PDA

View Full Version : Friend is going to be adopting a kitten from the Huntingdon Humane Society tomorrow

Anikaca77
07-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

My husband's friends Jen & Chris had a cat named Missy and sadly they found out she had cancer. She was having trouble breathing so they PTS. We went over to their house on July 6th after they had her PTS and Jen was there and she started crying and of course I was trying not to for her sake but ended up crying because I met this cat Missy sorta after my husband and starting dating 2 years ago and so it was hard to not see here there anymore.

They have a 2 year old cat named Zoey and just over this past weekend said if I heard of any sad story of any kittens that needed homes to tell her or just go and pick it up for her. So I was looking at the Huntingdon Humane Society on petfinder and found 3 kittens with Urgent next to them so I called the facility and I told them that I would like to pay for one kitten for Jen so my husband and Jen are going tomorrow to pick out one of the three kittens that have urgent next to them.

Getting a kitten from this Humane Society is a super deal right now.

All of their animals there are FIV/FELV tested, spayed/neutered, 1st set of kitten shots, flea med. if needed. All for $50.

I couldn't believe this deal and I called the Centre Hall SPCA and they only give you a voucher to get your animal fixed and it's an extra $10 at the vet to get them FIV/combo tested. Plus the cost of shots.

Well I will keep you posted on which one she adopts tomorrow.

Here is a link to petfinder:

http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?offset=25&limit=25&animal=Cat&sort=Identifier&tmpl=0&shelterid=PA145&lat=&long=&zip=&preview=

She is hoping to adopt one of the three: Sheba, Rudy or Robyn.

I'll keep ya'll updated!

Melissa

jazzcat
07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
They are so cute!

Any chance of convincing your friend that two kittens are better than one? I learned that after adopting Rocky and Rumor together from Kimlovescats. They played together and kept each other company. My first cat was Ripley who I got as an only kitten. He drove me crazy and nearly destroyed parts of the house because he was bored and needed a playmate.

Lizzie
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
How wonderful that your friend is ready to go right out and save a life. I'd suggest one of the tabbies since red females are somewhat unusual, making her more likely to be adopted. What is really best is for her to visit and see which one she feels a bond with.

Catty1
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
She'll have to see how she feels...but if she could adopt two, and think of someone who might take the third...that Urgent sign has me worried!

Anikaca77
07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Well I called them because I was worried since it said urgent but she said it just means that they have been their the longest and don't plain on euthizing them. They are just trying to get homes quicker for them.

She'll have to see how she feels...but if she could adopt two, and think of someone who might take the third...that Urgent sign has me worried!

Anikaca77
07-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Well Good news Robyn was adopted out already so she is down to deciding between 2 right now.

I don't think she wants to take in more than 1 one especially since they have a 2-yr old but we'll see what happens.

-melissa

jenluckenbach
07-19-2007, 04:27 PM
One by One pulls MANY cats from this Huntington shelter. I have fosterd several of them. So far they haveall be wonderful cats. :)

they do place the URGENT on cats when their time is growing near....but I heard stories that they do not admit to the public that they euthanise. :mad: My own county shelter is the same way. They won;t admit to the public the TRUTH!! And I don't understand why. :confused:

But, I am hoping that your friends will find a very special new baby at the shelter. :)

jennielynn1970
07-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I have been out to that shelter before to pick up a few cats for One by One, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how nice it was (compared to some that I've seen). It's not the easiest to get to (small side road not well marked, can't imagine getting to it in the winter), but the people there were super nice.

The one volunteer we work with there is named Sandy... see if she is there at all. She's super nice, and really loves the kitties.

I still have Calloway from that shelter, and Precious too. My mom adopted Shyla from them and her friends adopted Honey. They are just the sweetest kitties in the world. Monty, one of my other fosters, was from there as well. He was an awesome kitty.

catmandu
07-19-2007, 05:26 PM
We too are pulling for the adoption of both Kittens as Kittens do a lot better with someone thier own age and size to wrestle and play with.
And those two would make a great Kitten Dynamic Duo.

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for helping your friend find another kitty to love.:) They're all adorable and I hope that everything goes well.:) I'm glad to hear that Robyn was already adopted.:)

Don Juan's mom
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I got Don Juan from our local Humane Society on a similar deal: adoption fee included that little operation to render him incapable of BEING a Don Juan. Great, isn't it! :cool:

Liz

Anikaca77
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Liz,

Yeah it's a great deal. I can't believe the the SPCA does not do this because if they offered animals like this it would be such a great thing.

I got Don Juan from our local Humane Society on a similar deal: adoption fee included that little operation to render him incapable of BEING a Don Juan. Great, isn't it! :cool:

Liz

Anikaca77
07-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah that's very true. My husband wants to save the other kitten that our friend does not take which is great so we'll see how we are going to work that out. We don't have anymore room right now for another cat in the house so we think we might be able to adopt it out but of course we'll have to wait to see if they have already been adotped out yet or not. If they have been that's great.

Melissa

How wonderful that your friend is ready to go right out and save a life. I'd suggest one of the tabbies since red females are somewhat unusual, making her more likely to be adopted. What is really best is for her to visit and see which one she feels a bond with.

Anikaca77
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't understand why they wouldn't tell the public. Everyone knows that the SPCA does even though now they are trying harder not to euthanise them.

When I called Hungtindon several time and mentioned how I wanted to save these kittens from being PTS they never said anything until I called back one afternoon (not sure who I spoke with) and they said they don't do that. Which I thought was kinda odd that one person out of how many I spoke with told me that they don't do that. She said they just put urgent there to get the oldest kitten who have been their the longest homes. I'm just hoping that those 2 will be adopted by the time my friend gets there. But we'll see.

One by One pulls MANY cats from this Huntington shelter. I have fosterd several of them. So far they haveall be wonderful cats. :)

they do place the URGENT on cats when their time is growing near....but I heard stories that they do not admit to the public that they euthanise. :mad: My own county shelter is the same way. They won;t admit to the public the TRUTH!! And I don't understand why. :confused:

But, I am hoping that your friends will find a very special new baby at the shelter. :)

jenluckenbach
07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Did anyone get adopted???

Anikaca77
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes they adopted a young boy kittie and they might name him Merlin. I got to see him on Saturday and he's a real cutie pie. I'll post pics soon.