PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave!!!!

Kirsten
07-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Now the Big Heat is here, and the heatwaves we had so far this year are nothing compared to this one. 100°F outside today, and here in my flat, it's 82°F. This is how I have to sleep tonight, the temperatures won't go down below 70°F outside, it's gonna be what they call a "tropical night".

I'm not myself today, I'm feeling totally ill. No idea how to go to work tomorrow, especially as tomorrow is predicted to be even hotter! I just can't stand it, makes me feel as if I'm in a heavy fever. Unbearable!!!

Kirsten

rg_girlca
07-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Kirsten, I find putting a cold face cloth around the back of my neck helps a lot. Also, I fill up a water bottle, a little less than half way with water and then put it in the freezer at night and in the morning fill the rest of the bottle up with water. This way you have some nice ice water to help cool you down and keep you hydrated.

So far, here in Montreal, we have been having below normal temperatures, which I am not complaining about at all. I hate the heat.

Kirsten
07-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Will try that with the icy water. I'm putting ice packs onto my head and neck the entire day now, and even though it's so hot, I think I'm getting a cold!! Go figure! My head is aching, my ears are aching, I have sore throat and a runny nose... And all I can think of is some nice, cool, fresh air... OMG, how I hate these temperatures!!! They say it will cool off a bit on Tuesday, but it will take DAYS before I'll get this warm and muggy air out of my apartment!

And I fear tomorrow. We will have temperatures of 95°F and more in our office, it's been the same last year. I collapsed there twice. Or office is under the roof of the building (like my flat), and when it's that hot, even fans won't help anymore.

Kirsten

rg_girlca
07-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh no Kirsten, I hope you aren't getting a cold. Poor you.

I also find a good way to beat the heat is too fill a pail with cold water and stick your feet in, along with the cold cloth around your neck.

What I do with my fan is have it facing the window so it draws some of the hot air out of the house.

Think cool Kirsten, think cool. :) I feel for you and anyone else who is going through a heat wave. Like I mentioned before, I hate the heat.

Catty1
07-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I had JUST put a cool damp facecloth around the back of my neck and onto my shouders, and came back to see this thread.

That is a GREAT idea about the bucket of cold water.

Kirsten - if your office place had the fans at the windows pulling the air OUT (cooler air would be drawn up from below - air can get through anything) I wonder if that would help a little bit. Even a couple of degrees can do a lot.

I hope you aren't getting a cold! Try the bucket of water and the cloth...hugs!

todd
07-15-2007, 08:56 PM
great info all

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Please keep that heatwave in Germany :eek: , it is warm here, but I absolutely don't want a heatwave like last year.... :(

Miss Z
07-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I am SO jealous! :p

Summer in the UK has been absolutely dreadful, I think the only sunny week we had was at the beginning of June. Since then, we've pretty much had rain, cloud and wind every day. It's what you'd expect as November weather. On Saturday afternoon, it was relatively warm with a short spell of cloudless sky, and I think everyone was in their back gardens that day, making the most of the sun before the rain returned on Sunday!

There's been floods in many areas with people evacuated from their homes. Thankfully, even though I live in a very flat area, there are no major rivers near enough to have caused flooding where I live. The closest that I have gotten to flooding this year is an inch of water on the lawn (yep, floating on top, the drainage system couldn't cope!) and the drains burst at the riding stables causing a lot of stables to be abandoned as they filled with water.

I don't think we're going to end up with much summer at all here, so send we poor little Brits a chunk of that heatwave, Kirsten! ;)

Randi
07-16-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm sorry to hear you have a heatwave, I know how unbearable it is when you live in a flat. :( We in Denmark seem to be OK for now, we had a little thunderstorm last night, so the temperature is quite pleasant today.

Sticking your feet in a cold bowl of water and having a wet cloth around your neck, sounds like an excellent idea! :)

Wipe Luna and Lily with wet cloths also. ;)

This is our weather forecast.

wombat2u2004
07-16-2007, 06:45 AM
It's minus 3 degrees here right now.....at 9.44pm.
I think it will get to minus 10 degrees tonite.
Ready to snuggle up underneath the bed covers :D
Wom

Kirsten
07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
And here's ours:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/weather.jpg

Isn't it just awful? Well, at least the temperatures will go down a bit the next days, but they say it's gonna be very humid, which ain't no good news.

Miss Z, I think I have to relocate to the UK. LOL Floods, however, is something that no one needs, we often get them too after long periods of heat, and they cause a lot of destruction.

The day at the office was awful, 90°F, and I think I had my head under the faucet at least 10 times today. I could only stand it with wet hair. I also had a wet towel in the freezer of the fridge which I used for my face and neck from time to time.

Now I'm home, and I'm gonna have a long, cool shower now...

Kirsten

CathyBogart
07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
It hasn't been super hot here lately, but the last two days I spent baking in a parking lot wearing a lot of leather, so I do sympathize.

davidpizzica
07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Kirsten, I know what you're going through with your heatwave. The heat has settled down in Pittsburgh with the temperature right now at 80 degrees with low (32%) humidity. This is much better on me and my heart.

Craftlady
07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
No air conditioned buildings or homes in Germany? Ewwwwwwwww
I'm so glad we have whole house air conditioning available for homes and businesses.

Kirsten
07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Cathy, sounds horrible! I don't envy you!

David, glad to hear it has cooled off a bit in your area!

Craftlady, I really envy the US people for their a/c!! Facing another night with almost 85°F here in my bedroom is no fun at all!

BTW, just read that Germany is currently the hottest country in Europe, even in the Southern European countries like Spain and Italy it is cooler. Seems like Germany is very much affected by global warming...

Kirsten

anna_66
07-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I really envy the US people for their a/c!!
Just a question, but how come you don't have a/c there :confused:

Kirsten
07-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Just a question, but how come you don't have a/c there :confused:

Most people here don't like them, they say you're gonna get a cold from them. Besides, it would increase the electricity usage a lot, so having a/c wouldn't match with the endeavors to protect the environment. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree, but I have to admit I would gladly give up my principles when I'm close to a heatstroke. :o

But on the other hand, even if I had a/c here in my appartment; I couldn't affort to let it running because electricity and energy is VERY expensive here. Even without a/c, I pay 195 $US every month, and that is more than I can affort!

Kirsten

davidpizzica
07-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Cathy, sounds horrible! I don't envy you!

David, glad to hear it has cooled off a bit in your area!

Craftlady, I really envy the US people for their a/c!! Facing another night with almost 85°F here in my bedroom is no fun at all!

BTW, just read that Germany is currently the hottest country in Europe, even in the Southern European countries like Spain and Italy it is cooler. Seems like Germany is very much affected by global warming...

Kirsten
Kirsten, it's much more pleasant here in Pittsburgh. I'm used to working in the heat, but the high humidity was making it really uncomfortable especially for people like me with heart and breathing problems. Kirsten, I hope that heatwave breaks very soon and you caan get back to being pleasant again.

anna_66
07-17-2007, 06:26 AM
But on the other hand, even if I had a/c here in my appartment; I couldn't affort to let it running because electricity and energy is VERY expensive here. Even without a/c, I pay 195 $US every month, and that is more than I can affort!

Wow! That's insane. I wish I could bottle some of my air and send it to you:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Almost nobody has AC here; just like in Germany, electricity is very expensive here. Belgium, especially the Flemish part is very densely populated. When everybody would have AC here, the electricity power stations would break down.... . We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom, but it this highly unusual here.
Kirsten, when it is really hot, I spray cold water in my face and neck. I found this spray can a while ago; I put it in the fridge; spraying a bit of water feels sooooooooooooooooo good now :)

cloverfdx
07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh Kirsten i wish i could send some of our snow over to you :(. I hope the heat does not last to long, and you start feeling better.

Kirsten
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, the temperatures fell a bit, they were in the 70s today, and there was some wind. But I cannot get the heat out of my flat, it's still 82°F here. Last night was the same; even though I opened the windows in my bedroom (Luna and Lily were not allowed to enter because of that!) it didn't cool off, and after that night, I felt so bad this morning at work that my boss's daughter wanted to call the ambulance. I asked her not to, and instead of doing that, she then set up a deck chair in the garden for me. Resting there for a couple of minutes helped a bit. My blood pressure, which is usually higher than normal, goes down when it's hot, it was only 109/60, so I had a coffee which helped me to make it through the day.

But when I came home, the heat and humidity inside here hit my face. For the second time this evening the girls are locked in the kitties' room (which they don't like; Luna is currently scratching the door) because I opened ALL the windows in my apartment, hoping for the temperatures to go down. But it just won't happen. It always takes forever until this place is getting cool again.

Kirsten