PDA

View Full Version : My 2 Basenjis

basi
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Here are pics of Cali & Kwame

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Both are beautiful. I love Basenjis, but I know I could never have one. They're both so adorable. :)

Kfamr
07-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Ohh... I recognize your two from another forum. :D Good to have you here on Pet Talk. They are beautiful.

critter crazy
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Awww.....they are adorable!!! Thanks for sharing these pics!

WELOVESPUPPIES
07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
OMGosh. I love this breed. We thought about getting one once years ago but never did. I will definately enjoying seeing your two on here and learning about them. Great pictures and absolutely beautiful dogs!!

Jadapit
07-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow, they are both stunning! I would love to learn about the breed. Tell us all about them. :)

Hellow
07-17-2007, 02:41 PM
:) They both look SOOOOOOO beautiful!:) Tell us about them because i have never read about Basenjis.:)

ps: Now you see why all of the kids at my school say that i smile too much.:)

basi
07-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Ok well here goes,
The Basenji is an ancient barkless hunting dog from Africa. They were used to flush out any game from the long grass into the pygmies nets. The first records of Basenjis on the African continent appear among the first dogs ever depicted in Egyptian engravings. They are a very clean breed and clean themselves like cats. They have a wide range of noises, they can yodel when they are happy to see you but can also howl if left alone or are unhappy about something. They are a very intelligent breed and are constanly trying to out smart you one way or another.

If you would like to know more just ask.

king2005
07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Alway loved the breed. My old VP in elementary had 2 champs (I think her female was top in Canada or ontario.. too many yrs ago, I just don't remember).. I'm sure both pups have passed on long ago, but they were cool dogs! The VP lived beside my friends cottage, so we got to walk the dogs all the time.. however they were not animal friendly :confused:

basi
07-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes that can be their downfall not being great with other dogs and being very prey driven you have to watch them with livestock. I have been very lucky with mine being ok with other dogs has also all my mums Basenjis.

cassiesmom
07-17-2007, 03:35 PM
There they are! I especially like the 3rd photo. They look so elegant and regal! What do they like to do? I'll bet it would be fun to go for a walk with them.

lvpets2002
07-17-2007, 03:35 PM
:) Your dogs are just stunning adorable.. I think I read somewhere that they can climb trees.. Is this true??

basi
07-17-2007, 03:54 PM
There they are! I especially like the 3rd photo. They look so elegant and regal! What do they like to do? I'll bet it would be fun to go for a walk with them.

Yes it is fun walking them but you also have to be on your guard incase there is any deer or any other wildlife come to think of it.If it is sunny like it is here at the moment they just like to sun themselves.

basi
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
:) Your dogs are just stunning adorable.. I think I read somewhere that they can climb trees.. Is this true??

Yes it is true they can climb trees and just about anything really. They are great escape artists so 6 foot solid fencing is needed for them. I remember my mum telling me about one of hers years ago, she had 6 foot chain link fencing with paneling on the other side of it and one her B's decided to climb to the top and walk along the paneling which was only a inch or so in width, she looked just like a cat putting one foot inline with the other!

CathyBogart
07-17-2007, 05:04 PM
They're gorgeous! I love basenjis. Welcomt to PT by the way. :)

Freedom
07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Hello, and welcome to Pet Talk. Your dogs look so regal, and the middle shot they could almost be twins, or a mirror reflection of just one dog. Almost; I DID spot ...ahem! ... a difference. ;) Are they fixed or a breeding pair?

Toby's my baby
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Wow, they are both beautiful! :eek: I hope we get to see more pictures of them soon!! :)

tikeyas_mom
07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
welcome to pettalk! I absolutly love the Bansenji breed! I was actually thinking of possibly owning one in the future, I love the tri-colored ones. How long have you owned this breed? Tell us more about your dogs. Do you show, or breed?

ramanth
07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I think Basenjis are so neat. My newest dog is a GSD/Basenji cross. :D

Seravieve
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh how I love Basenjis... Your two are just stunning.

Met one at a street fair once.. was really friendly.. and SOFT! ahhh so cute!

We thought our Bunny was a basenji mix.. as she is very vocal... and slim.. and the same color.. etc.. But probably not. =)

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Pet Talk!! :D

k9krazee
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Welcome to PT! I just love Basenjis, and your two are GORGEOUS!

3muttsandaboston
07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
What beautiful dogs. It's crazy how similar their markings are.

cyber-sibes
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
You have a very handsome brace of basenjis!

dukedogsmom
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
They are so cute! I love that one of them on the couch together. They almost look like twins.

basi
07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
welcome to pettalk! I absolutly love the Bansenji breed! I was actually thinking of possibly owning one in the future, I love the tri-colored ones. How long have you owned this breed? Tell us more about your dogs. Do you show, or breed?

Thank you everyone for the comments.
They are mother and son which is why they are so alike. Yes I do show them and breed. I have owned the breed all my life as my mum has been showing and breeding them for 40 years. Kwame is being used at stud for the first time in September so hopefully it will go ok being his first time and all that!! Cali has only had 1 litter but I am thinking about having another litter from her when we move back to the uk from Germany as the lines over there are more familiar to me.

pitc9
07-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!
Your dogs are Beautiful!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
What beautiful dogs!

4 Dog Mother
07-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Your dogs are just beautiful! I love the pictures of them. Thanks for all the information on them. I knew some of it but not about the climbing trees (and therefore needing high fencing) and that they had a high prey drive.

gemini9961
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Beautiful pups! :) I'd love to see more pics of them.

basi
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
More pics of them, the black lab was my next door neighbour and the Norwegian Buhund is my mums. :)

cassiesmom
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I really like the second from the left with all the sunlight, and the one on the far right. I like how their tails kind of curl up to their backs. Please give them a pet for me!

Vette
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Well i'll be danged!! i didnt know someone on the board has Basenjis :eek:

i love those dogs. theyre so cool. youre very lucky :D
an beautiful dogs

*LabLoverKEB*
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Awww! Your 2 Basenji's are so adorable! Thanks so much for sharing!

RobiLee
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi there and Welcome to Pet Talk!

You take great photos and your pups are gorgeous. I think Basenjis are a very interesting breed. We had a basenji in Katie's dog class and he was so cute. His name was Chaos and I thought the name fit him so well. He certainly could make some very strange noises..lol...and people thing Huskies make weird noises...lol.

I am really looking forward to hearing about and seeing more of your dogs. :)

sumbirdy
07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
They are wonderful! I love the way basenji's look, they always look so graceful and elegant. You have a beautiful pair.

Ginger's Mom
07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I, too, remember you from another forum, and have always thought that your dogs were gorgeous with a capital "G". :) And I know they are able to win points quite easily with their good looks and style.

basi
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
He certainly could make some very strange noises..lol...and people thing Huskies make weird noises...lol.

Yes they are far from quite..lol