PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat do this? Licks Soda Boxes or Plastic CD Spinners

Anikaca77
07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
My 3-yr. old tortoiseshell Ashley loves to lick soda boxes and plastic CD spinners.

Does anyone know why she does or does anyone else's cat do this?

My youngest one Hermes who just turned 1 yr in May started taking after her but he does not do it as often as she does.

Last night she went after licking one of my lotion bottles. I had to take it away from her because I didn't want her bitting it and getting lotion in her mouth.

Also, Ashley loves banana's. Anytime I have one I have to share with her (which of course I don't mind) but all of my other cats hate banana's. Does anyone else's cats love banana's like mine?

Thanks,
Melissa

Medusa
07-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Puddy will lick anything plastic. And she especially loves envelope glue. I really have to be diligent to be sure that all envelopes are out of reach.

emilysgk
07-16-2007, 10:06 AM
No plastic here... kittys can be silly sometimes.

My Cow baby, she has a big thing for Pineapple and Strawberries??

caffeitina
07-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Also, Ashley loves banana's. Anytime I have one I have to share with her (which of course I don't mind) but all of my other cats hate banana's. Does anyone else's cats love banana's like mine?

Well...my Howard loves rasians (although he won't touch grapes) and ice cream or sherbert. And Luna eats pretty much anything and everything that is dangled in front of her nose....except fruit.

Cats are just like people. They like certain foods and dislike others depending on what tastes they have. And, like us, every cat has different (and sometimes unusual) tastes.

cassiesmom
07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Cassie likes string cheese! I always have some on hand for quick snacking and she always wants to know what I'm eating. I tried giving her a tiny piece yesterday and she snarfed it down and came right back for another one. She also likes the foil lids from yogurt cups (must lick off ALL the yogurt). She has always liked to tear paper with her teeth to get attention.

caffeitina
07-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Cassie likes string cheese! I always have some on hand for quick snacking and she always wants to know what I'm eating. I tried giving her a tiny piece yesterday and she snarfed it down and came right back for another one. She also likes the foil lids from yogurt cups (must lick off ALL the yogurt). She has always liked to tear paper with her teeth to get attention.

Oh no...you may have created a monster!! You fed it and now you'll never know another moment's peace. lol.

I gave Luna a bit of cheese several months ago and now I can't even open the fridge without her being right there underfoot. And if I'm making sandwiches...well, forget it. She's right there next to me, sitting back on her hind legs and meowing and behaving all cute-ly until I give her a small piece--and then she wants more. :rolleyes:

Pawla
07-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Ellie would lick photographs! I could NEVER leave a picture out of a frame lying around. Squeak, anything mint. She used to get my ex husbands menthol cigarettes, and drool all over the pack! We had to make sure they were always out of reach, because she would eat them if she got the chance. She will lick my toothbrush, if she gets a chance. I also have to be careful with dental floss. If it's mint flavored, WATCH OUT! I guess it's a good thing I work in a dental practice, huh?

aki
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
we were having popcorn last night, with real butter

so sig wanted some, and i found a fluffy one without a shell in it, thinking he would just lick the butter off

he ate the whole thing :rolleyes:

~Aki :D

jazzcat
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Rocky will eat any plastic shopping bag he can get. We have to be very careful with him. He also eats the little bungee cord on cat toys. I knew he had a thing for plastic bags but I didn't know about the cords until he threw up one day and there were two different colored bungee cords along with a couple of plastic bag handles. Scared me half to death. I have to get groceries and anything I buy out of the bag immediately and store the bags in the garage out of his reach or he will eat the handles in a matter of seconds.

Rumor will chew on plastic bags but her big thing is to lick plastic. She licks all kinds of plastic things. She's a fruit cup!

I've been told on here before that plastic shopping bags are made with lard and that is what attracts cats. In my house it certainly attracts two of them (they are brother and sister so I think it's in their blood). :)

aki
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
A cat we had a long time ago Bilbo (rb) was huge into plastic, to the point that he would try to eat it and throw up and poop plastic chunks. needless to say, we would try to keep all plastic out of his reach. easier said than done, it's on EVERYTHING. he would even try to eat the plastic that comes around rolls of toilet paper, litter box liners, etc. he kept us on our toes!

jennielynn1970
07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
My Sophie will eat anything that's crunchy and munchy like for little kids. She had been a stray, and I think she was owned by a family with little kids. Loves sugar cereal, animal crackers, saltines, nacho chips...

Finae licks plastic bags, and chews on anything cardboard. She's such a wacko.

Furbee, my foster, loves yoghurt and sour cream. I share with her when ever I'm cooking or just snacking on yoghurt. I feel she is such a sad soul to begin with, I'll do almost anything to give her some happiness.

My former foster, Autumn, who is now adopted, at EVERYTHING!!! She was a scavenger! You set it down, she claimed it! She's sink her teeth into whatever it was and growl and run away with it!! She at an entire plate of Hunan Chicken the one night while I was talking on the phone. I had dished it out, rice and all, and had a nice helping of the Hunan Chicken (broccoli, baby corns, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots...)... she ate the whole entire plate full. The only thing I found that she didn't like were olives. I had made nacho dip (sour cream, salsa and colbyjack and cheddar shredded and nuked), and she ate everything on the dish, but piled the sliced olives on the side!!

jazzcat
07-16-2007, 03:05 PM
he would even try to eat the plastic that comes around rolls of toilet paper, litter box liners, etc. he kept us on our toes!
Ah yes, another one of Rocky's favorites, the plastic wrap around toilet paper. :rolleyes:

We have to work hard to try to stay a step ahead of that plastic eating boy. Never a dull moment.

LionHart
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
My Sylvester (RIP) used to lick the plastic shower curtain! During a vet visit I asked about it. The vet said it has something to do with petroleum products: eek: who knew!? :eek:

catmandu
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
The Found Cats Will Play With The Plastic Rings That Ae On The Orange Juice Cardboard Containers.
And They Love Little Ritz Crackers And Chhese Whiz On Toast.
They Are Easy To Please.

jennielynn1970
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
OH, Finae licks and chews on the plastic curtain liners too!! I forgot all about that.

She's also my electrical cord chewer, or at least she used to be when she was younger. She didn't want to chew any cord NOT plugged in... ONLY the plugged in ones!!!! :eek: I went through so many irons, it was amazing!! Maybe it was a kitten thing, because I haven't noticed any cords being all nubbly or not working the past few years. :rolleyes: