PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use The U-scan Checkouts?

lizbud
07-22-2007, 09:59 AM
They are appearing everywhere now. It sure saves time at the checkout
lanes at the grocery. Do you like & use them?

Freckles
07-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I use them at every opportunity.

sparks19
07-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I use them everywhere EXCEPT for Walmart lol. I HATE the Walmart ones. But everywhere else we always use them. I scan and Brian bags and we are out of there.

Karen
07-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I only use them when I am getting items with barcodes, as I have had trouble with deli items, etc. being "rejected" and that holds up everyone behind me in line.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, I really like them at the grocery store, they save time and there are a lot of them available. I can be in & out of the store with dinner in less then 5 minutes. :)

sirrahbed
07-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I *love* the concept, but I have done something wrong and had to let the cashier rescue me so many times that I avoid the U-Scan ....the reader refuses my barscan.....the voice tells me "put the item in the bag" after I already have....it seems like I always have the cashier coming to help me :o

If I am getting only a very few items and the store is not crowded, I make myself use it because I really do love the concept and occasionally I have gone through so fast and am impressed......

but it is funny, when I am done shopping I have to walk by the U-Scan and I always have to kinda look sideways at it because it has become like a lion laughing at me. Depending on my mood, sometimes I use it and try to slay that monster!! ;)

U-Scan and I are having a love/hate relationship.

petslover
07-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't really use them that often. I rather the cashier ring me up. I hope it doesn't cut out jobs in the future.

pitc9
07-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't really use them that often. I rather the cashier ring me up. I hope it doesn't cut out jobs in the future.

That's the reason my husband doesn't use them.

I'll use them if I only have a few items and the other lines are long.

Pam
07-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I have had trouble with deli items, etc. being "rejected" and that holds up everyone behind me in line.

I only use them when I have a few very easily scanned items (no produce, etc.) and have cash. I usually pay by check for my weekly shopping and so I imagine I would still need a human to approve my check. Also, how can you go through there with produce when you are charged by weight, etc.? Good thread Liz.

Freckles
07-22-2007, 12:35 PM
All produce has a different code number. Apples, for example, have a small sticker on each one. You enter that, put bag on the scales, and your cost is listed.

kuhio98
07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't really use them that often. I rather the cashier ring me up. I hope it doesn't cut out jobs in the future.Same here. I'd rather keep folks employed.

But, when ATM's were first made available, I figured that most bank tellers would be unemployed. Doesn't look like that's happened.

Jessika
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I only use them when I am getting items with barcodes, as I have had trouble with deli items, etc. being "rejected" and that holds up everyone behind me in line.
Yeah, same. It's convenient if the item has a barcode so you can just scan it and go, but if there isn't a barcode then you hold up a line and especially at walmart it takes forever for someone to notice and come to help you... :(

But yeah, I use them if I don't have a million things to buy

Cinder & Smoke
07-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I use the U-Scan lanes - 'cause if you play the Woe-is-Me look just right,
the U-Scan "tender girl" almost always trotts over to "help" any male shoppers that aren't accopmanied by a female - we must have a reputation for "screwing it up".

Look "confused" :confused: for 2 seconds, and she's THERE!
And if you really don't need help punching buttons or tossin fruit, she starts
doing the Bag Lady thing at the end of the conveyor ... by the time I've paid,
she's got the order Bagged and back in the buggy!

Home Depot is the same way - the "Floater Girl" scans the approaching crowd for "Olde Pharts" who look "modern stuff challenged" and then loiter close by. :rolleyes:

Last time I Home Depot'd I only had a couple small items and I *beeped* & *booped*
through the little "express line" quick as a flash. She dashed up all breathless and
blurted out "Here, SIR, let me help you!"
"With WHAT" I asked?
"I'll be glad to help you check out, SIR."

"Sorry, but I'm *DONE*! ... Wanna see my slip?"
She looked *crushed* ... Sorry I ruined her evening. :p

crow_noir
07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
S.O. prefers them and uses them most of the time when we have a small number of items.

I on the other hand prefer the human interaction during the transaction. (Not to mention that I'm a Georger :p Albite a non-frequent one for the past two years.) If i wanted to use a machine, etc I'd just order online.

They are appearing everywhere now. It sure saves time at the checkout
lanes at the grocery. Do you like & use them?

Logan
07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I love to scan my own groceries when I only have a few things. Our Bloom grocery store (an upscale Food Lion) has the little units you can get when you come in, scan and bag, as you go. I find it takes me more time than standing in line! But I do like to put my grocery list in online, so I can print it off when I get to the store and it is printed out, neatly, and in order by aisle. Love being able to identify and tag my produce. Saves a lot of time.

Logan

Pam
07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
All produce has a different code number. Apples, for example, have a small sticker on each one. You enter that, put bag on the scales, and your cost is listed.

Never noticed the scale. :o :o

RICHARD
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
"Sorry, but I'm *DONE*! ... Wanna see my slip?"
She looked *crushed* ... Sorry I ruined her evening. :p

The last place in the U.S. where you get customer service. :eek:

--------------

At Home Depot they are a blessing.

You are guaranteed that no one will hold up the line asking the cashier for Home Improvement tips! :D

sasvermont
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I have used them, but geeze, I am not lucky. I am the one who has the buzzer go off and that dumb look on my face. I try, but often run in to a problem. They should use me as the test customer. I think children would be better at it than yours truly.

So, yes, I use them, but seldom, in the scheme of things. :eek:

Craftlady
07-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Like them and use them quite often.

k9krazee
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Like Karen and others, if I have things with barcodes I will use the U-scan but I'd rather not hassle with any produce or anything.

Never noticed the scale. :o :o

Pam, usually you just set the item down where you'd swipe the barcode -- the scale is built in there.

Freedom
07-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I tried them a few times in various stores, then gave up and avoid them like the plague. They do NOT work, in my opnion.

"Put item in bag." I already did. So I take it out and put it in again.
"Unknown item in bagging area." It isn't unknown, you just scanned it!
"Please wait for attendant." Who? Where? When is this attendant going to materialize? I thought this was a quick check out procedure.

After ages and ages, attendant arrives.
"I'll have to void you out and you can start again." Uh, but I already did all but the last item.

Coupons? "Oh, we don't take them at this line If you have coupons, you are really supposed to go to a cashier line. I can send you to customer service with your receipt and they will give you a refund for the coupons. You need to pull out the items so they can see them."

Marked down baked goods? "Wow, I've never seen these before are they good?" I won't know until I get OUT of here and go home and try them!!!

UGH! No thanks. The technology just doesn't work.

moosmom
07-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, I do like them better. Alot faster than a human sometimes.

lizbud
07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I do use them if I only have a few things, but when I buy a week of stuff
at a time, I try to pick a cashier I know works fast & has a bagger packing
every thing as we go. :)

Cinder & Smoke
07-22-2007, 07:08 PM
This sounds familiar! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

"Put item in bag." I already did. So I take it out and put it in again.
"Unknown item in bagging area." It isn't unknown, you just scanned it!
"Please wait for attendant."

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

I managed to awaken the U-Scan "TILT" feature a week or so ago at the Big Burd (aka Giant Eagle).
I'd done the easy stuff without hardship or grief ... now for the "produce".

I matched up the right T'Mater pix with my numbered bag of T'Maters ...
"Place your Tee-Materz ON the Scale!" demanded Robo-Clerk.
<plop> and the 'Materz were on the scale.
"Please REmove your Tee-Materz and Place them ON the Conveyor!" said Robo-Clerk.
<zipp> - <plop> - <WHOOSH> and the 'Maters were on the way to http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
... The conveyor came to a <screeching halt> ... then <Reverse WHOOSH>
and the 'Maters were back within reach; and the world <stopped>!

* The steady yellow "in use" light shifted to the Flashing RED DUMMIE ALERT!
* The Robo-Clerk started spewing out commands and demands faster than I could listen:
* I tried to follow along ... <grab> the 'materz back
* RE-weigh them on the scale
* Put 'em back on the conveyor (now running in the corrrect direction)
* It was Happie ... I reached for my Bee-Nannerz ...
* Houston, we have a problem ... <screech> <Reverse WHOOSH> and my 'maters returned ...
* More *hollerin* by Robo-Clerk ... "PLEASE, WAIT for Assistance!"
* Followed by THREE piercing **BEEPS** they heard out in the parking lot!

Lil Miss FixZit came on the run ... "Are we having a PROBLEM, Sir?"
No, "WE're" not, but you dumm Robot is havin a nerbus breakdown!

She brandished her FixZit ID card - 1 Long & 2 Short *BEEPS* ...
She punched in about 50 digits - her SSN, Mom's maiden name, Dog's birthday date ...
2 Longs & 3 Short *BEEPS* = she had command ...

She keyed in a cancel on the 'maters; and ran through the re-weigh routine.
<Zooom> and the 'maters took off ... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif <screech> - <RE-Verse>
The poor 'maters were going to get conveyor sickness.
The Robot was getting *mouthy* again!
She was http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif ... <mumble> <mumble> ... "HEY - are these YOUR cards, SIR?"

She didn't wait for the obvious "Yes" answer - just picked up my Store ID and credit cards
and handed them to me ... "You CAN'T put these on the scale surface, SIR!
The System weighed your cards with the 'maters; then didn't detect everything being
taken OFF the scale. It's pretty sensitive.
Lemmie do the 'nanners, whilst I'm here!"
She made a <smug smirk>

I fumbled through the CC payment routine ... and she had everything Bagged
and in my buggy before I was done.

I dedected <sighs> and <mumbling> from the assembled multitudes behind me.
FixZit Girl gave a friendly <wave> as I wheeled off towards the exit.

I'll send the Dawgs in with a shopping list next time.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catnapper
07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I always end up needing the bored looking attendant to come and help me. For some reason I end up having the computer yelling at me that I've placed an unauthorized item in the bag. :rolleyes:

Denyce
07-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Frankly I think that since we are saving them the salary of at least 3 checkers(I am figuring on 4 U-scan lanes at the store) then those that use them should get a discount on their groceries. It is only fair. :cool: :D

Karen
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I actually don't mind dealing with human cashiers, have become friends with several. But our supemarkets always have "help wanted" signs out, and often just not enough cashiers, and one "Self-Check" attendant can watch four registers ... still I usually have something that causes the belt in the self-check to reverse direction and bring it back to me, so I will usually wait in line for the humans.

Lady's Human
07-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Just remember.......

For every cashier who replaced by an automated scanner, you need an attendant for the self-checkout aisles, and a technician for the equipment.

The stores ARE saving money (one person can monitor 2 or three self checkout lanes) but are still hiring people to maintain the equipment.

Marigold2
07-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I really like them. I have had cashiers with colds coughing all over my food. Disgusting.

crow_noir
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
OMG, i was already chuckling by this point, but i read this line and i was nearly PIMP. (And i JUST got back from using the potty!)

Poor 'maters!

The poor 'maters were going to get conveyor sickness.

inlovewithanimals
07-23-2007, 09:50 AM
me and my parents do not use them because that is taking someones job for no reason can you imagin if everything was done by computer and technolegy? what would you do for money?????

Justin,

mruffruff
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I use them as often as I can when I go to Wal-Mart. I can stand in line for over 35 minutes to get to a cashier, or do it myself in 10. I fumble a little when it gets to produce, but I try not to get rattled. I always pay with a debit card, but I'm always six messages ahead of the dumb machine. In and out, total shopping trip in less than an hour!

Lady's Human
07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Again, to those worried about taking someone's job by using the self-scanners....

Someone has to maintain the beasties, which pays more than being a cashier, and someone still has to monitor them.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I *love* the concept, but I have done something wrong and had to let the cashier rescue me so many times that I avoid the U-Scan ....the reader refuses my barscan.....the voice tells me "put the item in the bag" after I already have....it seems like I always have the cashier coming to help me :o
That happened to me the one and only time I've used the self checkout, and it turned me off to it.

We must be behind here, I've only seen a couple stores with the self checkout- I think both our Home Depot and Lowes have them. I've never seen one in a grocery store.

sparks19
07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
I LOVE the one at Weis Markets....

YOu scan the item and put it on the belt and it goes to the bagging section. very few times have I ever had an item returned to me saying "Please wait for an attendant" YOu scan it and put it on the belt. We buy a weeks worth of groceries and check ourselves out in a matter of minutes.

The ones at walmart where you have to bag it and wait ten seconds before you can move the bag or scan the next item drive me crazy. I just want to scan the item and toss it on the belt and move on to the next item lol.

Lady's Human, you are totally right. Everyone says it takes away jobs but they always have people on staff to do the bagging at the self checkouts (at least at the stores around here) then they have an attendant or two to run around and help with the "Please see attendant" messages and THEN you need people to maintain them, change the paper, take out money, put in money for change, etc etc. Not to mention the increase in business it gives the company that actually FIXES the machines.... with more machines they need to hire MORE people. Plus, I find that 80% of the time... the cashier doesn't want to do their job anyway and winds up angering the customers and then they don't want to shop there anymore... THAT takes away jobs ;)

lizbud
07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Our grocery, Kroger, doesn't have a converyer belt at the u-scans.
You scan, then bag (yourself), then scan again,etc. there really is no space
there to store items after bagging. That's why I only use the u-scan when
I need to get a few things.

cassiesmom
07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
I use the one at the Jewel because, most of the time, I just have a few items so I can do it quickly. But the last time I was at Meijer I tried it, and the glass plate was all sticky (soap? shampoo? laundry liquid?). Yecch. At Meijer I go through the "person-line". But, I generally have a bigger order there anyway.

sparks19
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Our grocery, Kroger, doesn't have a converyer belt at the u-scans.
You scan, then bag (yourself), then scan again,etc. there really is no space
there to store items after bagging. That's why I only use the u-scan when
I need to get a few things.

That's what I really hate about the Walmart ones. Its such a pain in the rump.

sandragonfly
07-23-2007, 06:15 PM
yeah I do .. because it's fun!! :D

sometimes I don't when there are lines at scanners or I am lazy with tons of stuff. :p rarely do so often do.

luvofallhorses
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I have only used one once but I suppose they help if you're in a hurry. :)

Ginger's Mom
07-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Again, to those worried about taking someone's job by using the self-scanners....

Someone has to maintain the beasties, which pays more than being a cashier, and someone still has to monitor them.
Yes and no. It is not the same high school or college kids who would be running the registers who are maintaining the equipment. And even if they did have live cashiers they would still need someone to maintain the equipment those live cashiers are running instead of the equipment that the public run themselves. So it really is cutting out jobs.

Having said that, if I only have a few items (5 or less) I will use the self serve registers in the supermarket. When I do my bi-monthly shopping I want a cashier to check me out and help bag my items. If I am spending that much money in their store the least they can do is provide someone to help with the check out and bagging.

Lady's Human
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
It's more equipment to maintain. One maintenance person can only do so much. The more equipment there is to maintain, the more personnel needed to do the work, therefore they have to hire (or contract for) additional maintenance personnel. Those maintenance personnel are frequently paid far more than a cashier, and not much technical education is required to do the job. It's not uncommon to find college tech students doing on call maintenance or tech support service, as their hours allow them more of a flexible schedule.

So, where are the savings?

The Wal Mart in Norman, OK took out two regular registers, and put in 6 self serve scanning stations. They cut back to one express checkout lane. They still have 2 cashiers monitoring those self serve aisles, but they can serve many more customers. Fewer lines, more sales, happier customers.

Ginger's Mom
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Hmm...good point. They usually do put in more self serve aisles than full service aisles that they remove. I didn't think about that. However, I still maintain that it does take away some jobs from high school, college students, and some part time moms or seniors who are looking for some extra cash.

jackmilliesmom
07-24-2007, 04:51 AM
We have both those facilities here in Ireland in Tesco its U Scan in Superquinn its Scan and go and in Dunnes Stores its U scan I love them all and use them whenever possible. If I have things like apples, pastries etc which would not have bar codes on them each store has an alphabet on the UScan and I just use that - so I love them for that too so simple.

Saves time but everyone is now using them and its getting harder to get in and out of these places without them clogging up the lines...

anna_66
07-24-2007, 06:17 AM
I like them and use them whenever I can.

jackie
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
This is the first I have heard of these machines!!!!

I feel really old and outdated, but I guess that is island life.

I will post when the island gets one, but when they arrive there will probably be a huge line up of people wanting to use it.

The next town over, there was a huge party when they put a walk-way over the main road.

Donnaj4962
07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Great thread!

When I was little, when my Mom would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say, "a cash register".... meaning a cashier! :rolleyes: :eek: :D (I must have been sooooo adorable!)

Since I have never been PAID to do that job, I LOVE using the U-scans, and do so whenever I can. My local (read: closest) Wal-Mart doesn't have self scanners, so I always have to have a live person there. And it is new! Not even a year old. I think that was a bad decision to not have them installed, but then , who am I???!!!! :rolleyes: I always use them at Kroger and Meijer though, no matter how many items I am buying.