PDA

View Full Version : I think Ivy is going back to his breeder or original owner.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Before I even begin I am NOT making this to be bashed.
That being said I will explain.

I went to work at the vet on Tuesday and the vet who my boss is very close with was in. She talked to him for over a hour about Ivy and all the test they want to have done on him. She said he has a grd 3 heart murrmor and a possible polyups. He said if it's grade 3 then he need to go to a cardioligist (sp?) and have a bunch of test done there. My boss said for him to say that it means it's serious. He is usually a laid back vet who doesn't b.s and try to con you out of your money.
He said grd 3 is a very serious grd and he needs testing and most likley be on meds all his life. He said the TESTING alone will be $2000 and up he thinks it will be more then the other vet quoted.

Ivy's previous owner finally got back to me last night saying it said he had a grade 1 suspected on his medical sheets. And continued to say he doesnt have chlymidia and poylups. Which still obvioulsy means she hasn't brought him tothe vet since she got him. When I contacted her I asked her a ton of times if he was perfectly healthy and even my mom e mailed her and she said the same thing.
Well she e mailed me again last night saying she will take him back and refund my money.

Everyone who knows the situation is telling me to give him back.
I know I even use the quote "If you can't afford the vet you can't afford the pet". BUT I obvioulsy wouldn't have taken him knowing he had these problems. I expected to be getting a young cat who had a clean bill of health. I know things do come up when you have animals but it's not like I've had him for years and all of a sudden he has this. He was sold to me with the sickness and without me knowing.
I don't know what to do right now.
I'm 17 and only have a part time job and I have to pay for all the bills.
I am also going to contact the breeder of him and see what she says and see if maybe she would like to take him back because she did want him back in the first place.

:confused: :(

Catty1
07-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd talk to the breeder.

I wonder if the breeder or the owner would treat him for his conditions?

Otherwise...I wonder if there is someone, either on PT or elsewhere, that would be willing to take him on.

Pawla
07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh, Buttercup, I'm so sorry! I just love your boys. I know this is an awful situation for you. Just know that you, and Ivy are in my thoughts, and prayers.

wolflady
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
That's strange, because my heart cat Marius has a grade 3 heart murmur, and my vet indicated that it's really nothing to worry about at this point. Marius never had a heart murmur before, so having it appear suddenly (about 3 years ago now) was alarming. They did an ultrasound on him and discovered a grade 3. He doesn't require meds at this point, but I do have to keep a close eye to see if any of his behavior changes. My vet told me that as long as he's acting normal, that there's nothing to worry about. I'll just have to bring him in once a year or so to make sure it's not advancing. That was 3 years ago, and he's still consistent, which is good.
I would ask for a second opinion? How is Ivy acting? Is he behaving differently/more lethargic? It seems to me that they're treating this grade 3 as a grade 5 or 6, but maybe they use a different scale?

Regarding what to do with him if this really becomes serious, it probably would be in his best interest to go back to the breeder. Good luck and let us know what happens!

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 02:10 PM
WolfLady going to the vet I work at was my second opinion. I had already taken him to a vet which is how I discovered he had the grd 3. They mark it on a scale of up to 6.
After hearing you say that your vet said it was nothing to worry about it makes me think if I gave him back it would be for no reason and that I would be wrong.
How he acts is kind of weird he has this odd routine it seems. One day he will just sleep all day and not move from that spot all day, not even to eat or drink and usually the next day he is more active (active as in walking around the house and eating/drinking). Sometimes though he stays sleeping for 2 days.

The only thing I'd worry about with sending him back to his breeder is that he would have to fly and he's not UTD in shots because of his stupid previous owner. I wouldn't want to put more stress on him with his heart because with high murrmors they can have heart attacks more easily.

kuhio98
07-12-2007, 02:12 PM
What is an OG?

Pepper has a SIX heart murmur. No medication will help. She is going strong 4 years after we adopted her. She's never been sick a day in her life -- except as a reaction to her vaccinations.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
What is an OG?

Pepper has a SIX heart murmur. No medication will help. She is going strong 4 years after we adopted her. She's never been sick a day in her life -- except as a reaction to her vaccinations.
The Original owner I don't know why I put OG it doesn't make much sense.
What did your vet say to do about Pepper's murrmor?
Ivy also has problems breathing and coughs alot because of it. There are different things that can be wrong with the heart with each grade. Some can be a lower grade but still be bad.

kuhio98
07-12-2007, 02:47 PM
What did your vet say to do about Pepper's murrmor?
Ivy also has problems breathing and coughs alot because of it. There are different things that can be wrong with the heart with each grade. Some can be a lower grade but still be bad.Back in 2002, the vet listened to her heart. He shook his head. Said it was the worst heart murmur he had ever heard. On the scale of 1 to 6, it is a 6. No medication will help. No treatment -- they don't do kitty heart transplants. He told us to just take her home and love her. That she might not have a long life, but she could have a good life.

Pepper is only 6 pounds. The vet said her small size is easier on her heart. Pepper runs and plays but takes frequent naps (don't all cats?) She is like a little kid. You know how they play, play, play and then collapse and sleep deeply? You can see that she breathes very rapidly but she's never had problems breathing. She doesn't cough at all.

It sounds like she's been very lucky so far. Even though it is a bad murmur, she doesn't have the symptoms that Ivy has.

carole
07-12-2007, 02:52 PM
What a dilemma for you, I really donot envey your decision making ahead of you, only you and you alone can make the call, and i am sure you will do what is best for Ivy and you.

My older cat Ash has a heart murmur, i am not sure of the grade, but it is considered low, and he is fine, he sleeps more and tends to sneeze a lot,and has a few unwell days, but we are not sure if that is due to the problem or not, in general he is a healthy old boy for his age,despite the usual age related problems.

Good luck and i hope all works out well for you.

jenluckenbach
07-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Gee, I don't know what to say except to agree with WolfLady. Both Willow AND Fern have a grade 3 heart murmur and have NEVER been on any medication nor ever had any tests. I am just to watch for signs such as labored breathing etc. But they have never been sick in their lives (Fern is 11 and Willow is 7).

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
See that's the thing though. Some of you are saying your cats have them but don't show any signs. Ivy dose, I even posted a video of what he sounds like. He has troubles breathing and he coughs alot.

Catty1
07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Okay, just remind me - is the vet sure that the coughing and breathing problems are because of the murmur?

Freedom
07-12-2007, 04:13 PM
If you haven't already, I think you should speak with the breeder.

Do you know if the breeder has a website?

I ask because I found this contract on line from ONE sphynx breeder. http://www.doggydayscatnapacres.com/sphynxcontract.html It specifically states that no kitten will be sold with even a slight heart murmur. So if nothing else, the breeder will want to KNOW that one kitten in one litter developed such a condition.

The breeder may actually have some suggestions which none of us will; depending upon how much experience the breeder has.

I do think you are right to return to the cat to one of them and get your money back. This cat is currently not only with a heart murmur but also with many symptoms. This should have been disclosed to you before you even put down a deposit!

What a difficult situation.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
They are pretty positive. They can't know for sure unless there are test done. They think he could have too much fluids in his heart which would be shown on a ultrasound and he would have to be on meds for life to keep that under control.
They thought maybe a poylups but the other vet didn't see anything and the second vet said he highly doubts it a poylups.
He went on antibiotics for a URI because she said it could be that but it's also unlikley and they didn't help him.

Do you guys think I should just leave him then and say no to all these test? I was thinking about that the other day but then again he does cough and have trouble breathing so maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.

EDIT: Sorry Freedom I never saw your post:o .
Yes the breeder has a site. I don't think she breeds anymore and if so not often at all because she is into rescuing now.
http://www.defuzzld.com/
I have emailed her I said almost exactly what I said on here (just different wording because I can't copy paste) and asked her what she thinks I should do. I also told her I have been advised by a few people (which means the people on PT and my family and boss) to contact her and see if she will take him back.

The thing I am scared of with giving Ivy back to the person I got him from is I don't think she will give him the proper vet care (being as she failed to before) or that she will re sell him to someone and not say he has a heart murrmor again and then they obvioulsy too will not give him the care he needs or they will go to the vet and find out the same thing I did.

When the breeder replies to my e mail I will ask her if she has a copy of the contract she is always helpful like that and always offers to give me previous vet papers she has and she offered to give me another copy of his pedigree papers (if the very very original owner even signed a contract). I also don't know if it would apply to me because I'm not the person who bought him and signed the contract.

I Probably Would Return Ivy And Buy A Healthy Cat.
That's what my boss said. But I don't know if thats right..I don't know if I would even want another one after Ivy. In all honesty I got him because he had be up for sale in the classified ads for so long and I felt bad for him or else I don't think I would have got another cat. But I'm also worried about Duck if Ivy dose go. I don't know if another cat for him to bond to would be better for him or not.
Either way if I did sent Ivy back and decided I want another one it wouldn't be for a long time. I'd like to do it properly this time and go through a good breeder who has a good contract.

catmandu
07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
We Are Certainly Not Going To Pass Judgement As I Do Not Know What I Would Do If I Had A Cat Whoses Tests Would Start At 2000 Especially If I Was Starting Out.
I Probably Would Return Ivy And Buy A Healthy Cat.
We Are Praying That That Sweet Dear Little Cat Will Be All Right And Our Prayers Go Out To You.

jenluckenbach
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, if he is having symptoms with breathing etc, than this murmur is very likely causing him distress. As I said, mine do not, but I am soppose to look for things like troubled breathing.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 05:05 PM
His breeder just e mailed me back saying this

Hi Alicia,

Please do not give him back to this previous owner who obviously never cared for him and actually physically disfigured him from what you have said. You can send him back to me at anytime if you'd like. On the otherhand, like what I've said before - often all the testing in the world really does nothing for the cat. Even if something is diagnosed, not much changes for the cat's life expectancy. If he's happy and in no stages of heart failure there is no reason not to just let him live happily as a pet. He could live his life with no problems, or he could at some point advance to heart disease. Its really unknown when you have no idea what has caused the heart murmur or whether it will ever progress, etc.... But quite honestly even with all the testing in the world the outcome won't change much. So its really a question of just giving him a happy life.

But PLEASE if you do not want to keep him return him to me, not to an owner who only had him for a short time, got him no routine vet care, and gave him up already. I think you care more about him than to do that. If you want to send him back to me we'd have to have him shipped, Continental is the only airline that ships in total temperature control and this time of year that would be needed. I would have to pick him up in Minneapolis on a weekend and we'd have to work out the plan for that because I travel a lot for business so we'd have to get it scheduled in.

I will be e mailing her back telling her about his coughing and breathing and see what she says about that.
Oh and what she means by disfigured is his tail because it has so many kinks. The person I got him from said her sister ran over his tail with a chair.

Catty1
07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
The person I got him from said her sister ran over his tail with a chair.

:rolleyes: OMG..... :mad:

Poor wittle Ivy...

I am glad the breeder is being so good...are you far away from her? It's a time when a lot of people are on holidays...is she close enough for a friend to drive Ivy there?

I am glad you are asking about the breathing thing. It might not be connected, in this case, though I realize it often is. Just make sure.

I know it's summer...but do you have some Vicks and a vaporizer?

Also - I don't know what it is called, but there is a liquid that clears sinuses - maybe he's got some kind of post nasal drip. Vets have it. You can either put drops up his nose (yeah, mine too - NOT! lol) or put it on a little 'mask' and just hold it over his muzzle for 6-7 breaths.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 05:26 PM
No he would have to be shipped she's in the U.S.
I think I have Vicks but what do I do with it/what will it do?

Catty1
07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Well, it won't cure anything. But use it for Ivy as if you had a cold and were using it for yourself. Maybe your mom or dad can help.

If Ivy is ok being in the bathroom with the door closed, that is a good place to "steam" him. Or in any smaller room; if he does freak out, maybe stay with him for 1/2 hour. (you will breathe it too, but that's ok)

I am suggesting this on the basis that it won't hurt his heart murmur or anything else. Please give your one vet a call and see if this is ok to do.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 05:51 PM
She got back to me again and I'm a little confused by this e mail.
Is she making me give him back to her?:confused:
All I said was he is coughing and has problems breathing.
I was also thinking though maybe it would be good for him to go back with her because she seems to know alot about murmurs and other problems.

Well its a little more complex than that. There are probably more minimal diagnostics that could be done simply to determine if he had fluid in his lungs from heart failure if that is your concern. Things to improve quality of life, starting him on meds as you mentioned, etc... That certainly does not take $2000 of diagnostic work. Most vets go this more realistic route when dealing with a pet. You can treat the symptoms without knowing the full root cause. If you're seeing coughing from heart failure you'd be seeing it a lot and it would be exercise related - ie when he ran, played, etc... Is that what you're seeing?

But yes, please lets arrange to have you ship him back to me. I could do it next Saturday the 21st, or the following weekend on the 28th. Let me know if you want me to make the arrangements with Continental or if you want to. You'd just have to check with me first on exact dates/times. You'll need to get his health certificate within 10 days of the flight and provide his kennel and travel supplies. If you have never shipped by air before you can log onto Continental's website for full requirements and details. With Continental the weight break for charges is at 10lbs (which he'll be over) so up to 50lbs is the same price, so I'd advise getting a large enough kennel that you can put a travel litterbox in the back and a comfortable bed in the front for that long of a flight.
Ok, so just let me know what we can work out to get him back here and safe!

jenluckenbach
07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't believe she is FORCING you to return him, I think she is going ahead with what you said you wanted......to give him back.

I think you need to decide what to do.

The breeder is correct in saying that knowing an EXACT cause may not be needed in order to provide quality of life. YES, it is helpful to know the cause, but it may not affect the outcome.

Since you say this was your secod vet opinion, it may not help to find yet a third vet, but having a vet who can be open, honest and straight forward is an asset.

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Since you say this was your secod vet opinion, it may not help to find yet a third vet, but having a vet who can be open, honest and straight forward is an asset The second vet was. He is a friend of my boss and her mom. They have known him since before he even opened up a vet office and they helped him to get it started. I would like to think he is honest and straight forward with them. If there was any treatment that could have been done there I would have got it done for free so I think he would also like to go the easiest cheapest route.

catmandu
07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
It May Be Better In The Long Run To Return Poor Ivy As You Would Always Be Worried About Him And Watching Him Constantly. I Think Shes Being A Responsible Breeder By Taking Ivy Back And You Cannot Ask For More Than That. What A Shame That Ivy Did Not Work Out.

Catty1
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I read the breeder's first and latest email, and she seems to be saying that there is no point spending $2,000.00 on tests for Ivy. As she said, most vets would treat the symptoms rather than the root cause(which $2,000 may not tell anything about).

Is his coughing worse when he runs or plays? She asked that, because if that is when it happens, then it is likely related to the heart problem.

If he does it whether active or not, then it's something else. His sinuses could be clogged, or he might have a bronchitis or something.

I think the breeder also wants to spare you expensive tests that two vets have advised on. If his coughing appears to be from something else, and that can be treated - then you could keep him in good health.

I think the breeder just doesn't want you to be overwhelmed by keeping him, that's all.

shais_mom
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I am very sorry to hear this and I know you will do what is best for IVY.
For what its worth - It didn't think she was forcing you to do anything- if you tell her you want to keep him for awhile - I'm sure she would be ok with that - the first email said anytime...
good luck

buttercup132
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
For now I'm just going to think about it for a couple days.
Maybe make a pro and con list for what's best for Ivy myself and Ducky.

Sevaede
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm so sorry Buttercup. :(

I found out earlier this year that my Little Dog had a grade 3 murmur but the vet said it was nothing really to worry about. However, she did end up passing away a few months later. :( She did have a coughing problem and seizure problem that the vet attributed towards the murmur. We had thought she had a collapsing trachea all along (that's one of the reasons she went to the vet and found out about that, I was getting ready for her to have surgery on the trachea)!

I'm confused about that and am curious to see what else your vet says about them! :)

Freedom
07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Excellent! this is a very tough decision. Don't rush into it.

The breeder seems to be doing 2 things: 1. stepping up to the plate, as a good breeder should, and saying hey look, things aren't right, I take the cat back, no questions. That is highly commendable of her! 2. in the 2d message, she is saying there are other tests, not diagnostic, which are less than the $2000, and those will just help to address symptoms without finding the cause. If she gets Ivy back, it sounds like this is the route she will pursue. She says "miminal tests to determine if there is fluid in the lungs," and if there is, then the vet prescribes meds to address that. And those meds improve the quality of life.

I remember the video you posted with the sounds of Ivy breathing. In your pro and con list, you need to mark down if you keep Ivy, will you let things be with the breathing like that? Or will you have some additional vetting done to address that? And I think THAT is the minimal testing the breeder is referring to. (I hope I made that clear; I re worded it three times.)

You've got some time and still be able to arrange things for the 21st if you decide to return Ivy. Bless you, this is such a tough one!

emilysgk
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I think the breeder sounds truly concerned for the cat and that is why she wanted him back. She wasn't, nor can she, force you to give him back. (Unless you were the original owner and it was in contract, which does not involve you) I think she is worried about his health and just wants to be sure he is ok. Its also true that other things can be done to figure out the coughing thing and wheather its related or not. As far as I know a good chest x-ray can even help in determining if he has fluid build up or an enlarged heart. Im sure you will make the best decision for you and him.

carole
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree I think the breeder is concerned for Ivy's welfare and that is a good thing, it is a toughie alright, but i think i would keep him myself, honestly judging by the many people here including myself who have kitties with heart murmurs they rarely have many problems, but of course Ivy might be the exception, you really do have to weigh up the pros and cons,and do what is best for you and Ivy in the long run.

jennielynn1970
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM

I think you need to take yourself and Ducky out of the equation and focus on what is best for IVY.

Will you be able to care for him if his condition worsens? How much are you and your family willing and able to afford?

I'd contact the breeder and see what you can do about the shipping, and decide on the date if you cannot or do not want to have a pet that may be sick for his entire life. He may have good days, and he may have bad days, but that is reality.

Do what is best for IVY. That really doesn't take pros or cons. That takes one decision. Do you want to have him live a life with you, knowing that he may become very sick at some point in the near, or not so near, future? If so, keep him and love him for the sweet boy his is, and know that it may be a long life, but it may not. Or do you want to have the breeder to take care of him and find out exactly what is wrong (if that is what she was saying she would do). If she would not keep him but have him PTS, I think I'd keep him!

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Alicia, I'm sorry to hear about Ivy.:( This is a very difficult decision and you really need to think about what's best for Ivy. I'm sure that we'll all support you with whatever decision you decide. If it was me, I'd probably just keep him and give him lots of love and attention and try to keep him as comfortable as possible with whatever time you may have with him.

caffeitina
07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
No! No! No!...PLEASE don't give Ivy back to the breeder. From the sounds of things, they never really took care of him properly there :( With you, Ivy has a comfortable and loving home, and losing that would be very traumatic for the little guy and, probably, negatively impact the delicate condition he's already in :( My vote is PLEASE TRY to keep Ivy.

Maybe you can talk to your vet, the one who is a friend of the family. Ask if you can work out a payment plan to cover the bills for Ivy's testing and treatment. I'm certain he would be open to the idea...couldn't hurt to ask.

Or maybe your parents can help you out a little as this is a medical emergency concerning a family member (Moms and Dads are usually good for stuff like that).

Either way, please try to do what's best for Ivy--both healh wise and emotionally. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out for the best :)

Catty1
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Caffeitina - the breeder sold Ivy to another owner, and it was THAT owner that treated Ivy so badly.

The breeder did NOT want Ivy to go back there.

If Buttercup wants to talk to her vet about just treating symptoms, then it might be worth keeping Ivy, and keeping him on a med or two.

I can't see the breeder having Ivy shipped all the way back to her just to have Ivy PTS. Makes no sense.

caffeitina
07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Caffeitina - the breeder sold Ivy to another owner, and it was THAT owner that treated Ivy so badly.

The breeder did NOT want Ivy to go back there.

If Buttercup wants to talk to her vet about just treating symptoms, then it might be worth keeping Ivy, and keeping him on a med or two.

I can't see the breeder having Ivy shipped all the way back to her just to have Ivy PTS. Makes no sense.

Oops. I misunderstood (there were a lot of posts to go through to get the whole story). I'm sorry :(

Catty1
07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
NP! :) I find it hard to be a speed reader myself!

moosmom
07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
The things you need to ask yourself are these:

Is he suffering?
Is he using the litterbox?
Is he eating?

If not, then JennLibrarian is right...
If she would not keep him but have him PTS, I think I'd keep him!

AS LONG AS HE'S NOT SUFFERING. That is what's in Ivy's best interest.

There's your answer.

mrspunkysmom
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Another option is to keep him and ask the breeder for a refund to pay for medical expenses. She knowingly sold you a cat in poor health while representing him as good health.

Just my take.

jennielynn1970
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Another option is to keep him and ask the breeder for a refund to pay for medical expenses. She knowingly sold you a cat in poor health while representing him as good health.

Just my take.

She didn't get Ivy from the breeder. She got Ivy from the 2nd owner from what I understand. The first owner bought from the breeder, then that owner sold him to a 2nd owner, who then sold him to Alicia.

I have no idea who she'd get a "refund" from... unless she filed a claim in small claims court, to recapture the money she has spent on a "healthy" cat, only to find out she was taken advantage of. That way maybe she could bet reimbursed for the expenses, and keep Ivy and have more money in the end to help with his health?? Not sure how small claims courts work in her state.

I'd just be worried what a breeder would do with what they would declare a "defective" cat. It's usually not a happy ending. :(

buttercup132
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I re assure you she will NOT put Ivy to sleep as long as he is in no pain.
Why would a breeder do that anyways?:confused:

Maybe you can talk to your vet, the one who is a friend of the family. Ask if you can work out a payment plan to cover the bills for Ivy's testing and treatment. I'm certain he would be open to the idea...couldn't hurt to ask.

I couldn't do that anyways they can't do anything for him at that vet. He needs to see a specialist he said. So he would have no control over it.

jennielynn1970
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I re assure you she will NOT put Ivy to sleep as long as he is in no pain.

Why would a breeder do that anyways?:confused:

Oh my, there are many things you will learn about breeders, and they are not all happy. You would be amazed at what some of them will do with what they determine to be a "defective" cat... one they can't sell, or breed or whatever. Those cats are of no use to many of them, and a lot of times, if they can't find someone to keep them as pets, they have them put to sleep.

Breeders are not always the best places around. That's why many of us are PRO-RESCUE... and would rather have a shelter cat than buy an overpriced one from a breeder. It's just supporting the over breeding of cats when there are already so many cats without homes. :(

Look into the whole puppy mill and cat breeding lifestyle... you'll want to throw up. Granted there are reputable breeders out there, but for every reputable one, there are probably 9 others that are not.

buttercup132
07-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Sorry for no updates. I got into a bit of a tussle with the breeder and she sent a pretty hurtful email back. For now I would like to keep it to myself what it was about but just thought I'd fill you guys in a little.

Anikaca77
07-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Dear..you have a hard decision to make...it's never easy and I understand what you mean about being young and not expecting this to ever happen...You will make the right decision for you Duckie and Ivy....

Please take time is the best decision and take care of yourself and those babies...

Sorry for no updates. I got into a bit of a tussle with the breeder and she sent a pretty hurtful email back. For now I would like to keep it to myself what it was about but just thought I'd fill you guys in a little.

heidiv
07-14-2007, 05:42 PM
What a dear sweet little kitty!! I have been away for sometime but if you don't mind me asking did Ivy cost big$$$$$????? I am sure that he did if he is a hairless kitty aren't they prone to allergies in general???? I guess I would go that route first if I had to make the decition. See if that is a possibility????? Going back to his breeder might not be the best thing for him. Is there a hairless rescue in your area that could take him if you aren't out a ton of money? I understand how much of a pickle you feel you are in right now I wouldn't know what to do either. But I am thinking that if possibly it could be something else I would see if that is at all a possibility and then go from there. There are a ton of groups out there that could possibly help him. Man if I could, I would consider taking him and giving him a good life for as long as I could. Let me get on line with a purebred rescue lady that I know from my state of Wisconsin and see if this might be an option it they would take care of him. I will just ask and see what I find out????? I am here for you no judgements this has got to be a hard thing to be dealing with. Support only from this girl. ((((HUGS)))) for the distress this must be causing you. Let me do my work and I will get back to you soon! Give that little sweety a big hug from me.

moosmom
07-14-2007, 07:46 PM
JennLibrarian is right. There are things you breeders do that would curl your hair!!!

If a breeder feels that there's a "defective" cat, and it will make their cattery look questionable, they will put the cat to sleep.

I'm not saying that Ivy's breeder would do that or that all breeders do that, just that some breeders have been known to do that.

Catty1
07-14-2007, 08:06 PM
buttercup...my internet was down from yesterday morning til Just Now...

I am sorry the breeder sent you a hurtful email.

From your earlier posts, she was suggesting that Ivy didn't have to see a specialist...that what they found wouldn't make any difference.

It was suggested to just treat the symptoms. In this case, get the vet to try some meds to stop the cough.

AGAIN - is the coughing worse when he is playing or running? If it IS, then the breeder said it probably is the heart murmur.

If NOT - then the cough is something else, and might be easily treated.

I know you posted this a long time ago - but when does Ivy's coughing happen? Is there anything that seems to make it better or worse?

buttercup132
07-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I talked with the person I got him from again and after the e mail I got before from the breeder I decided she's not the person I thought she was and don't feel comfortable giving Ivy back to her anymore.
The person I got him from said if she re sells him she will tell the person about his murmur and give them all his vet papers. If she decides not to re sell him he will get take him to the vet.
Please don't be mad in my desicion.

Whisk_Luva
07-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Wait... are you giving him back or not?

Either way I respect your decision (sp?)

buttercup132
07-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Wait... are you giving him back or not?

Either way I respect your decision (sp?)
Yes I'm giving him back to the person I got him from.

jenluckenbach
07-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Best of luck to Ivy. I am so sorry that he did not work out for you. :(
Will this person keep you updated so you don't have to wonder how he is?

momcat
07-15-2007, 04:20 PM
[b][color=#000080]Please don't be mad in my desicion.
After reading through your thread, how could anyone be mad about your decision? Unfortunately this was a very difficult and painful decision you had to make. If I were in your place I honestly don't know what I would have done. When you adopted Ivy you had no idea of what his situation really was and found yourself in a terrible situation with no real options. Give credit where it's due, you didn't rush into anything and contacted the right people (for better or worse). My prayers are going out for both you and Ivy. If you can, please let us know what happens?

Catty1
07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Good job, Buttercup...I hope this lady will keep you updated. His coughing is maybe something she can get checked, and can be treated ok.

I hope she keeps you updated...would be nice to see Ivy pics, if she is willing.

I hope Ducky doesn't get too lonely...there might be a Sphynx rescue somewhere with another nekkid cat that needs a good home. Check the adoption fees first. Moosmom might know of one or two.

Give the little guy a hug for me! :)

Ya done good in a really difficult decision.

jennielynn1970
07-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Could you try to find a Sphynx rescue that would help him?? It didn't sound like the previous owner was too responsible either. I'd have a hard time giving him to any of the previous people.

Freedom
07-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Bless you for taking the time to work through this!

buttercup132
07-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Best of luck to Ivy. I am so sorry that he did not work out for you. :(
Will this person keep you updated so you don't have to wonder how he is?
Yes and if she re homes him I'll make sure I get the new persons e mail.
He's still my baby I'd hate to not know whats going on with him. I'm giving her my vet papers too so if she re homes him she can give those papers to the new owner.

Catty I know it will be hard on Duck but for now he has Hank and miss Molly to help cheer him up. Of course I'll be sure to give him extra lovings and explain to him why Ivy went. I'm sure we will both be able to comfort each other and help each other.

Of course I'll keep you guys updated.

Pawla
07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Please don't be mad in my decision.
How could anyone be mad at you? You had a very difficult decision, and handled it beautifully. Everyone here knows how you feel about your naked babies, and this is something beyond your control. You, Ivy, and Duck will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you, and good luck to Ivy.