PDA

View Full Version : Online dating

sumbirdy
07-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Have any of you ever tried this? I made a profile on Yahoo! Personals but right now I'm only doing the free stuff. Can't email anyone back. I actually found a couple of people I wouldn't mind getting to know. I just don't want to pay the money. Maybe I will once I get a job... Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else has ever done this and did it work out?

crow_noir
07-22-2007, 02:17 AM
I haven't tried it out (since I'm in a wonderful relationship,) but i did browse a few sites just for the fun of it.

Last year one had joined up with Petfinder. I remember i couldn't find it in listings on search engines. It looked pretty neat. It was a dating site for pet lovers only.

*pause*

Ah ha! Sometimes I love that i save every little thing. Here is an email i sent to a friend. (This was from Dec 2005! "Last year"? Boy my sense of time is off.)

The promotional deal is no longer up. Two months ago when you signed up through Petfinder you got a Premium Membership for six years!

(Remember to uncheck the box next to that light blue text on the form if you don't want to be spammed. "I'd like to receive information on discounts and specials from select Animal Attraction partners" )

http://www.animalattraction.com/Petfinder.asp

Ah ha! ...here in the FAQ... " How much does it cost? We are committed to building a large and diverse community of pet lovers. The more the merrier. In this spirit, we have decided to make AnimalAttraction.com FREE for a LIMITED TIME to members who join now. We will notify all of our members when the features that come with Premium Membership require a monthly subscription fee ." "
Can I get a get free trial membership? Yes! All you need to do is create a free personal profile, and you’ll receive a FREE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP! "
http://www.animalattraction.com/FAQs.asp?strAction=show

Good Luck! :- )

catnapper
07-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Hubby and I met online. :)

kittycats_delight
07-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Hubby and I met online. :)

Same here. He is from Italy and I'm from Canada (now living in Italy). We are married just over 3 years and have been together just over 6. It wasn't through an online dating service. We met on ICQ.

binka_nugget
07-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I met my boyfriend online (we used plentyoffish.com. It's free :)) He's definitely the one.. I have no doubt about that, neither does he. I'm just sitting around, waiting for a ring now. :p We were made for each other. It still blows our mind knowing that we found each other online.

sparks19
07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I also met my husband online but it wasn't on a service..... we just met by chance on Yahoo messenger. We never thought back then that in three years time we would be happily married and expecting our first child haha. It's amazing what you find when you aren't actually looking for it.

I know a lot of people that have tried E Harmony and are now happily married to someone they found on there.

So they really do work.... but don't rush anything and always be cautious.

Scooter's Mom
07-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I met my husband in March 1998 playing a game called Ultima Online. :)
We've been together ever since. I moved from Houston to Phoenix in January 1999 and we got married in December 1999. For us it worked.

My brother's best friend (who is like my big brother too) married a girl he met through match.com on the same day I married my husband. Weird huh? Well, they were divorced before their first anniversary. So theirs is an example of it not working. It's not something that works for everyone.

Good luck!

AdoreMyDogs
07-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I met my husband in March 1998 playing a game called Ultima Online. :)
We've been together ever since. I moved from Houston to Phoenix in January 1999 and we got married in December 1999. For us it worked.

My brother's best friend (who is like my big brother too) married a girl he met through match.com on the same day I married my husband. Weird huh? Well, they were divorced before their first anniversary. So theirs is an example of it not working. It's not something that works for everyone.

Good luck!

Wow neat, I met my hubby from the online game Star Wars Galaxies. I was certainly not looking to meet my future husband from a video game, but it just happened. I think that as long as you're careful, online dating is a great way to meet people.

catnapper
07-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, online dating definitely has its scary moments. I am so lucky I met hubby as the third guy I dated from the dating site. The first one was AWESOME on the computer, a dud in person. The other one was charming on the computer and a total bore in life (he thought he was God's gift to everything :rolleyes: ) Then I met hubby. The rest, as they say, is history.

sumbirdy
07-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Well I'm glad it's worked for some people. I'm just looking at profiles. Just doing the free stuff right now and just wanted to know if it's really worth it.

king2005
07-23-2007, 02:19 AM
I met my ex of 7yrs on ICQ... it was good at first, then he turned abusive & ya... hes now an ex... dated 3 other guys from a site called plentyoffish.com (known as POF & its for Canada, the USA & Europe). all 3 were duds...

Just play it SMART, & you never know who you'll find on there! But its not instant... I've been on it for over a year now.

Taz_Zoee
07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I met my BF over 4 years ago on match.com. Some tips I can give about online dating is:
1. Always meet during daylight hours in a public place.
2. Always make sure someone knows where you are.
3. Have someone call you so far into the date so you can have a way out if you are not liking it or are uncomfortable. My friends also did this just to make sure I was okay. So I always told my date I HAD to answer the phone. If I didn't they'd sent out the search party for me.

Of course my first date with current BF was at 3pm and we ended up going up to Tahoe and spending the night in his condo. BUT he never even kissed me. ;)

Catty1
07-24-2007, 12:17 AM
What Taz said!

crow_noir
07-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Not just online dating, but ANY meeting from the internet.

4. Take someone with you. (If it's a date the person you take can depart with in five minutes. At least they seen what the person you are with looks like.)

I met my BF over 4 years ago on match.com. Some tips I can give about online dating is:
1. Always meet during daylight hours in a public place.
2. Always make sure someone knows where you are.
3. Have someone call you so far into the date so you can have a way out if you are not liking it or are uncomfortable. My friends also did this just to make sure I was okay. So I always told my date I HAD to answer the phone. If I didn't they'd sent out the search party for me.

neko1
07-24-2007, 05:55 AM
I met my boyfriend online too. We've been together now for a year and a half.
We actually 'met' on myspace! Now I wasn't using myspace as a dating site and neither was he but we just started talking and it went from there! We hope to get an apartment together next year and while I'm not ready to get married again yet, it could be in our future. :D

moosmom
07-24-2007, 09:52 AM
After hearing all sorts of horror stories and reading the book, "Likes Music Loves to Dance" by Mary Higgins Clark, I don't trust online dating. Ya never know WHO you're communicating with. There are some real whackjobs out there.

wombat2u2004
07-24-2007, 09:56 AM
After hearing all sorts of horror stories and reading the book, "Likes Music Loves to Dance" by Mary Higgins Clark, I don't trust online dating. Ya never know WHO you're communicating with. There are some real whackjobs out there.

Yeah.....it's true. I'd be worried about turning up at some ladies house and then being dragged in by a couple of birds with a meat cleaver !!!!! :eek:
I betcha it's happened before !!!! Not for me.
Wom

sparks19
07-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah.....it's true. I'd be worried about turning up at some ladies house and then being dragged in by a couple of birds with a meat cleaver !!!!! :eek:
I betcha it's happened before !!!! Not for me.
Wom

Just show up in your pink sequined undies.... if they don't die laughing you can blind them with the sequins :D You would be perfectly safe hahaha.

wombat2u2004
07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Just show up in your pink sequined undies.... if they don't die laughing you can blind them with the sequins :D You would be perfectly safe hahaha.

Thats a good idea Sparksy......perhaps I could get you to make me some bracelets and stuff to wear to. Just for extra dazzle....you understand :D
Wom

sparks19
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Thats a good idea Sparksy......perhaps I could get you to make me some bracelets and stuff to wear to. Just for extra dazzle....you understand :D
Wom

I think that would only distract from the undies :D Let them speak for themselves.