PDA

View Full Version : Corkscrew is sick again. (new update post 127)

Uabassoon
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
His UTI that he had last month cleared up and he hasn't had any problems with that. However about two weeks ago I noticed that he wasn't eating very much and he was looking a little thin, I assumed that it was just the prescription food and he didn't care for it much. So I gradually switched him back to his old food to see if that would increase his appetite. Then yesterday I caught him vomiting twice so we went to the vets this morning. He's lost 4 pounds in just 5 weeks! I can't believe I let him lose that much weight, I really thought it was just the food then when I put him back on the old food he went back to free feeding with Tibby so I didn't notice how much he was eating. I thought he looked thinner but I thought it was mostly in my head. He is a very large cat, but still 4 pounds! I feel horrible that I let it get this far :(

The vet felt a lot of gas in his intestines, she thinks that he might have had an allergy to the prescription food which is making him not eat. He's on pepcid and antibiotics right now and is eating a bland diet of ground beef, steamed rice and plain yogurt. We also did a full blood panel to see if there is anything else wrong with him. I should get the results within a day or two. Hopefully it's just the gas that is bothering him and it isn't anything more serious.

Medusa
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Try not to let it get you down. My Creamsicle lost 3 lbs. in less time than that and she's a tiny cat to start with. I saw that she had lost weight but I didn't realize how much until I took her in for blood work before having her spayed. The important thing is that you caught it and your vet is aware so keep the faith. :)

Felicia's Mom
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm sorry Corkscrew is sick. Sending good vibes his way.

Get better soon Corkscrew!

Laura's Babies
07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Lets hope it is just gas from the food and this new diet will fix him right up!

Catty1
07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Poor Corkscrew! If you didn't like the food, you just had to say so!

I hope the change in diet is all that is needed, and he will be happy and eating again soon!

RedHedd
07-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh Corkie1 Please eat. I think I found where that weight went though - Mitzi has it! She'll gladly give it back!

catmandu
07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
The Found Cats are sad that thier friend Corkscrews not feeling well.
They are sending thier prayers that his Meowmi can find a food that he likes and that he will be his happy healthy self once more.
The Found Cats hope Corkscrews all right for the Next Partee, hes such a Fun Cat!!

jackie
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Fingers and paws crossed you get to the root of his problem.

Uabassoon
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Well it seems that Corkscrew isn't very interested in the bland diet that we cooked up for him. So we have gone over to food option #2, baby food. He loves it and is eating it with gusto! So at least he's eating something until the medicine kicks in or we can figure out if there is something else wrong with him.

jazzcat
07-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh poor Corkscrew!

I'm glad to hear he at least is eating the baby food - good boy!!! I sure hope he feels better soon.

Karen
07-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Pay attention to the ingredients in everything you feed him, which will make figuring out what caused the bad reaction easier, okay? Corkscrew, dear, speaking as a human with food allergies, I understand your pain!

Sevaede
07-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Here's hoping Corkscrew gets well soon! :( Poor buddy, we're sorry you're not feeling well! :(

kt_luvs_kitties
07-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Prayers for Corkscrew.. I hope you all get this figured out!

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Poor Corkscrew.:( I hope that it's just gas and nothing serious. Please eat well and gain your weight back Corky.

kimlovescats
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Laura, don't beat yourself up. It's like overnight they reach a point wear the weight loss is suddenly obvious!!! I hope the new diet will help Corky to feel all better soon!

Kim

shais_mom
07-20-2007, 12:09 AM
poor Corkscrew!!
Lots of love and hugs to him and you!

orangemm
07-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Poor Corkscrew...if I had a lot of gas, I wouldn't eat, either! :rolleyes: Just let it rip, maybe you will feel better.

Good sign that he likes the baby food; bring it on!

Get better, sweetie........

Killearn Kitties
07-20-2007, 05:16 AM
My girls are sending all their positive vibes to adorable Corky.
I hope the tests show him to be healthy.

Randi
07-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Oh poor Corkscrew! :( I hope the tests show nothing seriously wrong. I'm glad to hear he's at least eating the baby food. :)

Now, keep it up and gain some weight, Corkscrew!

Fister is sending headbumpies, and kisses from me.

kuhio98
07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Corkscrew ~ Gentle hugs. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Logan
07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Laura, I do hope that Corkscrew will be feeling better soon!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
This is NOT your fault, Laura!!! Please believe this :)

Hey Corkscrew, make your mommy happy, and get on some weight! How cute, BABY food :)

Donnaj4962
07-20-2007, 01:15 PM
I am sorry that Corkscrew isn't feeling well, and has been losing weight. My friend's dog has recently developed some food allergies, and she eats hamburger and rice. She is slooooowly putting some weight back on. Many prayers that the baby food and medicine will do the trick and Corkscrew will soon put some weight on.

Sasha also has some extra (weight) that Corkscrew is welcome to! :eek: :rolleyes:

Kirsten
07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Corkscrew is sick, losing 4 pounds must scare you a lot!

I hope it's just a food allergy, and that he will feel better when he's on another diet!

Fell better soon, Corkscrew, and please eat!

Kirsten

Uabassoon
07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Corkscrew seems to be doing better today, he hasn't vomited all day and he is happily enjoying his baby food diet. I spoke with the vet today and she said that all of the virus tests came back negative, however his pancreas levels are a little high. So it's possible that he has a minor case of pancreatitis however it is also possible that he has a parasite. All of the results still aren't in, I think we are waiting on a toxoplasmosis test result to come in. I'm also going to be bringing in a stool sample tomorrow. However the vet said it is a very good sign that he is eating and hasn't vomited but we still want to wait on the test results just to make sure nothing else is wrong with him.

Freedom
07-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I am sorry, I don't remember, how old is Corkscrew?

Ruffles is 16 and had a tough time in June. We never did find the source of the problem. As long as she is eating canned food and no kibble (and on 3 medications) she is doing great. So if the hamburg and rice with yogurt was a "no go," but the baby food is working, the food consistency may be part of the issue. Just something to keep in mind.

Best wishes, for Corkscrew!

Uabassoon
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
I am sorry, I don't remember, how old is Corkscrew?

Ruffles is 16 and had a tough time in June. We never did find the source of the problem. As long as she is eating canned food and no kibble (and on 3 medications) she is doing great. So if the hamburg and rice with yogurt was a "no go," but the baby food is working, the food consistency may be part of the issue. Just something to keep in mind.
Best wishes, for Corkscrew!

He's only 6 years old. I know that he will eat canned food if offered because I fed him that the day before the vet. The problem was that it upset his stomach and he threw it up. Hopefully after a few days of the baby food diet his tummy will have calmed down enough that we can try canned food again.

Kirsten
07-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear that it is no virus infection, but pancreatitis sounds not to well. Hope - that when this turns out to be true - it's only a mild one which can be treated with a diet.

Good that he's eating his baby food, and that he didn't throw it up.

Get well soon, Corkscrew!

Kirsten

rg_girlca
07-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your precious Corkscrew.

ramanth
07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Poor Corkscrew. I hope he gets feeling better soon!

Uabassoon
07-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Looks like we're going back to the vet tomorrow morning. He seemed to be doing better then all of a sudden this evening one of his eyes wasn't looking well. I don't know if it's realted to his illness or if this is something totally different, but now his eye is really swollen and watery and doesn't look good at all.

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Poor Corkscrew.:( I sure hope that the vet will be able to find out what's wrong with him and that he starts feeling better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Cinder & Smoke
07-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi God ~

We know you're workin on lil Corkscrew an his tummy problem ...
but did'Ya see his EYE tanite?

Kan You hop onna Red-Eye (no punn intended) Klowd inna mornin an meet
Corky at da White Coat's Place? See iffin You can't find sumpin inna Big Book
dat coveres "eyes".

And maybe send a kupple {{{God'sHugs}}} down fur da Girls ...
They're gettin a lil uppie-set that CorkyScrew is feelin so poorly.

We'll kross sum Pawz down here.
THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

shais_mom
07-25-2007, 12:29 AM
prayers on the way...

Uabassoon
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Here is a picture of his eye, I don't get off work tomorrow until 12:15 but if it looks worse when I wake up in the morning then I might have Alexa take him in while I'm at work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/IMG_0578.jpg

shais_mom
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
aawww
poor guy!!!

Uabassoon
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM
His eye was looking even worse this morning, so I left work early and we went to the vet. The vet says that it is just an infection and sent me home with lots of meds, he is on Gentamicin eye drops, Enisyl and some clavamox. He had stopped eating yesterday and she said that once his eye situation is under control he would be more likely to eat again. She gave him some eye drops to numb the area and when we got home he was more than happy to eat the baby food again! Let keep our fingers crossed that he can finally start to get better soon.

Medusa
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Whew, good news! Way to go, Corkscrew!

shais_mom
07-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I was just wondering about him.
I hope he feels better soon!

Cinder & Smoke
07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
:)
THANKS, God!
;)

Uabassoon
07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I just fed him another small meal (a teaspoon of canned food) and he ate it and it's been over an hour and he has not vommited :) I forgot to mention that he had lost a little bit more weight, 4 oz. so I'm happy to see him eating. I know that part of it is that he feels better since he was given eye drops to numb up the area, so hopefully tomorrow when the effect has worn off he will still continue to eat.

I also bought a powerball ticket, so keep your fingers crossed that I win so I can pay off his vet bills! :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I hope he'll continue to eat and start feeling better soon.

Uabassoon
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Corkscrew is finally getting better :) I've been worried about him for the last few days because he didn't seem to be improving much. However yesterday his finally started to look better, he was eating all of his meals as opposed to just taking a few bites and he finally had some energy! Yesterday I took him off the baby food and started feeding canned food. He hasn't vommited once!

He'd spent the last week just sleeping at the base of the cat tree so it was nice to actually see him walking around and begging for attention. His eye still looks a little gross and I know it's going to be a little while before he is back at 100% but I'm very excited for his improvement and it's good to finally see him starting to act like his normal self.

Kirsten
07-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm glad to hear he's finally improving!! Must have been such a worrisome time for you! What does the vet think he had?

Kirsten

Uabassoon
07-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm glad to hear he's finally improving!! Must have been such a worrisome time for you! What does the vet think he had?

Kirsten

He had pancreatis, however the stress from being sick caused him to get an infection in his eye.

rg_girlca
07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh Corkscrew, I am soooooo happy to hear that you are doing better. :)
I pray that your eye gets better real soon.

Karen
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Poor Corkscrew, we'll be wishing you better as quick as a bunny!

krazyaboutkatz
07-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Laura, I'm so glad to hear that Corkscrew is feeling better and is able to eat his canned food again.:) I hope he'll continue to improve and stay healthy.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I missed this whole thing, but I sure am glad to hear Corkscrew is feeling better! Keep it up cutie! :)

Uabassoon
08-12-2007, 12:46 PM
He was doing so much better last week then a couple days ago he decided he didn't want to eat anymore. I bought some more of the Wellness canned food since he really seemed to like it before, but he won't touch it. I'll pick up some more baby food this afternoon and see if he will eat that. If he doesn't eat at all today we'll be back at the vets tomorrow. I really hope he can get over this soon, he's starting to cost me my fall school tuition!

Uabassoon
08-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Sometimes I'm a little slow! I just realized that I needed to give him some pepcid, when he wasn't eating before it was because of the gas and he was always hungry an hour after taking some pepcid. I just gave him some and I'll try giving him some baby food when I get back from the store. Hopefully this will get him eating then I can work with the vet to try to figure out why he is STILL gassy!

krazyaboutkatz
08-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope that he'll start eating again. If not I hope that the vet will be able to help him. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

catmandu
08-12-2007, 01:32 PM
The Found Cats, Porch Cats and Poofed Ctas and All of Our Rainbow Bridge Teddy Bear Angel Pardners are praying so hard for you to win the Powerball because not only would you help Corkscrew but many other Stary Pets as well. There would be many happy homeless Ones in your area.
And we are sending prayers for Corkscrew that he conitinues to eat and is making progress.

catmandu
08-12-2007, 01:33 PM
The Found Cats, Porch Cats and Poofed Ctas and All of Our Rainbow Bridge Teddy Bear Angel Pardners are praying so hard for you to win the Powerball because not only would you help Corkscrew but many other Stary Pets as well. There would be many happy homeless Ones in your area.
And we are sending prayers for Corkscrew that he continues to eat and is making progress.

Randi
08-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh, I hope the pepcid will help and he'll start to eat again.

Sending lots of good thoughts, and headbumpies from Fister.

Laura's Babies
08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I hope the pepcid does the trick! Let us know!!

momcat
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Poor little Corkscrew. Our prayers are being prayed that the problem can be identified and recovery will be swift and complete. Please let us know how Corkscrew is doing?

Uabassoon
08-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I got him to eat a little food, but he's still rather lethargic. Hopefully he'll feel better in the morning, if not I'll call and see if my vet is in tomorrow.

rg_girlca
08-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Prayers on the way for precious Corkscrew.

Come on sweetie, please start to eat so you can start to feel better.

Uabassoon
08-14-2007, 04:22 PM
My baby isn't doing very well and I can't stop crying. His liver isn't working well now because he hasn't been eating. He's now lost almost 6 pounds. We gave him some Sub Q fluids and I'm going to have to force feed him. If force feeding him doesn't work then we will have to give him a feeding tube. The vet gave me some metoclopra to give him 30 minutes before each force feeding session which is supposed to help him keep his food down. Please send good thoughts my way that Corkscrew can get through this.

Laura's Babies
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I hate hearing this.. Prayers for him and his Mom...

catmandu
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Poor Corkscrew.
I know how much it hurts when one of our Companions is not well and there just doesnt seem to be anything that helps.
We are sending prayers for Corkscrew and pray that he recovers and is well soon.

Karen
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Poor Corkscrew!

wolflady
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh no! Come on Corkscrew, you can do it!

Is he willing to eat the baby food at all? What about kitten formula? Even though it's not solid, it has a lot of nutrients that you could perhaps get into him.

Thinking of you guys!
**hugs**

Uabassoon
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh no! Come on Corkscrew, you can do it!

Is he willing to eat the baby food at all? What about kitten formula? Even though it's not solid, it has a lot of nutrients that you could perhaps get into him.

Thinking of you guys!
**hugs**
I've tried baby food and a few different canned foods, but he's just not interested. Right now the food I've been given to force feed is science diet a/d.

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
(Where's da Kat, when we need him? Hope Boots & Bowser see dis.)

Hi God ~

Need summore Help down here onna Durt Ball fur da Corkscrew Kat!
Poor Kid can't eat - nuffin tastes good. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

You gota anything inna God's Kitchin that tastes really GOOD?

Kuld You pull sumpin outta da Fridge an send it down wiff Tubby & Peanut onna Silver Klowd?
We'd say to send Boots, too ... but da Good Grub mite not make it allua way down here.

Please show Corky's Momma Your cookin-book - an Help her chooze sumpin Corky will like.

THANKS, God.

/s/ the Prayer Pups
CC: Boots, da Kat

Medusa
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Prayers going out for Corkscrew now and always and for you, too.

Catty1
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Prayers for poor Corkscrew! I hope the force feeding will get his appetite back a bit.

I wonder why he isn't eating???? I know Jen put Mr Meow on a prednisone, but that is a different case.

Come on, baby, eat! Your mommy loves you! :) Let her dry her tears - start eating!

Catty1
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Could be be a bit blocked? Would hairball remedy help? Maybe his intestines are kind of full....but you'd know by the litter box!

PT Prayers again for Corkscrew!

jenluckenbach
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Sending prayers for one of my all time favorite cats, Corkscrew. :( I am so sad to hear that you are not doing well.

AbbyMom
08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Did the vet mention giving Corkscrew any appetite stimulants? I know there's more than one. I've had two cats in the past receive injections that perked up their appetites right away!

Did you try canned salmon? Or will that upset his tummy?

Prayers on the way and hugs for you.

ramanth
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Oh Laura, I'm so sorry he's not doing well. Poor Corkscrew. :( Prayers and hugs that the force feeding works.

krazyaboutkatz
08-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Many years ago before I even joined PT, my RB Pepper also stopped eating and he also lost a lot of weight and he developed fatty liver disease. My vet kept him for about a week and they were able to force feed him and he made a full recovery. A few weeks went by and then he stopped eating again. I also noticed that he began to strain in the litterbox. He wasn't blocked but he was constipated and the vets had told me that he was also this way before. This may have been the reason why he stopped eating in the first place. He was then put on lactulose. This helped him and he never had this problem again.

I sure hope that Corkscrew will start eating again and will make a full recovery. He'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catty1
08-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Posted by KAK
A few weeks went by and then he stopped eating again. I also noticed that he began to strain in the litterbox. He wasn't blocked but he was constipated and the vets had told me that he was also this way before. This may have been the reason why he stopped eating in the first place. He was then put on lactulose. This helped him and he never had this problem again.

It could be that simple...why not look into it?

ChrisH
08-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Poor boy. :( Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

Killearn Kitties
08-15-2007, 04:07 AM
All the positive vibes we can muster on the way to both you and Corkscrew.

Uabassoon
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Could be be a bit blocked? Would hairball remedy help? Maybe his intestines are kind of full....but you'd know by the litter box!

PT Prayers again for Corkscrew!

He isn't blocked, during the period in which he was eating he was using the litterbox. He's also now seen two different vets since mine was out of town for a conference yesterday. Neither felt an abdonimal obstruction. He somehow got a bout of pancreatis (still not sure how he got it though) and that is what caused him to stop eating.

wolf_Q
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I didn't see this until now. I'm so sorry to hear that Corkscrew isn't feeling well. :( I hope he gets back to his normal self soon!

Kirsten
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh no, poor Corkscrew!!! :(

Come on, sweetheart, please eat!!

What kind of meds is he getting for his pancreatitis?

Sending lots of positive thoughts,
Kirsten

Medusa
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh goodness! What's with our furkids getting pancreatitis lately? Here's sending lots of good vibes and prayers your way for you and Corkscrew.

shais_mom
08-15-2007, 02:29 PM
thoughts and prayers still on the way for Corkscrew!
{{hugs}}

GILL
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Get well Corkscrew.

Shadowcat
08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I hope the vet has discussed a feeding tube for Corkscrew. Often with the 'fatty liver disease' (hepatic lipidosis) the cat feels sick, doesn't eat, liver gets inflamed, makes cat feel worse, cat doesn't feel like eating - - the one thing that the cat does need is to eat. If a feeding tube is an option for you, I would recommend you go with this treatment. Feeding the cat is relativly easy. It will get enough food into the cat that he needs. The tube feedings may go on for a month or so. The longer a cat goes without adequate food intake, the worse the disease becomes. Best of luck for you and Corkscrew.

shais_mom
08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
how's corkscrew?

Uabassoon
08-17-2007, 11:52 AM
how's corkscrew?

I don't want to say that he's better, but he isn't doing any worse. He seems to be ok with the force feeding sessions, he doesn't like it but he will at least tolerate it. I've been able to get three small meals a day into him. He is also starting to be a little more social. He's not spending all of his time under the bed anymore, he's out and about and asking for attention now.

Catty1
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
That is hopeful...if he is 'coming to' socially, he will hopefully feel better enough to eat on his own one of these days.

Is he still on anti-biotics?

dionne
08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
My deepest and most sincere thoughts go out to you and your baby. You can pull through, Corkscrew!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
I don't want to say that he's better, but he isn't doing any worse.
Hey, we'll take what we can get, won't we, PT?

Come on Corkscrew, keep eating and getting better! :)

Medusa
08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I see that as a good sign. We'll keep sending those prayers to ya, Corkscrew.

Barbara
08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I am sorry for what you and Corkscrew have to go through. It looks at least as if there is a small improvement. I hope he continues to be better.

Kirsten
08-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Will keep Corkscrew in my thoughts. Hope he'll feel better soon!

Kirsten

momcat
08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Corkscrew, How are you feeling today? I hope you feel better and you're able to eat something. That will help you feel a whole lot better. Lots and lots of kitty prayers are being prayed for you to be up and at 'em again very soon!

Your friend,
Groucho

Uabassoon
08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Still no sign of improvment, he still seems to be about the same. The force feeding sessions are getting a little thougher now. I'm not sure if he's starting to get fed up or if he just has more energy. I'm hoping that he has more energy. I tried calling my vet today to see if it's possible for me to do sub-q fluids at home but she wasn't in. So I sent an email to one of the girls on my rugby team who is a tech at the clinic, I asked if it was possible and if she could teach me or come over a couple of times a week to adminster the fluids. Hopefully I hear back from her, if not my vet is in tomorrow so I'll give her a call.

Catty1
08-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Corkscrew...what is the MATTER, sweetie? :( Please start eating on your own so your meowmie doesn't worry, and can get some rest!

Do you think there is any point contacting the pet psychic to see what Corkscrew is thinking? Or I guess this is just all physical...

HUGS and PRAYERS!

Felicia's Mom
08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Corkscrew is still in my thoughts and prayers.

Uabassoon
08-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Corkscrew still isn't showing any real signs of improvement. He's stopped asking for attention and now spends all of his time under the bed. The force feeding sessions aren't going very well, I think he's starting to get fed up with everything. We tried doing sub-q fluids at home but it really seemed to stress him out so I'm not sure if I should continue or not. He started vommiting again and despite putting him back on anti-nausea medicine he is vommiting at least once a day. I can't help but wonder if I'm doing all of this for his sake or for mine. I spoke with my vet on Tuesday and he suggested running more tests on him but the truth is that I really can't afford to do anything more. I'm also just not sure if running more tests will help. I starting to feel that he isn't going to be able to bounce back. I'm not totally ready to give up on him yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I see some kind of sign soon.

shais_mom
08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh Laura, I'm sorry to hear this...
Lots of love and hugs on the way for you both...

krazyaboutkatz
08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that he'll start showing some signs of improvement. Everything you're posting sure makes me remember my RB Pepper when he was so sick.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Corkscrews way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

jenluckenbach
08-24-2007, 05:12 AM
{{{{{{{Laura}}}}}}}. I am so sorry that Corkscrew is so sick. I certainly know how yo feel about more tests. Sometimes they don't even give you the answers you need. :( :( you and Corkscrew are in my prayers.

K & L
08-24-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm so sorry to read this. I will pray things take an upward swing for you and Corkscrew. Good luck with this.

Medusa
08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Sometimes we can run tests endlessly and still can't get to the heart of the matter. I'm so sorry that Corkscrew is still sick and not responding. You'll know in your heart whether or not to continue w/it and you'll do what's best for him. Mega prayers going out to you both.

Catty1
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Did Corkscrew have an x-ray? And nothing showed?

Sometimes an x-ray expert can look at them again...my mom's vet did that with her cat.

Ultrasound?

I know you wouldn't ask for help, but help is here, you know that!

{{{HUGS}}} and prayers!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Laura, I'm so sorry to hear things aren't better for Corkscrew.

My suggestions, if you're not quite ready to give up yet, is either an ultrasound or x-ray, like Catty1 said. I think you mentioned that he was x-rayed, so maybe try an ultrasound this time. You just never know what might show up - either good or bad.

{{{hugs}}} and thoughts and prayers sent. I know how stressful all this can be on the human component, especially when things start getting more and more expensive, with no cure in sight.

{{{hugs}}}

jazzcat
08-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh no, I was hoping for a good update by now. Poor Corkscrew, what a sick little guy.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way!

jennielynn1970
08-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Poor Corkscrew.... I hope that there will be some improvement soon. Thoughts and prayers for the both of you coming your way.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Prayers coming for Corkscrew. Poor little fella, and poor meowmie :(

Uabassoon
08-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Things are still the same with Corkscrew. I bought him a new cat bed today to help make him comfortable and he really seems to be enjoying it. He spent most of today lying in his new bed looking content with his new furniture. We will be going to the vet again either tomorrow or Friday to see what the vet has to say. I'm hoping that he's gained some weight or the vet can see at least a glimpse of improvement in him. We are still force feeding, and he's still vommiting, however he is using the litterbox regularly to pee and poop so at least that's a good sign.

krazyaboutkatz
08-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Laura, I sure hope that he's gained some weight and that he'll start showing some improvement. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
08-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Poor sweet Corkscrew. It hurts me to know that you are not getting better. You are still in my prayers.

rg_girlca
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts still on the way for your precious Corkscrew.

Anikaca77
08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
My prays are with you and Corkscrew.

ChrisH
08-31-2007, 04:45 AM
Extra prayers on the way for your dear Corkscrew.

Uabassoon
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I was planning on taking him in today to see if the vet felt that it was his time to go since he hadn't been willing to eat on his own for three weeks and I had seen no sign of improvement. However we will not have to go in for our vets opinion today because he has finally shown me a sign!

Yesterday I was finally able to get him to eat some temptations, then last night I gave him some meow mix canned which he ate on his own! This morning he also ate some more meow mix canned all by himself! I bought some friskies dry that I'm going to leave out for him to see if he will eat and I'm going to keep offering the meow mix twice a day to see if he will eat it. I'm still going to keep up with the force feedings, but hopefully he will continue to eat on his own so that I can slowly wean him off. I realize that he's not out of the clear but at least he has finally shown some sign that he isn't ready to go yet.

cassiesmom
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Keep up the good work, sweet Corkscrew!

Killearn Kitties
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Still hoping for the best for you and Corkscrew. Good to hear that he ate a little on his own. :)

Catty1
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
More gentle PT Prayers for Corkscrew! Keep nibbling, sweetie!

I guess the force feeding, tough though it was, started healing his liver, so his appetite came back?

Hope it is all upward from here! :)

Randi
08-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm so glad to hear Corkscrew is eating on his own now. Sending good thoughts that he'll continue and perk up even more.

Gentle kisses from me, and headbumpies from Fister. :)

jenluckenbach
08-31-2007, 06:23 PM
This is Fantastic news. :D

Mr. Meow also had to be force fed for 3 weeks AND when he started to eat on his own, it was the Meow Mix canned that he wanted. What is in that stuff???

So Corkscrew.....you just keep on eating fellow.

Uabassoon
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Mr. Meow also had to be force fed for 3 weeks AND when he started to eat on his own, it was the Meow Mix canned that he wanted. What is in that stuff???

LOL I swear that stuff is the nastiest looking catfood I've ever seen. It also sure does stink up a room! However if Corkscrew wants to eat it then I guess I'll just have to deal with the smell.

shais_mom
08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm so glad he's doing a bit better! I've been thinking of you!

krazyaboutkatz
08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
This is wonderful news Laura!!!:) I hope he continues to eat and gain weight. I'm so glad that he wasn't ready to give up yet.:) Please continue to keep us updated about him.

anna_66
09-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Great update Laura! I'm glad to hear you finally got a sign:D

ChrisH
09-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Heartening update. :D Keeping the prayers going.

rg_girlca
09-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I am so happy to hear that he is starting to eat more on his own and pray that he continues to do so. That a boy Corkscrew. :D

momcat
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
What great news! Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend and your little guy will continue eating on his own plus put on a few pounds. My prayers continue for Corkscrew and his loving Meowmie!

jenluckenbach
09-10-2007, 06:38 AM
How is Corkscrew doing??

kimlovescats
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm so glad that Corkscrew hasn't given up yet! Keep eating, sweet boy!!!

Uabassoon
10-03-2007, 12:18 AM
I think the force feeding days are finally over! After six weeks of force feeding I'm glad to be done with it! Over the past week or so he has improved so much, I finally feel like I have my kitty back. He's been eating over a half cup of dry food on his own for the last three days plus plenty of treats and he'll nibble on the canned food that I give him. Out of the many different foods both canned and kibble I've offered him over the past week he really seems to LOVE Innova kibble, so I guess that is what he will be getting from now on.

He's also just been so much more active, he finally showed interest in being let out of the bedroom to explore the house. He's been very social and even cuddled up with me this afternoon to take a nap. I'm just so happy that he has finally pulled through all of this!

Catty1
10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh, my - what our furkids put us through!!!!

HUGS and that is SOOO great that he is eating and obviously feeling better.

I think after all the stress, you both need a good cuddle session together! :)

WHEW!

shais_mom
10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
aaawww I'm so glad
he's feeling better! :D

AmberLee
10-03-2007, 01:47 AM
... He's also just been so much more active, he finally showed interest in being let out of the bedroom to explore the house. He's been very social and even cuddled up with me this afternoon to take a nap. I'm just so happy that he has finally pulled through all of this!

Terrific news. I'm so glad for you all.

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2007, 03:32 AM
This is fantastic news! I am so pleased to hear that there has been an improvement. :D

ChrisH
10-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Great update, Laura, :D one I was so happy to read too. Love & hugs to you both.

jenluckenbach
10-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Halleluia!! :D Such good news.

Medusa
10-03-2007, 07:08 AM
That is such good news. Way to go, Corkscrew!

krazyaboutkatz
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope that he'll continue to be a happy and healthy boy.:)

Uabassoon
10-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Thank you so much to everyone who kept him in their thoughts. I was starting to think that he was never going to get better then all of a sudden he started acting like his old self. It's so nice not having to wake up at 2:45 a.m. to feed him before work, I now get to sleep in until 3 :D . He seems to be back to normal. He's actually begging for food! It's just so nice to finally have my little bratty kitty back.

Karen
10-05-2007, 02:51 AM
So good to hear! Thanks for updating us!

Barbara
10-05-2007, 02:51 AM
How wonderful!
And is it in any way clear why he was sick?
I am however glad he got over it. What a hard time for you. Now how about some new Corksrew pics?

Laura's Babies
10-05-2007, 03:31 AM
This is great news! Hope he continues on this road and stays well, happy and healthy! FEED him all he will eat!

jenluckenbach
10-05-2007, 05:08 AM
WOO HOO Corkscrew!!! :D :D

Uabassoon
10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Things have been a bit hectic for me over here between going to school and working full time, but I'm going to try to get some pictures of him soon! He is still going fantastic :D I'd say he is 100% back to normal, he's back to chasing Tibby around the house and biting me whenever he wants treats. When I get some extra money I want to take him back to the vet for a recheck and see how much weight he's ganied and just have the vet look him over.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
WOW!! This is fantastic news, Laura!! :)

Catty1
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Fabulous news! Yaay Corkscrew - and major kudos to your meowmie for sticking with you! :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2007, 11:33 AM
This is wonderful news!!!:D

Medusa
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Great news! :D

jenluckenbach
10-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Yippee!!!!

orangemm
10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Alright, Corkscrew!! Way to go, little buddy. You keep eating and eating some more.

What wonderful news!!

ChrisH
10-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Great news! :D

catmandu
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
THAT HAS TO BE THE MOST DIFFICULT DECISION THAT A PET LOVER HAS TO MAKE.
WHEN IS IT TIME TO LET YOUR PET PASS ON.
IS YOUR PET NO LONGER REALLY ENJOYING LIFE IS SO HARD TO DECIDE, AS I KNOW NO ONE WANTS THIER COMPANION TO SUFFER, YET YOU HOPE AND PRAY THAT YOUR LOVED ONE WILL SOMEHOW PULL THROUGH.
I ALWAYS SECOND GUESS MYSELF AS ONCE THEY PUT THE NEEDLE IN THE ARM, ITS TOO LATE TO RECONSIDER.
WE ARE PRAYING FOR CORKSCREW AND YOU, AND WE KNOW THAT YOU WILL DO THE RIGHT THING FOR YOUR DEAR FRIEND.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/Scan10219.jpg