PDA

View Full Version : Jumping!!!

SheltieLover234
01-06-2001, 09:32 PM
Well as you know I got my dog Goblin in late November.He`s perfect execpt he loves to jump on my little sister.What can I do?If anyone has come up against this problem please let me know!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sophies Daddy
01-07-2001, 12:22 PM
How old or big is your little sister? There are a several ways to cure Goblin of this problem, but it depends on whether or not your sister is big enough to defend herself.

If she is, having her lift her knee when Goblin jumps will make her look bigger and more threatening to him. After all, Goblin does not want a big, relatively pointy object in his chest. If she is even bigger, she can push the dog off as he is jumping.

If she is too small to do either, you can try the can of coins. Fill a soda can about quarter full of pennies and/or nickels and tape the hole shut. Keep the can with you and keep an eye on Goblin. When he starts to jump on anyone, shake the can to make a loud noise. After about a week, he should associate the loud noise with his urge to jump up on your sister and anyone else for that matter. He shouldn't want to jump anymore.

HowieDawn
01-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Sophie's Daddy, that's a good idea. I have never thought of putting coins in a can.

SheltieLover234, A dog we used to have would jump on us when she was a puppy. We used a squirt bottle and squirted her with water, she hated it and eventually stopped.

SheltieLover234
01-07-2001, 01:21 PM
well my baby sister is about 3 yrs. old,and is about 3 ft. tall give or take a foot.And I have also heard about that coin in a can thing i`ll have to try that to thanks so much!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RachelJ
01-07-2001, 05:12 PM
You could also engineer a training session with Goblin having a choke chain and leash on. As soon as Goblin starts to jump, a quick corrective jerk, and a stern "No jump". Be sure you know how to use a choke chain correctly if you want to use this method.

shais_mom
01-07-2001, 07:33 PM
You can also purchase a no-jump harness that you could put on him when he's around her.

Daisy's Mom
01-07-2001, 09:27 PM
The penny bottle works wonders!!! It stopped Daisy from biting when she was a puppy. But you need to be consistent with it.

SheltieLover234
01-08-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom:
You can also purchase a no-jump harness that you could put on him when he's around her.

ShaisMom,

I have never heard of a no-jump harness could you tell me more about it because I think that sounds so interesting. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

shais_mom
01-09-2001, 12:17 AM
Go to drsfostersmith.com and put a search for no jump harness, actually I think many pet catalogs have them, Its a simple harnes that like "hogties" their legs and they can not jump. The only time Shai jumps on me is when she is excited about getting out of the crate to potty, and I just can't see putting that on her for that. But they look very effective.