PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for digital camera???

Freedom
07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I bought a new Canon Powershot A560 a month ago. It came with Panasonic Industrial Alkaline AA batteries. They have lasted me a month, I took 158 photos and 10 movies.

At the same time, I bought a battery charger and rechargeable batteries.

These are lasting FIVE photos!!!

Does this make sense? No, of course not!

Just wondering what other people are doing? Any suggestions what I should look into getting?

I found the Panasonic Industrials on line, a case of 40 for $12, and that was without searching for a good price. If they are going to last me that long, I'd be happy! The charger and 4 rechargeables cost me 40 and I am not happy at all.

Appreciate hearing from other PTers!

Hellow
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Some cameras require those Lithium High - Capacity batteries to run at all. You can buy them at wal-mart but boy are they expensive!!!

Cinder & Smoke
07-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I bought a battery charger and rechargeable batteries.

These are lasting FIVE photos!!!

The charger and 4 rechargeables cost me 40 and I am not happy at all.

:eek:

Sumpin's wrong with that picture!

CHECK the label on each battery ---
you WANT "Ni-MH" (Nickel-Metal Hydride) type cells, with a CAPACITY
of at least 2,000 mAh (two thousand "milli-Amp hours").

You MIGHT have either low capacity batteries,
or the older NiCad type. Take 'em back and exchange for Hi Performance rechargables.

OR, maybe the right type and size, but just a BAD Battery in the group ...
ONE BAD cell will reduce the usable life per charge dramatically!

That Camera SHOULD take a hunders shots easily on a single set of Ni-MH rechargable batteries.

PS!!

Check the Camera INSTRUCTIONS - you MAY have to set / change a camera set-up setting
to match the type of battery in the camera ... Alkaline, NiCad, Ni-MH.

/s/ Phred

K9soul
07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
This happened to me before. It turned out the charger I got was defunct and not charging the batteries all the way even though it indicated they were charged. I got a new charger and problem was solved. Hope you figure out the problem but no, the batteries are not lasting what they should be.

Ginger's Mom
07-16-2007, 06:18 AM
I, too, have been disappointed with my rechargeable batteries, although I must admit I have gotten a lot better use out of them than you did. But not nearly what I wanted/expected. However, I will reiterate at least part of what Reggie said. Lithium batteries are great! They last a very long time. I know he said they are expensive, but I have found them on sale for not much more than alkaline batteries (4 pack for 9.97). So until you get your charger replaced/exchanged I just thought I would mention that.

catnapper
07-16-2007, 07:20 AM
The best rechargeables out there are Energiser. I bought some really expensive ones thinking I was getting longer life and such from them, I thought higher cost = better lasting. WRONG! The cheapo Energisers from Cams Club ($19.95 for 4 batteries and the charger) last me a looooong time. Sometimes it can go 1000+ photos and several movies before the Energisers die out.

Randi
07-16-2007, 07:35 AM
CHECK the label on each battery ---
you WANT "Ni-MH" (Nickel-Metal Hydride) type cells, with a CAPACITY
of at least 2,000 mAh (two thousand "milli-Amp hours")
A very good point, Phred! :) Although I only have 1700 mAh - ad even 1450 mAh, they still last quite a long time.

moosmom
07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I have rechargeable batteries by Energizer. I have a charger that charges both AA & AAA batteries. It saves me A LOT of money. Buy two sets of each so you always have a pair charging.

fritz03
07-28-2007, 09:07 AM
I use Energizer batteries for my camera.Batteries last 16 or 17 days before i have to put new ones in.