PDA

View Full Version : Notice about local dog park

Freedom
07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I saw a notice about a local dog park on our craigslist.

The woman posting goes to the park often, knows the people who use it, and has a lab.

A man arrived, no dog, opened the back door of his car, held up a treat and called her dog. The dog ran over for the treat, and the man tried to get the dog in the car. :eek:

She ran over and gave him the benefit of the doubt. Said "maybe you didn't see me; that's my dog."

He replied, "Prove it!"

Her dog wears 2 collars a vanity collar and a strong one. The man grabbed the vanity collar, it broke and the dog scrambled behind the owner. Who by now was shrieking loudly to get other dog owners over to help her. The man got in his car and raced off.

Once this was posted on craigslist, other people reported similar happenings in the state at other dog parks. Different cars, not clear if it is the same person. Most have been reported to the local police; but so far no one has recorded the car license plates.

I thought maybe those of you who use dog parks in other states may need a reminder to be careful!

Seravieve
07-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Wow!! Thats so ridiculous of that guy to try and steal a dog.. muchless at a dog park.. where theres lots of people - generally.

I guess in a sense, Im glad that Eli cowers and runs away when strange people reach down towards him.. Wouldnt want someone to take him.. they'd be dead meat once I got a hold of them.. Grrr.. :mad:

CathyBogart
07-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Wow...scary!! Jasper will run for anyone with a cookie....

crow_noir
07-15-2007, 02:03 AM
That's so sad and scary. With dog thefts on the rise it doesn't surprise me. ...and i could so see it happening at out local one that opened two years ago. It's semi-bad town near another crime ridden one.

King could have easily gotten stolen since he loved people so much... but it never would have happened since i never let him out of my sight at dog parks. I didn't want to miss out on any of the fun. :p

Koli on the other hand... We have to keep her on leash most of the time. She loves people though, LOVES them. However i constantly think her one saving grace would be that she is an escape artist from a collar. Even if someone grabbed her... *BOOM* she'd be gone at the sound of speed. It took me months to master keeping her contained.

cyber-sibes
07-15-2007, 08:18 AM
:( This is really scarey. Pretty bold on that guys part. I'm glad her dog got away. Thanks for posting it. (Are there actually dog parks around here? The only one I know of is in Newport, & it's an itty bitty thing.)

jackie
07-16-2007, 02:40 AM
Horrible.

All I can say is I hope this person chooses the wrong dog to try and grab and gets a nasty bite.

IRescue452
07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Scarey. Is the dog park not fenced? Or the parking lot not seperate from the park? At our parks they have to go through double gates to get from parking lot to offleash area.

Lori Jordan
07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow that is awful,I do not know what i would do if someone tried to do that to onw of my dogs,How distraught this women must be :eek:

nancyweNW
07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Until I saw this post, I never would have thought about that. Very scary and I will definitely make sure I watch my girl.