PDA

View Full Version : Dead Birdie :(

NoahsMommy
07-24-2002, 08:24 PM
:( :( :( :( :(
I am so sad!! :( We have a bird feeder outside the glass door on our balcony that we fill everyday (jeesh!) for the birds and for the cats to peek through the blinds to see them. Anyway, I was watering the plants yesterday and went to move on that is on wheels and there was a dead birdie!!! How do you think it died/got there? I am hoping and praying that a cat didn't get to it...I don't think a cat did because it was completely in tact. (My husband said it was really light when he picked it up.) Our cats are strictly indoor.

So, here is my question...do you think I am putting birds in danger by having the feeder up there? I'm not sure it was a cat... :confused:

Karen
07-24-2002, 08:28 PM
If the cats - your cats - are strictly inside, I don't think you are endangering the birds. The wee birdie may have just died of old age. A cat would have at least taken some of its "treasure" home to show off.

kohala
07-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Birds looooove to tease cats-under (or behind)-glass, so don't feel you are doing them a disservice. If it was very light, it may have died from the heat some time ago. They do die, sadly; you have a very gentle soul to be so moved. That's really lovely of you!!!

popcornbird
07-24-2002, 09:40 PM
Poor little birdie! :( My cousin had a cat and one day I went out with her to my other cousin's house. When we came back we found her cat in the backyard holding a bucket down over something so we couldn't see what it was. We pushed her aside and picled up the bucket to see what she was hiding from us. In it was a poor little birdie that the cat killed! :( When my cousin's cat saw that we were angry with her, she put her head down and looked as if she were going to cry, as if she was saying "Sorry! I didn't mean to do it! Satan made me!! :(!" Poor kitty too, but we told her she's a bad kitty and didn't talk to her for a whole day. The next day we couldn't resist her sadness and gave her a hug and told her we forgave her.....but if she did it again, she would be in big trouble! She was sooooooooooo happy after that. She also got the bird when it came to the bird feeder, and she didn't break it or eat any part of it. It was the whole bird, just dead from the cat's whack or something! We almost cried when we saw it! Poor thing! I think it is endangering the birds to have a bird feeder when there are cats at home, but if they are always inside, I don't think yur cat could have done it! :(

Logan
07-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Well, it is obvious your cat had nothing to do with it. And all creatures die of something, eventually, even though it is so sad when they do. :( One thing I miss out on here, by having Retrievers and indoor/outdoor cats is feeding the wild birds. I have feeders, bluebird houses and bird baths that I simply cannot bring myself to use because I know I would be asking for trouble. Honey (the Golden Retriever) has been known to catch a bird in flight in the backyard. She doesn't kill them intentionally, but using her Retriever skills, she "mouths" them, and using her "keep away" skills, she won't let me get close enough to her to take them away. Thank goodness it has been over a year since the last time I witnessed her doing this.

krazyaboutkatz
07-24-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm so sorry that you found a dead bird outside on your balcony. :( I'm sure it would have died whether you had a feeder or not. I also agree that since your cats are indoor only cats that you're not hurting the birds by putting up a feeder.

zippy-kat
07-24-2002, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry you had to see that Kelly! :(

{{hugs}}

NoahsMommy
07-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the advice....I'll fill up the birdfeeder when I get home. :)

Pam
07-25-2002, 04:33 PM
I too have a bird feeder just off the deck in the yard and my cats sit and watch the birds all day through the sliding glass door (they are also inside kitties). Occasionally a bird will fly right into the door as if they are planning to come right on in the kitchen (and believe me it's not because the door is super clean). Sometimes they appear dazed but so far they have all been able to fly away. Maybe yours flew into the glass and hit it a little too hard. :(