PDA

View Full Version : I need help making a grocery list for my new place

king2005
07-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I need help making a grocery list for my new place, as I have pretty much nothing. I have 200.00-300.00 that dad is giving me to spend on food.

I'll keep this list updated the best I can, & I'll add stuff as I can think of it... There will be no Chicken of any sort on the list. I cannot buy chicken as I want to puke just looking at the legs, so I never make it to chicken breasts (which I'll eat).. I've had so much food poisining from the legs, just the thought is bothering me. I'm also allergic to Juices & Jams that are not 100% real fruit & have NO preserv's in them (My throat sweels & it feels like I swallowed a cactus, ouchy!) so I avoid them all... I'm not a fish person, but I'm gonna try to force myself to eat it, as I can get fish for free... from fishing as I have my licence, so anything to make fish taste good would help me greatly!! :)

EDIT: I also need house hold supplies too.. silly me lol

-Salt
-Pepper
-BBQ Sauce
-Ketchup
-Mustard
-Relish
-Bread
-Milk
-Hamburger (beef)
-Pork Chops
-Eggs
-Bacon
-KD (its Mac & Cheese)
-Garlic
-Lemon Juice
-Pasta
-Canned Tomatos
-Frozen Veggies
-Brick of Cheese
-Cheese Slices
-Fresh Fruit
-Lunch Meat
-Canned Soup
-Paper Towels
-Margarine
-Butter
-Tea
-Dishwashing Liquid
-Bleach
-Soap
-Cooking oil - Canola & Peanut
-Mop & Bucket
-Broom
-SOS pads
-Hot Dogs
-Pizza Pockets
-Freezer Ziplock Bags
-Ziplock Bags
-Pinesol
-Canned Coconut Milk
-Rice
-Cereal
-Oatmeal
-Frozen Dinners
-Canned Tuna
-Peanut Butter
-Olive Oil
-Saran Wrap
-Aluminum Foil
-Paper Towels
-Toilet Paper
-Laundry Detergent
-Hand Soaps
-
-
-

Thanks everyone :)
I've never had money for food before, so I really don't know what all I need to live off of.

JenBKR
07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Fresh fruit, lunch meat if you eat it, canned soup (good for a quick meal). I would recommend that you not spend the entire amount on groceries all at once. Instead, put half of it aside for a few weeks or so from now. If you buy too much now, some might go bad. Are you only shopping for food, or do you need other things, like toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, toiletries, cleaning products, etc.? I'll try to think of more too.

wombat2u2004
07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Margarine or butter ???
Coffee ???
Tea ????
Dishwashing liquid ???
Milk ??
Soap ???
Toilet paper ??? (do not be caught without that !!!!)
Cooking oil ????

king2005
07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Fresh fruit, lunch meat if you eat it, canned soup (good for a quick meal). I would recommend that you not spend the entire amount on groceries all at once. Instead, put half of it aside for a few weeks or so from now. If you buy too much now, some might go bad. Are you only shopping for food, or do you need other things, like toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, toiletries, cleaning products, etc.? I'll try to think of more too.

I'm only going to buy small amouts of stuff that'll go bad.. but canned/boxed/frozen goods last forever.

Totally forgot about house supplies!!! I need those too!

I have TP in my car trunk hehehe

JenBKR
07-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm only going to buy small amouts of stuff that'll go bad.. but canned/boxed/frozen goods last forever.

Ok good! I was apparently craving fruit once when I went to the store and bought too much - some of it went bad before I could get to it. I always learn the hard way :rolleyes:

king2005
07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok good! I was apparently craving fruit once when I went to the store and bought too much - some of it went bad before I could get to it. I always learn the hard way :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a fruit person, so I only buy 1 thing of bananas & maybe 1 or 2 green apples. I wont eat more then that in a month or 2... I find fruit too sweet, so its just not my thing.

Blue_Frog
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Ziplock freezer bags -- that way, you can bulk cook things like spaghetti sauce and freeze them.

king2005
07-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Ziplock freezer bags -- that way, you can bulk cook things like spaghetti sauce and freeze them.

Very important!!

You reminded me to add coconut milk as I soooo want coconut rice again!! *Drool*

Karen
07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I'd not go crazy the first time, just buy what you want to use and eat that week and the staples, and you can add more, like spices, as you find you need them.

angelbow20
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
cereal. oatmeal, frozen dinners (good for lunch and such) and canned tuna if your going to start eating fish as well as canned soups.

king2005
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd not go crazy the first time, just buy what you want to use and eat that week and the staples, and you can add more, like spices, as you find you need them.

My dad wants me to fill my cupboards so things will be easier on me for the first few months, as this is my only chance to stock up while hes around.. after that I'm on my own & I only have 100.00/month to live off of. So stalking up on canned goods that I use on a reg bases & all the basics, will mean more edible foods like Meats & Dairy down the road.

Come sept. I'm 100% on my own.. Well dad is still paying my bankruptcy, so I can afford my rent on my own...

king2005
07-24-2007, 11:41 AM
cereal. oatmeal, frozen dinners (good for lunch and such) and canned tuna if your going to start eating fish as well as canned soups.

How did I forget about canned Tuna lol I love to eat it right out of the can lol

Donnaj4962
07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
If you do any baking, you may want to consider a small bag of flour and sugar, and maybe some brown sugar.

Sounds like a great list!

When I first was on my own after college (MANY moons ago! :eek: ), my Dad gave me $100.00 AFTER we had been to the store for all of the staples, and he told me to keep it for an emergency! I had that money for almost a year, and it was nice to know that it was there if I needed it. You may want to consider trying to save some of the money your Dad is giving you for just the same thing. Just a thought.

king2005
07-24-2007, 12:04 PM
If you do any baking, you may want to consider a small bag of flour and sugar, and maybe some brown sugar.

Sounds like a great list!

When I first was on my own after college (MANY moons ago! :eek: ), my Dad gave me $100.00 AFTER we had been to the store for all of the staples, and he told me to keep it for an emergency! I had that money for almost a year, and it was nice to know that it was there if I needed it. You may want to consider trying to save some of the money your Dad is giving you for just the same thing. Just a thought.

He gave me 500.00 & said to spend 300.00 on food & a costco membership. I plan to put 50.00 away. I also get really big bonuses 4 times a year, so in a yrs time I should have over 2k put away... I have plans for it already, as some is going to my car & the rest is going to my OSAP loan<-- thats dads rule..

Vela
07-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I dunno how well a Costco membership is going to come in handy if you only have 100.00 a month for groceries. We shop there often and only a few items will easily equal 100.00 and then you won't be able to afford any other food the rest of the month. Just a thought, but good luck with the list and it 's nice that your dad is helping you out.

king2005
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I dunno how well a Costco membership is going to come in handy if you only have 100.00 a month for groceries. We shop there often and only a few items will easily equal 100.00 and then you won't be able to afford any other food the rest of the month. Just a thought, but good luck with the list and it 's nice that your dad is helping you out.

I only buy my meats & Iced Tea at Costco.. Their meat is soooo much fresher & you get a crazy amount for cheap!! Thats all I use Costco for... otherwise to me its useless... Weather I'm saving a bundle on meats, its the quality I like... There is no green or brown meats sold there, like there is in all the shops in this blasted city... Green meat isn't ment to be sold or eatten!! yuck!

RedHedd
07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Peanut butter
Olive oil
Storage bags, Saran wrap, aluminum foil, paper towels
Toilet paper (of course!)
Laundry detergent
Hand soaps

king2005
07-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Peanut butter
Olive oil
Storage bags, Saran wrap, aluminum foil, paper towels
Toilet paper (of course!)
Laundry detergent
Hand soaps

I'm not use to cooking, as well.. never had money for food before.. so what would I use Olive oil for? Does it make pan fried stuff taste better?

RICHARD
07-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Don't forget utensils

A good veggie peeler.
can opener and some wooden spoons.

Good luck!

--------

As you make your list try this!

Guesstimate what you will spend for each item. keep a running total.
it helps!

Vela
07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Olive oil is better for your heart and as good flavor but it IS expensive and really isn't used to fry things in. It actually has too much flavor for general frying (as well as being too expensive for that), use canola or peanut for that. A good less expensive canola oil is a good all around oil, but olive is good for using in salads and dressings and things where you want to saute some onions, etc, for a dish you are making. I would get that only if you plan on using it more for flavor, etc., and not for a general purpose household oil, since you are on a budget. Would be a nice addition later though.

king2005
07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't forget utensils

A good veggie peeler.
can opener and some wooden spoons.

Good luck!

--------

As you make your list try this!

Guesstimate what you will spend for each item. keep a running total.
it helps!

Thanks Richard.. I have a stupid sharp veggie peeler hehe It likes to peel my skin :eek:

Oooo I'll have to look in my corn pot to see if I took my can opener.. I hope so, it was a really good one too... My Corn pot is filled with utencils, I'm so glad I snaged some of those when I did... I have 1 wooden spoon.. I think I need a flipper... I'll take a peek tonight, as I have to empty out my car, as I'm going up north to Little Lake to party & have fun at a buddies cottage...

I don't have a clue as to what things are going to cost. I know the grocery store in the ghetto is crazy cheap for canned/boxed goods. A big can of Primo sauce, costs $0.79.. & a big can of peeled seasoned tomatos costs $0.79 as well... Thats why I want to get my canned goods there.. I have to visit friends in the ghetto once or twice a week, so I'll be able to buy my goods there :D Costco is only 2 blocks away from my work, so I'm glad about that :D

king2005
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Olive oil is better for your heart and as good flavor but it IS expensive and really isn't used to fry things in. It actually has too much flavor for general frying (as well as being too expensive for that), use canola or peanut for that. A good less expensive canola oil is a good all around oil, but olive is good for using in salads and dressings and things where you want to saute some onions, etc, for a dish you are making. I would get that only if you plan on using it more for flavor, etc., and not for a general purpose household oil, since you are on a budget. Would be a nice addition later though.

ahhhh... I'll leave it on my list for now, & I'll see how much money I have left over & if I have enough, I'll buy a bottle of it.. as I love onions!!