PDA

View Full Version : How Does Cats React To Other Pets?

SANDY FROST
07-24-2002, 11:44 PM
:) MY CATS REACT TOTALLY DIFFERRENT WITH EACH KIND OF PET.
MY CATS LOVE MY FROGS BECAUSE THEY JUMP AROUND ALOT.
WHERE AS MY TURTLES THEY'RE INTERESTED BUT STAY AWAY.
HOW ABOUT YPUR PETS?

SANDY FROST:eek: :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2002, 12:04 AM
I really wouldn't know how they would react because I only have 3 cats and they are indoor only cats. They do like to watch birds and become very excited so I could never have a pet bird around.

SANDY FROST
07-25-2002, 12:21 AM
KRAZY ABOUTKATZ'

BIRDWATCHING IS LIKE TV FOR CATS. I HAVE ONE WHO STAYS GLUED TO THE WINDOWS WHEN THERE ARE BIRDS.
:D
SANDY FROST

Vio&Juni
07-26-2002, 02:50 AM
For sure, I would never have a bat as a pet. Juni cought one once and.... Yuuuukh, ate it. We live at the 6th floor and she likes to watch the birds and in the evening if the window is opened the bats flying. I am so worried that she's trying to catch them. I have to keep the window closed after the dark.

moosmom
07-27-2002, 10:26 AM
I have 6 cats and they react to birds by sitting on the windowsill "cackling" at them. The birds actually sit on the wire and taunt them.

Bugs are a different story. Shorty (the Munchkin) and Carly (the American Curl) LOVE to play with bugs. They won't kill them, but they torture them, walk around with them alive in their mouths, till they finally tire of them and eat them. Hey, it's protein from what I'm told.

Other than that, they haven't really been exposed to any other animals but cats.

sasvermont
07-27-2002, 03:53 PM
I now have three cats and it seems that two react differently and I am about to find out how the third cat reacts to other cats. My first two, Graemer and Miley are so different when it comes to inter-reactions. Graemer is loving, curious and takes over the new comer and Miley is standoffish, jealous and uptight with new comers. Go figure. I have yet to see what Gabe is like with new pets. I am going to housesit someone else's cat in two weeks, so I will have more information then......
:rolleyes:

Pam
07-27-2002, 05:08 PM
My two cats have lived with dogs all of their lives. All but one are at the Rainbow Bridge and I am happy to report they currently peacefully co-exist with our current doggie resident, Bella. Trevor goes from ignoring Bella to actively engaging in wrestling activities, etc. with her. Sometimes he is the chaser and sometimes he is the chasee! :rolleyes: Andy never starts anything with Bella which surprises me because he always :rolleyes: starts the wrestling matches between himself and Trev. If Bella gets on his nerves he simply goes to higher ground where she can't reach him. Usually things are very peaceful around here and I think it's because as kittens Trevor and Andy grew up with dogs and Bella came to live here at 8 weeks of age and simply accepted the cats as part of her new life. I think Bella would welcome another dog, but I have my doubts as to whether Trevor and Andy would welcome another cat. They are a pretty tight duo! ;)

Heather Wallace
07-27-2002, 05:45 PM
My cat Max kills frogs, I have also found the odd dead fish from next doors pond, but sshh! Dont tell anyone.

Max loves the rabbits, he chases them, we ca;; him the sheperd cat, as he protects them when they are in the garden.

Tatty doesnt bother, he just stays away, he is more of a himan cat where Max like to mix.

Former User
07-29-2002, 01:44 AM
As we don't have other pets except C & K, I don't know. But for exapmle birds that fly too close our windows, will be chasen away (it's safe to do it from other side of the glass, in real I think C & K would be afraid to touch the birds, esp. those pigeons that come and tease them sometimes!). :D

SANDY FROST
07-29-2002, 03:14 AM
CASPER&KITTY,:rolleyes:

AT ONE TIME WE HAD 3 TABBIES AND THEIR WAS THIS FAMILY OF SCRUB JAYS
THAT LOVED TO TORMENT OUR HOUSECATS. IN THE BACKROOM WAS A 19 INCH TV ON A CABINET WHERE THE CATS W0ULD LOOK OUT THE WINDOW AT THE JAYS. WELL ONE DAY THE WHOLE FAMILY OF JAYS HUNG UPSIDE DOWN
ON THE RAINGUTTER ABOVE THE WINDOW LOOKING IN AT THE CATS. I HAVE NEVER SEEN 3 CATS SO RILED UP BEFORE. WE HAD TO BANG ON THE WINDOWTO CHASE THE JAYS AWAY.
SANDY FROST

Fuzzy317
07-29-2002, 03:54 AM
Our 4 cats and 3 dogs get along pretty well. Our alpha dog is much bigger than the others so he is left alone unless he starts the interaction. Our alpha cat (he seems alpha, even though alpha doesn't usually apply to cats) is bigger than the other cats and the puppy, so they usually leave him alone. Our puppy Ginger is still not sure of dominance, so she plays and tries to dominate all the others.