PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- CAUTION THERE ARE SPOLIERS IN HERE!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
07-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Ok, don't read any farther if you don't want to know what happens, please!!!

Did anyone else finish this book yet? I read it yesterday...I just couldn't put it down. Part of me wanted it to last longer, but then again, I really wanted to know what happened! :D

I am glad that Harry lived, I would have been really sad had he died. I was even crying when I thought he was really going to give up his life! :o

I thought it was a very good book, and a satisfactory ending to the series. I'm not too sure I liked the epilogue though. It seemed at bit much- though I'm glad that Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny end up together.

What are your thoughts on the book?

Logan
07-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I just started it yesterday. I'm NOT reading anything else about it! It will take me a while to get through it since I don't have the time I would like to spend on it. We went and saw "The Order of the Phoenix" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

mrspunkysmom
07-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Spoilers

Just ramblings for now.
I read the whole thing already, too. I liked the book. I liked the epilogue, but wished there had been more. I would like to know what his career was. I supposed he had to go back to school to finish, so he could become an auror. That leaves room for more books, but after having fought Voldemort and won any other story would be anti-climatic.

It ended as I expected. Snape was a sort of good guy. One of the twins died. Other adults died. I didn't expect both Tonks and Lupin to die. I figured that one of the elder Weasley's would die. I had wondered if Harry was a horcrux. As it was, it ended up saving his life. Or I think it did. I think he should have secured the ring.

Am I right? Harry IS a descendant of Slytherin, or was Gaunt making a false claim to fame? The Peverel Coat of arms on the ring?

Pembroke_Corgi
07-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I read the whole thing already, too. I liked the book. I liked the epilogue, but wished there had been more. I would like to know what his career was. I supposed he had to go back to school to finish, so he could become an auror. That leaves room for more books, but after having fought Voldemort and won any other story would be anti-climatic.

It ended as I expected. Snape was a sort of good guy. One of the twins died. Other adults died. I didn't expect both Tonks and Lupin to die. I figured that one of the elder Weasley's would die. I had wondered if Harry was a horcrux. As it was, it ended up saving his life. Or I think it did. I think he should have secured the ring.

Am I right? Harry IS a descendant of Slytherin, or was Gaunt making a false claim to fame? The Peverel Coat of arms on the ring?
I agree, I was also wondering what kind of careers that Harry, Ron and Hermione had.

I'm not sure about Harry being related to Slytherin...I'll have to go back and check the book. I know that Harry got the invisibility cloak from a relation, but I don't remember if the ring once belonged to a relation or not.

I know there was a lot of speculation prior to the book being released about Snape "having" to kill Dumbledore, but frankly I didn't believe it and I was hoping for Snape to get it in this book! I guess he was ok, but still not my favorite character! :D

mrspunkysmom
07-23-2007, 01:16 AM
The cloak has been handed down since Ignotus Peverell. The ring or stone had the symbol for the Deathly Hallows on it, which was mistakenly called the Peverell coat of arms by Marvolo Gaunt. That ring had been in the Slytherin family for generations. Probably distant cousins. Or the ring could have been stolen. Yet claiming to the ministry worker that he carried the Peverell coat of arms seemed to indicate that the name was important and indicated that he was a pureblood and of Slytherin's descent.

Interesting.

She has left this open to interpretation. I'm assuming they are related somewhere back there.

What is interesting is that dumbledore could not wear the ring, yet Marvolo Gaunt did. Also Umbridge was not affected by the locket, yet Harry, Ron, and Hermione were.

Just some thoughts.

ramanth
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
What is interesting is that dumbledore could not wear the ring, yet Marvolo Gaunt did. Also Umbridge was not affected by the locket, yet Harry, Ron, and Hermione were.

Just some thoughts.
Dumbledore couldn't wear the ring because of the curse Voldemort had put on it after making it a horcrux. The ring wasn't yet a horcrux when Marvolo had it. :)

I also think Umbridge was evil enough to not really notice if the locket affected her or not. Harry and Co. are good people so the change the locket made was noticiable.

slleipnir
07-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm just annoyed that all my fav. characters were killed...sirius, snape, lupin, fred D: ick. Should have skipped the epilogue all together.

k9krazee
07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
FINALLY got my book on Wednesday and was able to read it. Remind me to never order such a thing online again ;)

Overall, I liked it...but didn't really care for the epilogue, it left too much unanswered. First of all I hated the names for Harry's kids..especially Albus Severus..C'MON! Haha, but other than that I wish it would have went into more detail about where Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione ended up (job wise). However I did hear that Rowling is writing an encyclopedia to explain more. I also heard of an interview explaining that Harry and Ron became an Aurors and Hermione runs the Department for Magical Law Enforcement. I thought it was neat that Snape died a "good guy". I didn't even understand the whole King's Cross chapter...was he dead or unconcious?

Giselle
07-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I finished it on Sunday. Yes, I spent the day reading Harry Potter :p

After reading about Snape, I felt so bad for hating him. The only reason he didn't like Harry was because of his obvious similarities to James Potter. That was heartbreaking!

Anywho, I don't think Harry being the Horcrux was the thing that saved his life. I'm pretty sure it was when Voldemort took his blood ("blood of the enemy") during the Triwizard Cup to gain physical life. Just as Voldemort could not die while pieces of him were in Harry, Harry could not die when pieces of himself were in Voldemort.

I totally expected Neville to do something outrageously heroic, but I'm disappointed that he's professor of HERBOLOGY. Come onnnn, he should at least be the professor of defense against the dark arts!! And it took me awhile to understand how Draco was the true master of the Elder Wand until somebody explained it to me (Draco disarmed Dumbledore and was thus the real true master of the wand).

mrspunkysmom
07-28-2007, 02:04 AM
It's late and I'll comment later, but you might want to read the interivew with JKR with Meredith Viera. It answers a lot of questions, esp about the epilogue. The link I provide goes to mugglenet and it has links to the msnbc interviews.

JKR interivews (http://www.mugglenet.com/app/category/show/8)

smokey the elder
07-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I just finished it this morning! It definitely reinforced the idea that no one (except perhaps "You Know Who") was totally good or totally evil. I felt sorry for Snape, who turned out to have a lot more courage than expected. I was blown away when I found out that the doe was Snape's patronus! :eek:

slleipnir
07-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I thought it was way to predictable. I guessed pretty much everything that happened. I knew snape would end up good, I knew a lot of characters would die, I figured harry was a horocrux etc

Uabassoon
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I totally expected Neville to do something outrageously heroic, but I'm disappointed that he's professor of HERBOLOGY. Come onnnn, he should at least be the professor of defense against the dark arts!!

I was happy to see Neville as a professor of herbology. That's what he loved, throughout the series the books mention how great he is at it and how much he loves it. In my mind I always pictures Neville holding a plant while he was walking around. While he did learn defense against the dark arts, it wasn't something that came natural to him the way herbology did.

mrspunkysmom
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, JKR did leave clues all over the place. The only outcomes left hanging were Harry's, Ron's, and Hermione's fate and the fate of Voldemort. One of the interviews had her using the word "scar" as the last word of the book, leaving one wondering if Voldemort were really dead. I'm glad she changed it. Harry has indeed had enough trouble in his short life.

As for Neville being professor of Herbology: it is what he loves. That doesn't mean that he still can't hex someone. I would like to see some short stories about the rebuilding or overhaul of Hogwarts. Did the three have to finish their last year or were they exempted?

You really need to read the interivews. At first she was going to give the fates and careers of many that were involved. It looked like a list. So she changed the ending. In the interviews she gives hints about what some fo the characters are doing. She is probably going to publish an Encyclopedia.

Cool!

Dumbledore couldn't wear the ring because of the curse Voldemort had put on it after making it a horcrux. The ring wasn't yet a horcrux when Marvolo had it.

Oops, good point.

Karen
07-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I liked the ending, though I was surprised that I did. The epilogues, while a little "too much," probably was necessary to forestall a million letters saying "then what?" It seemed a little too "happily ever after," but these are meant to be children's books, after all.

Suki Wingy
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Well- I'm a teensy bit dissapointed. I don't like the way or style it was written, but I do like WHAT happened. I've always thought the series "grew Up" with the kids like me who were 8 or so when Sorceres Stone came out, but DH was back to the same reading level as SS or CoS. Turns out that I correctly predicted the Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny relationships, plus the fact that the Malfoys would back out. I'm actually a proud Slytherin myself. :) I now find try and ask myself WWLD? (What would Luna do?) whenever I don't know what to do. I love her character. :)
Although I must have re-read several parts over at least 4 times. I cried when Tonks and Lupin died. :( *tear* Poor Fred too.... (I did smile really big when I read Neville becoming the Herbology teacher. :)

On a happier note, what house is everyone in?
CLICK HERE TO SORT (http://www.personalitylab.org/tests/ccq_hogwarts.htm)
I ranked
1. Slytherin
2. Ravenclaw
3. Gryffindor
4. Hufflepuff

JuniorxMyxLove
07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah i really didn't like the epilogue. It was too fairy tale-ish that ron andhermoine and harry and ginny all ended up together. and i was thinking that harry would become eadmaster of hogwarts. maybe not though.

but it was an amazing book! haha it made me cry :]

and i am in gryffindor. :]

mrspunkysmom
07-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Ravenclaw

Alysser
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
My list is:
-Gryffindore
-Ravenclaw
-Hufflepuff
-Slytherin
:)

ETA: sorry didn't add the percentages. :p

Karen
07-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Gryffindor - 100%!
Ravenclaw - 84%
Hufflepuff - 99%
Slytherin - 44%

shais_mom
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I finished it last week - and LOVED it -
was so sad to see it over tho!
I think she did the epilogue so that
she wouldn't be tempted to write more books but
I did hear that it is still a possibility......

Karen
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
For people who thought the epilogue wasn't enough ...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/07/30/potters.afterlife.ap/index.html

Miss Z
08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I was a little disappointed I have to admit. I know I'm not a fan of JKR's writing style, but I thought the plot was a little weak at times and the link between Harry and Voldemort's mind was over-used, in my opinion. The ending was a little predictable, although I would never have guessed all those things in Dumbledore's past.

It was worth reading just to find out how it all ended, I suppose. ;)

And I'm 94% Ravenclaw, 86% Gryffindor, 73% Slytherin and 70% Hufflepuff.

critters
08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't know how I missed this; I must've missed looking at the 2nd page all this time. I even considered starting a DH thread!! :o I just finished the second go-through of it, this time with the audiobook. Poor Dobby!!! :eek:

-Pickle-
08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
i didnt really like it. i thought the epilogue seemed like JK Rowling thought "oh dear i have to have some more lines so i dont have to edit i know harry + Ginny and hermione and ron fall in love the end" it seemed way too OTT. like rowling had lost interest in it almost.

critters
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
In the interviews and stuff I think she said she'd started with a longer one then cut it down; she's also answered TONS of lingering questions that way (like the trio's jobs, for instance).

critters
08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
"kissing gate" was another new one on me. http://www.answers.com/topic/kissing-gate