PDA

View Full Version : AAAAK! Internetandphoneandtvpackagesandbundles...

Catty1
07-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I've been doing so much surfing my eyes are crossed!

I thought I would use the TV a lot after my surgery. I didn't. I was on here! (the computer anyway).

Mom was kind of suggesting that I get the tv deal...and the cheapest package is $29.95 plus GST.

I 'bundled' the telephone, long distance and internet, and it rounds out to $92 plus whatever. Cable. For everything.

THREE TIMES in the last week and a half, my PHONES have gone down! A tech came out; he got things going, and explained that some adjustments had to be made outside the building here - and that it should be done in the next couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I am trying to run an office from home, and this SUCKS.

So I am trying to keep the TV and bundle services with other providers...and it just doesn't get any better with the hidden fees and all.

I HATE THIS.

I wish I could just get a dorky little satellite dish to pick up a few channels. There are a couple of shows I like. I don't need 70 channels(which is as high as my TV goes.)

I am just venting. But any ideas???? :(

chocolatepuppy
07-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Speaking as someone who just experienced *four* trips by technicians to keep our online service and my neighbors phone(both through the cable company)working, all I can say is best of luck. ;)

DJFyrewolf36
07-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Beware of those darn bundle packages! I got suckered into a phone/tv/internet thing for really cheap...until the promotion ended. I ended up paying over $300 a month :eek: when it was all said and done.

I canceled before my contract was up. Even though I was charged fees, it was well worth getting the whole thing off my back!

Laura's Babies
07-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Hummmmm... I had thought about getting cable internet and been warned against it because around here, there is a lot of problems with it. Seems like there is a problem with it everywhere after reading this..... (NOTE TO SELF; NO CABLE INTERNET!)

Karen
07-20-2007, 10:50 PM
We have had the Internet via cable for years. For a long while it worked great, but the third or fourth time the provider got sold, quality started to go downhill, and tech support got less helpful. We now have FiOS, which I know isn't yet available everywhere (one of the advantages of living here), but it has been simply great. Fabulous.

FiOS = Verizon's Fiber Optic Service

jennielynn1970
07-20-2007, 11:22 PM
I've got Verizon DSL, and I've never had an issue with it.

I have had Sunrocket phone service since Nov. of 2005. Up until apparently this week. They filed for bankruptcy.

I had to pay each year up front.

I'm paid up until Nov. 2007. It seems that doesn't matter because of the bankruptcy. Before this I never had a problem with their service. It was 199.00 a year and had every option that normal phones had without add on fees. This was an awesome deal.

Sigh.

I received the email today from the creditors of SunRocket that the service will be dropped at any time. Customer Service is not available and you can't email questions about refunds or anything.

I've looked at the other broadband phone providers, and I guess I'm going back to Verizon if they can provide 911 service in my area over broadband.

Ugh. The things you have to go through to get service.

Oh, I'd have normal phone service, but my phone lines in my house are basically shot (the house is ancient) and I'd have to pay a fortune to have them repaired by any phone company. Hence, the broadband service.

Catty1
07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
If you find a good deal, can you send it to Canada???

Heck, each province has its own phone company...so much for variety. :(

SULK

I talked to a nice tech again tonight...the maintenance call (to tweak the thingies outside) happens from 5 to 10 days. He is showing my phone signal as weak. Will hope this gets fixed up soon!

As for the TV crap...I want to look into a small satellite dish that is NOT attached to any big company. Satellite dishes are NOT allowed on our balconies...but I am so p***** right now that I don't care! Put a lien on my mortgage - scare me! :p

*sigh*

Wasn't technology supposed to make our lives easier...and less frustrating? They LIED. :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
07-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Actually with SunRocket and with the Verizon VoiceWing I have the ability to call Canada for free. Most of the other VOIP providers have the same deals. You pay for a certain package (mine was/is 500 minutes a month.. more than enough for me) and can call anywhere in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico. I thought that was cool. I don't know that it goes the other way... my friend Regina moved to Toronto last October, but wasn't able to get SunRocket up there. Maybe other providers are different??

I do have DirecTV satellite dish TV. Was thinking of switching to DishNetwork as it is cheaper and I don't watch that much anyway, or that many different channels.

I used to have package deals, but I didn't think it was worth the expense. I think sometimes when you look at all the separate charges it seems like you're getting a deal, but then other times, when you add in the fees and the taxes, it's the same or more. Sigh.... At this point I don't know if I'm getting a deal with the different companies or not... :(

Jessika
07-21-2007, 12:36 AM
You don't happen to get service from Sudden Link, do you?? Ever since Cox was bought out by them, our internet goes down AT LEAST four times a week, sometimes for hours, and all they ever tell us is "things are fine on our end... must be your computer's settings". /rolleyes

Cable television never goes out, though.

And I don't have a landline because, well, I'm already paying $100/month for cellphones, I would never use a landline.

jennielynn1970
07-21-2007, 12:41 AM
I never heard of Sudden Link (suddenly up, suddenly down?! :p :rolleyes: )

My DSL is through Verizon. They've never let me down thus far... knock on wood.

Right now I'm looking at Verizon VoiceWing. If they can provide 911 service, I'm good to go. If not, then I'll be looking at Packet 8 and a bunch of others.

I have a cell phone, with Verizon as well, and it's about $50.00 a month, even with a discount, and I don't use that much either. I have Bluetooth in the car (came with the Nissan Versa :cool: ) but I don't like to talk and drive. I don't think it's very safe. So, I pay for the cell, don't use it much, my parents refuse to call me on it, and yet, I only ever use it for emergencies really. Sigh.... Not sure why I have it at this point. Should just get a prepaid phone, but I think I have another 1 1/2 yrs left on this plan :rolleyes: Gotta love those "plans" and the "early termination fees".

Satellite TV seems to go down with every storm that comes through the area however. Watch out for that one Catty! I liked cable better for stability.

moosmom
07-21-2007, 08:58 AM
After 3 years of dial up, I finally got DSL. What a difference!! My daughter has the "bundle" package from the cable company. She's happy with it and is always trying to get me to switch. I don't have a home phone, per se. My landline is for my computer alone. I use my cellphone for everything. So it wouldn't be worth it for me to change.

Good luck Candace.

Jessika
07-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't stand DSL, however. My parents have it, and it seems like even the smallest factors affect your speed and uptime. Weather, how far away from the place you are, if you're uphill or downhill.... if its too hot or too cold, if its raining or humid... their internet surges up and down so wildly, it never completely will go out, but latency will go from 60ms to over 2000ms in a matter of seconds. Its not just them, but pretty much any DSL in any state I've been in, lol.

BUT, compared to dial-up...... its lightning fast! So I'm not complaining, but I do prefer my cable :)