PDA

View Full Version : Kill Shelters...Where they go from there (Upsetting)

tatsxxx11
07-24-2002, 06:53 PM
I try very hard to post threads that heal, encourage or inspire. But today I was shaken to the core by the front page headline (and accompanying photo) of a major Boston newspaper. Perhaps Karen saw it in the Boston Herald. I was getting ready to leave the market and was glancing down at the newspapers displayed while my food was being bagged. There, in full color, above the fold, was a HUGE photo of a landfill trash heap. What was being shoveled unto that heap were the dead bodies of hundreds of dogs and cats who had been euthanized by the city shelters. They were, after days, weeks, months of suffering, neglect, lonliness euthanized and in no uncertain terms, thrown into the garbage. I had always believed that at least in death, these innocent, helpless, beautiful souls were given a dignified end to their suffering by being cremated, or perhpas (very sadly) buried in large, private graves. This disgusted me like nothing has in recent memory. I couldn't look any more and couldn't bear to read the article because I was so sickenend and upset. When I get the courage, I hope to access their online site to read the details. More than ever, I will fight with every fiber of my being to stop the horror of the kill shelter. How sad that these beautiful innocents must suffer this final, disgraceful, unforgivable indignity. I plan to email/write/call ALL of my local shelters (including the MSPCA who receives yearly donations from our family) and others that euthanize and ask them bluntly, exactly how and WHERE these beautiful creatures are laid to rest! I hope you will too. I am including a link to the article. I still cannot read it. Forgive me if I have upset anyone. I do not mean to shock. Rather, I hope that by an outpouring of outrage by us devoted animal lovers, perhaps we cannot at LEAST stop this horrifying practice. I think it is not even necessary to read the article to act. Just knowing is enough for me. If it is happening in Boston, it is probably happening in a town near you.:(

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/spca07242002.htm

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 07:06 PM
:mad: :eek: :( I can't make a joke here.

Karen
07-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Sandra, I didn't see it, and am glad I missed it. That's a picture I do NOT need to see.

How awful!

CountryWolf07
07-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Oh my gosh! :eek: How terrible is that?! Geez.. :( I would've not wanted to see the picture either.. - Rachel

zippy-kat
07-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Sandra~

Unfortunately, I learned this at an all-too early age. My cousin's mother ordered a "SPAY USA" brochure of some sort. I was playin' at my cousins' house and we beat her mom to the mail--we both had nightmares from the photos.

I've always wondered what the vets do when the body is left there. Hopefully, it is much, much more graceful.

Regardless, I think the most important thing to remember is that the spirit has left the body and can no longer feel pain!!

aly
07-24-2002, 08:54 PM
I just learned about this a few weeks ago. Even the no-kill humane society where I used to work sends the bodies to the landfill. (Even though its no-kill, there are still cases where animals are euthanized, mainly for health reasons but some behavioral).

Its sickening. I, too, would like to see them buried with dignity. I will join in the fight in my area to try to make that happen.

AdoreMyDogs
07-24-2002, 09:27 PM
That is beyond grusome. Those poor, poor creatures. And who did this to them???? Irresponsible backyard breeders! Grrrrrrrr!!! Sometimes I hate people.

I have made it my mission to adopt a dog and/or cat on death row at one of our many kill shelters here and foster it once I get my house. I can't do much, but I can save one or two innocents who deserve better, after all the crap they have been through needlessly.

I don't want 3 dogs, but I would love to pick out one who has reached it's limit at the high kill places and save it, give it some training, get it all healthy, and then find someone to adopt it.

I have not yet approched Dan with my idea, but he is absolutely all for rescue, and seeing those heart-wrenching commercials promoting spay/neuter on Animal Planet make us both cry.

ChewmonkeyBC
07-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Thats so sick!
And sad
and mean!
Animals are not trash!even if they are dead,they should be buried,im sure that those people would want to be buried and not tossed onto some trash pile!:mad: :(
-Kayla

Sudilar
07-24-2002, 10:28 PM
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/sad/bluecry.gif

lizbud
07-24-2002, 10:46 PM
The saddest part is that these innocent animals, after
living lives of rejection & loneliness, where not even granted
some shred of dignity in death. :( God forgive us for treating
your beautiful creatures this way. :(

mugsy
07-24-2002, 10:48 PM
God I HATE the human race. Living things just dumped with the garbage...those people have no soul.

Gio
07-25-2002, 03:01 AM
I've seen a photograph like this before and it just broke my heart. I just could not get it out on my mind. It upsets me but at the same angers me so much that these poor souls were not even granted the respect they deserve in death.

Logan
07-25-2002, 05:40 AM
I'm not sure what I thought they did with these bodies. I think in my mind, I'd like to think that the bodies were treated with more respect, but when you think about it, these animals have just been killed (many times in less than humane ways in my opinion) due to lack of funding, patience or space to keep them alive. Why would I think that in their death that they would be treated with more dignity?

Sandra, I'm glad you brought this up because as ugly as it is, it does force us to think about it, and hopefully lights a fire under us to work even harder to educate, support and hopefully do away with all of these horrible practices in place. We may not see it corrected in our lifetime, but we can sure make an effort and a difference.

Logan :(

tatsxxx11
07-25-2002, 07:40 AM
I just heard on the news this morning that the Mayor of Boston was so outraged by this "revelation," that he has ordered that within 2 weeks this disgusting practice be stopped and another more humane, dignified alternative be put in place. I guess that as horrible as the images were to see, at that point, the powers that be could no longer ignore them! They actually showed video of the site on NBC news!! Still, it is a bit encouraging, and simply amazing, how change can be brought about when brought into the public's eye!!

anna_66
07-25-2002, 07:43 AM
:( How terrible. I can't imagine them having a picture of this on the front page of a paper.
I guess I always thought they just cremated the bodies.

Dixieland Dancer
07-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
God I HATE the human race. Living things just dumped with the garbage...those people have no soul.

I guess I am not really all that shocked. We live in a disposable society. The abscence of a fear of God and no respect for life in general is around us every day and not just in the animal world. Since 1973 when abortion became legal, we have disposed of 10's of millions of human babies. Enough to make the German holicost seem like peanuts yet as a society we remain silent and the murder continues. If people have no conscience for human life and can dump babies in the garbage, why does it shock us that they do it with these innocent animals also?

I believe that until people realize there is a absolute truth and that it is not just what I believe or what makes it convienant for me or what is politically correct, we will continue to see these disgusting and angering situations. Basically Molly said it clearly.... these people have no souls (or have been desensitized to the point of not realizing they have one). We need to be in prayer for our nation to be healed!

I am glad to hear that the situation in Boston will be addressed!

sasvermont
07-25-2002, 09:36 AM
The two Rs. We need lots more of it and fast. I think we as parents, teachers, owners, humans etc. need to spread the word much more quickly than we are doing. I just don't understand how so many people can be "asleep at the wheel" on/with/for/having do to with so many life and death situations for both humans and animals. I suppose it will take something horrible for many folks to wake up. Just the simple concept of spaying and neutering escapes many, many people. Go figure. They (the Vets and our government) should make spaying and neutering free - and underwrite the expense. Gee, wouldn't that make sense? There would be far fewer animals around without homes. Am I forgetting anything besides the "human factor"? I suppose some people would still continue to let their pets breed and would continue to trade them in for new ones when convenient for them. Enough, Sas! I shall give this topic a rest. :mad:

ramanth
07-25-2002, 01:25 PM
http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/ups/archinto/smile2.gif

wolf_Q
07-31-2002, 02:59 AM
I came across a pic like that quite a long time ago. It still haunts me. :( I can never seem to get pics out of my mind. I wandered around to some of the shelter websites around me a while ago...one had this wonderful description of their gas chamber and how long it takes the dogs to die. They say they can't afford to euthanize them with the needle.

Ugh, now more pictures are coming to my mind reading these posts. In AP Biology last year they gave us catalogs so we could order dead animals to disect (sp?). Luckily, it was by choice, not required. It did not only contain the ordinary frogs and squid, you could order a dead cat. There were photographs.

Candy, I agree with you. We DO live in a disposable society. It is very sad. A couple of years ago I was sent a link to a website on abortion. I wish I would have never went to it. Actually, I wish anyone who has ever even had the slightest thought abortion...would go there. Pictures really are worth a thousand words. Life is not something that should just be thrown away as common trash.

I live beneath some beautiful mountains, and when my friends and I decide to go geocaching, we wander through the foothills. An often used road ends up in them, near a trail up to the canyon. Off to the side in the once beautiful scenery...there are dead animals everywhere...deer mostly, although I did once run into a cat and horse skull. It is absolutely grotesque. The stench could kill you. And this is real close to some very expensive homes. After my mom talked to a couple of people, we found out this is kind of a road kill dump. Nothing official, I guess they just toss them there every once in a while. Yeah, that's REAL sanitary.

Aspen and Misty
07-31-2002, 11:49 AM
That is sick and extremly saddening at the same time :( . I think all us pettalk peopel should move and make our own comunity and just live there. Then when people ask us why we shut ourselves out from the world we can answer, because of things like this.

felinequine
07-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Although I hate that pet animals have to be killed, the truth is there are no humane places for them to go if there is no room.But that(gassing) is NOT the way to put them down, and that is a disgusting way to dispose of the remains!Not only is it disrespectul, but a serious health hazard! I know everyone realizes this stuff, but I just need to give my two cents.If this country turned back to its Creator, it would be a much holier place to live, as close to Heaven as this cursed planet could be.I am sorry if that offends your culture or beliefs.But I believe and know it is true, and I, too, agree that it will take much worse a thing to change them...and many will still not be changed.

Thank goodness that we love our animals and that they are in a clean, happy place and not like those wandering the streets.

|runs off to hug a certain Celeste Greytail|