PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where the wireless deactivate switch is on a Dell Inspiron 8000?

moosmom
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm unable to get a wireless signal because it's turned on. I'm able to get internet when I'm plugged into the wall. Just not a wireless signal.

HELP!!

slleipnir
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm not really sure I know what you mean...but for my computer I just go into all programs - delll wireless click on that and either open or close the connection that way...I'm not really sure what a deactivate switch is though sorry

Blue_Frog
07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Is your Wireless Network card disabled?

1. Right click on the 'My Network Places' icon on your desktop
2. Choose 'Properties' (left click on that)

A window should appear like this
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/network.jpg

Does it show your Wireless as being Disabled?

If so ...
1. Right Click on the Wireless Option and left click on ENABLE

moosmom
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Bluefrog,

I did what you told me to do and then restarted my computer. Still no wireless DSL.

Looks like I'm gonna have to bring it to the place that rebuilt it for me.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Freedom
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Never mind where you bought it, just walk in and ask at Best Buy. Those kids (and I DO mean KIDS!) know more about computers now than I will in my entire lifetime! Take it with you, or not, or take and leave it LOCKED in the car. See if one of them can handle it for you.

If the place you bought it will not charge you, then by all means check with them!

Miss Z
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and I get similar problems sometimes. Occasionally, it's solved by switching the router off and then turning it back on. Other than that, my dad handles the wireless connection side of things, but I think he performs something similar to what Alison suggested. Sorry that's not much help, Donna! Hope it gets fixed soon.

Blue_Frog
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Maybe this article will help? I haven't read the whole thing yet, but a cursory look seems that its a similar problem?

http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

Ill keep looking in the meantime :)

Hellow
07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Are you sure that it's not a problem with your other networking hardware and not your laptop?