PDA

View Full Version : Update!

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
It's been a while since I updated..... quite a lot going on, some good and some not so good:

Good thing #1: I've got a job. Signed on the dotted line today!

Good thing #2: Am attending induction training in MELBOURNE next week, so may be meeting up with a couple of PTers.

Now the not so good:
- Will have to be away from Cali for a whole week - I KNOW she will be fine but I've never been away from her before
- W is still job-hunting - hopefully he will find something soon!
- I am having some HUGE health issues at the moment - my RA has flared up, I am also losing hair, and my eczema has flared up too. Also for the past two days and nights I have been having terrible chest pains. I KNOW it's all just stress, so I am TRYING not to get worked up by it, but it's sore and very upsetting :( Next month when my medical aid kicks in I will go to the doc for a full check up, get my blood tests for the RA done and get back on my Meds - can't wait till I can afford to start poppong the pills again :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you who have given me advice and support, it's been a very trying time - I'm hoping we are slowly moving towards a quiet normal life again!!

Karen
07-16-2007, 03:11 PM
So where are you living now, and what is the job that you're attending training in Melbourne?

Congratulations, and hopefully the hurting stops sooner than later.

lizbud
07-16-2007, 04:32 PM
So where are you living now, and what is the job that you're attending training in Melbourne?

I was going to ask that too. :) Sorry you seem to be falling apart lately :(
Hey, can't afford to do that now that you all are finally getting good news
for a change. :D Stress sure can do a lot of strange things to your body
but I hope ,when everything settles, you will feel so much better.Take care.

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
We are actually back in Bahrain. (When we moved to Lagos we stored all the stuff we hadn't sold) so it hasn't been like "starting over", but still a LONG way to go before we are back to where we were before.

The job is with a Aussie company (hence the training in Melbourne). I will be the Business Development manager for Bahrain, which is a wonderful opportunity as it allows me to move out of my previous technical-based pre-sales role and get into pure sales / account management. I've been wanting to make this move for YEARS, but till now have had no luck at all!

Of course some of you may know that the LAST place in the world we want to bring Cali up is in South Africa, so in the medium to long term I am hopeful that if i do well with the company, it could be the way we ultimately get into Oz!

Thanks for the good wishes!

Karen
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh, okay! Say hello to the camels for me! You'll be in our prayers, and I assure you, Cali WILL survive with you away. But now, with cell phones et al, you can call her every night!

Felicia's Mom
07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi, it is good to hear from you again!

Killearn Kitties
07-16-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm very pleased to hear that you finally have some good news! I hope the training goes well. and I can't wait to hear if you have a PT Meeting! :D

Freedom
07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
This is good news, glad to have you share it with us!

captain
07-18-2007, 02:17 AM
I am one of the PT'ers hoping to meet Miss Ally!!!!! :D
What with her busy schedule, and all!!!!! :D

Fingers crossed!

cloverfdx
07-18-2007, 02:44 AM
I hope you can get back on your meds asap Julie, and that they kick in and start working {{Hugs}}.

Me too Michelle :D... i am quite excited.

jenluckenbach
07-18-2007, 05:11 AM
It is good to hear from you. Good luck with the training.

Catty1
07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Julie, just remember the saying: "I'm so glad I'm back home, I'm glad I went!" :D

HUGS!

emily_the_spoiled
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
If you are worried about Cali, maybe you can tape yourself reading a few bedtime stories and Warren can play the tape if she misses you.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Oh Julie!!! it is great to hear from you again!! How is little Calie doing?

Don't you worry about losing hair, it will stop and grow back as soon as you are more relaxed :)

jennielynn1970
12-28-2007, 02:36 AM
*BUMP*

Just wondering how you are doing and what is going on since we haven't heard from you since September.

Are you still in Bahrain? Are you still training in Australia? Hope the holidays went well. Just checking in for an update. :)

Lizzie
12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
*BUMP*

Just wondering how you are doing and what is going on since we haven't heard from you since September.

Are you still in Bahrain? Are you still training in Australia? Hope the holidays went well. Just checking in for an update. :)

Using this thread for an update from you, Jenn - do you still have Allie or was Julie able to take her back now she's back in Bahrain?

Catty1
12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Lizzie - both cats are still in the USA. Ally is with Jenn, and Connor with emilythespoiled.

I don't recall any talk about her taking them back...but I guess it depends what is going on with them. They don't want to stay in Bahrain, and hope to settle in Aus.

So...maybe not a good time to get their kitties back, or even to get kitties at all.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Here's part of the problem.... I need to place Ally somewhere else. My friend, who has no where else to go, is going to be moving into my 3rd floor on the 31st of Dec. He's subletting from someone who just told him that they are moving out and breaking the lease. He doesn't have a legal claim to the apartment and is not on the lease... sigh. He has absolutely no where else to go. I have to place Sassy and Frankie back in the shelter this weekend, and I have no where to go with Ally. I don't know what to do. :( :(

The last I heard from Julie was in Sept. and she knows the issues I've been dealing with with Ally, and even said if worse comes to worse I should have her PTS because Warren won't pay for her to be shipped back basically. He wouldn't pay for her to be shipped here to begin with, and would have been PTS over there.

I do not want to have Ally PTS. That is not an option in my mind at all. The shelter I volunteer with can't take her because she's so aggressive with cats and people. There is a no kill that I'm going to try to get her into, but other than that, I don't know what to do. Jen L. can't take her either... so I'm really, really screwed.

My friend who is moving in has super allergies, which is why he's going on the 3rd floor away from my cats. I have to literally scrub everything down up there in the next 2 days, throw out the curtains, and let the windows open to air it out. He's going to be using a HEPA filter as well as being on numerous meds while he's in the house. Thankfully he works 3 jobs and won't be here all that much, but enough that he reacts within about 30-45 minutes that he needs to take the prescription meds.

I will not put her to sleep. I just can't do that. I just am not sure where to go with her at this point since Julie can't take her back. I don't even know when that would be possible in the future... I don't think Warren wants Ally back.

Julie and Warren were reimbursed for Ally's flight here, but there still is some money left after food, litter, and tons of Feliway. I have no idea if anyone can take her in, but she can be shipped if that would be a possibility. I don't know if anyone wants to take in a very aggressive cat... she does, and will bite. You cannot handle her without wearing gloves (like for wild animals) or wrapping her in a towel to restrain her. She bites whatever she can get ahold of... toes, ankles, calves, thighs, hands... you name it, it's fair game and I've been bitten there.

I'm really at a loss about what to do...

trayi52
12-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Good to hear from you. Happy about all your good news. Hope the rest turns out okay, and your hair starts growing back. They say it will grow back fuller.

Hugs,
Willie

jenluckenbach
12-29-2007, 06:38 AM
I have been feeling SO guilty that I cannot take Ally in. I know that I said I would be here for a back up, but I have 25 cats in this house. And since it no longer seems like a temporary situation, but rather a PERMANENT one, it is just not an option. Unless I ship all 8 fosters to another place and keep her alone upstairs. But 5 of the fosters are unadoptable and have come to think of this as their home. Would condemming them to the shelter (FOR LIFE) be fair??

emily_the_spoiled
12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Unfortunately it turns out Connor isn't much better. Unfortunately he is really aggressive towards other cats (he would be fine as a solo cat but not with others). So right now I keep him in my spare bedroom and let him out for a couple of hours every night while I put the other cat he is aggressive towards in another room and shut the door.

So I am not in much of a position to take her in either...

Freedom
12-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Praying for a good solution for Ally.

catmandu
12-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I wish I was closer as I could keep Ally in the spare bedroom and let her gradually get used to the Found Cats. But I am too far away and we are still working on Project Pouncer Roccalno rehoming, so I can only offer Our Prayers that Ally finds her Furr Ever Home and her place in the Sun.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I have been feeling SO guilty that I cannot take Ally in. I know that I said I would be here for a back up, but I have 25 cats in this house. And since it no longer seems like a temporary situation, but rather a PERMANENT one, it is just not an option. Unless I ship all 8 fosters to another place and keep her alone upstairs. But 5 of the fosters are unadoptable and have come to think of this as their home. Would condemming them to the shelter (FOR LIFE) be fair??

You have no reason to feel guilty... please don't think that. I'm feeling guilty enough as it is, but even with what Julie said, I still don't think that being PTS is the answer. I don't know what is at this point. I'm hoping on AID, or somewhere they can keep her at least so she can see other cats, even if within a cage??? She's just got no social skills at all (unless she thinks biting everyone around her is fun and we want that??). You're doing right by your fosters, and I have to do right by mine, and also my friend who has literally no where else to go. SIGH....

Lizzie
12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Jenn and Emily, neither of you should feel in the slightest bit guilty since you have both adjusted your homes, your lives, and the lives of your cats to an extreme degree in order to offer continued shelter to these cats. It looks like Connor will be with Emily for the rest of his life; she's going to spend years accomodating him which is a major sacrifice. As for you, Jenn, there must be few people in the world who are willing to offer the savage Allie a home. It's not in any living being's nature to offer themselves up as bait for a biter and, if she was out in the natural world, her alpha days would end in her own bloodshed or starvation. Stop lashing yourselves, you guys, you are heroes!

I'm not blaming the cats either for their natures, they are what they are. However, I just got back from the shelter where I had to take one of my fosters, Pidge, for a check-up. She's in renal failure and is close to the end. She was turned into the no-kill shelter when she was 12 and went into a decline. So, if I"m looking at setting aside a room for one cat, and all the adjustments surrounding that choice, it isn't going to be for a cat like Allie. There are many, many more Pidge's at the shelter and I'd put them way ahead of the list above any Allie's. I think you guys are very rare. I couldn't do what you have done and I don't think many other people would.

What would I do in your place? Look frantically for another place for my friend, then look frantically for another place for Allie, just as you are doing, then consider two options. Make her an outdoor cat and let Mother Nature deal with her (you would, of course, provide an outdoor shelter and care) or euthanize. I hope for your sake that you can find somewhere to take Allie because I don't think you would ever forgive yourself if you followed either of those options - but I think everyone here would understand completely.

Craftlady
12-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I feel bad for both cats and both gals who are trying their best to take care of them. Hate to say, this but think Jenn & Emily got the raw end of the deal. They are saints in taking these two cats into their homes.
It's hard to make decisions without emotions being attached. These two kitties are NOT your ordinary cats. Especially, Ally I would not trust her period after everything I've read to date. It appears being left alone for so long took it's toll before she came to the USA. IF putting Ally to sleep is the best interest for her, all the RB babies will take care of her.

Good luck gals, prayers going out to you both in the decision you are to make in the days to come.

lizbud
12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
What would I do in your place? Look frantically for another place for my friend, then look frantically for another place for Allie, just as you are doing, then consider two options. Make her an outdoor cat and let Mother Nature deal with her (you would, of course, provide an outdoor shelter and care) or euthanize. I hope for your sake that you can find somewhere to take Allie because I don't think you would ever forgive yourself if you followed either of those options - but I think everyone here would understand completely.

Whatever is decided ,I hope she is not just made an outdoor cat. I think
that would be pure torture for a cat that has never known outdoor life.

It probably would be kinder to PTS. It sounds like she has never been a
happy cat. I wonder what made her so aggressive with people?

Catty1
12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I just PM'd Jenn and Emily each a link for the Best Friends community in their state/county.

I hope they will help these women who have done so much for these cats, and also get the cats to where they might get a good home (Connor) or have a good place for the rest of their lives at BF (Ally).

Here's the link to other communities.

http://network.bestfriends.org/Communities/

Scooter's Mom
12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Whatever is decided ,I hope she is not just made an outdoor cat. I think
that would be pure torture for a cat that has never known outdoor life.

It probably would be kinder to PTS. It sounds like she has never been a
happy cat. I wonder what made her so aggressive with people?

From what I understand, Ali was a stray that Julie brought in while in Bahrain. Ali wasn't ever "tame", but the time she spent alone after Julie & Warren moved to S. Africa really didn't help any. I do know that jenn_librarian (jennie?) has been bitten and/or attacked multiple times. She's had a reading done by Nancy, which was not positive at all (towards Ali ever being a friendly kitty).

You are right and it may be kinder to have her pts, instead of living in turmoil the rest of her days. I don't know if anyone would ever consider that an option though.

My heart goes out to everyone involved - it's a terrible situation for anyone.

Catty1
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
There is also Tiger Retreat or some such in PA - I sent Jenn the link.

Who knows - with some intensive 1-on-1 and socialization, Ally may be able to at least spend the rest of her life at a sanctuary, whether Best Friends or somewhere else.

Prayers that all works out for Connor and Ally.

Lizzie
12-29-2007, 10:50 PM
From what I understand, Ali was a stray that Julie brought in while in Bahrain. Ali wasn't ever "tame", but the time she spent alone after Julie & Warren moved to S. Africa really didn't help any. I do know that jenn_librarian (jennie?) has been bitten and/or attacked multiple times. She's had a reading done by Nancy, which was not positive at all (towards Ali ever being a friendly kitty).

You are right and it may be kinder to have her pts, instead of living in turmoil the rest of her days. I don't know if anyone would ever consider that an option though.

My heart goes out to everyone involved - it's a terrible situation for anyone.

I remembered, also, that Allie was a feral or long-time stray. In countries where TNR is established, that is what would have happened with her and what would have been the best, but I don't think Bahrain is all that understanding of this method of dealing with ferals. Isn't this why Julie took her in rather than TNR'd her?

If Jenn can't tame her with all the one-on-one time she's tried to spend with Allie, I don't think anyone can. Perhaps there is enough money left over from the major donations so many on PT gave that a rescue can build a small house and enclosed run for her, it's about the best option.

kt_luvs_kitties
12-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Jenn, You know exactly how I feel about this situation.... I think you have done MORE for Ally than her "former owners" have...

I believe that Conner lucked out as well...

I pray that something can be done for her, as I dont believe this is her fault.

And like I said from the beginning, leaving her in a place, all alone, for that long, well.... That is abuse, in my opinion.
If they wanted her Put down, well, they should be the ones watching and having to deal with the guilt . Not you...

Good luck. *fingers crossed*

Catty1
12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Jenn has done her darndest to spend time with Ally and work with her - but she has other cats too, and a full time job.

That is why I am thinking a place like Best Friends - which, as a sanctuary, keeps animals for a lifetime, if need be - would be best for Ally. There is also another one in PA that I messaged Jenn about.

JMO - but if a cat like Ally is ever going to come around at all, she would have to be with people 12 - 24 hours a day. And not many of us can provide that time...we have to work (for luxuries like housing and food, etc! ;) )

emily_the_spoiled
12-30-2007, 08:07 AM
I want everyone to know that Connor is a great cat and really funny. The only thing is that he needs to be an only cat. Unfortunately that doesn't happen in my house and this is as close to an "only" cat as I can get. If I could re-home him to someone I would still be selective because he deserves a good life.

Julie was up front about both of the cats when she asked for our help. I think people are right, that the months where Ally was alone were not good for her. But there really wasn't another choice at the time because she couldn't go to Nigeria and Julie had no one in Bahrain who could take her.

But Julie loved her cats with all of their idosyncracies just as we love our cats with their quircks. She did what she thought was best at the time. We did not know that it would turn out like this.

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
While Julie was upfront about the cats, I did not know that she was this bad of a biter. Had I known she was this aggressive with humans as well as with other cats, I don't know that I would have accepted this task. I thought, well, she nips, how bad can it be. I never went to look at old threads about Ally, and did not know her background.

I do feel badly for Ally. She can't help the way she is... I think that it is just her way of behavior. I also believe that Julie loves these cats very much, which is why, to me, euthanasia is not a choice for me. Ally has been someone's pet, and one that has been loved (psycho kitty or not...) and I just can't handle the thought of me putting her to sleep. She's not physically sick. Mentally, if cats can be mentally sick, I believe she is. It's like dealing with a split personality, or schizophrenia, but in a cat.

I'm going to try Animals in Distress, which is a no kill sanctuary. It's a brand new facility, and is only about 20-30 minutes away. Their old facility I thought was a hell hole, but the new one is just lovely. I'd like to live there, lol!

So, will keep you updated, as this has to move fairly fast. Sigh. The boys from upstairs are now at the shelter. And, just for the record, we are not allowed to board cats at our shelter. First, Ally is aggressive, and 2ndly, boarding cats could lose us our non-profit license. So, that is not an option.

Catty1
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Jenn, if you do manage to reach BF in your area, you might find working with them a nice difference from some of the situations you described before.

I think they are looking in PA...volunteer, of course.

I hope you can get a message to them - failing all else, call the main # in Utah tomorrow, and get a contact for PA.

lizbud
12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm going to try Animals in Distress, which is a no kill sanctuary. It's a brand new facility, and is only about 20-30 minutes away. Their old facility I thought was a hell hole, but the new one is just lovely. I'd like to live there, lol!

That sounds like a good alternative. I hope Ally can go there. As long as
the people there know her history & flaws, it could be a great place for her.

Best of luck for the both of you. :)

loveallfurryfriends
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
All I can do is say a prayer for Ally & her foster mommy. Good Luck.

shais_mom
01-02-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm late coming into this - all I can do is offer up prayers for the situation.
I do know that Julie updated her LJ a long while ago and she was making some major life decisions that didn't include the cats.
I won't go into details as it probably shouldn't be public info.
With Ally's history I couldn't believe she was being subjected to the travel she was I am still surprised no one was injured in the transportation of her.
I'm sorry you are going thru this. It certainly wasn't fair to either of you for you guys to not know they were going to be part of your life until the end of theirs.
((hugs))

jennielynn1970
01-02-2008, 04:40 AM
Updated her "LJ"?? What is that?? Where did you get that post that you sent me, cause I have never seen it. I can't even find it on PT. She's never mentioned anything on that to me, nor has anyone mentioned those things to me in passing. But, yeah, the cats were not mentioned in there at all.

shais_mom
01-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Updated her "LJ"?? What is that?? Where did you get that post that you sent me, cause I have never seen it. I can't even find it on PT. She's never mentioned anything on that to me, nor has anyone mentioned those things to me in passing. But, yeah, the cats were not mentioned in there at all.
check your emails - you should have about 4 from me.

Kirsten
01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I just read the entire thread and I'm really sorry that I cannot offer any help; I wish I could. It makes me very sad to learn that things have turned out this way, it's not the way it was planned! Like many others here at PT, I gladly helped when we were collecting some money to ship Ally and Connor to their foster homes in the US, and I thought it was a wonderful thing of Jenn and emily_the_spoiled to offer their help and give both Ally and Connor a home until Julie is able to take them back.

And now Julie (or Warren) does not want them back and leaves it up to you to decided what's now going to happen to Ally, and she even gave you her okay to put her to sleep? :( Wow, that's hard to digest, to be honest. :(

And yes, I think we all knew that Ally wasn't easy to handle and had a tendency to show aggressive behavior, but I had no idea that it was that bad! I think it's wonderful off you to have her read by Nancy; and I'm sorry that it did not help much to improve things. Guess it's just Ally's personality that she doesn't like other cats, and humans. Poor girl!

I really hope a good place can be found for Ally; and maybe also for Connor; a home where he's the only cat, if that makes him happier.

Kirsten

phesina
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Jenn and Jen and Emily and all, here is another place that might be able to help:

HEAVEN'S GIFT ANIMAL RESCUE AND SANCTUARY: A non-profit, 501 (c) (3) organization
Dedicated to providing the necessary love and care for animals unadoptable, due to permanent injuries and special needs, as a result of extraordinary abuse and/or neglect.

From their web site (http://users.rcn.com/clarke86/Heaven_s_Gift_Website.htm):
------>
We do NOT adopt out our animals...nor do we foster or place animals elsewhere. Heaven's Gift Animal Rescue and Sanctuary offers a PERMANENT home for animals that have become victims of severe abuse and/or neglect...animals that have suffered permanent and lasting physical and/or emotional trauma and injury. We provide medical care and attention to special health concerns 24 hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week, for as long as they live. They become part of OUR family. We consider our mission an ever-rewarding labor of love.
-----------

Jenn, I just PM'd you the contact information. It's in Maryland! Not all that far from Pennsylvania?! (I guess depending on where you are in PA)...

Pat

Emeraldgreen
01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Jenn, I've been reading all of the posts in this thread and though I am not able to take in another cat at this time, I'm hoping an idea I have might help. I'm wondering if you think some Clomicalm might help Ally? I have two bottles of 5mg Clomicalm (60tabs) per bottle that were prescribed for my cat Paddy in mid October for aggression. Things have settled down here without needing the meds and I'm not sure if it's something I'll need to try with Paddy in the future but for now, the bottles are just sitting here gathering dust. One bottle has never been opened and the other is only missing one tablet. I know that it may not be ethical giving meds that were prescribed for one cat to another cat but in this case maybe it would be okay because Ally's options are so limited. I would be more than happy to mail them to you and who knows, maybe it will soften her personality enough to at least make her temporary situation with you more tolerable and her potential future living arrangements, wherever that may be, more comfortable for her. It sounds like she is dealing with issues that stem from once being feral and maybe she is angry for being 'abandoned' and this might not be an answer but it might take the edge off and make things easier.
Anyway, if you would like to give it a try, just let me know and I will send them in the mail tomorrow. I wish I could do more to help. Hope things get better for both you and Ally.
p.s. I will copy and post this letter in the Cat General as well just to make sure you see it.

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Emeraldgreen.... just sent you a PM! Thanks!

shais_mom
01-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Emeraldgreen.... just sent you a PM! Thanks!
insomnia again? ;)
its no wonder with as stressed as you are! :(

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 05:01 AM
insomnia again? ;)
its no wonder with as stressed as you are! :(

Oh Hush! Get back to work!! :p ;)

kimlovescats
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Nothing like being stuck with someone else's problems! :eek: Jenn, whatever you decide, you have my support 100%. I could not and WOULD not deal with such a cat. It's sad for Ally, but not fair nor healthy for you and your other cats!

jazzcat
01-03-2008, 09:05 AM
What a bad situation. I agree with Kim, I support your decision 100%.

Catty1
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Animals in Distress still hasn't replied to her, and BF said it may take a couple of weeks. :(

This is just awful...

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 10:26 AM
I've just emailed the place in Maryland as well. Will see what comes of it.

Cinder & Smoke
01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
BF said it may take a couple of weeks. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

WHAT did Best Friends say will take a couple of weeks ...

* To just reply to the request to home the cat
or
* To actually home or otherwise assist the cat
?? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

"IT" isn't very descriptive.

/s/ Phred

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Just to reply. I gave them every phone number to contact me at (I cannot make any more long distance calls from work... got reprimanded for doing so when we had an issue in Rochester last month :( ). I've been emailing every place I can, but no one has yet to even respond to say "Hi, we have your email and we'll get back to you." It's very disheartening.

pitc9
01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm so sorry for everything you're going through.

This is all so sad, all around. :(

As others have also said... no matter what you do, I support you.

{{{hugs}}}

Catty1
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Jenn - could anyone from the Rescue call BF for you, and put it on the Rescue budget?

PT Prayers for Ally!

Emeraldgreen
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Jenn, got home late today and just got your PM. I'll send them off tomorrow. Hope it helps. :)

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Just got this from Best Friends and have emailed them back already tonight...

Let's hope they can do something. (Animals in Distress has already turned her down :( )

Hi Jennie,

Thank you for contacting Best Friends Animal Society regarding Ally the Bahraini Dilmun Cat that you need help placing in a new home.

Oftentimes a rare or unfamiliar breed of cat can be easy to place but if Ally is aggressive, this could take some effort and patience. Can you tell me more about her aggressive actions? Does Ally instantly go after a person when they enter her room or does she wait until the person is too close for her comfort level? Does she bite or swat with claws or both? Are you able to pet her at all? How old is Ally? Is she spayed?

I look forward to hearing from you, Jennie, with more information about Ally and her behavior.

Kind Regards,

Tamara Fleck
Animal Help Specialist
Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Rd
Kanab, UT 84741
(435) 644-2001 x4843
[email protected]
network.bestfriends.org
www.bestfriends.org

A better world through kindness to animals.

If need be, maybe we could have some others email her and give more info about Ally??? I've tried to be as upfront as I can, and what she is like, and all that. Her past I'm not too clear on. I attached photos of her and also said she is a rare breed.

krazyaboutkatz
01-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Jenn, I sure hope that things will work out for Ally. Like others have already said, whatever you decide you have my full support. Good luck.:)

Catty1
01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Jenn - if you like, I can round up previous posts on Ally and put them together into a 'composite description'.

Seems to me you were able to be near her right at the beginning - and then she just turned - is that right? I guess she had settled in and was back to 'normal'. :rolleyes:

I think BF just wants to know what sort of behaviour they are dealing with here. Ally bites - when she feels people are too close for her comfort level (which changes rapidly) - is that right? But she doesn't attack when a person comes into the room - no one can get close to her, is more like it?

Split personality?

She doesn't use her claws?

Would it be fair to say she was a feral cat who did not have a normal socialization? ie, separate room from other cat, etc. I don't think that was possible in the apartment where Julie and Warren lived.

BF would have to 'start all over again' - if they are willing to do that. I guess they don't want to be too up-front about their 'permanent unadoptable' holding area, or they would be overrun.

I think it's really important for you to detail to them what you have tried to do (point form might be best for them - and you! Less writing.) Include the Clomicalm that is on its way...do you put it in wet food and hope she eats it? She'd be dangerous to pill!

It's really late here but email or PM me and I'll collect the info tomorrow.

HUGS!

jenluckenbach
01-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Good luck with Best Friends. (I knew would not take her)

pitc9
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh I hope Best Friends take her!!

jennielynn1970
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I just emailed Julie and asked for a bio of Ally to give the people at Best Friends of her history from when she got her.... hopefully that will give them some insight and get her some help.

Kirsten
01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I just emailed Julie

Good idea!!! Hope she can help....

Good luck with Best Friends!

Kirsten

Catty1
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I also went through some of Julie's posts and copied/pasted some note and sent them to Jenn.

Of interest: Ally joined the family when she was 4 weeks old. She would 'squeak-talk' and other stuff.

The 'issues' started when they brought Connor home. In one case, Ally glared hatefully at Connor - then turned around and bit Julie!

Connor would fight back if Ally picked on him - Ally once got an abcess that needed AB's.

There is ONE person Ally never bit - WARREN.

Hopefully this will give BF something to work with - I don't think they are saying no, they just need more info to ensure there is a therapy they can use with Ally.

A minor thought - I wonder if it was worse for Ally because a) she 'lost' her mommy, being adopted at 4 weeks, and b) she could not communicate with Connor as he is deaf. Psychotically frustrated because 'no one understands'?

PT Prayers for all involved.

emily_the_spoiled
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I think that adding to the mix is that they both wanted to be "top cat" in the household. Connor is trying the same thing here but I have dealt with it differently than Julie did.

Catty1
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Just curious, ETS - what is the difference in how you are treating Connor regarding this? I have a hunch, but want to hear your take first.

emily_the_spoiled
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I tried to integrate him into the house but he kept picking on one of the other cats (Charlie). I could not let that continue, so I put Connor in a spare room by himself for most of the day. Then when I get home from work I put Charlie in another room by himself and let Connor out for a couple of hours while I am there to supervise things. When I go to bed, Connor goes back into the spare room and Charlie comes out.

The spare room is a decent size and he has a window over looking the bird feeder in my front yard. He has a double bed to sleep on and toys to entertain himself.

I didn't know what else to do with him beyond re-homing him. (I even had Nancy do a reading on him)

Catty1
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay, I see - I think Ally has/had a separate room at Jenn's - maybe just one other cat who didn't bother Ally and vice versa.

Julie - seems to me their apartment didn't have any spare room. I might be recalled wrong.

I was thinking along the lines of someone taking charge - which you did, in a way - and showing the Alpha kitty who really is the alpha...kind of like one does with dogs, I think.

Wonder how to get that through Ally's skull? Tough love or just plain love? :confused:

Karen
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe Ally just needs to be an only cat. Even in a room all by herself, she can obviously still smell other cats in the household, and her behavior problems at Julie's seemed to begin when Connor was brought home.

Some cats are just not happy unless they are "only children." I wonder if there's someone - maybe a newly-widowed or otherise person who has no animals, but would like another presence in the house - that Jennie could find ... some older folks are reluctant to get a new animal because they worry what would happen if the animal outlives them, but Ally is an adult kitty, and not likely to live another 15 years or anything, realistically speaking, so that needn't be a concern.

emily_the_spoiled
01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
You are correct, Ally has a separate room at Jenn's place. She is by herself and she is still aggressive.

(Julie actually has a large house in Bahrain, but the cats were not separated. I am just been alot more structured about removing Connor when he has problems.)

jennielynn1970
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe Ally just needs to be an only cat. Even in a room all by herself, she can obviously still smell other cats in the household, and her behavior problems at Julie's seemed to begin when Connor was brought home.

Some cats are just not happy unless they are "only children." I wonder if there's someone - maybe a newly-widowed or otherise person who has no animals, but would like another presence in the house - that Jennie could find ... some older folks are reluctant to get a new animal because they worry what would happen if the animal outlives them, but Ally is an adult kitty, and not likely to live another 15 years or anything, realistically speaking, so that needn't be a concern.

There is no way, in my mind, that I could/would subject an older person with Ally's behavior being the way it is. None. I don't anyone would even want to try it out to be honest.

When she was with Autumn and Calloway, she was so nasty to Calloway, and he was limping and had a bad tail to begin with. She jumped right on him and bit him in the tail where he was already injured. That was just a hateful action. Cal is the sweetest, most docile cat, and she just pummeled him. From there she went to a room by herself. I will not allow her to inflict injury upon another innocent cat!

Emeraldgreen
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Jenn, I mailed off the meds but as mentioned in my PM, I marked on the outside of the box that it contained thumb tacks and office supplies so it doesn't get held up at the border. (unfortunately we have to list everything inside a parcel that is leaving Canada and entering the U.S.) I was trying to think of something that sounded like pills rattling in a bottle in case Customs decided to shake the box and thumbtacks were what I came up with. Anyway, just in case the box gets opened at Customs, I decided to actually put a package of thumbtacks and a pen in there and labeled the contents as 'office supplies' so it's not a complete lie. LOL
I once mailed some acetaminophen with .08mg of codeine that is sold here in B.C. without a prescription to an elderly woman who is a family friend living in Seattle and marked the outside of the parcel 'vitamins' and Customs opened it and confiscated it and sent me a warning letter.
So....enjoy the thumbtacks and pen! LOL
I agree, I would not give Ally to an older person. Our cat George who was once feral was previously adopted out to an older lady and he shredded her to pieces. Her arms were all scraped up and by the end of 6 months she was so terrified of him that she would actually run into another room to hide when he walked in to the room. It has taken lots of patience to get George to mellow out and he has to a certain degree but he reminds us every now and then (once or twice a week) that he still has his feral side by occasionally slashing and biting us. My husband does kind of act like the Alpha male with him by rolling him on his back and rough housing with him a bit. George seems to like it but you can see that he thinks that my husband is dominant over him. He reserves most of the biting for me, the docile food lady.
The description of Ally lashing out at the other cats and even another person when a cat entered the room that she didn't approve of also really reminded me of my other cat Stinky. For the most part she manages to 'tolerate' the other 'intruders' (as I'm sure she considers them) but sometimes out of nowhere she just launches herself on one of them or all of them and it makes me so mad because Jimmy is so gentle and sweet and the next thing he knows he's got Stinky pummeling him for absolutely no reason except that he made the horrible mistake of walking by her. Thankfully it has not resulted in any abscesses but she can get quite nasty. There have been times when she is visibly angry with the other cats and if I try to even pet her she takes a swipe at me with claws out and hisses viciously at me. I know if I tried to pick her up she would shred me.
When I first put her in our outdoor cat enclosure she turned into a wild animal. I didn't even recognize her. She was so freaked out by the 'new' surroundings and the fact that the 'others' were in the enclosure with her that I couldn't go near her for 7 hours. I wanted to get her out of there because she was so obviously upset but when I came within 3 feet of her she was absolutely wild, ears back, hissing, open mouth breathing. Finally after 7 hours she sort of let me handle her to get her into a cage to bring her back in the house and then she was fairly nasty towards me for about a week before she finally forgave me.
I know she would prefer to be an only cat even though she has never been an only cat. During those times when her Herpes virus flares up and she is sniffly and not well, we keep her with us in our room for up to two weeks without contact with the other cats until she is over it to make sure none of the other cats contracts it. The transformation of Stinky's personality during those times is so incredible and dramatic. When it's just me, my husband and Stinky, she turns into the softest, sweetest marshmellowy cat you've ever seen. The 'darker' side of her never makes an appearance until of course we re-introduce the 'others' back with her and then the old pattern continues.
I know this situation in no way compares to Ally because her aggressiveness sounds like it is much worse but it does make me think that down the road, maybe a couple or a single person (who aren't/isn't old) who don't have another cat or dog in the house might be able to provide Ally with a home where she could be Queen.
When I read Ally's Bio that Karen posted in Cat General today I was so surprised to read about the other side of Ally where she casually lounged on top of the computer monitor and played with fuzzy balls that she 'hunted' and seemed to enjoy her family. It was sad to read because she is so obviously different right now but it was also hopeful because the 'old' Ally is in there somewhere and hopefully a wonderful future is waiting for her. Miracles happen and I'm going to keep praying. :)
p.s. I wanted to buy some fuzzy balls for Ally and include them in the package but I didn't want to delay sending it off any longer so unfortunately I didn't pick any up. :(

Catty1
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
There's hope? Read about the special rooms at Best Friends...and maybe we could chip in a sponsor Ally? The website says $25 - but I don't know if that is per month or what. (there are over 80 cats waiting for sponsors! :( )

Jenn - maybe if a few people PM'd you, and you could tell BF that Ally can be sponsored...I know it is just after Christmas, but if a bit could be chipped in...heck, are there enough "Ally" funds left over to sponsor her? ;)

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cfm?page=news&fps=1&mode=entry&entry=35FBE50E-BDB9-396E-9ED4242D0C30638C

http://news.bestfriends.org/resources/news/images/SI_Lois16.jpg

"Last year, several animals from around the sanctuary came up with New Year's resolutions. Lois the cat, who has an ornery streak, resolved to harass as many people as possible. And guess what? She did pretty well all year long and then failed miserably right at the end by turning into a (mostly) gentle gal. That's sort of like Evel Knievel trading in his motorcycle for a Segway people mover."

"Lois has been a feisty girl since day one at Best Friends. Her favorite pastime used to be perching on a tall scratching post in one of the cat lobby areas, and then waiting for some unsuspecting visitor to scare. She's no stranger to hissing or swatting. But in the end, seems all she needed to become a gentler Lois was a little privacy. She just doesn't like other cats!"

"After moving into the Cinders Suite, a room reserved for cats who prefer to live alone, she has mellowed out in a huge way. Caregivers can now brush her and trim one toe every other day or so. That's huge. Even so, Lois still knows how to let out a good hiss every now and again to remind people she hasn't lost her spunk. She's just playing it cool in her new private studio apartment. We're glad things have worked out for you, Lois, but better luck this year making a resolution you're sure to keep!"

Cinder & Smoke
01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I just emailed Julie and asked for a bio of Ally to give the people at Best Friends
of her history from when she got her ....
hopefully that will give them some insight and get her some help.

From an article describing Best Friend's "Dog Town" ...

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Admissions Policy

Clearly, Best Friends cannot bring every homeless pet to this sanctuary. That's why, through the Best Friends Network, we offer numerous solutions to people who have a pet at home or have just rescued one, and feel they cannot, for whatever reason, care for him or her themselves. The best place for these pets is in a good home. And the best chance for a good home is usually right there in their own neighborhood.

Our admissions team usually only accepts animals from other shelters and rescue groups - and that's after all other options have been exhausted. So if you're looking for help with a pet who is already part of your family, or you've rescued a homeless pet in need, it's best not to assume that they can or should come to the sanctuary.

Instead, please check out http://network.bestfriends.org (http://network.bestfriends.org/) for resources regarding your community and your situation. You'll find communities for each state in the United States and many parts of Canada, as well as for just about every kind of animal welfare issue.

You can also post a lost/found poster or adoption request on the Network.

You can also find lots of helpful tips, articles and resources at: www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets (http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets)

When you've done that, you can also contact our Animal Help office at [email protected] ([email protected]) or at 435-644-2001 Ext. 4800. Our team here may be able to supplement the lines you're pursuing on the Best Friends Network. They receive approximately 500 calls for help each week, so they check new inquiries every day and set priorities based on the urgency of each situation. An Animal Help specialist will respond to you as quickly as possible based on the urgency of your request.

Thank you for being part of the solution.
------------------------------------------------------
Above taken from the BF Admissions Policy Statement at:
http://www.bestfriends.org/aboutus/admissionspolicy.cfm

/s/ Phred

<!-- END CENTER COLUMN -->

jennielynn1970
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Admissions Policy

Clearly, Best Friends cannot bring every homeless pet to this sanctuary. That's why, through the Best Friends Network, we offer numerous solutions to people who have a pet at home or have just rescued one, and feel they cannot, for whatever reason, care for him or her themselves. The best place for these pets is in a good home. And the best chance for a good home is usually right there in their own neighborhood.

[b]Our admissions team usually only accepts animals from other shelters and rescue groups - and that's after all other options have been exhausted.

Most other options are gone. Other shelters in the area have turned her down, and the only other option is to put her in a kill shelter.

This ISN'T Ally's neighborhood. That would be Bahrain. And bacck there she'd be put to sleep very quickly.

She has to have suffered emotional trauma at some point. Normal cats donot behave the way he does.

Catty1
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Ally's aggressiveness is a major factor - and perhaps Jenn could place Ally with BF through the rescue she is with.

That's why I posted about Lois in #73.

The initial answer that Jenn got from BF was a few more questions, not a refusal. So we'll see how that goes - especially if Ally can be sponsored (she had some funds left from her travel donations).

Lizzie
01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm holding my breath that B.F. can do something to help Ally (and Jenn). They have to see that this is a really serious situation for cat and humans. She'd create quite a good story for them, especially coming from Bahrain, and sanctuaries have to think that way. However, I believe there is only one Cinders suite at the sanctuary. It was created for a very elderly cat (Cinders) who was 23 when she died last year, about a year after they created the suite for her. It's a pity Lois had to take it over before they heard about Ally, although I think Lois has been rather a liability for many years having shredded scores of visitors and volunteers.

Catty1
01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I wonder how much it would take to build an "Ally" suite?

jennielynn1970
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Still waiting to hear something from BF. Sigh....

I just emailed Tamara from BF again... I'm really hoping to hear something from her. I just feel like I'm fighting with the shelters for Ally all by myself...

I emailed Julie to get more info on Ally, but gee, no surprise, she hasn't responded. I mean, it's not like she's responsible for her own cat or anything... I'm just disgusted and frustrated with this whole situation.

Lizzie
01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I tried a little something by emailing some of the people I've corresponded with on the Best Friends network for the past few years, ones I know volunteer there regularly, but I don't know them well and they've just toed the party line saying you can only go through the help source you are already trying.

The rescue group I belong to finds barn homes for many cats who are difficult or impossible to place in homes for various reasons. I hasten to add that these are homes that offer well protected, sometimes heated, sheltering places for the cats and plenty of food, water, etc. They are monitored carefully by the group so they can be taken in for vet care when needed. If I found myself with an Ally, that's the route I would take. Of course, our climate is milder than yours in Pennsylvania.

Did the PA community of the B.F. network ever get hold of you? The one for my state sees barely any traffic, so it might be the same way for yours. I feel completely frustrated by my inability to help.

Kirsten
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Any news, Jenn?

Kirsten

pitc9
01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I wonder how much it would take to build an "Ally" suite?

Ohhh... good point!

It could be partly funded by Ally's friends at Pet Talk!! A long shot sure... yet well worth a try. Materials could be donated. (wood... nails... etc)

Kirsten
01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Ohhh... good point!

It could be partly funded by Ally's friends at Pet Talk!! A long shot sure... yet well worth a try. Materials could be donated. (wood... nails... etc)

Like that idea! :)

Kirsten

jennielynn1970
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Haven't heard anything yet....

Not sure how much an "Ally" room would cost, or if that's is something they'd go for. Would be nice, but sounds costly.

Will let you guys know when I hear anything.

Catty1
01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Jenn, I sent you a PM :)

jennielynn1970
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Heaven's Gift has turned Ally down. They said she doesn't meet their qualifications for abuse or neglect.

Edit to explain that they do take in some serious abuse cases.... so it's not like they don't consider her neglected or whatever, but they provide hospice care. I just wanted to clarify that.

Lizzie
01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry, Jenn, that's very disappointing though I can see why they would feel they had to turn her down.

As for a special suite for Ally at B.F., I think the main problem would be how they would add it on to one of their buildings. From what I've seen online, all their cat housing units are circular with outside runs almost all around the unit, so each room is like an orange segment, fitting into the whole. With a rectangular building, adding on is feasible, but not with a round one. They have quite a bit of temporary housing and perhaps they could be persuaded to use part of that, especially since they are trying to close out Pahrump and will be bringing those units back. A cat in isolation takes up more staff time so she would certainly need to be sponsored.

phesina
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry to learn this, Jenn. I was so hoping it would be a good new home for Ally.

Pat

Heaven's Gift has turned Ally down. They said she doesn't meet their qualifications for abuse or neglect.

Edit to explain that they do take in some serious abuse cases.... so it's not like they don't consider her neglected or whatever, but they provide hospice care. I just wanted to clarify that.

Catty1
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Jenn - I emailed BF - and used all upper case ATTN: TAMARA

I gave her some more details and backup information, and the possibility of some funding for Ally, maybe even her own room

Hope that helps!

jennielynn1970
01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
While having her own room sounds like a nice plan, I don't see it as a realistic endeavor at this point. I mean, it takes a lot of money, a lot of manpower, architects, permits and all the other things involved with adding an addition on to any building. I'd just be happy if they could take her in.

Craftlady
01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
While having her own room sounds like a nice plan, I don't see it as a realistic endeavor at this point. I mean, it takes a lot of money, a lot of manpower, architects, permits and all the other things involved with adding an addition on to any building. I'd just be happy if they could take her in.

I agree Jenn, just happy if they take her.
PT donations arent going to be able to add up to what a building addition would cost. I'm guessing, minimum $20,000 that probably gets you a floor and no roof LOL

Catty1
01-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I wasn't implying that PT would pay for the whole thing. Lizzie said they are trying to close up Pahrump and bring some units back - maybe just a reno would be needed for the short term.

I think just being willing to sponsor would be an incentive...and Ally would make for a great story...

PT Prayers for Ally!

Catty1
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Jenn got an email from the lady at BF (I had emailed her too). I hope Jenn doesn't mind me mentioning something about this...but the BF said they had no room (understandable), but gave Jenn a list of links and suggestions and stuff to try.

HECK, she has done EVERYTHING.

I logged into BF PA, and couldn't find a place to post an URGENT notice. So I finally just messaged the moderator. :mad:

This cat needs a SPACE!

I've tried to Google places for Special Needs cats in PA, and can't find any.

HELP!

And Julie isn't answering her emails....who knows, Ally might be fine if she was with her again and the only cat (no, no more flights. Just a thought.)

Does anyone have a spare room? Just give her a fairly wide berth and you'll be ok.

:(

Jenn might have to do the unthinkable, and that is the last thing she wants to do.... :( :(

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Ok, my resources are tapped. The shelter that I volunteer for wants nothing to do with Ally. My only promised backup cannot take her (although she still can take other fosters... ). If this comes out sounding bitter, it is. I'm just so upset that Julie has not been in contact, she has just vanished and is gone. Even her Live Journal on GMail is deleted.

What I am going to do is go to my mom and dad and go through their friends who have large, enclosed barns and see who would be able to take her. I can't guarantee she would flourish in that environment, but she'd have a chance. My parents live in the Poconos, and while we don't have an active farm any longer, many of their friends do.

So, this will be my quest. To get her a safe, warm, and hopefully a semi-happy and more at peace than she is now. Right now, I would not want to be her. I would not be a happy camper.

Will let you know what will happen. I'll make sure that any funds go with her to the farmer for her food and vet care. I have some large bags of Nutro that was just given to me, so they can go with her as well.

I look at that little face, and she breaks my heart. I know she doesn't want to be mean. I just can't think that she wants to be unloved. I'm sitting here in tears because she makes me so sad for her. I want to cuddle her and love her and make her feel safe and better, and she won't let me. :(

So, that will be my birthday present to Ally... I don't want to just desert her the way her owners have. She's just an innocent creature. She doesn't deserve that.

Gonna go get ready for work. Have been up cleaning since 3:30am since I couldn't sleep.

Lizzie
01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
You have made a good decision and I hope your parents' friends can come through. Ally has reached a point in a her life where she can only feel aggression towards other living beings so this may be the beginning of a better life for her - we will all hope so. I know you will feel guilty because we all do, no matter what extreme measures we have taken to care for our pets/fosters, but no-one here will believe you should feel any guilt at all. You have always gone way beyond what anyone else would do to care for Ally.

My rescue group who places in barn homes that are unheated use lots of straw bales and blankets to create snuggle places within the barn. Of course, if there are other animals in the barn (large ones that she won't want to bite) their body heat will help.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 07:34 AM
My only promised backup cannot take her (although she still can take other fosters... ).

I am sorry :-(

I will relocate all of my fosters so Ally can come here. Nova and Lizzie and Carolyn and my beloved DaVinci will have to go live out their lives in our shelter. Cameo and Marilyn might find place in an adoption cage at Petsmart, but Cameo tends to hurt herself when left overnight in a cage. Hopefully she won't, this time. And Frazzle will just have to STAY at Petsmart whether she gets adopted or not. I'll pray that a foster home has room for the babies because they are sick and can't go to the shelter. :(

Then Ally can have my 3rd floor with no chance of hurting another cat.

You'll just have to give me time. And then I can be the one who is bitter. :mad:

pitc9
01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Look at what this has come too..... :(

People open their hearts, homes and checkbooks to help someone that ACTED like they gave a damm and as soon as it was off their conscious dropped off the face of the earth and left all kinds of havoc behind. :mad:

This is horrible..... 100% horrible for everyone involved, people and animals.

No one would want Ally to go to the farm, but EVERY opion has been looked into. It is terribly sad that her only option and hope for a normal life is to be in a barn, but it's better than the only other option. (being PTS)

I think the best thing for everyone involved would be for her to go to the barn. Who knows, maybe she'll love it and flurish there!!
You have given her everything and you've tried everything.

{{{{HUGS}}}} all around.

Craftlady
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
So sad of a situtation. Jenn, you are doing beyond and above for Alley.
You have every right to feel bitter towards the whole situation with her owner.

I'm a firm believer that good things can come out of bad situations. Will keep good thoughts and prayers for you and Alley.

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

You'll just have to give me time. And then I can be the one who is bitter. :mad:

I would never ask you, or want you to do that. And I know you are sorry.

I'm just frustrated and sick and tired, and I had hoped I could count on your for backup like you said I could.

I'm sorry for making you feel like that. It's been a crummy week.

Catty1
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I have emailed Cats in Crisis and BF in PA for suggestions - they just have email forms! Darn!

But I gave them Jenn's email address - I HOPE they can help her.

PT PRAYERS, everyone, please!

FWIW, Julie was also hurt because she LOVED Ally, and Ally would not let herself be loved....she would bite. "Why is she doing this?" Julie cried.

If there are family troubles - with all the family has been through, that would not surprise me - maybe Julie CAN'T respond...

Prayers to all involved.

Uabassoon
01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I think sending Ally to a farm sounds like a really good idea. My guys would hate it as they are so spoiled and can't stand not having a lap to sit on, but for Ally it sounds like a really good solution. Wasn't she feral to begin with? I bet she'd enjoy having a farm to run around plus she'd still get to see people so she wouldn't feel so alone. My grandparents live on a farm and their farm cats always seems happy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will all work out for Ally!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
People open their hearts, homes and checkbooks to help someone that ACTED like they gave a damm and as soon as it was off their conscious dropped off the face of the earth and left all kinds of havoc behind
I have to say I agree with this from what I have read so far

I also believe that Julie loves these cats very much you are far more charitable than I am

However, as neither of my comments are constructive I will just shut up now but wish you and Ally all the best for the future

Lizzie
01-10-2008, 10:58 AM

I will relocate all of my fosters so Ally can come here. Nova and Lizzie and Carolyn and my beloved DaVinci will have to go live out their lives in our shelter. Cameo and Marilyn might find place in an adoption cage at Petsmart, but Cameo tends to hurt herself when left overnight in a cage. Hopefully she won't, this time. And Frazzle will just have to STAY at Petsmart whether she gets adopted or not. I'll pray that a foster home has room for the babies because they are sick and can't go to the shelter. :(

Taking yourself out of the fostering loop for at least the next ten years would be an appalling waste of resources. Although I believe in looking at each cat as an individual, at some point you have to look at how much money, space, time, and individual effort you are expending on one cat to the detriment of many, many others. Ally will live in a barn and cope. I have a gut feeling that she will actually thrive in such an environment, as long as she is offered good protection from the elements.

Didn't you make this offer before anyone knew just how very aggressive Ally had become?

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
and I had hoped I could count on your for backup like you said I could.

I will not go back on what I said.

When can I come get her? Then she will no longer be your responsibility.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Didn't you make this offer before anyone knew just how very aggressive Ally had become?
Yes, but that doesn't make it an invalid offer.

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I will not go back on what I said.

When can I come get her? Then she will no longer be your responsibility.
I agree with Lizzie and Laura - I think Aly will THRIVE in this environment.
Jenn Luckenbach I really don't think that Jenn is going to hand Ally over to and make her YOUR problem.
I thought you 2 were friends? I wasn't even entirely sure she was talking about YOU until you made a point to show everyone it was you.

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Jen - No, you are not going to do this. Don't even think it. Seriously. I will find a barn home for her, and you will keep doing the wonderful things that you do with your fosters. They will not suffer because of one cat. I won't allow that either.

pitc9
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Taking yourself out of the fostering loop for at least the next ten years would be an appalling waste of resources.

I 100% agree.

pitc9
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Taking yourself out of the fostering loop for at least the next ten years would be an appalling waste of resources.

I 100% agree.

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with Angie x 2. There is no reason for Jenn Luckenbach to take herself out of the fostering loop.
And I agree that it is so sad that this situation as come to this. People opened their hearts temporarily for these cats and I don't think Julie had any intention of it being temporary.
And now people are bickering at each other.
Such a sad story

Grace
01-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Taking yourself out of the fostering loop for at least the next ten years would be an appalling waste of resources. Although I believe in looking at each cat as an individual, at some point you have to look at how much money, space, time, and individual effort you are expending on one cat to the detriment of many, many others. Ally will live in a barn and cope. I have a gut feeling that she will actually thrive in such an environment, as long as she is offered good protection from the elements.

ITA with these thoughts. To sacrifice literally dozens of cats, for one, is total nonsense. Give Ally a chance at the barns. As others say, she may thrive there.

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm not trying to bicker.... I'm just in a foul mood. :(

Jen L. does wonders with her fosters, I'd never want her to give up the ones she has to take in the demon cat from hell, errr... I mean, Ally.

jazzcat
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Jen - I think we all agree that you sending back all your fosters and turning down all those future fosters the next several years just to accommodate Ally is not the answer and no one could possibly be angry at you for not doing that. It's obvious Jenn sees that too but being the one left holding the bag is hard to deal with. In her spot I would have probably made the same comment and then regretted it immediately because hurting you would not have been my intention, it's just the way I vent frustration. I think venting her frustration was all Jenn was doing and we can all understand why, this is a horrible situation.

Jenn, I still say I support your decision 100% whatever it may be because you are the only one here who has had to deal with this aggressive cat for all these months and apparently Julie doesn't want to have a say in this any longer. Very sad.

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I look at that little face, and she breaks my heart. I know she doesn't want to be mean. I just can't think that she wants to be unloved. I'm sitting here in tears because she makes me so sad for her. I want to cuddle her and love her and make her feel safe and better, and she won't let me. :(

Bears are cuddly too -
DON"T DO IT! ;)

I know you know better anyway!

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I am not trying to bicker. And I am not angry with my FRIEND Jennie..... I was just trying to fullfill my end of the bargain. I know that throwing away a foster home (when there are so few) would be simple stupidity, but more importantly I never want it said that my word can't be trusted.

I am angry at Julie for not keeping in proper communication with Jennie. We all knew that the time frame was uncertain, but frequent status updates are the least Julie could have done.

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I am not trying to bicker. And I am not angry with my FRIEND Jennie..... I was just trying to fullfill my end of the bargain. I know that throwing away a foster home (when there are so few) would be simple stupidity, but more importantly I never want it said that my word can't be trusted.

I am angry at Julie for not keeping in proper communication with Jennie. We all knew that the time frame was uncertain, but frequent status updates are the least Julie could have done.
agreed.
She seems to have let herself fall off the face of the earth where these cats are concerned and that is not fair.

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm not trying to bicker.... I'm just in a foul mood. :(

Jen L. does wonders with her fosters, I'd never want her to give up the ones she has to take in the demon cat from hell, errr... I mean, Ally.
That's why I think you should FLY down to get WOODY. YOU NEED A VACATION! even if it a super short one!!

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Ok, so next time I'm in a foul mood, I vent to myself, and not while writing.

I think this has become more than we both could bite off and chew (Ally, that is). Let's leave it at that, ok? I didn't want to make you upset, I'm so sorry I have. (((((((HUGS))))))) of forgiveness?? :(

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
(((((((HUGS))))))) of forgiveness?? :(
Could this include some brownies??? ;)

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} back atcha!

Lizzie
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Veering nicely off the main topic, who is Woody? I know I don't read all the threads, no time with all my special needs fosters, so I deserve not to know - but still want to know. Is this a special back scratcher to relieve Jenn's tensions? Or a special pillow with aromatic wood shavings to cure her insomnia? Or, good grief, is it a cat?

shais_mom
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Veering nicely off the main topic, who is Woody? I know I don't read all the threads, no time with all my special needs fosters, so I deserve not to know - but still want to know. Is this a special back scratcher to relieve Jenn's tensions? Or a special pillow with aromatic wood shavings to cure her insomnia? Or, good grief, is it a cat?
no
its a puppy! :p http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=137634

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Or, good grief, is it a cat?
WORSE! It is a DAWG!!! :eek: :p (LOL)

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I can make you brownies!!! Do you want plain chocolate, cheesecake brownies, or maybe caramel chocolate brownies?? All come adorned with cat hair! :p

pitc9
01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I'll make Peanut Butter brownies!
But mine won't have cat hair, only dog hair!
Feel free to top with the cat hair of your desire!! :p

Kirsten
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm saddened to read to what all this has been leading to. Now there's this situation between Jenn and Jen, two people with a huge heart for animals, and both of them just wanted to help, but the situation is now working against them. Both of them feel bad and sad and heartbroken (who wouldn't?), and that's definitely NOT the way it was meant to be. Glad that the brownies make you feel better now! ;)

I fear the next time a kitty needs help like this, people will not offer their help and support so freely.

I feel sad for Ally, too. I wonder what has happened to her in her early years that made her like this. Wonder why she has chosen to reject any kind of love, and why she feels only aggression towards other living beings. Maybe she will really be happier as a barn cat, where she can run and hunt, who knows? It's worth a try, and in this situation maybe the best that can happen to her, and everyone involved.

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I can make you brownies!!! Do you want plain chocolate, cheesecake brownies, or maybe caramel chocolate brownies??
YES

All come adorned with cat hair! :p

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Lizzie
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
But which would you rather have - a contrasting hair colour or ones that blend into the colour of the brownie? (I can almost feel cat hair in my mouth as I type that!)

I could do with a brownie. I was just finishing my lunch while surfing the web when I felt my head snap back - I'd fallen asleep.

We will be waiting, ever so hopefully, to hear about a barn home for Ally.

NoahsMommy
01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Wow! I just read this entire thread (yea, not getting ANY work done today :o ) and wow....its hard for me not to compare my situation to this one. I've learned how important frequent updates are...I'm so sorry to those in my thread when I've been away. :(

To Jen, Jenn and EmilytheSpoiled,

You are ALL amazing people with the biggest, bestest, shiniest hearts ever. God sure put some extra love in when you three were created and all the kitties you help (be in 1 or 1 million) are so very lucky.

I'm sorry Julie has deleted her means of contact, thus showing she's removed herself from her responsibility from Allie and Conner. I too knew Allie had bitten Julie a few times, but had NO idea it was this bad. You all may be correct in that her being alone could have caused her to regress.

Prayers for all involved.

Hugs, Kelly :)

Catty1
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry...a sickly funny thought just passed through my mind...Ally would be a perfect revenge pet for Vick...

Okay, I will go crawl under a rock now.... :o

jennielynn1970
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry...a sickly funny thought just passed through my mind...Ally would be a perfect revenge pet for Vick...

Okay, I will go crawl under a rock now.... :o

You mean that dog fighting guy???

I wouldn't subject Ally to that kind of person. She'd get rabies or something from him! :p ;)

Catty1
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
And she'd give them right back! :D GO, ALLY! ;)

kitten645
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
"FWIW, Julie was also hurt because she LOVED Ally, and Ally would not let herself be loved....she would bite. "Why is she doing this?" Julie cried.

If there are family troubles - with all the family has been through, that would not surprise me - maybe Julie CAN'T respond..."

I'm sorry but I think thats BS. She had a problem and pawned it off on good people that are now suffering the consequences. I can bet you anything Julie is going on with her life suffering NO guilt or shame for what she's done to some very kind people. She wasn't HURT..puleez. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry but even under the most dire of circumstances, continued "I'm sorrys" via email, snail mail or what ever would at LEAST make the human victims in all this feel a little better. Ally will never understand being abandoned but at least the people involved could feel some empathy for a grievious deed done to them. :mad:

Pawsitive Thinking
01-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Could this include some brownies??? ;)

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} back atcha!

Well done ladies!! Hugs to you both :D

jennielynn1970
01-11-2008, 05:16 AM
YES

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Let me know if some brownies or something get there today.... ;)

carole
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh my gosh this is so sad to read , i feel so bad for everyone and Ally too,if only there were a simple solution, it sounds as if her being a barn cat would be for the best,

I cannot believe Julie would shed her responsibility entirely in this,it just does not sound like her at all.

I hope with all my heart something good can come out of this, and to those who have opened their hearts and wallets to taking care of Ally, http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/jewellnz/GJ-YoureAmazing01.gif

http://www.gjdesigns.dk

shais_mom
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh my gosh this is so sad to read , i feel so bad for everyone and Ally too,if only there were a simple solution, it sounds as if her being a barn cat would be for the best,

I cannot believe Julie would shed her responsibility entirely in this,it just does not sound like her at all.

I hope with all my heart something good can come out of this, and to those who have opened their hearts and wallets to taking care of Ally, http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/jewellnz/GJ-YoureAmazing01.gif

http:/www.gjdesigns.dk
way off topic - but I totally missed your new additions Carole!!!
off to do some searching!

carole
01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Huh what new additions do you mean dear? Do you mean the kitties, i have had them for over two years now. :)

jenluckenbach
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Let me know if some brownies or something get there today.... ;)
Well, I was not home today for a "delivery" :confused: So they are sending it to my work tomorrow!

WHAT IS IT!?!?!?!? I hate suspence. ;)

jennielynn1970
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, I was not home today for a "delivery" :confused: So they are sending it to my work tomorrow!

WHAT IS IT!?!?!?!? I hate suspence. ;)

I dunno... guess you'll have to wait and find out!

shais_mom
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
:o
Huh what new additions do you mean dear? Do you mean the kitties, i have had them for over two years now. :)
boy then I really am behind the times!!! eeek!
:o I should have never admitted it! :o

jenluckenbach
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I dunno... guess you'll have to wait and find out!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jennielynn1970
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
haha! guess you'll just have to suffer! :p

carole
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey stacey, the old saying comes to mind better late than never lol :) :D

jenluckenbach
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
haha! guess you'll just have to suffer! :p
EVIL woman. mumble, grumble, grumble

Catty1
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
After sending a panic-stricken email to the moderator of Pennsylvania Best Friends network - because I didn't see WHERE to post about Ally - the moderator got back to me today, asked for more info, and suggested where the best place was to post Ally's story.

I contacted Jenn to get the emails she had sent BF Utah. I put together Ally's story, along with Jenn's, and replied to the moderator. I also posted the whole thing on the PA Helping Animals Forum.

So - prayers that some interest will be generated. The subject line included SPECIAL NEEDS (aggression) - so people will know what's up, and anyone who does reply might be a better bet.

PT Prayers for Jenn and Ally!

Lizzie
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
After sending a panic-stricken email to the moderator of Pennsylvania Best Friends network - because I didn't see WHERE to post about Ally - the moderator got back to me today, asked for more info, and suggested where the best place was to post Ally's story.

I contacted Jenn to get the emails she had sent BF Utah. I put together Ally's story, along with Jenn's, and replied to the moderator. I also posted the whole thing on the PA Helping Animals Forum.

So - prayers that some interest will be generated. The subject line included SPECIAL NEEDS (aggression) - so people will know what's up, and anyone who does reply might be a better bet.

PT Prayers for Jenn and Ally!

You need to get hold of either the moderator or tech help at B.F. and ask them to move your post to the top. It's now below one from July so people won't see it (as are several for later in the year). It's a frustrating feature of some of the forums that new posts are placed far down the page and I have no idea why that happens.

Catty1
01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I noticed that...even the all caps may not help.

Thanks for letting me know that something can be done to change this. :)

jenluckenbach
01-11-2008, 07:58 PM
can someone post a link to this forum? please?

Catty1
01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Will do - though I think you have to sign in...I'll try, though.

http://network.bestfriends.org/MessageBoards/Default.aspx?g=789f380ce7dc4839ac257b1b40c49a3a

The link should take you to a list of forums. The one in question is 'Working Together for Pennsylvania Animals'.

Lizbud - I went to the site and it WAS bumped to the top. I guess the moderator got my email! :)

here's hoping!

Emeraldgreen
01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Jenn, did the Clomicalm arrive yet? I know you have a new plan in the works and it sounds like a good one considering there aren't other options out there at this point. Do you think that you will have some time before she is moved to a barn to give the Clomicalm a try? Who knows, maybe it will change her enough to open up more options for her? It might be that she has to be on it for many weeks before any results can be seen but it could be that a few days on it might make a difference. I hope you can sneak some of the meds into her food over the next couple of days to see if things change. I'll keep praying that things get better for you and for her.

Cinder & Smoke
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Heres the Direct *Link* to the Best Friends Forum article about Ally >>>

http://network.bestfriends.org/MessageBoards/TopicPopup.aspx?g=789f380ce7dc4839ac257b1b40c49a3a&t=19576

Got to wonder if it's wise to post such complete "information" on Jen ...
* Complete phone numbers
* Exact address
* Ready to copy E-mail address

:confused:

That's all a lot of Private Info to put on a Very Public web site.

Catty1
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi, Phred....I emailed Jenn early afternoon for her to let me know what contact information she did or did not want posted. She was quick to get back to me earlier with some of her emails.

Although normally a person has to have ID and a password and sign in, this is a little risky, you are right.

What I might do is eliminate the phone #'s, and leave the email addys. I'll let the moderator know to NOT give numbers out unless she checks with me (and me with Jenn) first.

Thanks...I didn't think the direct link would work....

ETA: numbers and street address are removed, and a note sent to the moderator. :)

wolf_Q
01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I really don't think this...

I even had a woman by the name of Nancy Efrusy do a psychic reading on Ally, and it was all negative. I do take that with a grain of salt, cause the woman was a cub scout troop leader, lol, so why she's "talking" with animals I really couldn't tell you.

...needed to be posted. I can see mentioning talking to a pet psychic, but you do not need to put her name there.

I wish you the best of luck finding a place for Ally. She's a beautiful cat.

Cinder & Smoke
01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Although normally a person has to have ID and a password and sign in,
this is a little risky, you are right.

What I might do is eliminate the phone #'s, and leave the email addys.

ANYone can open and READ those Forums (just like Pet Talk) ...
but you DO have the "register" to be able to *post*.

"leave the email addys" ... is still very risky!

At the very least - "code" them so they can't be copied by an address stealing program ...

Instead of [email protected] (wich can be easily stolen and spammed)
write it as SamSpade AT myisp dot com - which the address stealers won't "see".

And I'd certainly remove the home address - that's an open invitation to TROUBLE.

/s/ Phred

dukedogsmom
01-12-2008, 06:01 AM
I didn't know about this until yesterday. She ought to be ashamed of herself. I don't feel pity for someone that does something like this. I do feel badly for the good people involved that helped out and have now been done so wrong. Also for the cats. They must wonder what have happened. "Missing her babies" as it says below her name :rolleyes: Right. I hope she's been introduced to a big serving of karma.

jennielynn1970
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Sorry, was helping a friend who had to remove the final remains of his former apartment to storage as the locks were all being changed this afternoon. He still had things in there that didn't fit here, so he had to take them to a storage unit he had already had other belongings in from a previous downsizing move. It made for an interesting evening, considering the fact that I'm sick as a dog, hacking up crap cause I can't breathe, and have laryngitis. Sigh. I did stay in my car with the heat running for a bit of the time cause my asthma kicked in with all the other crap my lungs were going through and they rebelled.

Yeah... would prefer that my full name, address and phone not be used. They can get ahold of someone if they want my personals.

Nancy Efrusy's name can be take out to, or can be added that she normally does very accurate readings, so this should by no means say that she did a crappy reading or whatever else.

Catty1
01-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Tweaks made.

Email addy not 'readable'.

"Jenn H." as name; Jenn - sending you a pm.

Nancy's name removed.

Moderator has personal contact info and will not pass it out without contacting me.

One thing I am glad about is that, as Lizbud noted, the message was halfway down the list. The moderator had also been sent a copy of the message - and it was bumped up to the top in no time!

Thanks, guys - when I'm in a hurry to help I don't always think straight.