PDA

View Full Version : I found a dog...what do I do? ...dissapointing update...

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
She's a really cute pit bull. She is a very sweet, friendly, submissive doggie. The Humane Society told me to call Animal Control, and Animal Control said that if not claimed in 48 hours, the dog will most likely be PTS. They are working on a pit bull ban in this city. I can't keep her. Finances absolutely will not permit. I'm not sure what to do with her. I've looked online and there's no pit bull rescue in this town that advertises threw the Internet.

What to do, what to do :( I call her Roo because she kind of has the face of a red kangaroo to me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here are some pics. She's just so cute and sweet.

Suki Wingy
07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
She is adorable! Crosspost this in dog rescue and also contact the nearest pit bull rescue even if it's a few states over, they may be willing to set up a transport train thingy to get her into a foster home somewhere. I hope she can find a good home!

Jadapit
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
She is adorable! Did she have the collar on when you found her? She looks well taken care of. Can you walk around your neighborhood and ask if anyone knows who might own her? I sure hope her owners can be found. It would be awful if she were put to sleep because of her breed. :(

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
She is adorable! Did she have the collar on when you found her? She looks well taken care of. Can you walk around your neighborhood and ask if anyone knows who might own her? I sure hope her owners can be found. It would be awful if she were put to sleep because of her breed. :(

I'll walk around my neighborhood in a bit. I'm sure she's a nice dog, but I don't want to risk her being around Quinn so I'll wait until my hubby gets home so he can stay home with Quinn while I walk her around. She had the collar on but of course no tags :( I sure wish people would put tags on their pets!

I'll cross post in dog rescue. I've already asked a few neighbors and no one has ever seen her before.

Jadapit
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Pit bulls are really good escape artists, she may have gotten out of her owners yard without them knowing it yet. I wish people would keep tags on their dogs also. I hope her owners can be found. Please keep us updated. She looks like a total sweetheart.

Cinder & Smoke
07-13-2007, 01:43 PM
She's a really cute pit bull. She is a very sweet, friendly, submissive doggie.

Animal Control said that if not claimed in 48 hours, the dog will most likely be PTS.

Call her a "Lab Mix" - that's easier to swallow than the P.B. label.

Did Animal Control take down a FOUND Report and get your name & phone number?
They SHOULD have - so they could call you if someone inquires about a dog fitting Roo's description.
Call 'em back and see if they will put her on their "Found List".

She MAY be a Displaced Flood Victim. :(
With all the High Water you had recently, she may have been stranded in the floods
and had to escape to high ground ... she might have come a long way from Home. :(

Call the Newspaper - see if they run FREE "Found Dog" ads.
If they do, don't give TOO many details in the ad ...
"Large, X_______ Colored, short coat, wearing only a choke collar. Call Leslie at (xxx) yyy-zzzz"

Then make any callers describe the dog in detail to you.

Good Luck to Roo in geting back HOME!
;)

K9soul
07-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Poor girl, I hope you can find where she belongs. She looks part vizsla to me, perhaps pit and vizsla.

http://www.hinkles.us/Graphics/Vizsla_2.JPG

http://www.thriftyfun.com/images/petguides/Vizsla300x450.jpg

Kfamr
07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Try and find her owners. Most likely there is someone looking for her, as she doesn't look mistreated/underfed/etc.

Here's Petfinder's lost ads, you can also place a found ad.
http://content.petfinder.com/classifieds/searchClassified.cgi?state=TX

I wouldn't place ads stating she's a Pit Bull/mix - place ad with "young female dog, red & white" etc. Because she is part Pittie, be sure if the owners do show up that they provide proof of owning her (pictures, etc.)

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
I called the local paper and they do free "found pet" adds. The add will be running tomorrow threw Tuesday, and they said any time I need to extend it, to just call them. They were very nice at the paper. The lady has her listing as a lab/pit mix collar no tags. She told me to make the caller describe the dog and specify the gender. Lets hope someone is looking for her and checks the newspaper. She has a beautiful temperment. She does a whole body wiggle when I come out to see her.

Freckles
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Is it possible she might be microchipped?

caseysmom
07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing freckles and most vets will scan her for free.

cassiesmom
07-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I too was wondering if this pretty dog might have a chip.

lizbud
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
She does look so sweet. Maybe a Lab/pit mix? I hope you can find
her people, or get her to safety somewhere. It would be a shame to have
her PTS.

tikeyas_mom
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Awe, she reminds me of Daisy. I'd say she is a rednose pitty, possibly mixed with somthing eles.. I hope you can find her owners, she looks well taken care of, so she must belong to someone..

K9soul
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Here is a vizsla pit mix. That is what she makes me think of the most. She's got gorgeous eyes.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/469192

Freedom
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Keep your eyes open at places like grocery stores for posters, as well. No need for a special trip, just when you are there, check the bulleting board.

Check craigslist, I saw loads of lost dog postings at July 4th.

Maybe consider posting a found dog notice on craigslist.

If you don't find the owner in xxx days, try finding her a home?

Logan
07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Leslie, if possible, take her by Animal Control or a vet's office to have her scanned for a chip, first. I think I'd do that just to ease my mind. Hopefully she will, but I know that is not always what happens.

Can you put up signs in your neighborhood? And look up the veterinary offices in your area and post signs there, too. Even pet stores might be on alert for a missing pet. I have a book about what to do when you lose a pet, but thankfully, I've never needed the reference, although I ought to be familiar with the procedures. :o

Logan

luvofallhorses
07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
she's a doll! i bet there is someone looking for her. pit bulls are notorious for climbing fences. please don't take her to the AC though. :( she looks well cared for.

K9karen
07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Roo reminds me of the little red-nosed, hazel eyed boy I was puppysitting when my accident happened. So pretty!! All the suggestions sounds great and I hope someone claims her. Good Luck, Leslie!

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
It's ironic I was calling her Roo...as my little Roo jumped the fence and she took off while I was getting Quinn ready to pick up my hubby from work. I looked around the neighborhood for a bit before I left the house, and then I walked around for 40 minutes when I got home, until Quinn was singing her "I want milk" song.

The fence area I kept her in was very secure, the fence was really high, higher then a normal fence, and I left her with food, water, and some toys to keep her occupied. I was going to introduce her to my dogs and the rest of the yard when I came home from picking up hubby, but sadly, she just couldn't wait.

Good luck, Roo, wherever you are sweety. If you ever need help again, please come back, I really, really liked you :(

luvofallhorses
07-13-2007, 11:28 PM
:( I just hope she's safe and sound and I hope the aco didn't pick her up. :(
I truly hope she found her way back home and isn't doomed at the AC. she's such a sweet looking girl.

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 11:30 PM
:( I just hope she's safe and sound and I hope the aco didn't pick her up. :(

They asked for my address but I wouldn't give it out, so they had no idea where I was located. I hope she doesn't get picked up too. I was NOT going to let them take her. She really had a beautiful temperment and she was super-duper pretty and adorable. I tried :(

luvofallhorses
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
I know you tried and sometimes thats all you can do. please don't blame yourself. maybe she will find her way back to you if she can't find her owners. :) I bet they are desperate to find her as she is probably desperate to find them. she is probably so lost and confused without her people. :(

crow_noir
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh Roo, I hope you are safe where ever you went.

Hopefully Leslie was a stepping stone in you making it to your destination.

It's ironic I was calling her Roo...as my little Roo jumped the fence and she took off while I was getting Quinn ready to pick up my hubby from work. I looked around the neighborhood for a bit before I left the house, and then I walked around for 40 minutes when I got home, until Quinn was singing her "I want milk" song.

The fence area I kept her in was very secure, the fence was really high, higher then a normal fence, and I left her with food, water, and some toys to keep her occupied. I was going to introduce her to my dogs and the rest of the yard when I came home from picking up hubby, but sadly, she just couldn't wait.

Good luck, Roo, wherever you are sweety. If you ever need help again, please come back, I really, really liked you

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2007, 11:34 PM
I know you tried and sometimes thats all you can do. please don't blame yourself. maybe she will find her way back to you if she can't find her owners. :) I bet they are desperate to find her as she is probably desperate to find them. she is probably so lost and confused without her people. :(

I called the newspaper to cancel the add, and the lady that works the Classifieds said she had the same thing happen. She rescued a stray dog, put it in her fenced in yard, and in 1/2 a day it jumped the fence and fled. She said that if I find Roo again, that she'll save the add (unprinted of course) and re-post it. She was so nice that lady. She was sad to hear that she got away also.

luvofallhorses
07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I called the newspaper to cancel the add, and the lady that works the Classifieds said she had the same thing happen. She rescued a stray dog, put it in her fenced in yard, and in 1/2 a day it jumped the fence and fled. She said that if I find Roo again, that she'll save the add (unprinted of course) and re-post it. She was so nice that lady. She was sad to hear that she got away also.

that's nice of her! :) last year we had a hound jump into our yard that looked identical to our hound Buster and he kept on getting out of it and we looked so hard for him and called his owner and the phone was disconnected and he had a collar on that said Nuthin' :mad: I pray that she is safe and if she finds her way back to her owners or you. :) if you get her again, I would take her picture to some paper printing store so you can print out found dog flyers. :)

crow_noir
07-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Maybe you can even post the sighting on http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9AmberAlert/

(I seen that dog-detective even has a sighting area now.)

finn's mom
07-14-2007, 06:27 AM
sounds like she may have escaped her own yard the same way. she looks to be well taken care of, at least from the photos...and with that personality, it sounds like she was loved, too. i hope she gets found by someone good (whether it's her original owners or not) and can be contained! you did the best you could, leslie. she *is* a pretty thing, i would be bummed, too!

ramanth
07-14-2007, 06:06 PM
What a beautiful girl. I'm sorry she got away. I hope she's safe and is found soon. Don't blame yourself.

cyber-sibes
07-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Go home, Roo! Someone's got to be looking for that pretty girl. You certainly did all you could. I had two cute hounds show up at my door last year, no tags. I called the humane society & when the gal came to pick them up, she said she knew who the owners were immediately - this was the third time these dogs got out & last time they warned the owner to get some tads on these pups. Obviously he didn't listen. I don't understand why someone wouldn't tag a dog :confused:

3muttsandaboston
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Perhaps the owners saw her in the fence and took her? If it was tall and secure. If I saw my dogs in someone elses fence I would probably just take them too. Whatever happened I hope she is safe.