PDA

View Full Version : People That Feed Their Cats A Raw Diet, I Need Your Help & Advice Please

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi, All of my cats are now on Innova Evo wet and dry food except for Storm. Starr was doing very well on this until a few weeks ago. He has major food allergies and this effects both his small and large intestine and he also has colitis. He's still on 5mg of prednisolone in the morning and I recently also started giving him 5mg of pepcid ac in the evening again.

He's been having accidents again and this morning his poo was very mushy and not formed at all.:( I really don't think that his meds are helping him at all. I've e-mailed his vet but she's not in until Mon.July 16th. I've read and heard of others feeding their cats a raw diet in cats that have intestinal problems and it really seems to help them.

I decided to buy a chicken blend that has ground chicken, chicken necks, backs, and breast bones in it. It comes in a tube like the way you'd buy ground hamburger meat. I'm supposed to let it defrost slowly and then cut it into 3rds so I can freeze the other portions. Then I'm only supposed to give 1/4 of it mixed into the regular cat food until Starr gets used to eating it. This isn't a complete diet so I'd also have to continue feeding him the Innova Evo.

My questions are:
Is raw chicken really safe for cats to eat?
Can they get salmonella poisoning?
Is it safe for a cat on pred to eat?
What kind of raw diets do you feed your cat?
Can you share some recipes with me?

I would also like to take Starr to a holistic vet but I haven't been able to find a local one yet. I've tried using the internet but I get no where. I'd like to control Starr's problem with natural products if he still needs some kind of medication for his intestinal problems. Storm will probably also need something to help keep him calm so he's not so aggressive towards his siblings.

Thanks for reading this.:)

jazzcat
07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Poor Starr, I didn't know he's had a setback. :(

I wish I could help but I know nothing about raw diets. I hope someone here can help you. The only person I remember feeding raw was Kelly (didn't Micah or one of her cats have issues that required it?). I wonder how she is doing?

Anyway, good luck finding a holistic vet too. I really hope it helps. Poor little guy needs a break! ...And so do you!

Sending you both good thoughts. :)