PDA

View Full Version : Any mathematicians? Scientists?

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 08:28 PM
I'm a mathematician working on ALE moving mesh algorithms.:)

Cincy'sMom
07-23-2002, 10:07 PM
I have a BS in Biochemistry and came really close to getting a math minor, but got bored with it and didn't take the last 2 5 crdit hours I needed for that. I work on mostly in R& D for a small chemical company makeing polymeric detergents for the study of proteins within the cell membranes.

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I have a BS in Biochemistry and came really close to getting a math minor, but got bored with it and didn't take the last 2 5 crdit hours I needed for that. I work on mostly in R& D for a small chemical company makeing polymeric detergents for the study of proteins within the cell membranes. Good enough! Hey, you're my new colleague!;)

Karen
07-23-2002, 10:12 PM
I loved science in high school, but loved art more, so I went to art school. The only course that even had the word science in it was "Issues in Art, Science and Technology" which had almost nothing to do with anything, just whatever the prof felt like talking about. Sigh.

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 10:18 PM
In ALE, a fluid flows throught mesh to be anylized during an interval in time, the time step, and as the time step continues, the mesh becomes more greatly distorted until it must be given up and then recreated by a delta function whitch has to do with ratios and polar coordinates. The mesh is an analyzing algorithm for the fluid. Then the Eulerian method of steady state is used to complete the time step. In the Lagrangian method the time step is broken into two parts:transferring into acceleration and then mapping using the Jacobian method. To update the mesh, the algorithm warps to the polar coordinate ratio to x,y. This is done to measure fluid in fluid dynamics. I work at the Lawrence Livermore Labratory.

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I loved science in high school, but loved art more, so I went to art school. The only course that even had the word science in it was "Issues in Art, Science and Technology" which had almost nothing to do with anything, just whatever the prof felt like talking about. Sigh. I'm sorry for you. But hey another scientist! yes!:) I'm not alone...:D

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 10:25 PM
ah, yes, ALE is an acronym for Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian. Lagrange and Euler were mathematicians, if you didn't already know. Lagrange also invented the Lagrange multiplier.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-24-2002, 06:09 AM
I have a BS in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. I'm currently writing my Thesis for my Masters in Computer Science. So, I guess I'm a scientist.

lbaker
07-24-2002, 06:56 AM
I've worked for AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)for 15 years. We publish the weekly journal SCIENCE so some has rubbed off on me by osmosis.

p.s. Hey, it's good to be back:D Laurie

Karen
07-24-2002, 07:23 AM
Laurie!!!! Welcome back!!!!

lbaker
07-24-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi Aly, Sammi, Zippy, Phred, Paul - everyone....and Chuck, if you're lurking, hi to you too :p I'll try to be better, it's been a long, hot, unpleasant summer and I didn't want to bring everyone down. Things are looking up though.:cool:

aly
07-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Laurie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME BACK!

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You shouldn't roll your eyes at things you don't know yet, and hey how did you train those guys to be in sychronization? Its the one good thing about you that I know, beside the fact tahat you don't know where I live...Wait! My signature! Oh Gilgamesh...Well, I live in Haight and Ashberry! And St. Francis Wood! And the Mission! And Berkely! Hahaha! Thank you quantum mechanics...:D

mugsy
07-24-2002, 10:54 AM
Puffin, I was a geology major for 4 years, but then decided I didn't want to work in the lab or the field which, as you know in geology, kind of limits your choices! lol;) :D I then transferred to education and got my bachelor's in secondary education with a major in Earth Science and a minor in General Science. I later added U.S. History and as a result ended up with a teaching job in Social Studies, but did teach 6th grade Life Science for 3 years. My love though is still Geology...gotta love those rocks!! lol My favorite area is Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, and Volcanoes...of course all interrelated.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
Puffin, I was a geology major for 4 years, but then decided I didn't want to work in the lab or the field which, as you know in geology, kind of limits your choices! lol;) :D I then transferred to education and got my bachelor's in secondary education with a major in Earth Science and a minor in General Science. I later added U.S. History and as a result ended up with a teaching job in Social Studies, but did teach 6th grade Life Science for 3 years. My love though is still Geology...gotta love those rocks!! lol My favorite area is Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, and Volcanoes...of course all interrelated. I never really got into geology, but I loved and still love life sciences, my signature quote portrays that...Maybe the mathematics of variable volcanos and the radiation hydrodynamics applied to it bursting..;)

mugsy
07-24-2002, 11:08 AM
There you go...I'll convert you to geology yet! lol

Now....as for your signature...does that mean you're a DNA reject?? lol j/k.

I'm glad to see you're putting your efforts into a more positive vein...I appreciate it.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:11 AM
There you go...I'll convert you to geology yet! lol

Now....as for your signature...does that mean you're a DNA reject?? lol j/k.

I'm glad to see you're putting your efforts into a more positive vein...I appreciate it. yEs...hEhEhE Sorry I couldn't resist...:)

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:25 AM
I have a BS in Biochemistry and came really close to getting a math minor, but got bored with it and didn't take the last 2 5 crdit hours I needed for that. I work on mostly in R& D for a small chemical company makeing polymeric detergents for the study of proteins within the cell membranes. Alright...POP QUIZ...What is a prion?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Oh in the name of Franz Kafka...Is that a polymer growing out of your head!?;)

Cincy'sMom
07-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Puffin83
Alright...POP QUIZ...What is a prion?

Don't know a whole lot about them, but prion proteins are involved in certain diseases such as mad cow.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 05:02 PM

Don't know a whole lot about them, but prion proteins are involved in certain diseases such as mad cow. Good. Does a free falling electron emit e/m radiation?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Aright... Heres some basics:What is a function? What is the derivative of x,y also called?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Give me an example of an integral path...Whats a harmonic oscillator?...Believe me guys, these just the basics.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 05:16 PM
What does the line integral integrate? Whats the Riemann t manifold? If you have a mathematical symbol using system thingey mer jig, what is the function of the Aleph? Calcululate a triple integral.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 05:18 PM
What is the jhat used in calculating!~Hehe, more to come later...

mugsy
07-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Puffin...you're hurting my brain!! lol You sound like my physics prof Dr. Littlefield who graduated from MIT. Are you from Massachusetts??

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Puffin...you're hurting my brain!! lol You sound like my physics prof Dr. Littlefield who graduated from MIT. Are you from Massachusetts?? Ha! I'm your professor, "mugsy"! Hahaha!

kohala
07-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Umm.....I think its summer. Tired of discussing school stuff mister. We need a break from functions and x,y algebra/geometry/trigonometry stuff. :rolleyes:

As for the adults who are done with school and college....go ahead.....remember your old days! :D

The Marina, here - an alumni of Galileo. Popcornbird, it's his thread. It was suggested he start one to expound on. Which he did. Thank God for people 19 who love learning and thinking - even if they do get a little patronizingly pompous!! We need Frostfrog - think I'll buzz him. Puffin, you'd love him! Another male in an estrogen predominate world!!! Who writes divinely.
Oh, I am a knowledge freak - I started out in Fine Art and Design, found through a math course I had a talent for it, went into Physics, had to quit because I didn't do the professional student thing right, so entertain myself by following the leads of people like you, Puffin.

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by kohala

The Marina, here - an alumni of Galileo. Popcornbird, it's his thread. It was suggested he start one to expound on. Which he did. Thank God for people 19 who love learning and thinking - even if they do get a little patronizingly pompous!! We need Frostfrog - think I'll buzz him. Puffin, you'd love him! Another male in an estrogen predominate world!!! Who writes divinely.
Oh, I am a knowledge freak - I started out in Fine Art and Design, found through a math course I had a talent for it, went into Physics, had to quit because I didn't do the professional student thing right, so entertain myself by following the leads of people like you, Puffin. Thats really very exaggerated...I'm no Galileo or even a guy on the street. I'm just a blob who tries to look smart.:o

mugsy
07-24-2002, 10:45 PM
Ok...no "puffed" up heads now! GEEEEZZZZZ That was really bad...self admittedly...no excuses for that one! lol

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Ok...no "puffed" up heads now! GEEEEZZZZZ That was really bad...self admittedly...no excuses for that one! lol Thats one of few compliments but...That was funny! Really, this may be a dumb question, but does ones head become larger the larger their ego is, physically?lol

kohala
07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
If you lived in San Francisco, you'd know Galileo High School and the Marina district -

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:42 PM
If you lived in San Francisco, you'd know Galileo High School and the Marina district - Hey I meant that as a pun.:)

kohala
07-24-2002, 11:52 PM
---oh---:o

kohala
07-24-2002, 11:55 PM
OK so we have here Norweigan Puffin83 (a very good year) who lives in Florida and Bezerkely. Goes to Berkeley and works PT at Lawrence Livermore (I'd love to have made that decision when I was a young 'un).
So far, so guud.?.?

Puffin83
07-24-2002, 11:58 PM
OK so we have here Norweigan Puffin83 (a very good year) who lives in Florida and Bezerkely. Goes to Berkeley and works PT at Lawrence Livermore (I'd love to have made that decision when I was a young 'un).
So far, so guud.?.? D*mn those IP numbers...And I will admit that I am in fact ten years old and live in the terrible state of Florida and WISH I lived in San Francisco...:rolleyes:

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:15 AM
That would make you Puffin92!!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 12:16 AM
That would make you Puffin92!! Yes it would...Okay you found me out...:o

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:46 AM
And a Sagiterrian at that!! And mugs can't spell!

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Aha! The old Henry Higgins sign - according to an astrology book I once had! The thinkers.

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:54 AM
Hmmmmm......now we have our explanation! lol

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:56 AM
LOL - Can you imagine the Great Puffin and Popcornbird debate?? Now that would be prime time viewing!!! Better'n any political debate, or maybe the same - ?

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:58 AM
That would be Jerry Springer material if ever I heard it! lol Sorry guys...nothing against either of you...but....well...

mugsy
07-25-2002, 12:58 AM
Btw...do we have an astrological sign on Eliza Doolittle??

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Good question - I'm thinking Aries would work, but then I am one

kohala
07-25-2002, 01:00 AM
That would be Jerry Springer material if ever I heard it! lol Sorry guys...nothing against either of you...but....well...
AAWWWK!! Feathers everywhere!!!!!

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:01 AM
Now....guess my sign since I've tried to play moderator between these two?? lol

kohala
07-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Hmmmmmmm Balance Libra

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:03 AM
LOL - Can you imagine the Great Puffin and Popcornbird debate?? Now that would be prime time viewing!!! Better'n any political debate, or maybe the same - ? it would'nt last very long, seeing as how well, shes umm...slow, maybe...okay DUMB!

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:04 AM
Gee...ya think??? lol Yeppers...you got it! I am the definition of Libra...look it up in the dictionary and there's my name. I have a friend who is really into that kind of thing and she just laughs at me when I do this stuff.

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:04 AM
Now now Puff...no name calling....this is fun not nasty. Gee do I sound like a teacher or what?

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:05 AM
BRING IT ON, DEVILBIRD!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:06 AM
Now now Puff...no name calling....this is fun not nasty. Gee do I sound like a teacher or what? yes it is quite a lot of fun...

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Hey Puff...I notice you ignored the teacher reference...should I be offended?? lol:p

kohala
07-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Funny, I used to do charts eons ago - It led to my fascination with things mathematical. They're interesting, when viewed abstractly. OK, enough of that!!! Good night, y'all!

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Btw...I forgot to tell you, I noticed that my name will live in infamy now as part of your signature!! hehehee....I LOVE being famous!:D

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Hey Puff...I notice you ignored the teacher reference...should I be offended?? lol:p No, you're a smarty, but i was concentrating on how I would win this Bird to Bird debate...

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Night kohala...I think I'm heading that direction too....the dogs finally calmed down enough that I might be able to sleep.

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:10 AM
Actually Puff...I'm sarcastic is what I am...just ask any of my students...especially the ones I've made cry! lol

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:11 AM
Night kohala...I think I'm heading that direction too....the dogs finally calmed down enough that I might be able to sleep. No not yet!

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:14 AM
For you or me Puff?

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 01:14 AM
For you or me Puff? you, but I was joking.:)

mugsy
07-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Hun...I'm more than twice your age....I gotta get my beauty sleep....not that it will help...but it sounds good!! lol

Ok...I spoke too soon...Sophie, Jessie and George just went blonko again barking....my neighbors love me! lol

ramanth
07-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Anyone want to take my Pre-Algebra final for me? It's only the 4th time I've taken this class..... :( :rolleyes:

Although I'm doing okay this time... I think I just might pass it. :D

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
Anyone want to take my Pre-Algebra final for me? It's only the 4th time I've taken this class..... :( :rolleyes:

Although I'm doing okay this time... I think I just might pass it. :D I'll do it!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Where's my tail? mm...Time to[inhales]drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and fight! Duck! Theres a duck on my head! I dearly wish that could be said. Frostfrog!~~~This quality is decomposing like that of a mooning rump in a puffin nest...

ramanth
07-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Puffin83
I'll do it!

*laughs* I think you'd have a hard time convincing the instructor that you're a 25 year old female.

But thanks.

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I'm tall, and I've got a girly frame, really I do!

Puffin83
07-25-2002, 04:30 PM
(Somewhere in rural West Virginia)Jesco! Are you out daincin' somewor? And I said by god yes we gonna turn this car around and get my costly sunglasses. She said "But I'm tard" I said well you'll be sleepin in yo grave. Turn around and we're gonna get them costly sunglasses.;)

delidog
07-25-2002, 11:14 PM
so you are where in florida?????
have you been to san francisco?????
you might have a change of heart when you feel the weather

this is for puffin

Puffin83
07-26-2002, 08:26 AM
No way man, I've been there in SUMMER, the coldest, and I've experienced the fog. I love it, esp. east bay!