PDA

View Full Version : Waiting in line?

RICHARD
07-15-2007, 11:59 AM
What is the attraction of waiting in line to get things like ipod/phones, books, movies?

I have waited in line for concert tickets for a few hours, but what is the deal with setting up 'camp' on a sidewalk?

There are two sisters in Fairbanks, Alaske who are spending 11 days camped outside a book store.

---------

I guess I can defend my 'concert ticket camping' by saying that not everyone is going to see/get to enjoy a concert.

It's a one time event.

-----------

This struck me one day when I saw a movie playing on a local channel.

Years ago it was a "must see" movies where people were killing themselves to be the 'first in line', 'first to see it', 'first to have the action figures' and now it was a Saturday afternoon movie- edited to the point of having the movie make no sense at all.

----------------
Way back when, I bought one of the first stereo VHS players. 600 dollars then, 49 dollars today at Target.

I guess it pays to patient!

CathyBogart
07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I have waited for hours to get movie tickets before....when it would have been easier to wait a few days and go see it. Why? I don't know. It was fun to go with my friends, laugh about the silliness of what we were doing with the people around us. I never thought much about it, it was just an excuse to hang out with my friends.

columbine
07-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Scalpers do it a lot. Or would-be resellers - some people tried to buy 2 iPhones and then resell the second at an exorbitant markup, but it flopped because people elected to just wait a couple days.

I think somebody got shot for the Xbox they'd stood in line for some months ago, but I don't remember exactly.

Love, Columbine

IRescue452
07-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree, nothing's good enough to get me to wait in a line that long. Is it really gonna hurt to have to wait a few days for a stupid iphone? Funny how one lady who was going to buy out a store paid people hundreds of dollars for their positions in line, then found out there was a limit one per customer. Boy did she lose out. Sucks to be her.

crow_noir
07-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I agree, nothing's good enough to get me to wait in a line that long. Is it really gonna hurt to have to wait a few days for a stupid iphone? Funny how one lady who was going to buy out a store paid people hundreds of dollars for their positions in line, then found out there was a limit one per customer. Boy did she lose out. Sucks to be her.

Bwahhhhh Haaaaaaa HAAAAAAA!!!!

Greed was avenged.

Twisterdog
07-16-2007, 12:53 AM
I've never waited in line for anything like that. Ok, rides in Disneyland, but that is unavoidable. But hours and hours in front of a theater? No way. One of my employees stood in line all day for some movie ... maybe Star Wars? We drove by on our way to dinner and waved and laughed at her. We just didn't get it.

I've never been one that has to have "it" first, or best or most expensive. Most of the time, I don't even know what the latest "it" thing is, let alone want it.

BC_MoM
07-16-2007, 01:51 AM
:o

I'm guilty of rushing to things to try and be first in line. It's exciting! :D LOL
The only point I hate it is when gates open and everyone starts pushing and it's like a death pit.

I was first in line for a few HP books, the last HP movie & this one, and Live Free Die Hard. I plan on being first in line for the last HP book. :D

Alysser
07-16-2007, 03:50 AM
I would never wait in line all day for something stupid like an Iphone. They are having troubles with the stupid thing now anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe a movie, depends on which one. :D I went to the movies opening night to see Harry Potter and it was sold out for 3 shows, so we just bought the 9:30 PM one early and went then, but I might wait on line for a movie, the most I'd wait would be 1hr or 2. I hate waiting in line for rides at Six flags Great adventure. For El toro, its always a 45 min. wait no matter how early you are and for Kingda Ka, the tallest fastest coaster in the world, oh don't even get me started. I would never in my life wait on a 3-4 hr line for a 1 min and 15 second ride. :rolleyes:

Alysser
07-16-2007, 03:51 AM
I would never wait in line all day for something stupid like an Iphone. They are having troubles with the stupid thing now anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe a movie, depends on which one. :D I went to the movies opening night to see Harry Potter and it was sold out for 3 shows, so we just bought the 9:30 PM one early and went then, but I might wait on line for a movie, the most I'd wait would be 1hr or 2. I hate waiting in line for rides at Six flags Great adventure. For El toro, its always a 45 min. wait no matter how early you are and for Kingda Ka, the tallest fastest coaster in the world, oh don't even get me started. I would never in my life wait on a 3-4 hr line for a 1 min and 15 second ride. :rolleyes:

Pam
07-16-2007, 05:47 AM
I've never been one that has to have "it" first, or best or most expensive. Most of the time, I don't even know what the latest "it" thing is, let alone want it.

Me too! :p :D