PDA

View Full Version : We have a mystery in our kitchen

catnapper
07-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Something is under my stove and under the cabinets in the kitchen. We humans have no idea what this something could be. We can't hear it. We don't see it. We haven't seen evidence of its presence. Yet the cats all tell us something is there. Abby has been stationed in the kitchen watching under the cabinets the past day and half. She's on guard and moves stealthily. Pouncer relieves her when she goes for a beauty nap ;) At any given moment, there is at least one tabby standing guard over the kitchen cabinets, and Abby seems to be the head kitty in this defense.

Any idea what this something is? I figure a mouse would have shown some droppings by now. We do have chipmunks outside... maybe one somehow got in the house? Wouldn't we have heard it? Seen it?

What can we do about our invisible guest? We figure if its dumb enough to venture out of its hidey hole, that one of 5 cats will quickly react. If it remains in its hidey hole, its gonna perish soon from lack of food and water. Unless it goes into the waste basket thats under the sink... it could survive on Cameron's leftovers forever without leaving its hidey hole! :eek:

Ideas anyone?

Cinder & Smoke
07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Something is under my stove and under the cabinets in the kitchen.

:eek:

Does your STOVE have the typical single, large, deep, DRAWER under the oven?
If so, pull it out, <lift> & <wiggle> it a bit,
and it should release from the slide-out rails.

Once the drawer is out of the way, you can usually see right down to the Floor.

You might now spot "evidence" left by the critter;
and the Critter Elimination Crew can get a little closer to their work.

;)

joycenalex
07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Ideas anyone?[/QUOTE]
mouse, and phreds' suggestion is great, just have a flashlight, broom and dustpan handy

catnapper
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Ok, anyone brave enough to come remove the drawer from the stove? :eek:

Maybe hubby can do it tomorrow. I am not brave enough when it comes to wild critters living under my cabinets! :o

Thanks for the idea Phred. I hadn't even considered that. What a great idea!

Hellow
07-22-2007, 08:08 PM
In the past i have noticed a few threads about the "Ghosts" from the deceased people that once live on the land where their house once sat, mabye the cats could be seeing the "Ghosts"?

wombat2u2004
07-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Your house is not built over an old indian gravesite is it ?????
I seen a movie like that once, and it was really creepy....eh ??? :D
Wom

moosmom
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Kim,

I had a mouse problem in an apartment I lived in years ago. Sure enough, they were under my stove. The same kind of stove you have, with the drawer. Late at night, I could hear a sound like something rolling on my hard wood floors. I'd get up and investigate and found the ant traps were on their side. Weird. Went back to bed. Another night went by and I heard the same noise. Got up (didn't turn the light on this time) and saw a mouse playing with the ant trap. :eek: My landlord was a real practical joker and I thought he was doing it to make me think I was seeing things. I used a glue trap to get the mouse under the stove. I told my landlord about it and he said he'd take care of it. When I got home from work, he told me he caught the mouse and it was underneath a bucket in the driveway. I went to look at it and almost fainted!!! The jerk put one of his kid's large stuffed mice toys under the bucket. :eek: God how I hated that man!!! His wife and I were good friends and still remain so. He's still a jerk. :rolleyes:

Freedom
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Close the cats in a bedroom or elsewhere out of the way when you investigate. I don't think you want the "Keystone Kops" routine which is sure to develop if you get 'what-ever-it-is' out and have the cats free to chase it!

Are you in a house with a cellar? Anything down there to give you an idea what is going on?

If it remains in its hidey hole, its gonna perish soon from lack of food and water. You don't want that to happen. The smell will readily become apparent to humans as well!

Plan how to get "it" out of the house if you find "it" when you move the drawer.

smokey the elder
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Maybe you have greeblingz! :D

Sevaede
07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Kim, it's me. I've been hiding out in there this whole time. :p :D