PDA

View Full Version : My eclectic thread!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Coming from various sources are groups of put together parodized thinglywidgets from the Horned Puffins bag of Bull Stuff (Polite form) I will start with Woot~~~And "I will not like at my chillen naky!"2110000000000000Sorry George walked across the keyboard:D I do wha
t I want (walked across again) I you can't pronounce it, don't eat it...O14h2 <walks over keyboard> Jeez George...I'll finish this when George falls asleep! More typing from george if I-= can get him to!7Well here it goes1-00000000000000000000 There now I seem to have lost my train of thought...I will come back later to edit this...

Karen
07-24-2002, 09:04 PM
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/graphics/hornedpuff1a.jpg

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Karen
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/graphics/hornedpuff1a.jpg Thats me to the left...Thanks Karen, I guess you saw my website.

Karen
07-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Actually, I found that on New Hampshire Public Television's site! :)

At Halloween, do you create yourself a Puffin-beak?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:19 PM
Actually, I found that on New Hampshire Public Television's site! :)

At Halloween, do you create yourself a Puffin-beak? That would be so cool...Karen you're brilliant! YES!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:21 PM
A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF A FUNCTION IS A TYPE OF POLYNOMIAL THAT WILL AT ANY GIVEN POINT, GIVE YOU A RATIO OF ITS POSITION, SEE "POLAR COORDINATES" Jeez I hate caps lock...:)

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Off to search for random topics...

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:33 PM
http://thor.prohosting.com/~tucharen/puffin2.gif

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Puffin83
http://thor.prohosting.com/~tucharen/puffin2.gif Try again? http://www.thor.prohosting.com/~tucharen/puffin2.gif

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Try again? http://www.thor.prohosting.com/~tucharen/puffin2.gif Do you see these?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 09:48 PM
Pictures are not working...Argh..well time to copy&paste...I'll be back soon...

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:18 PM
Pop, why must you ignore me? Because you don't relate to "boys"?:D

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:23 PM
The ALE formulation uses the displacement boundary conditions applied by the D, DL, and DA commands to update the finite element mesh. It determines the displacement at the beginning of each time step relative to the previous time step. For each time step, an elasticity based morphing algorithm updates the mesh. The algorithm ensures that boundary layers are retained (that is, nodes in a fine mesh area move less than nodes in a coarse mesh area).

A transient analysis cannot proceed if morphing fails. If morphing is independent of the fluid flow solution, you can step through the morphing algorithm before doing a fluid flow analysis to determine whether morphing will fail. To do so, issue the following command sequence:

/solu
fldata,solu,turb,f
fldata,solu,temp,f
fldata,solu,spec,f
fldata,solu,ale,t
fldata,solu,flow,f
solve
You can not check for morphing failure in advance if the time step size depends on the fluid flow variables or the problem involves a free surd.

AdoreMyDogs
07-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Thats me to the left...Thanks Karen, I guess you saw my website.

:D that was really funny!

Karen
07-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Um...what's an electric thread? Oh yeah nevermind......I have to ignore you. :rolleyes:

From m-w.com (dictionary)
Eclectic - Pronunciation: e-'klek-tik, i-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek eklektikos, from eklegein to select, from ex- out + legein to gather
1 : selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines, methods, or styles
2 : composed of elements drawn from various sources;

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:28 PM
The ALE formulation uses the displacement boundary conditions applied by the D, DL, and DA commands to update the finite element mesh. It determines the displacement at the beginning of each time step relative to the previous time step. For each time step, an elasticity based morphing algorithm updates the mesh. The algorithm ensures that boundary layers are retained (that is, nodes in a fine mesh area move less than nodes in a coarse mesh area).

A transient analysis cannot proceed if morphing fails. If morphing is independent of the fluid flow solution, you can step through the morphing algorithm before doing a fluid flow analysis to determine whether morphing will fail. To do so, issue the following command sequence:

/solu
fldata,solu,turb,f
fldata,solu,temp,f
fldata,solu,spec,f
fldata,solu,ale,t
fldata,solu,flow,f
solve
You can not check for morphing failure in advance if the time step size depends on the fluid flow variables or the problem involves a free surd. This is what I work on, among many other things...;) More blah...You like this thread...C'mon! Admit it and be saved!;) :p I'm not up to par tonight, I'll try tommorow.:confused:

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs

:D that was really funny! Don't make fun...Puffins can peck! Hahaha! You are nothing but a mere nambsie p Pamsie to the Puffins! Peehehehe!<birdlike laughter>

Karen
07-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Stuff like that makes me remember I never took Physics in High School at all - the teacher choice was not my favorite. I could pretend to kinda follow all that, but really, haven't a clue!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Stuff like that makes me remember I never took Physics in High School at all - the teacher choice was not my favorite. I could pretend to kinda follow all that, but really, haven't a clue! Hmm...Well you know I could teach you...:)

mugsy
07-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Yep Karen....I HATED Physics in college...my brain works backwards from it...which is kind of frightening when you think about it, being that Physics is what makes the world go 'round and I see it backwards. Hmmmm....Puffin....what kind of weirdness could I create with that???? Imagine the possibilities!! lol

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:52 PM
STEP ONE OF TWO:First of all the mesh is used as an analyzing device in fluid dynamics that the fluid arbitrarily absorbing and emitting photons (hence the name radiation hydrodynamics)passes through the mesh, and the ALE stands for Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian moving mesh...As the step in time (time step) continues, the mesh becomes more and more distorted, thus becoming an asymptotic algorithm When the time step runs out, the mesh must be given up and thus from the collapsed mesh we get a polynomal...a function f that will give us the ratio of its position to time at any given point in space, thus recreating a mesh with the delta derived from the function...The mesh can continue to another time step. using the method known as the Monte Carlo method, we view the system from the outside until the time step runs out, then we can integrate another systems time to activate the Eulerian codes that are simplified units of information that can be combined to create the mesh. Part two...Umm..Pending...;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-24-2002, 10:58 PM
OMG!!! after reading all of this i think my brain is frying!!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
OMG!!! after reading all of this i think my brain is frying!! All you need to do is read it slowly, bit by bit, thats how I understood. I'm no above average guy, just think math is "rad"

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Yep Karen....I HATED Physics in college...my brain works backwards from it...which is kind of frightening when you think about it, being that Physics is what makes the world go 'round and I see it backwards. Hmmmm....Puffin....what kind of weirdness could I create with that???? Imagine the possibilities!! lol Write that down...Make it a post...Really, it would be quite deep...

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:22 PM
This is the absolute BEST thread! Ideas are spilling from our provacative minds! Howl if you love Allen Ginsberg!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:23 PM
Think ratio to reality 5:7 variable. Hmm...Yeesh that sounds like some corny 13 year old girls Sabrina show or one of those stupid movies like Crush Course...Hehehe

kohala
07-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Math is just another language, kind of like a pattern for making things. They teach it in such a way that it discourages people from attempting it. It's funny, though, like Karen said, when you take a strange concept, break it into little pieces and relate each piece to something you know, you'd be amazed when you put it all together at what you can learn and understand! I believe in trying to know things, so we become a better society of aware people. The same applies to our understanding of our animals.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by kohala
Math is just another language, kind of like a pattern for making things. They teach it in such a way that it discourages people from attempting it. It's funny, though, like Karen said, when you take a strange concept, break it into little pieces and relate each piece to something you know, you'd be amazed when you put it all together at what you can learn and understand! I believe in trying to know things, so we become a better society of aware people. The same applies to our understanding of our animals. Pre-mathematics:Manifestation of patterns Mathematics: finding patterns
Latter mathematics: analyzing patterns.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-25-2002, 12:03 AM
PLEASE understand I am really not as stupid as this may make me sound.....

so physics is math?!?!:confused:

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:06 AM

so physics is math?!?!:confused: Math derives from physics, unless you go to www.physicsforums.com and talk to Alexander, he thinks that the universe is created by mathematics...

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:08 AM

Naaa, you know why. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Everyone knows why! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Nevermind. Because I tell you the truth about religion which you can't come to accept? You can't comprehend me, can you?

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:12 AM

Physics is a kind of science. The fella doesn't know what he's talking about. ;) I love Physics but Puffin's made is so boring that I couldn't even read the whole thing. This thread is boring. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Wench. I spent 3 years in College nonstop studying this, and you 15 year old want to debunk it?

shais_mom
07-25-2002, 12:23 AM
Um Mr. Puffin, I am not a 15 year old wench and I don't mean any disrespect to you or popcornbird at all. Anyone who is a mathematician or physicist has kudos in my book. But may you and popcornbird should not post on each other's posts!!! Don't let her get the best of you! ;)

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:25 AM

You are 19 as you stated earlier. If you graduated at 18, as most kids do, you couldn't have attended college for more than 1 year. If somehow, you graduated at 17, like a friend of mine, you couldn't have been in college for more than 2 years. There is no way that you could have spent 3 years in college when you are 19. :rolleyes: Why am I not ignoring you??? :confused: :rolleyes: Well, I'm going to after this post.....just let me tell you what the definition of physics is from the dictionary.......

Ok, according to the dictionary, which knows more than you, the definition of PHYSICS is.......

The science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two, grouped in traditional fields such as acoustics, optics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, as well as in modern extensions including atomic and nuclear physics, cryogenics, solid-state physics, particle physics, and plasma physics.

Haha! I was right and you were wrong! Talk about three years in college! Uh huh.....right................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Time to IGNORE! :p That doesn't prove anything about math not deriving from physics...You don't know what you are talking about...

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:28 AM

so physics is math?!?!:confused:
Physics uses mathematics as it's language, but any good pool player can teach you a heck of a lot more about mechanics than a lot of theoreticians!! Electricity, optics, stuff like that. There are courses that don't use so much math (that is, that aren't Calculus based), and if you get a good instructor, the experiments can be a lot of fun. As an adult, I enjoyed it in a way I wouldn't have when I was younger. It can be taught in the same interesting way younger children are taught, seeing why things do what they do, and making them happen yourself.

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:28 AM
And I skipped at age 16...

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Pop, read what you just said...It proves nothing...Like Kohala said, mathematics is the language of physics, but mathematics derived from physics, they calculated killing a sabre toothed beast with physics, they did not go invent calculus and plan the parabola...

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:37 AM

I know that Physics uses math as its language.....that's why I love physics, because I love math! :D What I'm saying is that its a kind of science.....which it is, but that doesn't mean it doesn't use math as its language. Physics has a lot of math in it, but its still a kind of science. That was my point. And one more thing, I don't know if you read some bad things that Puffin wrote before, but that's why I'm speaking in this way to him. I love Pet Talk and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, and I don't want such a great site to get ruined because of some people using bad language. I would never have talked in that way to Puffin if he didn't say bad stuff, but from now on, I'm not going to post any messages to him. It really isn't worth it. :rolleyes: I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to offend him in anyway for no apparent reason. :D Pop thats what I said, you cankerblossom!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
and you deliberatly aggravate me to get me banned, you fool!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:40 AM
You live a lie.

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Science and math are very much interrelated though. You can't do one without the other rearing its ugly (proverbially speaking) head.

I agree that Puff and Pop just need to stay out of each other's threads as to not clutter things up. Each has valuable things to add, but don't see eye to eye with each other.

While I don't understand a lot of the thread either (and I had 4 years of college science), I am have lots of fun...it gets the creative juices flowing and makes me think, although my brain hurts! lol

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:45 AM
You can't believe pop has anything to add but her love to use the sarcastic smily!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:47 AM
Pop, are you having a stroke? j/k!!!:)

mugsy
Hey I DID make 1400 didn't I?? lol Thanks Pop!

Puffin83
Jeez that was hard to press that Submit reply button on that one...

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:48 AM
AND NO comments from the peanut gallery about how observant I am Puff! lol

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:49 AM
Too late!:D ;) :p

zippy-kat
07-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Jeez that was hard to press that Submit reply button on that one...

Ok, P-Diddy, *THAT* one was funny! lol

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

Ok, P-Diddy, *THAT* one was funny! lol
ROFL
You better get George aka Fluff back on the keys, dude!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:24 AM

ROFL
You better get George aka Fluff back on the keys, dude! Hehehe...George! i think he's asleep, but it IS 2:30 am so...;)

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:27 AM
So, what are you saying here Puff...that we're insomniacs with no life or what?? lol

zippy-kat
07-25-2002, 01:31 AM
So, what are you saying here Puff...that we're insomniacs with no life or what?? lol

Hey! Careful Mugs--yer describin' meself! ;) lol
We should all be in a chatroom--it'd be faster and the poor other PetTalkers who don't care about this gibberish, wouldn't have to read it! lol

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:37 AM
Well, they don't have to open the thread!! lol

Well, you know, I was pretty much describing meself!! lol

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 11:09 AM
TRIVIA!:The original heart of dixie was new York state!
In Greece, shaking your head means yes, nodding means no
Romans used pigeon poop to bleach their hair!~~~

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:50 PM
A puffin, a duck and two cats have sailed from Norway. Duck should be here soon. As for George, he be perched up on my prehensile Norweigen tail. Hmm...Duck, my friend, this thread is going downhill! We need to pair up and have inspiring tales to tell from Norway! ~~~Amnd this man with a slight tail called me a puff head so I bit his tail, slapped 'im and called 'im shorty.

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:36 PM
(Somewhere in rural West Virginia)Jesco! Are you out daincin' somewor? And I said by god yes we gonna turn this car around and get my costly sunglasses. She said "But I'm tard" I said well you'll be sleepin in yo grave. Turn around and we're gonna get them costly sunglasses.

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:40 PM
"Shoot! I do what I want! I call my mama a !@#$% I do what I want!"-Tom Soprano;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Puffin... do you have a job?!?! It seems like no matter what time of the day you are posting...:eek:

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Puffin... do you have a job?!?! It seems like no matter what time of the day you are posting...:eek: Summer! I work at the lab during the scool year...

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-25-2002, 04:48 PM
oh. o.k. :cool:

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Tinky is adorable!:D

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-25-2002, 04:51 PM
I KNOW!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-25-2002, 04:52 PM
and she is the sweetest most loveable cat in the whole wide world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:53 PM
and she is the sweetest most loveable cat in the whole wide world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Tinky has a slight competition...George! Hahaha!

Frostfrog
07-25-2002, 04:54 PM
I, Frostfrog, the duck in human disguise, have received a personal invitation to join this thread. While I am most flattered and do consider it an honor, and indeed see the potential to have a great deal of fun here, I must regretfully and respectfully decline. This is because I am a self-employed person. Like the rest of you, I am certain, when I first discovered the internet and then found my way into a forum or two, I was thrilled at the opportunity to reach out and converse with people from all over the globe; to discuss, compliment and argue with them (although Pet Talk is an exceptionally nice place and I would recommend that all arguments here be of the most gentle kind).

But, I soon found that it took time... too, too, much time and time is something that I, a person who puts in long hard days and who often spends more time traveling than at home, have too little of. Even without spending my time on forums and chats, I frequently find myself missing entire periods of sleep as I hammer my way through one deadline after another.

And yet, it is still good to now and then reach out and connect with an unseen stranger, so I decided I would not eliminate forums from my life all together, but I would limit myself to regular participation in just one and no more.

Now, the fact of the matter is, as anyone who has read my posts on Cat of the Day ought to know, I consider the cats that reside in this house with me and my family to be among the best friends that I have ever had. While I hate to single one cat out over the others, the fact is there is a certain little black cat here that shares this office with me and who in the darkness of winter sleeps upon my legs at night (but can not be expected to settle down during the light of summer nights) and he is an exceptional buddy, as was the black cat before him. We are linked at both the heart and soul.

So, holding a cat - and cats - so closely, I decided to make "Cat of the Day" the one forum I would participate in on a regular basis. I must hold to that resolution, for I have much to do and each minute that I spend writing in a forum is a minute lost to another task.

Therefore, I anticipate that this will be both my first and last post on the "eclectic" thread, as fun as it could be to romp and roll with the bunch of you.

That is what life is like when you are self-employed and not very well organized, either.

But thanks for the invitation and have fun.

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Frostfrog
I, Frostfrog, the duck in human disguise, have received a personal invitation to join this thread. While I am most flattered and do consider it an honor, and indeed see the potential to have a great deal of fun here, I must regretfully and respectfully decline. This is because I am a self-employed person. Like the rest of you, I am certain, when I first discovered the internet and then found my way into a forum or two, I was thrilled at the opportunity to reach out and converse with people from all over the globe; to discuss, compliment and argue with them (although Pet Talk is an exceptionally nice place and I would recommend that all arguments here be of the most gentle kind).

But, I soon found that it took time... too, too, much time and time is something that I, a person who puts in long hard days and who often spends more time traveling than at home, have too little of. Even without spending my time on forums and chats, I frequently find myself missing entire periods of sleep as I hammer my way through one deadline after another.

And yet, it is still good to now and then reach out and connect with an unseen stranger, so I decided I would not eliminate forums from my life all together, but I would limit myself to regular participation in just one and no more.

Now, the fact of the matter is, as anyone who has read my posts on Cat of the Day ought to know, I consider the cats that reside in this house with me and my family to be among the best friends that I have ever had. While I hate to single one cat out over the others, the fact is there is a certain little black cat here that shares this office with me and who in the darkness of winter sleeps upon my legs at night (but can not be expected to settle down during the light of summer nights) and he is an exceptional buddy, as was the black cat before him. We are linked at both the heart and soul.

So, holding a cat - and cats - so closely, I decided to make "Cat of the Day" the one forum I would participate in on a regular basis. I must hold to that resolution, for I have much to do and each minute that I spend writing in a forum is a minute lost to another task.

Therefore, I anticipate that this will be both my first and last post on the "eclectic" thread, as fun as it could be to romp and roll with the bunch of you.

That is what life is like when you are self-employed and not very well organized, either.

But thanks for the invitation and have fun. I am Sorry duck. Thank you, kindly... -Beelzebub

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Well, mugsy, kohala, we are alone. Argh! What am I\\]George!:D
<continued>going to do? Hmm...:confused: Time o copy&paste, maybe try a few pictures.

mugsy
07-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Are you feeling left out there Puff?? Don't worry, if anyone wants to read the thread they will and if they don't they won't...simple as that. However, the feud between you and pop has soured a lot of people. I've said my peace on that one and both of you know where I stand, so 'nuff said.

So what eclectic subject should we go to next?? Hmmmm....

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi Puffin!

We are waiting to see pictures of your cute little kitty! When will you post your kitten's pictures? I bet he's adorable! :D I've almost got the scanner working, almost!!!~~~Maybe about at most two days...I've taken twenty seven pictures of him...up close, leaping off of tables, on his lanky haunches looking soo CUTE! Resting in his favorite spot, on top of the futon!:D

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:21 PM
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/puffin/icons/puf1.gif

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:29 PM
http://baddeck.com/puffin/mainalt.jpg

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:34 PM
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/puffin/icons/puffin.jpg

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:37 PM
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/puffin/icons/puffin.jpg My my, I am SOO handsome! I'm normally a vegetarian, but when food is scarce, I go to the extremes.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:41 PM
LOL! Now we have a "real" puffin here! LOL!!! :D :D Hey, I've always been a real puffin, or since I went to San Francisco about a month ago.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 05:44 PM

Oh, I see. So what were you before you went to San Francisco? :confused: Embryo of god.

koxka
07-26-2002, 06:56 PM
http://www.beautiful-england.co.uk/puffins/flypuffin.jpg

Koxka:cool:

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 07:19 PM
This is apicture of me in my human form:http://www.1stopjimihendrix.com/jimifunkycoat.jpg

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 07:21 PM

I try to be nice but you want to start an argument. :rolleyes: Oh well, I'll just go on ignoring. "Sigh" Sorry, it was a joke.:)

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 07:27 PM
This is a pic of a not so friendly bear who has a taste for my garbage...http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com/images/img57.gif

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 07:32 PM
This is some cat I found on the web named Einstein:http://www.liangs.com/einstein/images/standing.jpg

mugsy
07-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Pop, that's Jimi Hendrix's picture.

Puff, are you bored tonight or what?? Funny pictures. A pet puffin eh?? Interesting idea.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Pop, that's Jimi Hendrix's picture.

Puff, are you bored tonight or what?? Funny pictures. A pet puffin eh?? Interesting idea. I cpoied and pasted these pics...I will use my scanner when it works and learn the HTML code tommorow maybe..You must see them! George is very cute1

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Shh...Mugsy! You know...She doesn't know that...

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 09:49 PM
www.lego.com/adventures.comic.jpg

mugsy
07-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Well Puff....she knows now!! lol

Hurry up the the pictures already! lol

Frostfrog
07-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Oh, what the h... I will join you, but sparingly. I will begin with a brief description of my setting. I am at a desk facing two computers, a 1999 Macintosh G333 tower with a 19 inch monitor and also a brand new Titanium Powerbook. Various other pieces of equipment also sit on that desk, ranging from an Imacon film scanner to a LaCie CD burner. A number of minature airplanes are scattered about on the desk and equipment, as well as ceramic and stone cats and a penguin, most being gifts from my daughters, but a couple of my own purchase.

Elsewhere in the room there are file cabinets, heavily laden bookshelves and work tables, and everywhere there are little airplanes, the two most prominent of which hang from my wall and were made by my brother prior to the motorcycle accident that paralyzed and ultimately killed him. A large map of Alaska dominates one wall.

Two electric trains are running. One, HO scale, is pulled by two Alaska Railroad engines and the track that it follows runs around the entire office, eight feet above the floor on the narrow edge of a 2x4 roadbed. There are two propellars perched against one wall, one that was bent in a minor accident that did no other damage to the airplane, and the other that came out of a crash unscathed, although the airplane was done in. The other is N scale and it has taken over a work table.

There are some family photos here and there, and a calendar featuring cows, but the most prominent photo is a portrait of a black cat, hung on the side of a filing cabinet that sits just to my right. That cat is no longer with me, and not a day passes that I do not feel pain about that.

Most importantly, at this very moment, sitting atop the monitor, is another black cat. Currently, he sits with his back to me, looking thoughtfully towards the window. Just a bit ago, his tail hung down in front of the screen, in front of the very words that I have been typing here, but now it is pulled up and is curled around the right side of his legs.

He is not a replacement for the first black cat. I did not seek him out and after I became aware of him, I tried to ignore him, to leave him to whatever fate awaited him, but I could not. So he now sits atop my monitor and he is my friend.

Ouups! the tail just came down and is hanging in front of these words again... no, no, wait... the black cat has arisen and is stepping into the window sill. He is now on the other side of the curtain, but the sun is shining directly on him and I see him in silhouette.

Now, really, I must get back to work.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Oh, what the h... I will join you, but sparingly. I will begin with a brief description of my setting. I am at a desk facing two computers, a 1999 Macintosh G333 tower with a 19 inch monitor and also a brand new Titanium Powerbook. Various other pieces of equipment also sit on that desk, ranging from an Imacon film scanner to a LaCie CD burner. A number of minature airplanes are scattered about on the desk and equipment, as well as ceramic and stone cats and a penguin, most being gifts from my daughters, but a couple of my own purchase.

Elsewhere in the room there are file cabinets, heavily laden bookshelves and work tables, and everywhere there are little airplanes, the two most prominent of which hang from my wall and were made by my brother prior to the motorcycle accident that paralyzed and ultimately killed him. A large map of Alaska dominates one wall.

Two electric trains are running. One, HO scale, is pulled by two Alaska Railroad engines and the track that it follows runs around the entire office, eight feet above the floor on the narrow edge of a 2x4 roadbed. There are two propellars perched against one wall, one that was bent in a minor accident that did no other damage to the airplane, and the other that came out of a crash unscathed, although the airplane was done in. The other is N scale and it has taken over a work table.

There are some family photos here and there, and a calendar featuring cows, but the most prominent photo is a portrait of a black cat, hung on the side of a filing cabinet that sits just to my right. That cat is no longer with me, and not a day passes that I do not feel pain about that.

Most importantly, at this very moment, sitting atop the monitor, is another black cat. Currently, he sits with his back to me, looking thoughtfully towards the window. Just a bit ago, his tail hung down in front of the screen, in front of the very words that I have been typing here, but now it is pulled up and is curled around the right side of his legs.

He is not a replacement for the first black cat. I did not seek him out and after I became aware of him, I tried to ignore him, to leave him to whatever fate awaited him, but I could not. So he now sits atop my monitor and he is my friend.

Ouups! the tail just came down and is hanging in front of these words again... no, no, wait... the black cat has arisen is stepping into the window sill. He is now on the other side of the curtain, but the sun is shining directly on him and I see him in silhouette.

Now, really, I must get back to work. What a poet...ahh...:D

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Frostyfrog, you are awesome...We must get back on topic. Well, George is lying comfortably on a chair next to the computer. My house is twenty years old in a rural setting next to Blue Spring State Park/Forest. To the left at the top of the road, there is a road going over the railroad track with forest on either side going for miles and miles and miles...Until you get to one of the 3 big cities. Most of it, like Sanford, is a country town and is always wary of black bear sightings...To the right you go to a little town of Deland, with shops and resturants, okay I guess. A few book shops, a store called Merlins Vision...very charming, but I really wish I were is San Francisco...Florida is known to be the home of rednecks and dummies, well that true to some extent...:rolleyes: :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-26-2002, 10:53 PM
WOW FROSTFROG!!! You speak so relaxing!! Just reading your post got rid of my headache!:)

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 10:54 PM
My old little hose is well, old, but has a hallway, one bathroom, a mini bathroom, a living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom. I live alone. The backyard is overgrown and is frequented by stray cats, or are they bobcats? I can't tell...Then there is a FOREST BEHIND THE WOODEN FENCE! Darn it caps lock.

kohala
07-26-2002, 10:54 PM
With a Puffin trap, no less!!!! Now back to work, Frostfrog - We understand you are busy. Skritch that nameless and mysterioooous black cat (with many toes) under the chin for us!! And we send our condolences to your heart on your bittersweet memories of the cat that has gone before. Thank you so much for stopping in!! God, you are such an artist with words. One of my favorite mediums, I might add!! Now THERE's an eclectic topic, Mugs -----? The artistry is in the abilty to use words in such a way that they let the reader's mind develop an image as clearly as if (s)he were thinking the thoughts her/himself.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Hmm...You are quite a poet indeed. I'm amazed!~~~GET YOUR BRILLIANCE OUT, DUCK!

mugsy
07-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Unless of course you're from Key West Puff! lol

FF...where are you located in AK?? That is my dream place. My aunt used to live in Anchorage, but moved to Idaho because of health reasons.

I'm truly sorry to hear of your brother and black cat. You will always have them in your heart.

Our dogs are spread out all over the house and someone just got yelled at by Mike because they chewed up his kneepads that we bought to put down the hardwood floor that we bought at auction. George and Jessie are lying on the floor behind me and DeeDee is on Mike's computer chair...who knows where everyone else is, but my guess is that Jazzy is on the bed and Max, Daisy, and Sammy are on the couch.

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 10:59 PM
yOYOYO...pA(R)TY IN DA HOUSE YEAH MAN TOTAL;Y DUDE....I'm scaring myself. I guess I am meant to be a scientist, gosh darn it.

mugsy
07-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Works for me kohala!!

And everyone is right FF...your words flow so peacefully...I can just about picture the room. I do apologize if I'm being redundant here, but are you a writer by trade??

mugsy
07-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Hey Puff...don't quit your day job there dude!! lol

kohala
07-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Puffin, that was a great description of where you live - I can SEE it!! Being in California, it is tradition to knock things Floridian, but remember - Florida gave us one of my favorite poets : Jimmy Buffett! Ever read any of his books? They're hilarious!!
Idaho, Mugs? Wow,man! That's where Dadcat's folks sent him as a kid and where he claims as his true home! It's where we hope to go when I retire. Northern Idaho, near the Pond Oreille (if I spelled it right!!) In case Frostfrog is busy now, he is a writer; I PM'd him and he's a delightful correspondant!!
I am picturing what must be a fabulous home with beautiful furbodies draped all over!!!

mugsy
07-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Pop, Puff is in Florida, not Caly...he visited there last month.

Kohala, I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the town my aunt lived in in Idaho, but I've seen pictures and it's gorgeous. Mike and I are planning on moving to Northern Wisconsin...gee that's something else we have in common...we prefer north to south!! And thanks for the update on FF...he must do well for himself, because he sure is good!! Actually, if I had a dream place to live it would be Alaska. Jimmy Buffett eh?? hmmm....that explains a lot!! lol j/k. I didn't know he'd written a book...what's the title??

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 06:57 AM
Alright...in a few hours they should be posted, the pictures, that is. And for the state of Idaho...I imagine that as one of the countries wildest states, is it? Oh yeah, Floridas a real dump in some places, most it is of natural beauty, but its not what I'm looking for.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 07:04 AM

I think he lives in San Francisco and is just joking around. After all, aren't puffins the best jokers? ;) Don't stereotype us. We know how to peck.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 07:11 AM
Puffin, that was a great description of where you live - I can SEE it!! Being in California, it is tradition to knock things Floridian, but remember - Florida gave us one of my favorite poets : Jimmy Buffett! Ever read any of his books? They're hilarious!!
Idaho, Mugs? Wow,man! That's where Dadcat's folks sent him as a kid and where he claims as his true home! It's where we hope to go when I retire. Northern Idaho, near the Pond Oreille (if I spelled it right!!) In case Frostfrog is busy now, he is a writer; I PM'd him and he's a delightful correspondant!!
I am picturing what must be a fabulous home with beautiful furbodies draped all over!!! Kohala, you are so puffin like. Don't get a puffed head, it took me a box of Puffins Cereal and a pschotherapist dumping them over my head to get puff-tized! Good luck, you truly have the life force of a TUFTED PUFFIN!

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Pop, Puff is in Florida, not Caly...he visited there last month.

Kohala, I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the town my aunt lived in in Idaho, but I've seen pictures and it's gorgeous. Mike and I are planning on moving to Northern Wisconsin...gee that's something else we have in common...we prefer north to south!! And thanks for the update on FF...he must do well for himself, because he sure is good!! Actually, if I had a dream place to live it would be Alaska. Jimmy Buffett eh?? hmmm....that explains a lot!! lol j/k. I didn't know he'd written a book...what's the title?? The title? I think it was The complete and unabridged sexist play, Taming of the Shrew, according to meHahaha...~~~

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 07:17 AM
My shifts donne for this morning, I'll be back later because there is no Kohala and no mugsy, as well as a disappointig lack of Frosty frogs, er...The Duck

Frostfrog
07-27-2002, 02:32 PM
First - thanks all for the kind welcoming comments. In answer to your questions, I live in Southcentral Alaska, one hour by car north of Anchorage, but the entire state is my stomping grounds. Mugsy, Alaska was my dream home up until 21 years ago this month, when I pulled up stakes and made it my real home. Once I arrived here, I realized that Alaska had always been my home, it was just that I had been living away from home.

The question as to whether or not I am a writer is a good one, indeed. Time will provide the answer. I would like to be, but I find myself so busy with projects that demand I write that I do not have time to write. With the help of the cats who live here and of other cats all around the world, I hope this will one day change.

Sometimes, when the stress overwhelms me, I put on a certain album on the CD player, turn the volumn on loud, then several chords blast out, followed quickly by a high pitched, trembling riff and then a raspy voice consoles... "There must be some kind of way out of here..." for I too am a fan of the Hendrix, even as I am of Mozart, who I see has been reincarnated as Cat of the Day.

I enjoyed the description of your home, Puff. I was in Florida in April. Had I have known about you and George - if, indeed, you and George were together then - I would have looked you up and immortalized you, although I could not have added even one minute to your lives.

As noted, I will post sparingly, if not shortly. That is the best I can do.

The black cat is curled up on my shoulder, nudging my nose with his nose, forcing me to raise my elbow in order to enlarge his platform of support, forcing me to type with my right hand only. He is wonderful, this little character whose name is Jim - Jim Slim Many Toes.

"And the wind cries, 'Mary!'" I am not a poet, but Jimmie is.

mugsy
07-27-2002, 02:49 PM
I thought that was the Wind They Call Mariah?? lol

Uh Oh another Hendrix fan...I'm afraid!

Well, maybe when we can afford to move up there, we will get it done...I would love it. One of the teachers in my building also wants to move up there.

Thanks for the post and keep them coming when you get a chance. I really look forward to them. Good luck with the cats...I kind of feel like that with the dogs.

sammi
07-27-2002, 03:39 PM
For Puffin83

Did I miss the thread where you talked about your kitty?? You can post a picture later.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 03:56 PM
First - thanks all for the kind welcoming comments. In answer to your questions, I live in Southcentral Alaska, one hour by car north of Anchorage, but the entire state is my stomping grounds. Mugsy, Alaska was my dream home up until 21 years ago this month, when I pulled up stakes and made it my real home. Once I arrived here, I realized that Alaska had always been my home, it was just that I had been living away from home.

The question as to whether or not I am a writer is a good one, indeed. Time will provide the answer. I would like to be, but I find myself so busy with projects that demand I write that I do not have time to write. With the help of the cats who live here and of other cats all around the world, I hope this will one day change.

Sometimes, when the stress overwhelms me, I put on a certain album on the CD player, turn the volumn on loud, then several chords blast out, followed quickly by a high pitched, trembling riff and then a raspy voice consoles... "There must be some kind of way out of here..." for I too am a fan of the Hendrix, even as I am of Mozart, who I see has been reincarnated as Cat of the Day.

I enjoyed the description of your home, Puff. I was in Florida in April. Had I have known about you and George - if, indeed, you and George were together then - I would have looked you up and immortalized you, although I could not have added even one minute to your lives.

As noted, I will post sparingly, if not shortly. That is the best I can do.

The black cat is curled up on my shoulder, nudging my nose with his nose, forcing me to raise my elbow in order to enlarge his platform of support, forcing me to type with my right hand only. He is wonderful, this little character whose name is Jim - Jim Slim Many Toes.

"And the wind cries, 'Mary!'" I am not a poet, but Jimmie is. Oh, Jimis version of "All along the Watchtower" is stellar. He was a brilliant electric guitar player, I have a Stratocaster, like the one in the signature picture. He died young at 27...

mugsy
07-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Yes he did die young, but by his own choice....remember it was drug related. Just like so many other music stars of the 60s...Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin,....etc, etc, etc.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but he was brilliant!~~~

mugsy
07-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Brilliance is a relative term here...he was brilliant on a guitar, but I'm not so sure how brilliant he was in making choices.

Don't get me wrong..I like some of his work. I thought his National Anthem was in extremely poor taste though.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 09:11 PM
Me too, I guess ye are right, elder!~~~DARN IT! j/k!

Frostfrog
07-27-2002, 11:16 PM
Darn it! Now I reminded of why I resolved to limit my forum participation to Cat of the Day. On COTD, I can make one brief statement that needs no followup and with little risk of offending anyone. Now, I am on this forum and the topic has become not cats but Jimi Hendrix and I can either ignore what has been posted or say what I think and risk offending someone. Well, it is not my intent to offend anyone and I hope I do not, but I am here, the topic is Jimi Hendrix and I disagree with some of what has been said, so I will say my piece.

Let me preface my comments by noting that I do not use drugs, tobacco or alcohol, although at times I certainly have. I am a loyal American, am proud to fly the flag and I have no doubt but what I would die for this country.

Above, I referred to both Hendrix and Mozart in the same paragraph. In my opinion, of all the composers lumped in the broad category "classic," three stand out far above all the rest: Bach, Mozart and Beehtoven. Some like to include Brahams in there, but, personally, I do not believe he rises to the same level. And of those three, I think Mozart had the greater gift. Yet, like Hendrix, he too made some choices that one could say were not so wise and this ultimately contributed to his early death. Yet his music has been rightfully described as divine, as though Mozart were merely a conduit between the celestial realm and earth. It is appropriate to play Mozart at even the most solemn of church services, yet Mozart did not lead a holy life.

But he had a gift, and so did Jimi Hendrix, and both had vices that killed them but this does not diminish the music of either.

Now, as to Hendrix's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner: many people have tried to pin their own interpretation on his playing of that piece, though Hendrix himself never elaborated anywhere other than on the guitar, although he did describe the anthem as "beautiful" and in so many words said that because it was beautiful and because he was American, he had to play it and he played it in the way the way that he played in the time that he played. And when he played it, I believe, he rose to the very highest level of guitar mastery of his entire career and if anyone has ever risen higher, I have not recognized it.

He played in a way that some failed to grasp, and many still can not. But I grasp it, and to me, Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner is the most beautiful and moving that I have ever heard. It brings tears to my eyes, it is so beautiful. There is no disrespect in it. It is American, 100 percent and when I hear it, I am both glad and proud to be an American. Only America could have produced that beautiful, rugged, fragile treasure known as Jimi Hendrix.

Listen to it again, and listen carefully, without prejudice.

There. I have said my piece on this subject and I will leave the matter behind. Perhaps I should retreat once again, and stick just to Cat of the Day.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 11:25 PM
I agree about the Star Spangled banner, but I tried not to get in an argument with mugsy...

Aspen and Misty
07-27-2002, 11:28 PM
I also would have to agree that the Star spangled banner is a very beautiful and moveing piece.

Puffin83
07-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Lets give a big, wonderful Woohoo for Hendrix! [Outside in the cold distance...the princess kept the view]

kohala
07-28-2002, 12:07 AM
We sometimes tend to favor the traditonal. To listen to Hendrix's version you need to clear your mind and just listen to the exquisite guitar work. There is a depth of feeling when he played it that is rarely duplicated. Many people have emoted through it ad nauseum, but his rendition is truly a musical offering of the heart. Give it another listen sometime, Mugs! You may not care for the style, and that's OK; you may prefer traditional, and that's totally OK, too; I have always loved an eclectic (ha - there's that dang word agin!) variety of guitar styles, and likewise disliked some pieces that others like. It's all taste, and thank God for variety!!!!! Love you all!!
Grasshopper sez - meow

mugsy
07-28-2002, 12:21 AM
First, FF, you did not offend me in any way shape or form. You are giving your opinion and that's kind of what this thread is about. Please don't retreat...I so enjoy reading what you write, you truly have a special gift.

As for Hendrix's version of the National Anthem, like kohala said, I guess I just favor the traditional when it comes to that. But, that's just a personal choice there. What makes this country great is that people are free to express their opinions and imagination without fear of retribution. Whatever makes your heart soar with patriotic pride is what you should identify with, not what everyone else does. The traditional is what does it for me...the same reason that I enjoy my Catholicism...tradition...just like Topol said in "Fiddler On the Roof."

FF...I truly admire you for standing up and saying that you would go and fight for this country...it's becoming a nasty thing to want to do that...this country has become very selfish also. I will say though that 9/11 truly woke most of us up.

I really enjoy this stuff...it makes my mind work and I love that.

Frostfrog
07-28-2002, 01:50 AM
Thank you, Mugsy - and HOORAY, HOORAY, HOORAY for the miners and rescuers of Somerset County!

sottice
07-29-2002, 12:54 AM
Don't know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to figure it out!

http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=showphoto&AlbumID=135037&ImageID=226039

http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=showphoto&AlbumID=135037

wow!!

My critters (http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=showphoto&AlbumID=135037&ImageID=226039)

aly
07-29-2002, 03:05 AM
Use imagestation.com instead of photogra.com :)

Photogra won't link the pics anymore.

purrley
07-29-2002, 09:24 AM
What in the devil does all this stuff have to do with Pet Talk??? What ever happened to Beyond Pet Talk???? Surely that would be the place for all this conversation. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't belong in this Forum.

Karen
07-29-2002, 10:12 AM
Beyond Pet Talk was an MSN group that died, and was subsequently removed from MSN by the person who created it, and who had left Pet Talk.

But that doesn't mean people couldn't create another one if they wanted ...

sottice
07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but several people seem to be getting upset lately. For the ones that don't enjoy reading certain threads, why don't you just ignore them and read the ones you do enjoy??? That's what I do. :)