PDA

View Full Version : Rising from the ashes... the barn fire..

pitc9
07-18-2007, 09:19 AM
January of 2005 there was a barn fire across the street from my parents house that took the lives of 8 Belgium Draft horses. (6 died in the fire, 2 were pts after the fire because of their injuries, one was pregnant :( )
Here are the original threads:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=69373
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=69450

Daisy (who was pregnant at the time), Doc the gelding and Katie a mare are back at home now in their new barn with the addition of Mike, Daisy's baby!
He was named Mike after the passerby that stopped when he saw the barn on fire and started releasing the horses out of the barn!
The ironic thing is that the name of the farm is "Phoenix Farm"
The phoenix is the bird that "Rises from the ashes"
It was so sad to go in to the barn and only see a few horses, but the man is in very bad health and his wife does all she can to keep up with the work that needs done and work full time.

Here are a few pictures I took.
The first one is my nieces with Daisy.
And the second is of Mike, the "Baby"

sandragonfly
07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
OH mike is SO cute! I love his hairdo. :D going to be alfro eh mike?

so, only three horses survived? :( I bet it's weird to see much less horses there..

thanks for sharing this story and pictures.

cyber-sibes
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Angie, that is so sad. I don't think I ever saw the original thread. How heartbreaking. Your nieces look thrilled to be there, so cute! Beautiful horses. I hope things work out for this couple.

ramanth
07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
What beautiful horses. I'm glad they are doing well.

Marigold2
07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Oh how sad. Beautiful horses. Good luck to them.

K9karen
07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
So elegant and regal and lovely! Welcome home sweethearts!

CathyBogart
07-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Welcome home horsies. How sad for that family to lose so many of their companions. I hope things go well for them from now on.