PDA

View Full Version : Another bad situation. * WARNING GRAPHIC PICS* Update 07/26

kt_luvs_kitties
07-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Ok. I need to make this short. My head is killing me, and I nearly had a breakdown today....

I still put food out for a stray in my neighborhood, BUT tonight another visitor showed up... And he is VERY scared of me. I cant touch him, and the only thing that I could do was go inside, and put out canned food for him. He came close enough for pictures.

This is what he looks like. He face is mauled terribly, and he is skin and bones. I would be willing to bet money he is FeLv +. He has bloody puss around his nose and mouth. What do I do? I still have a small amount at the vet for the stray cat fund, not nearly enough to get this cat tested, examined, meds.. AND nowhere for him to go...

I UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can bring him into my home. Not to foster, nothing. I still have 5 fosters that need to be out soon, and no prospects.

Also, what if he is disease negative? And could be fixed up? What would I do with him?

WHY is it always me? What should I do?

BLOOD/FLESH PICTURES BELOW!!! DONT LOOK IF YOU CANT TAKE IT!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8c7ab2a98dc155724a65383492210143/e8799855.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8ba3b0218f43156100cc07621d2e25b1/e8799860.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pff8f69c7203575ccb5af982e657b619a/e8799891.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pb51f1f9f36cc18292e2d998479e916a3/e87998b6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p360edc46b2378bf94598c90eef0eaa1b/e8799866.jpg

K & L
07-22-2007, 07:44 AM
You need to trap him and get him to some care. If he's positive at least he could be put down and die peacefully. If he's not, then you could get him care, fixed, and just release him and then just provide him with food and water. Either way would be better than what this poor guy is going through. Good luck!

Laura's Babies
07-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Poor kitty! It is such a dangerous world out there for them. I would trap him and do what K & L said. He need help and needs it now... Your house has been marked like the Found Cats Hotel has been by the homeless and strays looking for a good meal.

Freedom
07-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I agree with Lisa. having worked TNR for a whole 4 months now, I am a huge supporter. Get him trapped and in to a vet. Poor kitty. OUCH!

Medusa
07-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Yep, TNR is the way to go. Unfortunately, not all cats are going to go to homes. But TNR is the humane thing to do. Good luck. We're praying for ya on this one for sure.

Catty1
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Poor baby! Katie, do see if you can trap him and get him to the vet.

As Lisa said, worst thing is he passes peacefully if he is positive - though I think FelV and HIV kitties can have good lives, some folks here have them as fosters.

Bless you!

critters
07-22-2007, 10:09 AM
What a handsome fella he is!! Can you get a close-up pic of the wound? Maybe it's an abcess that's already exploded, so it's not so bad. If you absolutely, positively can't get him in to be seen immediately, can you put fish antibiotics in his food? He probably wouldn't notice the powder was there.

Ace sends kisses; he's welded to my L armpit these days, and he's currently kneading on my elbow. :)

doolittleky
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
That is a good idea about trapping him and Katie has thought of that BUT the problem is she has NO trap to do it and NO money to buy one. Even if she did have a trap she hasn't got the funds to take care of him or even to put him to sleep. She isw SO overwhelmed with everything and is near a breakdown. She called me last night hysterical and crying about this cat and how she can't take it anymore and why do they all come to her etc. I hope she doesn't mind me posting this but I need you to understand what Katie is going through right now. She just can't take it anymore but her heart doesn't let her not help these babies when they come to her. She already has 5 foster that NO one has shown any interest in adopting and she can't afford to feed those. This cat needs help. Can someone please help katie with this. I am really worried about her well being and this cat needs medically attention ASAP!
Melissa

Medusa
07-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Try www.alterpet.org. They have Have-a-Heart traps that you have to pay a deposit on but you get it back when you return the trap.

Kirsten
07-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Poor baby!! I also think you should try to get him trapped. I can totally understand that you don't want to bring him into your house, to the other cats. It's very likely that he is positive, from the way he looks.

Poor kitty! When will people finally get rid of this romantic illusion that this world is a paradise for ferals! Reality is somewhat different, and this poor guy is just one of many!

I'm sorry that this happened to you, but you are a person who cares!

Kirsten

rg_girlca
07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Oh that poor sweet kitty. Katie, I'm so sorry to hear that you are so overwhelmed by all of this. I am willing to help out with what I can. Is there a place that you can call, that will help with him?

Melissa, thank you for letting us know about the situation. It's so sad. :(

orangemm
07-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Katie, check your email....

I'm praying for this baby.

Catty1
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Katie - I am sure you know most of these, but have a look and see who ius nearby can lend you a trap. Even if one is a bit far away, you never know who is coming to your city.

http://www.animalshelter.org/shelters/all.asp?rescueState=NC&postalCode=&search=Find

ALSO - call the municipal government - I am sure your local gov't Animal Control has traps. However, you might say you want it for a raccoon!

Also try wildlife rescues in your area. And pet grooming places!

Even if you can borrow a large dog cage, and put the food and water in there, you might be able to close the door on this little guy.

Reachoutrescue
07-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh, Katie. It has been so long since we spoke. I feel so bad for what you are going through. Is there anyway you could go to a shelter and explain to them about this boy and ask them to loan you a trap? Shelters are good about that usually. I pray this will work out for you. Call me. It has been too long.

elizabethann
07-23-2007, 08:33 AM
OMG. That poor kitty!

I agree with everybody, try to trap it and take it to the vet asap.

Please keep us posted and thanks for trying to help it. I know the cat will appreciate it. It's probably in pain and it could get infected. Good luck.

catmandu
07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
The Kindest Thing Would Be To Catch Him In A Humane Trap.
If Hes Ill It Would Be A Kidness To End His Suffering .
Thats Terrible That A Cat Who Could Have Been A Wonderful Companion Has Come To This. He Reminds Me Sadly Of Nugget In His Last Days.
We Are Praying For That Poor Creature Of God.

Catty1
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
HELLO! Anyone read Post #7 by Doolittlekitty after it was posted?

That is a good idea about trapping him and Katie has thought of that BUT the problem is she has NO trap to do it and NO money to buy one. Even if she did have a trap she hasn't got the funds to take care of him or even to put him to sleep.

I sent some money. I think someone else did too. And I sent suggestions on where to borrow a trap. No one in Katie's position should have to buy one.

Heck - even a thick towel over the kitty and a sturdy box with a lid might do. Hopefully, he will get a bit tamer in the next day or so.

HUGS Katie!

cassiesmom
07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
That is a good idea about trapping him and Katie has thought of that BUT the problem is she has NO trap to do it and NO money to buy one. This cat needs help. Can someone please help katie with this. I am really worried about her well being and this cat needs medically attention ASAP!
Melissa

Melissa or Katie, would your village animal control provide the proper trap for this kitty? After he is safely contained, would they be able to either 1 - transport him to a veterinary hospital for care or 2 - take him to an animal shelter, which would then arrange for his medical care? If Katie gets involved she would potentially be taking on a significant financial responsibility even though it is not her cat. Maybe the shelter or veterinary hospital could scan kitty for a microchip while he is under their care.

Anikaca77
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
My prays for this kitty and you. I wish I lived closer to help you out.

Melissa

doolittleky
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Katie called me last night and said she hadn't seen this por cat again yet. She has been looking for him. Hopefully he showed up after we talked. She wasn't able to get to a computer yesterday because she had a bad headache from all this stress. I will let her know what everyone has suggested when I talk to her and let her know money has been sent to her to help. If I am not mistaken where she lives the animal control or shelters don't lend out traps. I think she tried this before and couldn't find anyone that had then or would loan them out. I will double check this with her when I talk to her.
Thanks
Melissa

barncat
07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I am so sorry that things are piling up on you. The strays do seem to keep coming even though the money to do the ideal doesn't. You have given him food and kindness. That is a blessing. If it works to humanely trap him that would be great, but we don't get to save them all. The best we can do is the best we can do and if you break yourself down and burn out, no one wins. Take care of you.

It looked to me as if the cat in the picture may have had an abcess that opened and is draining. Ferals often hide when they are sick and the best you can do is know that the food and water he got from you eased him and may have given him strength to fight off the infection. He may have found another helping hand or he may have passed away. You gave him the mercy you could. Don't blame yourself for not being able to do it all. No one can. Treat yourself with the gentleness you would give the lost ones. Bless you for what you have done.

sandragonfly
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
katie, I'm sorry you're all stressed out right now but I believe you're picked for some loving TLC because you're a very caring person! don't think anyone than you would have given him a better shelter, food or luvies.

is there a shelter/humane society nearby you that could loan you a trap? I have had one once before then had to take it back before I moved to NY, only a $40 deposit. I know some would loan for $20 or even free..

good luck catching on this poor guy! bless him. :(

Catty1
07-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Or pet stores, grooming salons, vets, animal control at the town office...

kt_luvs_kitties
07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Thank you so much for all of your advice and kind words... I am now off my pitty pot and ready to get this thing started.

I called my local Animal control, and their deposit was 20.00, PLUS atleast a 30 day wait period.

I called around and found a place called Harbor Frieght tools, and they said that their cages are on sale for 20.00 plus tax. I can manage that myself. He is holding it until Friday for me. At that point I will trap kitty if possible.
I have not seen him since, but like someone said, he is probably in pain and is hiding from me.

BUT I think the best thing for me to do, without taking money from fellow PTers and working up a VERY expensive vet bill is to take him and surrender him to a vets office. Then he would get tested, and if negative, treated and adopted out.

What do you guys think?

Again thank you so much for caring about this kitty.

For whom donated, I for now am going to deny payment... I am sorry to get you all worked up and trying to help. But I really dont need a HUGE bill right now, and the vet I will be taking him to is a huge cat lover, and I know that he hates when people do this, I know he will do the right thing.

HUGS - Katie and kitties

Lee- Please give Ace a kiss from me. I wish I could do it myself ;)

Catty1
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Katie - that is good you are able to buy a live trap - or is this a "cage" cage? In any case, this will make it much easier for you in the future.

Because of the food, I would think this little guy will come around again.

How great to have a wonderful vet!

Now to get Little Orange in there, and hope he can be healed! :)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
It is a live trap. I know this kitty is petrified of people. I could never get close enough to close a cage on him. I had to put out canned food, crack the door, and stick my hand out to get a picture. I just think it is best all around to turn him over. That way he has a better chance of getting better, and someone taking him and loving him. I pray he is negative. BUT I will keep everyone updated...

I was scared everyone would be cranky that I decided to let this one go.... Do what I could, but to give up in a way.

I also have a job interview on Wednesday.. I cant start school now with the little funds I have. I am going to get things straightened out at home, and then worry about that. I have too many bills and cats to take care of. I hope that I get it, and things WILL get better ;)

Reachoutrescue
07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Good luck on your job interview Katie. Don't worry things will look up soon. You are doing a great thing for those cats, and deep down, the one boy must know you mean well. Those cats would have no chance without you.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Still no sight of him. Still leaving food at at night. I have to leave tomorrow to try and get this job, but I should be back before dark. I do have a feeling he will be back. OR he already has came back and I missed it.

I tell you, it is hard getting things done around the hosue when I am running back and forth to check and see if he has arrived :p

Thank you all for your kind words. It really helps!

PS- I refunded the donations- please check and make sure you got them back. IF NOT- please let me know ;)

phesina
07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh Katie, you are such a good person, working so hard to help the needy kitties out there. It sounds like you have come up with an excellent plan given the circumstances. Please keep us posted. You know that all the PT folks are with you!

I hope your job interview went well and you will soon be more financially secure.

We are all praying for you and this sweet kitty and sending you both our love and support and energy and good wishes. God bless you for caring so much and doing so much. No matter how this turns out, your efforts have not been in vain and have added to the total goodness in the universe (which needs to be added to as much as we can, what with so much badness around these days).. and this kitty has benefited from them.

Love and hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Kitty is still MIA- But Friday morning, I will get the trap, I have a feeling that will work. SOMETHING other than opossums have been eating my kibble! :p

They changed it until tomorrow, so I have to get home soon to find the perfect outfit. I found out they are actually looking for 2 different jobs.

First is customer service, I have exp. in that, but I hated it. Cubicles - BLAH

And cash intake/account depositor- Not good with money, but I will try my best :p

Either way the pay is good, so I will do it. It wont be forever, just until things get better, and my back account has enough saving for emergencies.

WISH ME LUCK ON KITTY AND THE JOB!!! :D

Hugs and kitty kisses! Katie and kitties

Medusa
07-25-2007, 05:58 PM
What Pat said. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
OK- Just a quick update. I saw kitty again tonight, he came for dinner :rolleyes: I quickly put out a tub of Sheba tuna, he came out about 5 minutes later and licked the bowl dry...

Buying the trap tomorrow.

WANTED to mention one thing, if the vet that takes him in tests him and he turns out to be positive, for FeLv or FIV he will be put down and I will have no say so.... SO is anyone willing to adopt him if he is FIV+? I just want to know before this all kicks into gear!

Thanks for the continued prayers! Katie and kitties

rg_girlca
07-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Katie you are such a sweetheart and a blessing in disguise. I know how overwhelming this is for you. Just know that we are all here for you with the ups and downs. I pray that you are able to catch him so that he can get the care that he needs. Whichever way it turns out, at least he won't be alone and will know that someone does care.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} dear girl.

Catty1
07-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Katie - go to Google. Type in "FIV Cat Rescues in NC" and see what you come up with.

Or call the local SPCA or Humane - they may know of a rescue that takes FIV kitties!

Even cats with FelV can live a good life - so ask about that also!

Hope he checks negative and just needs food and TLC! :)

momcat
07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Poor kitty! You've done more for him than you think. Putting good kitty food in his tummy helps him feel better plus makes him stronger. Now that he knows where dinner can be found, he'll be back and in time trust you enough to let you trap him for a much needed trip to a vet. Prayers are being prayed for you and this poor little guy!