PDA

View Full Version : Pyka Has Cancer! Omg Help!

Catty1
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Mom just called me...she was in tears.

The pathology came back - Pyka has nasal lymphoma, nose cancer. They couldn't get everything out without endangering him.

The vet says he can live longer with chemo...but apparently chemo is harder on cats than humans.

It's not just mom - but she is exhausted from the feeding...

I am crying, my heart is just cracked in two - he is only 8! WHY HIM????

I don't know how I can be ther with him. I JUST CAN'T. This is too sudden, we've been trying to help him so much.

Mom wants to spare him further suffering, and have him PTS today. He will be cremated, and his urn will be with us. He was one of my sister's dear cats, and it seems to me the cemetery gal said cats could have been interred too.

There was a pic of them as babies in a tiny flowered frame that is sitting on top of Darcia's urn, inside the vault. :(

It's Pyka, not me - but I JUST CAN'T DO THIS...when it was the old Siamese, debilitated by strokes, that was hard enough. but this....

oh god

Craftlady
07-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm so sorry to read about Pyka.
It's a hard decision to make for your mom, considering everything it's the right one to have him PT so he doesnt suffer anymore.

Emeraldgreen
07-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Pyka. You were so kind to offer help to me last night when you had so much going on with a beloved pet too.
It sounds like Pyka is going through so much. I know you have probably thought about this already but maybe Nancy could 'talk' with him and if you knew what 'he wanted' as far as fighting longer or choosing not to, it might make it easier for you.
My hubby bought me the book 'What Animals Say' by Dr. Monica Deidrich who I mentioned I had contaced before. I read the book last year but have been re-reading it and I have found a tremendous amount of comfort in it. There are quite a few stories in the book about her communicating with animals who are dealing with serious life threatening diseases and to read what their thoughts are about it was so amazing. Some wanted to continue to fight and others did not.
Anyway, I just wanted to mention that to offer something to help you heal.
*hugs* to you and to Pyka

Karen
07-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Sending you hugs. You're in our prayers, as well.

Catty1
07-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks...just the news of cancer is sudden...when he was showing signs of his personality coming back.

Emerald - the prognosis for nose cancer: chemo can give a cat 8 - 10 months. Radiation is palliative. For comfort only. There is no cure.

Pyka just wants to be held and loved.

It hurts more because he was one of my sister's beloved cats, and she died just last year.

Pyka will be loved - please pray that his passing is peaceful. He still has the morphine patch on...hopefully that will help, though it was to come off today.

He hadn't purred yet, though. So maybe that says something.

Catty1
07-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Mom just called. Pyka will be going to the Bridge at noon today.

She said he threw up again at 2 am. And he had been taken off the Clavamox, so that wasn't it.

The signs are there, I guess...why wait til he is totally miserable just for our sakes?

Prayers appreciated for a peaceful trip for Pyka.

lvpets2002
07-21-2007, 11:18 AM
:( I am so sorry & sad too.. Prayers & Huggss from me & furr purr clan..

momtomany
07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Hugs and lots of prayers for you, mom and Pyka. Pyka will be with your sister and they will be watching over you.

Grace
07-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Prayers for all of you on this very difficult day.

moosmom
07-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Candace,

I'm so sorry to hear about Pyka. I was shocked when you told me he is only 8 years old. :eek:

My RB Casey had cancerous polyps when he was 7, so I know what you're going through.

Please tell your mom that you, she and Pyka will be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))

Donna

sasvermont
07-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh my. Such a wonderful kitty, soon to join many others at the Bridge. After such a struggle. Have a smooth and safe and PEACEFUL trip dear one. I am filled with tears for you and your family.

(((((((Pyka and loved ones)))))))))))

Sas and her campers!

Kirsten
07-21-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry, it breaks my heart to read these news on Pyka. 8 years is way too young, it's just not fair!!

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
07-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I am SO sorry. :(

Hugs and prayers to all.

Catty1
07-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks all. I can't stay online long right now - but I did want to tell you that there could not have been a more peaceful passing if we had scripted it.

He is at the Bridge - and his littler brother is a wonderful reminder.

I will do a proper memorial a little later.

Thank you all for your {{{hugs}}}.

Queen of Poop
07-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I am so sorry that you have to say good by to Pyka. Hugs for you and your mom. He's leaving you early to go be with your already dear departed sister, his momma. Know that he will not be alone and that there is a ton of love waiting for him on the other side. Again, I am so very sorry.

mrspunkysmom
07-21-2007, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry.

krazyaboutkatz
07-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( RIP sweet Pyka.:(

phesina
07-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Dear Candace, I am so very, very sorry to hear about Pyka's sudden diagnosis and his passing. My very deepest sympathy to you and your mother. It's especially sad after you and your mom and Pyka worked so hard for so long to get him through his surgery and the aftercare for that. My deepest sympathy.

Big hugs, with LES,
Pat and the cats

Freedom
07-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I am just seeing this tonight. I am so sorry to learn this about your dear, sweet Pyka. Hugs to you, Candace. Play and have fun at the Bridge, Pyka!

Emeraldgreen
07-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Today must have been so hard for you and your mom and I can imagine that you are probably emotionally exhausted. But I hope you are feeling some peace that Pyka has crossed over and is free and happy in the comforting care of your sister. They're reunited. Take care.

Catlady711
07-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh my! I'm so sad to hear about Pyka. I was so hoping that they would find something a cure.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. And I'm sure Dusty will welcome Pyka over the Rainbow Bridge and romp and play together with him like kittens.

So sorry to hear the sad news.

kb2yjx
07-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I am so sorry. Sleep softly, sweet Pyka...

Donnaj4962
07-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Pyka. You did all that you could for him, and he knows that. I know it must be hard for both you and your Mother. (((hugs))) to all of you.

Hellow
07-22-2007, 12:25 PM
OMG i just saw this thread. i am sooo sorry about Pyka. It makes it hurt worse
knowing that Pyka was your sisters cat and she passed just a year ago. I feel depply saddend.:(

sandragonfly
07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
oh my.. :( I just replied to your PM.. in tears.

I don't know what to say - a sudden change of hope. rest in peace and sleep softly sweet pyka..

(((candace))) - please send my condelences especially to your mother and take care of yourself.

Catty1
07-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Bri is being really sweet and working on some scanned kitten pictures of him. I hope to have a nice memorial in a couple of days.

Thank you, everyone. Mom is okay...I talked to her today, and she has had a couple of cries. The regular vet phoned and was so sorry...genuinely, she had tried everything.

Mom didn't ask her why there wasn't a diagnosis earlier, as it would have made no difference.

I gently reminded mom that if there was any next time, to ask for a second opinion MUCH earlier. I had to really bug her to do that for Pyka, as she 'really liked her vet'. When she did finally ask, her vet was so relieved! And maybe this vet will suggest it more to patients in the future - who knows why she didn't do this earlier? Maybe other patients had been annoyed?

But in Pyka's case, nothing could have been done anyway.

Thank you all again.

hugs

jennielynn1970
07-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Oh my goodness. Poor Pyka.

Play hard at the Bridge sweetie. You'll be feeling all better again.

{{{{HUGS}}}} Candace to you and your mom. I'm so sorry this has happened.

kimlovescats
07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Candace, I am so very sorry!!! :(

Catty1
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Here is Pyka's memorial thread...I will add baby pics in a couple of days.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=130976

I miss him like he was my own...he was part of the family.

And please also see:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=130971

That's a nice story...but for the same sad reason.

inlovewithanimals
07-25-2007, 03:40 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :( :( :( :(

Justin,