking. (The kibble i feed most of the time is not cooked)

higher energy, less doggie odor, limping decreased rapidly

Breath is much better when i can feed raw for a few days in a row.

I also agree... people should do LOTS of research on it before trying it.