PDA

View Full Version : Bad news all around, prayers needed

wolfsoul
07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Well looks like everyone in my life is having a bad couple of days.

Lastnight I awoke to a strange smell and my dogs whining and pacing. It felt hot and I could smell smoke so I thought I left my oven on. I got up and realised I couldn't see anything, my livingroom was black with smoke. I went into the kitchen assuming I'd see smoke billowing from my oven, but instead I saw tall flames covering the dogs' crate.
I grabbed a pot out of the sink and poured some water on it and it just got worse and worse. I went outside with my dogs and started banging on my neighbor's door and they weren't answering. I went back inside and just kept pouring and puring and pouring water all over the flames until they finally went out.
I have the best boss in the world. I called her at midnight and she came over and helped me mop up the insane amount of water I'd flooded my kitchen with. When it was all over she took me home with her and I stayed the night with my dogs.
I was so mad because the fire had taken my backpack which had my tip money in it, but she looked at the damage and showed me that if I had slept for 30 seconds more, the cupboards above the crate would have caught on fire and engulfed my whole kitchen in flames. I would have been trapped. Not to mention this was the ONE night Solo was not in his crate. I've been very very psychic lately and I promise to always listen to myself from now on (just the day before I didn't want to park my bike on the gas metre where I always park it, so I parked it elsehwere -- the gas man came by the same day and put a note on the meter and would have ticketed me for having my bike there!). Solo is always crated at night because he tends to keep me awake, but for some reason I really didn't want him in there. He would have been under the flames so he wouldn't have even died of smoke inhalation..He would have burned to death..
My rat is so smart. When I went to his cage, I felt the bars and it was terribly hot. I always leave his cage open (it's on top of my fridge) so I thought maybe he'd jumped off and run away. I was terrified looking for him. But I stood on my tippy toes finally and looked --- he had rolled in his own urine to stay cool and was on the bottom of his cage. He is fine, gray from smoke, but his breathing is okay and he's running around still.
Funny thing is, just that morning while cooking up some porridge on the stove, I told myself I needed a fire alarm.
The damage to my house is not that bad. Mostly smoke damage. It smells terrible and my walls are gray. I need to throw alot of stuff out. But we're all alive. I love my boss for being such a good friend..She is my choice shoulder to cry on.

On to even more bad news. I got a call from Jynnelle(Tikeya's_mom)'s mom just a second ago. As most of you know Jynnelle is pregnant, due in September. Well awhile back she'd had a massive blatter infection. They put her on antibiotics, which is dangerous to the baby, but what else could they really do. They took an ultrasound which showed his abdomen was too large and they were worried. Well her mom took her to the emergency room at 5:30 in the morning because she was in such extreme agony. They immediatly put her on morphine. She has a massive kidney infection and possibly kidney stones. They have her on some killer antibiotics and morphine still. Now she is having Braxton Hicks contractions. She is in so much pain. :(

So prayers needed for Jynnelle everyone!

chocolatepuppy
07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh my, how scary that fire must have been! Thank God you are all ok. ... Prayers on the way for Jynnelle and her baby.

critter crazy
07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh My!!!!! I am so glad that you and all the Critters are Okay!!! What a nightmare!!! :eek: Prayers headed for Jynnelle, I sure hope tings get better for her.

Karen
07-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Thank goodness Solo was not in his crate, and even your rattie is okay, and you are okay. And you and Jynelle will both be in our prayers.

moosmom
07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Wolfsoul,

I'm SO glad you and your furbabies are okay. Not only do you need a smoke detector, I'd also recommend a fire extinguisher.

Give my best to Jynelle and let her know she's in our prayers.

(((hugs)))))

Donna

Laura's Babies
07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Smoke dectors save lives (so do dogs!) and everybody needs a fire extinguisher, especially in the kitchen. You are lucky you had your dogs there to alert you to the danger! You owe them big time treats!!

Alysser
07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I am so glad to hear you and your furkids are OK! I am so sorry this happened, but you're lucky everyone made it out alive. And prayers on the way for Jynelle and her baby.

Catty1
07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Prayers of thanks that you and your dogs are ok...and major prayers for Jynelle. I know they docs will do all they can....HUGS.

cyber-sibes
07-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Prayers going out for you & Jynelle. I hope she & the baby are ok, that's so scarey.

Thank heavens all you have is smoke damage! just reading your post, I got so worried one of the dogs died or something really terrible like that had happened. Walls can be cleaned, stuff can be replaced, but you & your furkids are priceless.

Do get a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen.

Using a seven year old fire extinguisher saved my house from burning down last April. Luckily, all there was was smoke damage.

And I'll pass on the good advice I got from Phred - call your insurance company & let them determind the extent of the damage. I was amazed, and awfully glad we had insurance)

Cinder & Smoke
07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Last night I awoke to a strange smell and my dogs whining and pacing.

It felt hot and I could smell smoke ...
I couldn't see anything, my livingroom was black with smoke.

I grabbed a pot out of the sink and poured some water on it
and it just got worse and worse.
I went outside with my dogs and started banging on my neighbor's door
and they weren't answering.

I went back inside and just kept pouring and puring and pouring water all over the flames
until they finally went out ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

What's wrong with this picture??
WHEN did you CALL the FIRE Department!???

To say "you were LUCKY" doesn't do this situation justice!

And ... you NEED to buy a SMOKE DETECTOR - TODAY!
They cost less than $10.00 - sometimes FREE from your local FIRE Department.
And take it OUT of the package - and INSTALL it!

A FIRE Extinguisher is optional ... don't buy one unless you will GO to the Fire Station
and ask them to SHOW you how to properly use it.

Do you know HOW and WHY the fire got started?
What steps are you taking to prevent a repeat of the fire?

If you don't know what caused it ... another reason to CALL the FD!

Glad you and the Critters made it through this safely!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

/s/ Phireman Phred

king2005
07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm so glad that you & your fur babies are ok!!!

I had no idea J was preg. I haven't kept in touch with you 2 over the years like I use too... Let her know I'm sending her lots of get wells for her & her baby!!

Catlady711
07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Glad everyone is ok!

That would have terrified me to death! :eek:

kimlovescats
07-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Glad you and your pets are OK.
Prayers for Jynelle and baby!

Kim

Marigold2
07-20-2007, 07:09 AM
So glad you and the pets are ok. Hugs are prayers coming your way. :)

Daisy and Delilah
07-20-2007, 07:21 AM
How awful for you Jordan :( I'm glad you're all safe.

Huge prayers going out right away for Jynelle. :(

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

anna_66
07-20-2007, 07:30 AM
I was just scared reading your post, I can't imagine how you felt:eek:
I'm so very glad to hear that everyone is fine. GO GET A SMOKE DETECTOR...NOW!

Tell Jynelle she's in my prayers. I hope her and the baby are doing alright today.

(((HUGS))) to the both of you.

Randi
07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Oh my, what a scare!! :eek: :( Glad you're safe though. :)

You know, Phred is right, do get a fire extinguiser and a smoke alarm!! That would have woken you up long before it got so bad.

Some years ago, a guy (a drunk) had borrowed his mom's flat across the road, while she was on vacation, and before I went to bed, I saw smoke coming out of one window there, then I heard the firebrigade coming, but it was too late. The guy had a wonderful German Shepard dog, but obviously, the dog didn't manage to wake him, or escape. They came out with the dog and the guy in body bags. :(

Hope you'll be OK, and Jynelle too!

Freedom
07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Oh my, I have chills still, just from reading your post; and I've read all the replies! The chills just won't leave. Thank heavens all of you are fine, and your boss let you stay there. I can't imagine having to try and get some sleep in the same place after all that!

Prayers for all and for J and the baby as well.

finn's mom
07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm glad you are all okay, you were given the chance to learn a life-saving lesson, and you really didn't have to lose much to learn it. Thanks for letting us know about Jynelle, too, that must be terrible.

Anita Cholaine
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
God, how scary :( I'm so glad to know you and the pups are ok!

Thanks for telling us about Jynelle. Prayers are on the way.

{{{HUGS}}}

wolfsoul
07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks alot everyone. :) I got a smoke detector yesterday. No one knows how the fire started. There were batteries in my backpack, those are the only things we can think of that may have caused a fire, but we don't know how, they were all fairly new batteries in good condition. My friend asked her mechanic boyfriend and he said it would be extremely unlikely but not impossible that if the batteries were to combine positive ends in the right way it could have caused a spark, but even then the spark would probably be too small to cause a fire. We did have a lightening storm the same day, perhaps static electricity in the air caused something??
I couldn't call the fire department because my phone was in the livingroom but I didn't know where. My kitchen is right next to my only exit, I wasn't about to go all the way back through my house to search for my phone..If I had left it for only a second it would have gotten to my cupboards, it was a good thing I stayed where I did and kept pouring water.
I need to get some baking soda as well, the last time I had a small fire (my oven had some food that fell down and lit on fire) I was going to get some baking soda and I just haven't gotten around to it.

I talked to Jynnelle lastnight, she is still on morphine so she doesn't feel any pain. She is on an IV as well and they gave her a gravol shot because she is throwing up. They took some blood as well. They took x-rays today to see if she has kidney stones but I haven't heard from her yet to see if it was positive or not. Hopefully she'll get back to me tonight, I'm so worried about her.

Catty1
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
wolfsoul...could you pick up an inexpensive cordless phone to put in the kitchen?

Good thing to have if that is your only escape! Do you have a cell?

Still wishing the best for Jynelle.

{{{{hugs}}}}

AdoreMyDogs
07-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Oh thank God you woke in time to get that fire out...I can't imagine the horror of losing any pets, thank God they were spared as well....phew, big sigh of relief.

I'm so sorry about Jynelle's pain :( I know that kidney and bladder stones are VERY common for pregnant moms. I had gall stones which are also very common and they hurt like hell...I couldn't even sleep! I changed to a bland diet and stuck with it for 2 weeks (rice and steamed veggies) and took lots of digestive enzymes and did homeopathic for gall bladders and they cleared up in no time. Don't worry about antibiotics, they're perfectly fine for preg woman to take. They also give morphine to some woman during labor to help ease the pain when those woman don't want an epidural.

I am so sorry she's in so much pain. She will be in my prayers. What a bunch of stressful stuff....but I'm just SOOOO glad nothing worse happened with that fire. That is just terrifying.

crow_noir
07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Wow. I'm in tears right now thinking we could have lost you (and all your fuzzies.) *hugs* Thank you so much for listening to your intuition. (I wish I'd do the same rather than thinking of it as some silly little voice.)