PDA

View Full Version : My uncle passed away :(

popcornbird
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
1 week ago, today... :(

Last Tuesday, we got a call from my parents at 12:30am. They had recieved a devastating phone call from my uncle's house in Vancouver, Canada...with the news that my uncle, my dad's youngest brother, had suddenly passed away. :(

It was so sudden, so unexpected. My uncle had just returned home from an evening walk. He went to his bedroom to get his pj's, and just fell, right there on the spot. No last words, no nothing. He was gone that very moment. :( He didn't even know one minute before he died that he would be gone the next. The atopsy results showed that he died of a massive heart attack.

Before he went to his room and collapsed, he told his daughter, "I'll be taking you to the eye doctor tomorrow." He simply had no idea his time had come. :(

He was the 7th sibling of 8, and the first to leave this world. It is heartbreaking for all of us, but especially his wife and children. We just returned from Canada, after our sudden, very sad trip up there, to attend my uncle's funeral.

Last year when he came here with his family to attend my wedding, I never imagined that would be the last time I would ever see him again.

:(

It truly shows the reality of life. We're here one day, and the next day, we're gone. None of us will be here forever. Its almost like we don't even belong on earth at all. Its just a transit station...that's all. Everything seems meaningless after seeing a family member, lying lifeless, ready to go into his grave. :(:(:( He was 53.

Logan
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I am so sorry for your family's terrible loss, my friend.

Love,
Logan

finn's mom
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Live every day as if it were your last. Tell the people in your life exactly how much they mean to you, even if they tire of hearing it. These thoughts always come to mind when I hear of a death, especially one so sudden. I am so sorry for your loss.

4 Dog Mother
07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Karen
07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Prayers being sent your way, dear one.

petslover
07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I am so sorry. Just try to remember all the memories you had with him. Losing someone close is never easy. You are in my thoughts.

Rachel
07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
PCB, I am so sorry that you have to experience this loss in your family. I understand your thoughts and feelings of dispair, but I think your uncle would not want his death to also take away your own zest for life. Yes, you will miss him and grieve for him, that is as it should be, but you should also try to think about the things he held in high regard and find how they can translate into your own life.

The fact that your uncle had a condition that caused a heart attack at an early age is something that your family may need to take into consideration when it comes to being aware of dietary and lifestyle choices. I say that in an attempt to find some sense of direction in this very sad, tragic loss.

Alysser
07-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I am so sorry for this sudden loss in your family. I'll be praying for you. (((hugs)))

Sevaede
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
*HUGS* I am sorry for your loss. :(

CountryWolf07
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I am deeply sorry for your loss.

"Sometimes late at night
I lie awake and watch her sleeping
She's lost in peaceful dreams
So I turn out the lights and lay there in the dark
And a thought crosses my mind
If I never wake in the morning
Would she ever doubt the way I feel
About her in my heart

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
She must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings for them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
She must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of
If tomorrow never comes.." - Garth Brooks

This song comes to mind..

Ginger's Mom
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
I am sorry for your loss, PCB. It is never easy, especially when one so young dies so suddenly. All the more reason to make the most out of the time that we have here, and to tell the people that you love how you feel. {{{Hugs}}}

Edwina's Secretary
07-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I am so sorry PCB....a very young man indeed...

ramanth
07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
So very sorry for your loss. :( :(

kimlovescats
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Very sad and tragic! So very sorry! Hugs to you and his grief-stricken family!

Kim

NoahsMommy
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
((((Poppy)))) ((((((((& Family))))))

I'd wondered where you'd been, but I didn't want to bother you. I wish I'd known, I'd have been praying harder for you and more for your extended family.

You know I'm always here if you need me...if you want to talk, or if I can do anything for you or your family.

I'm so sorry about your uncle, I'm sorry for his wife and his children, I'm sorry for your father and for his siblings. I'm so sorry for you and your hubby had to make such an unpleasant trip...I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetie. :(

RIP, Poppy's Uncle. May God Bless him and his entire family.

Hugs, Prayers & Love,
Kelly :(

Chilli
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm so very sorry. My dad died earlier this year from the same exact thing.. he was only 47. I know how hard reality hits when things like this happens. It seems impossible.
All I can do is offer some good vibes & ((((hugs)))) to you & your family.
You all will be in my thoughts. :(:(

popcornbird
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words. It really means a lot to me.

The fact that your uncle had a condition that caused a heart attack at an early age is something that your family may need to take into consideration when it comes to being aware of dietary and lifestyle choices. I say that in an attempt to find some sense of direction in this very sad, tragic loss.

I understand what you're saying and completely agree. My paternal grandfather also died from a heart attack. I believe he was around 60 when he died. Now my uncle...

My other uncle (dad's oldest brother) also had heart problems. He has had two open heart surgeries, and is doing well, thank God. He also flew to Canada from England for my uncle's funeral.

My uncle that passed away, sadly, was a chain smoker his entire life...I believe from the time he was a teenager. My dad said he used to take too much influence from his 'friends', and would do whatever they did and never listened to the family. Not only did he smoke...he smoked a LOT. A few years ago, he stopped for awhile, but eventually went right back to it.

For some strange reason, my uncle had a strange fear of doctors, and would NEVER go for a check up. He had no idea he had such high cholestrol levels, and over 90% blockage in all four arteries. These were the results we got in his atopsy, but since he never visited the doctor, he never knew. We ALL knew something was wrong with him though. For the past 6 - 7 years, everytime we'd see my uncle and go for a walk with him, he would end up running out of breath and returning home. We tried SO hard to get him to the doctor. Nothing worked. His wife said he made her swear that she wouldn't take him to the doctor even if something ever happens to him.

Somehow, my uncle thought that because his father died at a hospital, anyone who goes to the doctor ends up dying. Now we all wish we had tried even harder to get him to the doctor. When someone's stubborn, somehow people just end up giving up. :(

My parents/all of their siblings do visit the doctor, and stay updated with their health. I don't know why my uncle refused to go, but I honestly don't think he had a full check up in decades. :( I hurt so much for his wife and children. My cousin was such a 'daddy's little girl', and he loved her SO much.

To those of you who are fortunate to still have your parents, I know there are times when you feel like you just can't get along with them. Cherish them, love them, respect them, for as long as you have them. You never know when mom and dad won't be there for you anymore. :(:(

dukedogsmom
07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Very sorry to hear about your uncle. The ones that aren't expected are much harder to handle. But take comfort in the fact that he surely didn't suffer any pain. It is a good point not to take people for granted. I think we're all a little guilty of that, at times. I hope you and your family will make it throgh this alright.

Cataholic
07-24-2007, 10:04 PM
How very sad and tragic. :(

Kater
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm so sorry to read this, Poppy. :( My thoughts are with you and all your family!
{{{{{HUGS}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( My thoughts and prayers are with you,your family and your uncle's family. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

caseysmom
07-25-2007, 12:39 AM
So sorry pcb, it is very scary when heart disease runs in your family. My brother died at 51 recently of heart disease, he was very religious and did not drink or smoke. I am heavier than him and it scares me, I need to get in shape.

Just be there for your Father and cousin, which I am sure you are.

K9soul
07-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Dear Pops, My very deepest sympathies to you and your family. So sudden and so tragic.. :( your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure he is watching over you all with love.

Love, Jess

gini
07-28-2007, 11:23 AM
What a harsh loss for your family. I am so sorry.

Pam
07-28-2007, 11:25 AM
PCB, I send you my heartfelt condolences. Your uncle actually was a young man and with his life ahead of him. I am sorry he didn't visit the doctor sooner. He might still be around. But..... we must not dwell on that. God knew when his time was and he didn't leave this earth one minute before then. I know that doesn't make it any easier for those left behind. (((Hugs))) to you and your family at this very sad time.