PDA

View Full Version : AAHHHH........Ringworm strikes our house!

Catsnclay
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Well little Taz has come down to with ringworm.....and so did I :eek:

We were one week away from letting Taz out to meet Lucky & Yoshi with out any cages in the way (they have already seen each other, just haven't touched each other yet)

Now Taz will need a special bath 2 x a week with daily medication, and mommy.....well I was in to see my doctor on Monday because I have these "spots" all over my chest & upper arms, she just thought it was the heat & humidity but gave me a cream to put on, she suggested we check out Taz so we took him to the vet later that day, now 3 days later (that's how long it took for the test) the test came back positive :( I have no idea what they will change my meds to!

Now we have to bleach-clean Taz's room, plus our bedroom :rolleyes: yes, we let him in our room!! We have to wash all the bed sheets, and wipe down everything - oh this is going to be fun.......NOT!

Taz will be quarentined for another 4 weeks! By the time he will be able to exit that room he will be a full grown cat!! :rolleyes:

Anyone that's been through this have any suggestions???? Please????!!!!

Donnaj4962
07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh my... I wish I had some suggestions, but I have never been through ringworm. I can offer many sympathies though.

shais_mom
07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
OH NO!!!
I had ringworm once too -
that SUCKS!!

moosmom
07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Oh Bunny, that just plains SUCKS!!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers sweetheart! ;)

Laura's Babies
07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
This seems to be going around a lot lately. There are others here with experience that can help you and they will be along to answer any questions. I have no experience with this thank God...

Catty1
07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Here are some links to earlier threads about ringworm...Lizzie, Reachoutrescue, ktlvskitties, Maya & Inka's Mommy, Sirrahbed, Noah's Mommy - they have all dealt with it. Just get a piece or two of paper, skim through these, and write things down.

(Someone did mention an expensive pill for it - but that might be the same one that is no longer sold for some reason).

HUGS!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=126451&highlight=ringworm

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=125047&highlight=ringworm

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=114618&highlight=ringworm

In this last thread, there are links to OTHER threads, so I will leave it at that.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111783&highlight=ringworm

jenluckenbach
07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
:eek: Not fun!

Since there is always the possibility that you brought it out of Taz's room, the first thing I would suggest is to treat the other cats with Program pills. And just keep a watch for possible signs of it on them. (but adults are often not too susceptible to it.) I had over 15 cats exposed to my one foster with ringworm and only 2 ever showed symptoms.

After bathing Taz and/or putting cream onhis sore aras, wash with betadine. Soap and water will not kill the spores.

Just make sure to stick with the treatment/meds for the full 4 weeks.

You'll get through this. Many of us have.

jennielynn1970
07-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Ditto on what Jen L. said.

Ringworm is a SPORE. It is AIRBORNE. :eek:

You, and the other kitties, did not have to touch Taz in order to get Ringworm.

This spread from room to room in our shelter. Some had it, some did not. Usually our immune suppressed kitties got it first and the worse. There is a spray that we also used on the shelter kitties to help with the affected area.

Definitely get the pill for the other two. It may be costly, but it will be worth it.

catmandu
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
No thats one thing that has never hit the Hotel so all we can offer is our prayers.We are praying being isolated doesnt depress Taz too much.

Catlady711
07-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Ringworm is a cousin to athlete's foot fungus and we typically see more of it at the hospital in warm humid weather (we've had several cases this week already).

There used to be a pill that helped heal the skin from the inside out but the manufacturer quit making it (probably because it worked and they didn't sell as much).

I'm curious, what tests did your vet run that took several days to get results? At our hospital we typically do skin scrapings (results read in minutes) or use a Wood's light (a black light that floresces if ringworm is present). Just curious how other hospitals do things, no slam on your vet intended.

Catsnclay
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm curious, what tests did your vet run that took several days to get results? At our hospital we typically do skin scrapings (results read in minutes) or use a Wood's light (a black light that floresces if ringworm is present). Just curious how other hospitals do things, no slam on your vet intended.

Actually 2 1/2 weeks ago when we first got him and brought him in they did do the black light exam, and found nothing. Same with the exam on Monday, they used the black light and nothing. Then she pulled a few pieces of hair with the root, put under a microscope, nothing. Then she pulled a few more hairs & roots and put it in the little bottle that had a lite yellowish goo, it was to sit in it for 3 days and if it turns red - ringworm. Yep, it was red :rolleyes:

Actually I was the one that started breaking out with these read dots on my chest and upper arms and neck (can you see where Taz had been?!) So I went to the doctor and she told me it was due to the heat (huh?!) then we told her we had a new kitten, and she was the one that suggested we have him retested.

I have to be extremly careful with things like this.....my imune system is bad, I have had both hips replaced numerous times, and I can't afford to get an infection because it will go straight to the hips, and that will mean more surgery for me! :eek: So I'm the one that everyone is worried about - we know the cat and the ringworm will get cleared up, but I most likely will need to be put on antibiotics and steroid creams to clear this up.......what a mess.

We will get throught this.............;)

jazzcat
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear it. We went through that with Jazz when we first adopted her. She had ringworm along with a horrible URI. She was quarantined for 5 weeks. Richard got one ringworm spot on his forehead. It grossed him out so badly that he jumped in the pool and held a chlorine tablet to it for several minutes. He did that about four different times over an hour and the spot was dried up and gone in a couple of days. Not that I'm recommending you do that but just thought I would share.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a full bottle of ringworm dip. If you would like it, you can have it. Just let me know... Ringworm is NEVER fun...

Good thoughts coming for a quick and easy recovery, and NO SPREADING!!!

Catlady711
07-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Actually 2 1/2 weeks ago when we first got him and brought him in they did do the black light exam, and found nothing. Same with the exam on Monday, they used the black light and nothing. Then she pulled a few pieces of hair with the root, put under a microscope, nothing. Then she pulled a few more hairs & roots and put it in the little bottle that had a lite yellowish goo, it was to sit in it for 3 days and if it turns red - ringworm. Yep, it was red :rolleyes:

Actually I was the one that started breaking out with these read dots on my chest and upper arms and neck (can you see where Taz had been?!) So I went to the doctor and she told me it was due to the heat (huh?!) then we told her we had a new kitten, and she was the one that suggested we have him retested.

I have to be extremly careful with things like this.....my imune system is bad, I have had both hips replaced numerous times, and I can't afford to get an infection because it will go straight to the hips, and that will mean more surgery for me! :eek: So I'm the one that everyone is worried about - we know the cat and the ringworm will get cleared up, but I most likely will need to be put on antibiotics and steroid creams to clear this up.......what a mess.

We will get throught this.............;)

Thanx for answering my question. Since I've worked at the hospital I've never seen a test like that done, course that's not saying they haven't run one on my day off though. I always find it interesting to see what methods other places use since I have never worked for another hospital than this one.

I hope you and your furbaby heal up quickly and no one else gets the ringworm!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Bunny, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that both you and Taz will recover quickly and that no one else will get this. I gave all of my cats the program pills when Starr had it and no one else ever got it. Good luck.:)

kimlovescats
07-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Bunny, please take care of YOU! The ringworm will pass in time from the kitties!

HUGS,
Kim

Catsnclay
07-21-2007, 05:52 PM
There is a spray that we also used on the shelter kitties to help with the affected area.

Jenn, do you happen to know the name of the spray they use? My vet suggested just plain bleach/water and spray it every where.

I do think we are on the down side of this, the ringworm seems to only be on his tail in 2 places, but we bathed all of him the other night - just to be sure. While cleaning out his room he dried off pretty quickly.

Luckily 'his' room was just tiled - no carpet any where - whew! And we took out the excersie machine (cleaned it down real good) so the only thing left in that room is Taz, litterbox, cage, food dishes and toys - they furry toys were taken away & the other toys were washed.:rolleyes:

Now, HOW do I get it out of the room??? Or will the spraying of bleach water, and mopping with it daily will do that?

BTW- thanks Candace for searching out all the other threads for me - they were very helpful!! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions - I do think we will get through this, just wondering what is next for this little guy??!!

jenluckenbach
07-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Malaseb spray (or anything with miconazol in it)

See here

http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Malaseb-Topical-Spray-Rx-ORMD-8-oz--pr--012DVM018

sirrahbed
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Bunny - the bleach and water solution kills just about everything - just spray it on and don't wipe off....or at least let it stand for a couple minutes. I just left it to dry. Instead of mixing a weak solution, you might try something like Clorox Anywhere spray - this is what I keep on hand.

When we were fighting ringworm this past spring, I finally scrapped the shampoos and oral medicine because it was just too traumatic for everyone. Instead, I bought the Program and treated everyone once and Emily twice as she was the one with the active ringworm.
There are two sites I found that I keep bookmarked are as follows:
Ringworm FAQ (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html)
Ringworm battle plan (http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/ringworm_battle_plan.htm)

This is frustrating but it will go away. It will! Good wishes to you my friend. (((HUGS)))

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Anyone that's been through this have any suggestions???? Please????!!!!

WE have!! When Zazou joined our family, she brought Ringworm with her :rolleyes: . Inka got it,and also my hubby AND me!!

As for the cats, I had to wash them with something (forgot the name :o ) 3 times! My hubby had a big round spot in his neck. My kidsteased him with that ;) . I had 2 spots on my arm. We had to put an ointmen on it during 2 weeks.

Goodluck Bunny!!!!

rg_girlca
07-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh gosh, poor you and poor kitty. Prayers on the way that you both have a full and speedy recovery and that no one else gets it. I also pray that you have no complications set in from this.

Thankfully I have never had to deal with ringworm and I pray I never will. It sounds awful.