PDA

View Full Version : Hollister Guinea Pigs

Treen
07-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Just thought I'd post about this recent large scale rescue. For more info, pictures and to find out about ways you can help go here http://www.cavyspirit.com/hollister.htm

"On July 2, 2002, 187 guinea pigs were seized from a woman by Hollister Animal Control Officers. She had been breeding them for 11 years. She "traded the babies to pet stores for food" -- presumably for money for food for herself (there were no other animals). They were housed outdoors, next to a trailer. The animal control officers found empty water bottles and empty food dishes and at least one dead guinea pig outside of the cages. The technique used for cleaning cages was to throw new shavings on top of old shavings -- for a long time. In one cage, the pile of feces was so high, the hair on the backs of the pigs was poking through the rusted cage wire on the top of the cage as they walked along. The pigs were supposedly fed rabbit pellets and vitamin C in the water. The compacted feces and bedding was filled with maggots and worms and other gross stuff."

Aspen and Misty
07-25-2002, 01:16 PM
You know that is extremly interesting! I have been looking for a guine pig to adopt and I think I just foudn the rigth place to get one! THANK YOU!

sujei
07-29-2002, 10:00 PM
i was extremly enraged to see those poor animals in that kind of conditions:mad: what kind of heart does the owner posses to allow them to live in that pile of feces and general disgustingness. i hope she is locked away for a very long time:mad: :mad: :mad:real justice would be eye for and eye and see how she liked living in her own filth with nothing more than maggots and waste for company. im sorry, i usually and not this vindictive to most people but this just really angers me to hear this if u cant tell.i wish i had the space and funds to adopt one of the pigs:(

Treen
07-30-2002, 01:01 PM
Oooh let us know how you get on, Aspen and Misty!

Sujei - I know how you feel - you just can't believe anyone would be able to let animals live like that, it's so depressing. Thank goodness they're all away from there now. Lots of the females were pregnant too, so that's more lives that have improved immeasurably and saved with this rescue.