PDA

View Full Version : Poop Box For the Disabled?

elizabethann
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
See my post here about the new kitty I'm adopting:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1863656#post1863656

Is there such a thing as a litter box for disabled cats? What do you think I should look for? Tripod only has 3 legs so I'm thinking something low to the ground. I was just curious.

catmandu
07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I would get a low Rubermaid box that is low yet wide so that Tripod can get in easily and yet have lots of litter to aim at.
I was so lucky that I got two boxes like that at the Amity for 3 dollars each as they are normally 15. but they are so well worth the price.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Please PM critters. She has alot of disabled kitties, she even adopted one from me not to long ago. She can tell you which to buy and where from! Hope this helps! She can also give you bunches of great advice about a newbie :D

Medusa
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
My Puddy's right hind leg doesn't reach the floor all the way; it's essentially useless so it's almost like she has only 3 legs but she uses the litterboxes just fine, no problem at all.

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
I would think that as long as she can jump then she should be able to use any kind of normal litterbox. They probably just used a normal one at the shelter too. You might want to ask them about her.

critters
07-18-2007, 05:49 AM
My tripods don't need special boxes, but these are EXCELLENT if you want to try them. http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Litterbox_for_handicapped_pet Ari, who has very severe CH, needs her 2; many of the others like them, too. I consider my tripods disfigured, not disabled, because they can do everything anybody else can do (just more noisily). :D

Thanks for the intro, Katie! :)

smokey the elder
07-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Smokey the Elder managed just fine after her amputation. She did prefer to use the lower-sided boxes, though.

catnapper
07-18-2007, 08:19 AM
No worries. Flutter uses all the boxes. She can jump and climb to anything she wants. Baby gates? She climbs them. Sofas? She jumps up. Beds? She climbs. I've seen her get to places I SWORE she wouldn't get to. Determination is a magical thing ;)

Just keep the front nails a bit longer than usual and your 3-legger will get anywhere they desire.

Again, congrats on your new kitty! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
No need to buy a special box for your kitten!! My 3legged Snoopy has NO problem at all to do "what she has to do", lol