PDA

View Full Version : Stain Removal help, please...

rosethecopycat
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I've gotten a Sealer/Primer (waterbased) on a silk(like) fabric.
Tried to douse it with water. (that left light marks) and the sealer itself left dark marks.

At this point, I'm going to have to have the ottoman recovered for my client, so, I'll try anything.

Thanks folks,

Catty1
07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Call the manufacturer's Customer Service line for suggestions. They oughta know!

Or call the manufacturers of the fabric, or a very knowledgeable fabric store.

I looked up some tips - the first one is for paint itself: you can keep the bristles pliable by wiping the bristles clean and soaking them in water with a bit of fabric softener, May the FS would help?

Mineral spirits can be used on brushes to finish up cleaning....but I don't know if that would hurt the fabric.

Soda or seltzer water is also mentioned for silk in my other book as first aid - but this is for a garment, and it says to have cloths pressing on either side of it.

Is this fabric rayon?

That's all I got, hon!

Taz_Zoee
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm at work right now and JUST got off the phone with my mom (who is a dry cleaner) so I can't call her back again. But I will on my way home and let you know what she suggests. So this is on a piece of furniture, correct? I will post later.

rosethecopycat
07-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank you both so much.
It is a shiny fabric on a ottoman stool.
I don't know the content of the fabric, but tomorrow I'll flip it over and see if it says.

Taz_Zoee
07-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok, on the phone with my mom. She said if it IS silk and you rub on it it could take out the color. First idea, she says to try a paint remover, but not something with acetone. Test on a spot not visible to see how fabric reacts. DO NOT rub on fabric, only dab with cloth. Second idea, go to a furniture store and see if they have bottle of some cleanser or stain remover there. Or try a local dry cleaners. They may be able to give you a chemical that could work.
She is leery about it being a sealer. That may have "sealed" it on the fabric already.
Sorry if this doesn't help. Good Luck!