PDA

View Full Version : Cat and Dog toys made in China

gini
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I was just looking at a catalog online that had dog and cat toys. I would imagine they are made in China.

That made me stop and think about what they are made of - how safe would they be - what ingredients - chemicals - dyes etc. would they use?

Are pet toys tested? I bet not.

Rachel
07-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I bought Hannah a new dog bed (on sale) from the Drs. Foster and Smith website. It arrived today and said *made in China*. Now I wonder what they could have put in the filling. I'm probably going to send it back because I'm not too happy with the color anyway.

Catlady711
07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
How many things no-a-days can you buy that are NOT made in China? Heck if you want American made products you'd have to go to another country to buy them anymore.

And what do we get with all this "global" trade? Massive recalls of products, counterfeit products, unsafe products, damaging insects that are eat up our native flowers/trees, and losing jobs to foreign competition at an alarming rate.

Why can't we go back to a more simple time when "importing" meant shipped in from the next county over?

Laura's Babies
07-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I think the China lesson has been learned and we will be seeing fewer and fewer imports from them. We should not be importing any more than we have inspectors to inspect what is imported and we do not have enough inspectors! Just seeing this thread being posted proves that we are waking up and realizing just how stupid it is to import our good off to some other country and have to import what we use from another... I work on a boat and I know the mega dollars they pay to push the cargo so I just do not see HOW we can get it cheaper, having it imported across a ocean when you think of the cost to just run that ship, much less paying the people to run that ship (also keep in mind what it cost to buy a ocean going vessel!)!

Catlady711
07-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I just do not see HOW we can get it cheaper, having it imported across a ocean when you think of the cost to just run that ship, much less paying the people to run that ship (also keep in mind what it cost to buy a ocean going vessel!)!

They get it cheaper because our government imposes taxes and fees on home produced stuff so they get a cut of the profits. Foreign imports are given a break because we are in a 'trade deficit' to other countries (google it) and now they have the upper hand.

crow_noir
07-21-2007, 03:07 AM
I know... it is so sad!

I went to the pet store looking for a very specific type of toy for Koli before she goes to her new home.

I looked and looked and looked. I even bended what style to get her and ALL of them even close to what i was looking for were made in china! ARRRRG!

I found this really disturbing and questioned giving it to her
...This product may stain. Use in a stain resistant area. Wash hands with soap and warm water after handling. Yikes!!! :eek: It's not a food item and it's supposed to be going in a dog's mouth?!?

I really wish i knew of a better alternative!!!

I eventually gave in and let her have it... and she played with it for 15 minutes... she hasn't played that long with something since the raw meaty bone!

I was just looking at a catalog online that had dog and cat toys. I would imagine they are made in China.

That made me stop and think about what they are made of - how safe would they be - what ingredients - chemicals - dyes etc. would they use?

Are pet toys tested? I bet not.

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Hey....wait a minute here folks !!!!!
Ask yourselves the simple question why everything in the shops comes from China ?????
And why don't they manufacture these goods in the USA any more ???
Wom

gini
07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey....wait a minute here folks !!!!!
Ask yourselves the simple question why everything in the shops comes from China ?????
And why don't they manufacture these goods in the USA any more ???
Wom

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 12:16 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well....sounds to me like there could actually be a market for Chinese goods !!!!
Wom

gini
07-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh, you've got that right! Tons of things to buy - all dirt cheap!

Seafood that is tainted
Pet food that is killing our pets
Toothpaste filled with chemicals

America isn't perfect - we have our problems too - but when it harms the public we do seem to be able to jump on it - find the cause and stop it.

I for one, can keep my money in my pocket and do without most of this stuff.
And now, I am far more aware and read labels on food products and any other products to see where they are made.

I have noticed recently that if the product isn't from China, distributors
and manufacturers are putting in BOLD type the source country.

Cinder & Smoke
07-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I think the China lesson has been learned and
we will be seeing fewer and fewer imports from them.

Wishful thinking! :(

We HAVE to import all that "stuff" - we stopped Manufacturing most of it here in the
good ole USA and shipped the machines to make the "stuff" over to China! :(

"Made in the USA" now means some of the final assembly was done here -
using Parts and Sub-assemblies manufactured in China or Japan. :(

Sad, sad, situation! :(

Killearn Kitties
07-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I take it that the Kitemark does not cover pet products? I'm certainly not aware that it does. Perhaps we should lobby them.

We did not have the problem of the contaminated food here, but I will remember that old saying " every time you buy, you cast a vote in the marketplace".

Do not buy what you do not trust. Words written about companies are irrelevant. Only their turnover matters.

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, you've got that right! Tons of things to buy - all dirt cheap!

Seafood that is tainted
Pet food that is killing our pets
Toothpaste filled with chemicals

America isn't perfect - we have our problems too - but when it harms the public we do seem to be able to jump on it - find the cause and stop it.

I for one, can keep my money in my pocket and do without most of this stuff.
And now, I am far more aware and read labels on food products and any other products to see where they are made.

I have noticed recently that if the product isn't from China, distributors
and manufacturers are putting in BOLD type the source country.

Same here. I also try not to buy anything from these sources. Seems the problem is worldwide tho, not just contained to the USA.
I constantly see these cheap $2 shops getting so much business, and wonder if the people who frequent them know exactly why they are forced to buy cheaper goods. Seems almost as if they are on a bandwagon, where ther more they give their business to these cheap importers, the worse off their lives become.
Not real sure what the solution is.
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Do not buy what you do not trust. Words written about companies are irrelevant. Only their turnover matters.

You got that bang on !!!!
Wom

lizbud
07-21-2007, 05:37 PM
We don't have to buy the junk from China. There are other ways to shop.
Online shopping from animal rescue groups help needy cats & dogs and also
provide good ,safe products. http://www.ihelppets.com/ is only one of the
options we have. I really don't care that the imported stuff is dirt cheap.
We get what we pay for.

wombat2u2004
07-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am. While his coffeepot ( MADE IN CHINA ) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor ( MADE IN HONG KONG ). He put on a dress shirt ( MADE IN SRI LANKA ), designer jeans ( MADE IN SINGAPORE ) and tennis shoes
( MADE IN KOREA ). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA ) he sat down with his calculator ( MADE IN MEXICO ) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN ) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA ) he got in his car ( MADE IN GERMANY ) filled it with GAS from Saudi Arabia and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB . At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (Made In Malaysia ), Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL ) poured himself a glass of wine ( MADE IN FRANCE ) and turned on his TV ( MADE IN INDONESIA ), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA . ....????

Cinder & Smoke
07-21-2007, 06:18 PM
There are other ways to shop.

Online shopping from animal rescue groups help needy cats & dogs and
also provide good ,safe products. http://www.ihelppets.com/
is only one of the options we have.

I just called I Help Pets .com at 888-518-6571 ...
Sorry to report this, but the Nice Lady admitted that
"MOST of our toys come from China."

It's almost impossible to find a USA Retailer or Rescue Group that sells ANY
toy or novelty items that are "Made in the USA" ...
There just aren't any Manufacturers left in the USA that can afford to produce
"low cost" items anymore. Wages, overhead, and insurance drive up the costs of production
WAY past the "affordable" range in into the "forget it" price points.

Sad, sad, situation! :(

crow_noir
07-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Arrrrrrg!!!

Went to Kmart tonight to get a new clear plastic shower curtain, as Kmart was the only place we could find one made in U.S.A. Nooooo. They got rid of their other lines and now they are all from China! :mad:

Suppose it was only a matter of time. *sigh* :(

Wishful thinking!

We HAVE to import all that "stuff" - we stopped Manufacturing most of it here in the
good ole USA and shipped the machines to make the "stuff" over to China!

"Made in the USA" now means some of the final assembly was done here -
using Parts and Sub-assemblies manufactured in China or Japan.

Sad, sad, situation!

crow_noir
07-22-2007, 12:42 AM
I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don't buy from dollar stores, but the last two years there were a number of things i knew i was only going to find at those places (or i knew they had the same exact product as the more expensive stores.) Well, while searching for certain objects i discovered a dollar store where almost all of its merchandise is made in the U.S.A. !!! :eek: A dollar store!

Same here. I also try not to buy anything from these sources. Seems the problem is worldwide tho, not just contained to the USA.
I constantly see these cheap $2 shops getting so much business, and wonder if the people who frequent them know exactly why they are forced to buy cheaper goods. Seems almost as if they are on a bandwagon, where ther more they give their business to these cheap importers, the worse off their lives become.
Not real sure what the solution is.
Wom

wombat2u2004
07-22-2007, 05:00 AM
I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don't buy from dollar stores, but the last two years there were a number of things i knew i was only going to find at those places (or i knew they had the same exact product as the more expensive stores.) Well, while searching for certain objects i discovered a dollar store where almost all of its merchandise is made in the U.S.A. !!! :eek: A dollar store!

Nope, none of them here yet, not that I've seen anyway. I just wonder how they can compete with the almost slave rates of pay in China and India....places like that.
Wom

Rachel
07-22-2007, 06:24 AM
My main issue is still the pet food. The U.S. is supposed to be the *bread basket of the world* and yet all these major pet food companies can't even manufacture their own products here! I think every company that sells a product for consumption, whether by humans or animals, should be forced to indicate who the actual manufacturer is and where it was produced. If the ingredients come from various countries, well list that too.

wombat2u2004
07-22-2007, 06:41 AM
My main issue is still the pet food. The U.S. is supposed to be the *bread basket of the world* and yet all these major pet food companies can't even manufacture their own products here! I think every company that sells a product for consumption, whether by humans or animals, should be forced to indicate who the actual manufacturer is and where it was produced. If the ingredients come from various countries, well list that too.

Agreed !!!! And I can't see any reason why something like Pet food should have ever been imported in the first place.
I'm sure the USA would have it's own products in abundance for making pet food.
Wom

Cinder & Smoke
07-22-2007, 09:35 AM
I can't see any reason why something like Pet food should have ever been imported in the first place.

I'm sure the USA would have it's own products in abundance for making pet food.

Sure, there's TONS of the stuff that "could be produced" in the good ole USA ...

BUT!
It would COST TOO MUCH to use USA products ...
The Chinese farmers and product baggers work for pennies a day ...
The Chinese "stuff", delivered all the way to the USA, is STILL Cheaper than
that same "stuff" raised or manufactured in the USA.

And the unsafe additives are prolly a lot less expensive in China. :p

MoonandBean
09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I have been doing a little online browsing wanting to buy some safe toys for Sunny and some of her friends. I am uneasy about letting her chew on things made in China so I came here and put "safe dog toys" in the search and this old thread came up. As I continued searching, I found several websites that sell a limited supply of "made in USA" toys. You have to be sure to look for the small section of "made in USA" or you will see their whole inventory and MOST of the toys are not made in the USA. The ones that are, of course, are more expensive. The one I found with the biggest selection is

http://www.bestfriendsgeneralstore.com/dog_toys_s/NFC_USA/

I also emailed them and asked if they support the SPCA or Humane society and here is the response:

Woof!

We support the Payson Humane Society in Payson Arizona. We picked this
shelter several years ago when we donated Puppy Pulls for all or their
kennels in honor of friend of mom's who volunteered there. Because the town
is so small the dogs and cats tend to stay longer...so they need more loving
care. We decided to concentrate on that facility because it is small but
they have BIG hearts and a wonderful caring staff. We are also members of
the Humane Society of America, ASPCA, and Best Friends Society.

Wags and Licks,

Betsy and Norman

I placed my order and will let you all know how the toys seem.

phesina
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
crow_noir, what dollar store is this? Is it part of a chain? And where in Michigan?

Thanks!

smokey the elder
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I find when I go to cat shows, a lot of the products are make in the USA. One of my cats' favorites is a brand of catnip toys made in Vermont (Dr. Pussum's.) A lot of the cat trees and really high end food are made domestically, but they cost more. Clothing tends to be from overseas, because textiles are labor-intensive.